Poll: How many are having problems with rear Brakes?

Does your non-ABS model have the proportional valve on the left front rotor? I'd always thought both models had Linked Braking System (LBS).
 
Nope no proportional valve and only ABS is linked which was the main reason I bought my non ABS
 
Would someone with an ABS/ linked unit please verify this?

The linked system is only on the abs models. It is easy to test. Put bike on centerstand. Make sure sidestand is up. Start bike. Put it in gear and let out clutch. rear wheel will spin. Pull in clutch and grab front brake lever. If it is linked it will stop or slow the rear wheel.

Now....

Turn off bike and have someone put weight on back, getting front wheel off ground. Now manually spin the front. Now depress the rear brake pedal. If you have linked brakes the front wheel will slow or stop.
 
The linked system/combined braking is one reason why I too shy'd away from an ABS model (which was my original intent).
 
The ferret_imp said:
Would someone with an ABS/ linked unit please verify this?

The linked system is only on the abs models. It is easy to test. Put bike on centerstand. Make sure sidestand is up. Start bike. Put it in gear and let out clutch. rear wheel will spin. Pull in clutch and grab front brake lever. If it is linked it will stop or slow the rear wheel.

Now....

Turn off bike and have someone put weight on back, getting front wheel off ground. Now manually spin the front. Now depress the rear brake pedal. If you have linked brakes the front wheel will slow or stop.
You're almost correct. There is a proportioning valve (very easy to see on the ST's left front caliper. Merely pulling the brake lever, while the front tire is spinning in the air, will not activate the valve. The brake disc has to have enough force against it (like a tire slowing on pavement) to have the valve depress, which will then activate the rear brakes of the bike. You could also accomplish this by getting the front tire in the air, pulling the brake lever hard enough to stop the tire, then manually apply enough force against the tire/wheel (forcing it to turn) to see the proportioning valve push into the assembly. Then, your back tire will stop spinning.
 
These show the differences between the std and the ABS models for the brake routing.

d3bd3145f9f0bd007918c127a78d02fa.jpg


3c8d12c53cac74bb4e168eb30761fd54.jpg


b268e516348f66692fd04e8138cb2f6b.jpg


a7755dd40094636f99f2a4932fb3ead1.jpg


53f8ab41dcbfa6b69cba1b0d46864321.jpg


ecfd46d28dcc39551c18ae2611bdf423.jpg
 
Thumper yes there is a proportionong valve on my ST, no such valve on my CB. To test proprtioning valve/ linked brake on thie ST I put it on centerstand lay next to bike on left side, spin rear wheel with my foot and manually push proportioning valve foward the front. After proprtioning valve/ linked brake stops wheel, I let go and wheel will spin again.
 
Ferret, I have ABS and I did the test you requested. The rear brake stops the front and rear wheels. The front brake only stops the front wheel. I believe this is the way linked brakes are supposed to work.
 
terrydlargo_imp said:
Ferret, I have ABS and I did the test you requested. The rear brake stops the front and rear wheels. The front brake only stops the front wheel. I believe this is the way linked brakes are supposed to work.
+1, that's how the Combined ABS works on the CB1100.
 
Ahhh very good, Thanks Terry. So on the linked/ABS model equipped bikes, ..the front lever activates the front brake only. The rear pedal activates the rear brake AND some of the front brakes.

On the NON ABS the front lever activates the front brake only and the rear pedal activates the rear brake only.

Thanks, clears it up definitively for me.
 
Mine are working good now, but I can not lock them up. They do bring me to a stop though.

I did/do have a problem with dragging the rear break. I had a car accident in 2011 and lost a lot of mobility and feeling in the right foot so I couldn't tell I was on the break. Apparently I warped the rear roter pretty badly. Anyone else have an issue with the rear pedal being too close?
 
terrydlargo_imp said:
Ferret, I have ABS and I did the test you requested. The rear brake stops the front and rear wheels. The front brake only stops the front wheel. I believe this is the way linked brakes are supposed to work.

BTW...This is the way linked brakes work on the CB 1100..not on the ST 1300.
 
Bbref36_imp said:
Mine are working good now, but I can not lock them up. They do bring me to a stop though.

I did/do have a problem with dragging the rear break. I had a car accident in 2011 and lost a lot of mobility and feeling in the right foot so I couldn't tell I was on the break. Apparently I warped the rear roter pretty badly. Anyone else have an issue with the rear pedal being too close?
That's always a danger if you have a foot problem or if you're a guy that hovers their foot over the brake pedal...like I used to be. Learned my lesson while riding my Triumph and started to get that cat piss burning smell... Got off and my rear rotor was black and super hot, pads turned to ash. Now I always ride with balls of foot on peg or toe angled outside of brake pedal so my foot is not over the brake until going to push it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ahhh very good, Thanks Terry. So on the linked/ABS model equipped bikes, ..the front lever activates the front brake only. The rear pedal activates the rear brake AND some of the front brakes.

On the NON ABS the front lever activates the front brake only and the rear pedal activates the rear brake only.

Thanks, clears it up definitively for me.
This experiment is interesting to me because it shows that the combined ABS of the CB1100 is different than the combined ABS of the Goldwing and the [url=http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/brake/p5.html#01]ST1300; specifically, the Goldwing and the ST1300 operate some rear brake when the front brake lever is actuated (functionality of the rear brake pedal is the same across all three bikes, some front and some rear brakes are applied when the rear brake pedal is depressed).

The CB1100 is similar, but not identical, to the combined braking system found on some vintage Moto Guzzis which have the following setup: when the front brake lever is actuated one of the two front disks is engaged (no rear disk is engaged) and when the rear brake lever is depressed the other front disk *and* the rear disk is engaged. In the vintage Guzzi setup, unlike our CB1100, you cannot obtain full front braking power by just using the lever (as you only have one of the two disks engaged by the front brake lever).

Prior to this thread I didn't appreciate there were so many different approaches to combined braking systems available on street motorcycles.
 
To sum up everything already stated:

The CB1100 and VFR1200F have Honda's "Combined ABS". Lever only actuates front brakes, pedal activates rear brake and some front brake. This is electronically controlled.

The ST1300 and GL1800 have Honda's "Linked Braking System" (LBS). Lever activates front brakes and some rear brake, pedal activates rear brake and some front brakes. This system is controlled (and delayed) through proportioning valves.
 
thumper_imp said:
To sum up everything already stated:

The CB1100 and VFR1200F have Honda's "Combined ABS". Lever only actuates front brakes, pedal activates rear brake and some front brake. This is electronically controlled.

The ST1300 and GL1800 have Honda's "Linked Braking System" (LBS). Lever activates front brakes and some rear brake, pedal activates rear brake and some front brakes. This system is controlled (and delayed) through proportioning valves.
One correction..The CB1100/ABS has what you described above, not the CB1100 non ABS unit.

Other than that by jove, I think we've got it!
 
I have the ABS model and my brakes are perfect.I am very glad that I bought the ABS ,getting older and with so many idiots on the road it gives me an added sense of security,especially on poorer road conditions.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
I am curious if any of you that are having rear brake issues have been back to your dealer for them to take a look?
I haven't yet, but I am going to talk to the service manager about maybe bleeding them when it goes in for service. He, naturally, wants to ride it first, and I'm good with that!
 
I did go up to my shop and asked the service mgr to ride mine, but he said he couldn't leave the counter that he would have to have a tech ride it, but they were all on other jobs at the time. I haven't made it back up there yet..but I need to.
 
Back
Top