Poll: How many are having problems with rear Brakes?

12,000kms and not a single problem. After bleeding the system it's performance did get a lot better (though it was easily satisfactory before).
 
2014 Standard, rear works ok; better than my Tuono but not as good as my Yamaha Bolt XV950. I use the rear (and front) when coming to a stop (that's how I was taught). I also use the rear to scrub off a few mph before a turn (like Ferret mentioned), also for extreme slow speed (crawling) maneuvering. When lane splitting/filtering at lower speeds, I cover the rear brakes at all times, just in case.
 
2013 STD and I've been getting a bumpy feedback when I'm braking with the rear at lower speeds. I'll be going 35 slowing to a stop at the light and at around 20-15mph, I'll get a very spastic response from the rear brake that I feel in my foot. Has bleeding the line been one of the better approaches to resolving this issue?
 
Specialist,

Those of us with rear brake problems pretty much cleared them up by bleeding them. And there was air in the line. Mine had a lot.
 
I read this whole thread and I haven't heard anyone say they felt a spazzing of the pedal like I do. My rear brake actually works fine regarding stopping power, I can engage it and slow down but the vibration of the pedal makes me worried about using it too much.
 
specialist8_imp said:
I read this whole thread and I haven't heard anyone say they felt a spazzing of the pedal like I do. My rear brake actually works fine regarding stopping power, I can engage it and slow down but the vibration of the pedal makes me worried about using it too much.
This same kind of "pulsing" you are describing has happened to me with some of our cars. It usually means that a brake rotor is thicker and thinner in various places around the rotor, thereby causing the pulsing sensation. With cars the mechanics typically machine the rotor to true it up into a plane again. Not sure if this is possible with smaller, more delicate MC brake rotors.

Good luck in sorting things out!
fritz
 
Fritz,

Ya know, that is a good possibility (And I did just have that happen on my car and they just turned the rotors and put on new pads).

I had 'air in the lines' of the brain, I guess. I think a member did have a rotor problem and posted about it. I THINK the dealer replaced the rotor under warrenty. I'd have to do some searching to be sure though.

This may be the thread. It shows and talks about a warped rear rotor. Rear Brake Hanging Pic
 
Sprout_imp said:
My rear brake works as expected--- 8K miles no issues VIN 1427
What year and model is your CB, Sprout?
 
Clever R4N. I see what you did. The DLX has ABS! :D
 
Loath as I am to quote myself (:D) this is how I see the rear brake situation. The rear brake on the CB (non ABS) is more than adequate for the job. It will lock up in a "test the rear brake" situation at low speed. If it doesn't, really stamp on it and see what happens. Good luck and don't blame me.

Cheers
 
This thread originated in 2013 and the bikes were just coming into the US.several of us we having issues with the non ABS rear brakes on our 2013 standards at the time, particularly with the power or progressiveness of the brakes. It was discovered that some were not bled properly at the factory and that time. Proper bleeding insured a proper feeling in the brake. Not sure any of the 2014 riders have experienced this issue, at least none that I have read about.

Again never an issue with front brakes on any year model, and only a limited numbers of 2013 standards were affected.
 
I'm curious about some of the replies on this thread. Mine is a 2014 DLX, obviously with ABS. Also as obvious is that the rear brake shouldn't lock up the tire (if it's working as designed). Just for fun, I have tried stopping the bike quickly with just the rear pedal, and the linked ABS works perfectly, applying just the right amount of both brakes and stopping the bike smartly with little or no front end dive. That said, I wouldn't rely on using only the pedal in an emergency...besides, for routine braking or emergencies, I always use some combination of both brake controls. Always.

For those without ABS, if you can't lock up your rear wheel at all no matter how hard you stomp on it, I would get that looked at right away. There's simply no way that can be acceptable, and I'm surprised by the number of folks who seem to shrug it off or have the attitude that rear brakes are just some kind of useless decoration or something.

My own daughter used to ride a CBR600, and she had somehow picked up advice from one of her rider friends to never use the rear brake, and I nearly lost my mind when I heard that. You better believe I corrected her. For anyone who believes that stuff, then why not disconnect and throw away the rear brakes on all your vehicles? Check with professional mountain bike and and road bike (bicycles) riders...I dare you to find a single one who never uses their rear brake.

Holy smokes. Sorry if I sound grouchy, but sometimes I can't help it...especially when I hear someone say they "never" use their rear brake as if it's something to be proud of or to feel clever about.
 
The ferret_imp said:
This thread originated in 2013 and the bikes were just coming into the US.several of us we having issues with the non ABS rear brakes on our 2013 standards at the time, particularly with the power or progressiveness of the brakes. It was discovered that some were not bled properly at the factory and that time. Proper bleeding insured a proper feeling in the brake. Not sure any of the 2014 riders have experienced this issue, at least none that I have read about.

Again never an issue with front brakes on any year model, and only a limited numbers of 2013 standards were affected.
You need to lay off the double talk sir. :P
 
lol sorry about that.. fixed. Having all kinds of connectivity issues with ipad and pc since last night for some reason. someday if you find me missing from the grid it's because I've taken a very large hammer to every electronic device I have,
 
Back
Top