Piranha vs. classic flyscreen

Yanivic_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi!

Has anyone tried both piranha and classic flyscreen on their CB? If so, can you share your thoughts on what you liked and disliked about the screens?

Thanks...
 
Thread starter
Thank you!

Do they do a decent job of deflecting or streamline the wind blast, relative to their size?
 
Yanivic, I have Dart Classics on both my CB and my Bonneville. For me, it blocks the wind on my chest, but keeps my head in "clean" air, which means no windshield-induced buffeting.

I like that, but of course, it means more wind noise in your helmet, and at high speeds, a little more exertion of the neck muscles.
 
XSR900 with bar risers rather than the CB1100, but I tried both the Classic and Marlin. The Marlin deflected a bit more wind while creating more noisy buffeting. The Classic was quieter, but still noisy, while offering a touch less protection.

In the end, the best solution was the super-tiny OEM fly screen from Yamaha. It added zero noise while protecting the instruments and giving me back the 5 mph at freeway speeds I'd lost due to the increased windblast from raising the bars. Perfect solution.

Moral of the story: the smaller the windshield, the better. Unless you're willing to look through, rather than over, a barndoor-sized monstrosity, windshields are a bad idea when paired with upright seating positions. Go with the absolute smallest screen you can find, and live with the smooth, clean windflow a naked standard is supposed to give you.

Best solution of all: no windshield. Get used to the clean windflow. It doesn't take long. Embrace it, even. Be thankful for it. Ride the thing as God and Honda intended.
 
Yanivic_imp said:
Thank you both...

Will have to try the piranha
And I will look forward to hearing of your experience as I'm in the market too! The piranha definitely looks the best of the three Darts, IMO.
 
After I got the V-Strom for use as a long-legged traveler, I decided to leave the CB naked, since it is my (sub)urban ride. I usually ride with earplugs, so the windshield noise doesn't bother me.
 
VLJ_imp said:
XSR900 with bar risers rather than the CB1100, but I tried both the Classic and Marlin. The Marlin deflected a bit more wind while creating more noisy buffeting. The Classic was quieter, but still noisy, while offering a touch less protection.

In the end, the best solution was the super-tiny OEM fly screen from Yamaha. It added zero noise while protecting the instruments and giving me back the 5 mph at freeway speeds I'd lost due to the increased windblast from raising the bars. Perfect solution.

Moral of the story: the smaller the windshield, the better. Unless you're willing to look through, rather than over, a barndoor-sized monstrosity, windshields are a bad idea when paired with upright seating positions. Go with the absolute smallest screen you can find, and live with the smooth, clean windflow a naked standard is supposed to give you.

Best solution of all: no windshield. Get used to the clean windflow. It doesn't take long. Embrace it, even. Be thankful for it. Ride the thing as God and Honda intended.
+1
 
VLJ_imp said:
XSR900 with bar risers rather than the CB1100, but I tried both the Classic and Marlin. The Marlin deflected a bit more wind while creating more noisy buffeting. The Classic was quieter, but still noisy, while offering a touch less protection.

In the end, the best solution was the super-tiny OEM fly screen from Yamaha. It added zero noise while protecting the instruments and giving me back the 5 mph at freeway speeds I'd lost due to the increased windblast from raising the bars. Perfect solution.

Moral of the story: the smaller the windshield, the better. Unless you're willing to look through, rather than over, a barndoor-sized monstrosity, windshields are a bad idea when paired with upright seating positions. Go with the absolute smallest screen you can find, and live with the smooth, clean windflow a naked standard is supposed to give you.

Best solution of all: no windshield. Get used to the clean windflow. It doesn't take long. Embrace it, even. Be thankful for it. Ride the thing as God and Honda intended.
Absolutely, the blast and bobble-head I got from the Dart Marlin I had on my 2013 CB1100 when following vans or trucks was too much. Took it off and ran without. Much better.

Of course, ymmv

Okay, with no screen I doubt I'd be comfortable doing the 85mph back from the daughter's I would do on my NC750, but then the NC never did fire my soul - the CB does.
 
Ya know, I hadn't looked at the Piranha screen. Coincidentally both of my bikes were equipped with Dart Classics by their previous owners. I do like the look of the Piranha, and since it mounts to the Classic frame, might have to pick one up for a little style change.
 
I bought a used 2013 CB1100 that had Dart classic windscreen. I rode it for 9K miles and averaged about 53 mpg. I then bought a brand new 2014 STD and because I [errantly] didn't think the Dart windscreen did much for my 2013 I didn't install one on my 2014. I was shocked to see only about 51 mpg on the 2014 even after it was broken in. It drove me crazy--even with the 2014's 6th gear I was getting consistently worse mpg than the 2013. Then it occurred to me...what if this is due to that silly little windscreen? At around 5K miles I installed a Dart classic on the 2014 and saw an immediate jump in mpg, up to about 55 mpg. Same roads, same riding style, but way better mpg. Of course you can buy a lot of gas for $160, but I do like to get great gas mileage (it's a game for me) and so it was worth it to me. I think it eliminates the turbulence around the instrument cluster as well as taking some pressure off your chest.
 
rickcb_imp said:
I bought a used 2013 CB1100 that had Dart classic windscreen. I rode it for 9K miles and averaged about 53 mpg. I then bought a brand new 2014 STD and because I [errantly] didn't think the Dart windscreen did much for my 2013 I didn't install one on my 2014. I was shocked to see only about 51 mpg on the 2014 even after it was broken in. It drove me crazy--even with the 2014's 6th gear I was getting consistently worse mpg than the 2013. Then it occurred to me...what if this is due to that silly little windscreen? At around 5K miles I installed a Dart classic on the 2014 and saw an immediate jump in mpg, up to about 55 mpg. Same roads, same riding style, but way better mpg. Of course you can buy a lot of gas for $160, but I do like to get great gas mileage (it's a game for me) and so it was worth it to me. I think it eliminates the turbulence around the instrument cluster as well as taking some pressure off your chest.
Besides improved ride comfort, general joy, and saving some stash with better fuel economy, the environment hates you less for it too - and that is good.
 
I have put my hand out in front of me at high speed, and felt no wind until I get up to about neck level - I was trying to figure out how far up the Dart Classic was pushing air around me. You have to figure that if the air below your helmet is being pushed aside, and your (hopefully) aerodynamic helmet is above that area, the air that's going around you isn't bouncing off of you, your gauges, and other oddly shaped things that create resistance, slow you down and burn extra fuel.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ya know, I hadn't looked at the Piranha screen. Coincidentally both of my bikes were equipped with Dart Classics by their previous owners. I do like the look of the Piranha, and since it mounts to the Classic frame, might have to pick one up for a little style change.
I like the way it looks as well, especially on a RS. Now that, I installed RS handlebar, I would have to try and piranha screen.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
 
Early this morning, I traded emails with someone at Dart, who was very helpful. She assured me that there was only one size of Piranha, and that it would easily swap between my two bikes. I had measured the two Classic screens on my bikes, and it looked like the mounting points weren't the same, but I may have measured incorrectly.
$59 shipped for the Piranha, and coincidentally, my insurance company just sent me a check for $60 saying I overpayed last year. I'll take that as a sign to buy it!
 
$59 shipped for the Piranha, and coincidentally, my insurance company just sent me a check for $60 saying I overpayed last year. I'll take that as a sign to buy it!
[/QUOTE]
That's too freeking cool!



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top