Rubber Lever End Thingies

misterprofessionality_imp said:
mine took several hours, and i destroyed one and had to re-order in the process.
Petroleum jelly - the stuff you use to halt battery terminal corrosion, yeah. Just a bit - "s-s-s-s-s-muck" and you are done. Too much, and you might crack a fingernail re-trying.

But when not watching, sometimes they just appear on overnight.
 
Like we say in the wood bow building craft.. We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.
 
Thread starter
Tell us how you installed your RLETs, Ferret. :D
 
Well, my battery died for good yesterday (in a gas station, no less), so I guess I'll have to buy a new one and wait on the rubber thingees until my wife forgets that I spent money on the battery. I'm just coming off of the flurry of nickel-and-dime purchases for the bike after buying it, so she's keen to my moto-expenditures at this time.

Luckily, the gas station was at the top of a slight rise, so I was able to get some momentum pushing away from the gas pump, pop the clutch and get home.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, my battery died for good yesterday (in a gas station, no less), so I guess I'll have to buy a new one and wait on the rubber thingees until my wife forgets that I spent money on the battery. I'm just coming off of the flurry of nickel-and-dime purchases for the bike after buying it, so she's keen to my moto-expenditures at this time.

Luckily, the gas station was at the top of a slight rise, so I was able to get some momentum pushing away from the gas pump, pop the clutch and get home.
This is a skill that's lost on my generation. Numerous times in my life i've had a bike with a dead battery and never ever been able to get this to work. the rear tire just locks up lol. I look forward to never having to try it again.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, my battery died for good yesterday (in a gas station, no less), so I guess I'll have to buy a new one and wait on the rubber thingees until my wife forgets that I spent money on the battery. I'm just coming off of the flurry of nickel-and-dime purchases for the bike after buying it, so she's keen to my moto-expenditures at this time.

Luckily, the gas station was at the top of a slight rise, so I was able to get some momentum pushing away from the gas pump, pop the clutch and get home.
This is a skill that's lost on my generation. Numerous times in my life i've had a bike with a dead battery and never ever been able to get this to work. the rear tire just locks up lol. I look forward to never having to try it again.
The trick is to use a higher gear, not first. Get the bike into 3rd, pull the clutch, start running, hop on, dump the clutch. The wheel will have a much easier time getting the engine to turn.

OH, first be sure your ignition is set to "run." Don't know how many times I've worked up a sweat kicking or pushing a bike with the ignition off. DOH!
 
Bob750_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, my battery died for good yesterday (in a gas station, no less), so I guess I'll have to buy a new one and wait on the rubber thingees until my wife forgets that I spent money on the battery. I'm just coming off of the flurry of nickel-and-dime purchases for the bike after buying it, so she's keen to my moto-expenditures at this time.

Luckily, the gas station was at the top of a slight rise, so I was able to get some momentum pushing away from the gas pump, pop the clutch and get home.
This is a skill that's lost on my generation. Numerous times in my life i've had a bike with a dead battery and never ever been able to get this to work. the rear tire just locks up lol. I look forward to never having to try it again.
The trick is to use a higher gear, not first. Get the bike into 3rd, pull the clutch, start running, hop on, dump the clutch. The wheel will have a much easier time getting the engine to turn.

OH, first be sure your ignition is set to "run." Don't know how many times I've worked up a sweat kicking or pushing a bike with the ignition off. DOH!
Ha! Been there, done that!
 
Thread starter
Aside from the fact that I find running nearly impossible now, I’m not sure I’d want to try running alongside the CB and jumping onto it. It would surely end in tears.
 
Yeah, I have done it many times, but always sitting on the bike. I too, can imagine things becoming more expensive than a battery if I tried to jump on a rolling bike. If all else fails, there's AMA.
 
I had a guy help me while I was trying to bump start my Bonneville. He got behind me and started to push. I warned him that when she fires it might be a little loud. He was not prepared for the vertical twin roar when it did. Poor fella. Prolly needed new shorts.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Aside from the fact that I find running nearly impossible now, I’m not sure I’d want to try running alongside the CB and jumping onto it. It would surely end in tears.

:rofl: I hear ya. I had to do it last year.....took me 3 tries.


Lost arts to anyone under 50 .... Kick starting amd bump starting
 
I’ve done the ol’ run, jump, and bump many times on the CB, when I kept putting off getting a new battery. It was kinda fun tbh, and I got pretty darn good at it. :angel:

And yes, use a higher gear like 2nd or 3rd as stated. And do as the title suggests and just “bump” the clutch, as opposed to dumping it and bogging the motor down. Quick out and then back in. Easy peasy.
 
First time I learned to bump a clutch was in dad’s Pinto at age 7. He taught me which was clutch and gas and started pushing. Forgot to tell me which one stopped the car. Never saw him run so fast.
 
Back
Top