Poll: How many are having problems with rear Brakes?

The ferret_imp said:
I did go up to my shop and asked the service mgr to ride mine, but he said he couldn't leave the counter that he would have to have a tech ride it, but they were all on other jobs at the time. I haven't made it back up there yet..but I need to.
They should have made time to ride that bike. If I was the dealership owner and a client come in with a suspected brake issue I'd want it addressed immediately. Stuff like happens more then once and I take my business down the street. It would take all of what ten minutes to throw on a helmet and ride that bike around the block or perhaps just in the dealership parking lot. They want the check written quick enough. I'm easy going but that's not good business for anyone. I know the owners of my dealership and had that been me I would have quietly informed the owner. Bet it wouldn't happen again. If they're too busy to keep my bike safe I'm too busy to bring it back the second time. Not to say they had to fix it on the spot but a quick look see would be the minimum I would expect. I believe Mr Ferret is maybe too nice of a fellow???
 
Well, if I believed I was in immediate danger with the rear brake situation, I might have been more ademant, but I have ridden the bike since Easter like this, going on 5,000 miles, and another day or week doesn't make much difference. I am easy going though by nature.
 
Brakes are a huge liability issue. They should have jumped RIGHT on it. I mentioned that I thought I had a brake problem on my car and they couldn't get me in fast enough to check them out.

Has anybody called Honda about this? I've been meaning to, but haven't. Or maybe the NHTSA?
 
I stopped in at my dealer last week and mentioned this "brake issue" to them. They have sold 4 CB1100's as of now and one of them is the service department manager's bike. They have no issues reported with their bikes, 2 ABS and 2 not...
 
Went out for a ride this afternoon on mine, and I'm beginning to think Chip might be right, it might be a bleed issue. I notice the brake lever goes down further on the first push and not as far on subsequent pushes. The brakes work better on the second push and better yet on the third push. I hope to get it up to the shop in the next week to have them look at it. If not I have the surgery next Friday, then 4 weeks recuperation, then a 1 week bike trip so if I don't get it done next week, it will be awhile.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Went out for a ride this afternoon on mine, and I'm beginning to think Chip might be right, it might be a bleed issue. I notice the brake lever goes down further on the first push and not as far on subsequent pushes. The brakes work better on the second push and better yet on the third push. I hope to get it up to the shop in the next week to have them look at it. If not I have the surgery next Friday, then 4 weeks recuperation, then a 1 week bike trip so if I don't get it done next week, it will be awhile.
That sure does sound like air in the system.
 
I don't get why a brake bleed is such a huge deal for the shop. There are few shop tasks that are easier and quicker than that. They should be able to easily coordinate a repair appointment and fix it while you wait. There's probably air trapped in that looping rear brake hose. It would be cool to replace it with a braided stainless line though.
 
Its not just ferret. Mine are the same way.

If I ever get it back to the shop, I'll have them bleed them and see what that does.
 
Interesting note, I took a test ride on CTX700N that had ABS brakes... It was interesting during the ride how that bike reacted when I used just the rear brake like those who are claiming problems here, the bike didn't want to slow down like I am used to on my CB1100. I am guessing it was something with the ABS possibly?

Just thought it was strange how the rear wouldn't slow me to a stop when used by itself and the ABS system...
 
Maybe.

But mine doesn't have ABS
 
I just put that out there... that when I rode an ABS model bike the rear brake was as good as grunt...

Might be something for those with ABS to look at if they are experiencing this....

for those that do not have ABS, please forgive my comment about ABS...
 
dBuster_imp said:
I just put that out there... that when I rode an ABS model bike the rear brake was as good as grunt...

Might be something for those with ABS to look at if they are experiencing this....

for those that do not have ABS, please forgive my comment about ABS...
That's ironic, in that ABS braking systems are notorious for being difficult to bleed and being susceptible to having air in the system.
 
dBuster,

Hey bud, no problemo! More info is a good thing and that was an interesting observation.

Now if me and ferret could get our bikes in and brakes bled, maybe we would have some info to put out...
 
Mine will have to wait until after I heal up from the surgery Friday. Not going to make it to the dealer for awhile.

You need to get yours done popgun, and let me know if it helps.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Mine will have to wait until after I heal up from the surgery Friday. Not going to make it to the dealer for awhile.

You need to get yours done popgun, and let me know if it helps.
Ferret,

I was hoping you would get yours done first :angel:
The weather has finally cleared up good so I guess I need to get it in and see what they say.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Mine will have to wait until after I heal up from the surgery Friday. Not going to make it to the dealer for awhile.

You need to get yours done popgun, and let me know if it helps.
Ferret,

I was hoping you would get yours done first :angel:
The weather has finally cleared up good so I guess I need to get it in and see what they say.
Sorry popgun, I should have got it in, but I rode the ST couple hundred miles yesterday. Met a buddy for lunch up near Columbus Ohio. Rode the Majesty the day before that to my pre-op physical and my yearly eye exam. Tomorrow I have my 11 month old grandson all day, and Friday is the knee surgery. I just ran out of time.
 
dBuster_imp said:
I just put that out there... that when I rode an ABS model bike the rear brake was as good as grunt...

Might be something for those with ABS to look at if they are experiencing this....

for those that do not have ABS, please forgive my comment about ABS...
dBuster,

The rear brake always feels like it's stronger on an ABS equipped CB11 because that brake pedal is activating the rear brake AND one of the calipers on the front brake too. The brake pedal on a non-ABS CB11 only activates the rear brake. Cheers.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
I just put that out there... that when I rode an ABS model bike the rear brake was as good as grunt...

Might be something for those with ABS to look at if they are experiencing this....

for those that do not have ABS, please forgive my comment about ABS...
dBuster,

The rear brake always feels like it's stronger on an ABS equipped CB11 because that brake pedal is activating the rear brake AND one of the calipers on the front brake too. The brake pedal on a non-ABS CB11 only activates the rear brake. Cheers.

Chip
dBuster,

The rear brake always feels like it's stronger on an ABS equipped CB11 because that brake pedal is activating the rear brake AND one of the calipers on the front brake too. The brake pedal on a non-ABS CB11 only activates the rear brake. Cheers.

Chip
When I said that the rear brake was for sh!t. It wasn't stopping the bike like the rear brake on my NON abs CB1100...

I think it was misunderstood when I meant as good as grunt... Personally, if ABS is anything like that bike I rode with it, you can keep that ABS... I wouldn't want anything like that...
 
The rear brake on my 2014 works just fine; will lock at any speed if I want it too (until the ABS kicks in). I love the front brakes on this thing!
 
Back
Top