Piranha vs. classic flyscreen

With or without a Dart or RC 2 on my 2013 I’ve only ever averaged high 40s for mileage. I don’t particularly hammer the CB while riding but at 235 pounds and at 4500 feet altitude at a minimum that may be the best I can hope for. While I have the RC2 currently mounted on the bike I always liked the way the Dart looked just a little more. Particularly in the darker shade.
 
Just clicked the buy button. Heck, I'd be crazy not to buy it! :cool:

I'll report back with some pics of the Classic vs the Piranha, and riding impressions.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Just clicked the buy button. Heck, I'd be crazy not to buy it! :cool:

I'll report back with some pics of the Classic vs the Piranha, and riding impressions.
Don't be crazy.

(don't be crazy)


(don't)



(crazy)


(ya)
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Just clicked the buy button. Heck, I'd be crazy not to buy it! :cool:

I'll report back with some pics of the Classic vs the Piranha, and riding impressions.
Thanks! Looking fwd to.
 
Received an email that my new screen has been "dispatched". What a regal way to let me know it's in the mail.
 
Dispatched is such a versatile word. It can mean put in the post, sent home (as in children or pets) or popped in the garbage (as in noxious weeds or rotting fish heads) or even, if you're a gangland boss, terminated. Most of you won't be aware, but whenever I ban a user from the forum, I have to send a message to Don Ferret and let him know that "[insert user name] has been dispatched."
 
Or, as Terry Thomas said, you could press on with all possible dispatch.
 
My '14 had a classic on it when I bought it. Wind noise in my helmet was insane. Liked the looks of the Marlin so bought one of those. Wind noise even worse. Both worse than running naked. Even naked, the 1100 is noisier than my good ol' 750 Nighthawk, which makes no sense. I will probably sell both of the screens. Trying to decide what to try next. Thinking about the MRA Vario Shield. Has anybody tried one of those?
 
Oh, no, Au₂O₃! That was certainly not my intention. I was just enjoying the word. After all, one can just hear a monarch saying 'Dispatch that Cormanus fellow, if you please.'
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Oh, no, Au₂O₃! That was certainly not my intention. I was just enjoying the word. After all, one can just hear a monarch saying 'Dispatch that Cormanus fellow, if you please.'
lol - we know that. Interesting example of rotting fish heads and how it was associated with a motorcycle accessory situation. Creative.
 
Based on Mach9's post, it sure seems like people who tried the Marlin screen complain about noise and buffeting. Due to the interchangability of Dart screens once the mount is installed, I'd be compelled to buy a Marlin to use in winter, to keep more cold air off of me, then switch to the Classic or Piranha as desired. But, if you look at how the Marlin is formed, it doesn't really push air over you, so much as into you.

Is anybody here really happy with the Marlin?
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Based on Mach9's post, it sure seems like people who tried the Marlin screen complain about noise and buffeting. Due to the interchangability of Dart screens once the mount is installed, I'd be compelled to buy a Marlin to use in winter, to keep more cold air off of me, then switch to the Classic or Piranha as desired. But, if you look at how the Marlin is formed, it doesn't really push air over you, so much as into you.

Is anybody here really happy with the Marlin?
I found the Marlin maybe effective up to 120 km/h or so. About maybe 50% of air blast is redirected, not more I don't believe.

The Marlin can vibrate at times at low speed.
 
Hmm... maybe if I came across a Marlin for nothing, I'd give it a shot.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Based on Mach9's post, it sure seems like people who tried the Marlin screen complain about noise and buffeting. Due to the interchangability of Dart screens once the mount is installed, I'd be compelled to buy a Marlin to use in winter, to keep more cold air off of me, then switch to the Classic or Piranha as desired. But, if you look at how the Marlin is formed, it doesn't really push air over you, so much as into you.

Is anybody here really happy with the Marlin?
I found the Marlin maybe effective up to 120 km/h or so. About maybe 50% of air blast is redirected, not more I don't believe.

The Marlin can vibrate at times at low speed.
I found the Marlin maybe effective up to 120 km/h or so. About maybe 50% of air blast is redirected, not more I don't believe.
ya, due to being too short n too narrow, simple physics!
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Based on Mach9's post, it sure seems like people who tried the Marlin screen complain about noise and buffeting. Due to the interchangability of Dart screens once the mount is installed, I'd be compelled to buy a Marlin to use in winter, to keep more cold air off of me, then switch to the Classic or Piranha as desired. But, if you look at how the Marlin is formed, it doesn't really push air over you, so much as into you.

Is anybody here really happy with the Marlin?
I found the Marlin maybe effective up to 120 km/h or so. About maybe 50% of air blast is redirected, not more I don't believe.

The Marlin can vibrate at times at low speed.
I found the Marlin maybe effective up to 120 km/h or so. About maybe 50% of air blast is redirected, not more I don't believe.
ya, due to being too short n too narrow, simple physics!
I think the Marlin serves a purpose, it just may not be the owner's preference.
 
Well, I am impressed with the alacrity with which Dart dispatched my new Pirahna. It arrived last night, and I installed it for a test ride to work this morning.

You can see the size difference compared to the Classic screen here. I've been riding with the Classic since I've had the bike. On me, it blocks wind to my chin at all speeds, and is very comfortable.

The Piranha blocks wind to the top of my chest, with the wind hitting my neck and above. I could feel wind coming up under the chin of my helmet, a little chilly now, but I can see this being a great comfort in summer. When I was able to get out of traffic, once I hit 80 mph, I felt my helmet try to lift slightly. Not to much to be a bother, but I see popping this shield on once the weather warms up.

And, I figured "In for a penny, in for a pound". There was a new-in-package Marlin screen for sale locally for a very low price, so I bought it, and am waiting to coordinate picking it up. I'll give that a try as well, and see what I think of all three. Only takes a minute to swap them back and forth.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, I am impressed with the alacrity with which Dart dispatched my new Pirahna. It arrived last night, and I installed it for a test ride to work this morning.

You can see the size difference compared to the Classic screen here. I've been riding with the Classic since I've had the bike. On me, it blocks wind to my chin at all speeds, and is very comfortable.

The Piranha blocks wind to the top of my chest, with the wind hitting my neck and above. I could feel wind coming up under the chin of my helmet, a little chilly now, but I can see this being a great comfort in summer. When I was able to get out of traffic, once I hit 80 mph, I felt my helmet try to lift slightly. Not to much to be a bother, but I see popping this shield on once the weather warms up.

And, I figured "In for a penny, in for a pound". There was a new-in-package Marlin screen for sale locally for a very low price, so I bought it, and am waiting to coordinate picking it up. I'll give that a try as well, and see what I think of all three. Only takes a minute to swap them back and forth.
Gone in 60 this looks great! My bike came with a Marlin in a box, but the installation would have also required replacing the beautiful Aluminum Honda brackets holding the headlight with SS brackets supplied ..so "No Way".
How is the classic bracket attached? 2 points or 4 points to the existing headlight bracket? For reference my bike is a '17 EX. Couldn't tell from the angle in the picture.

Kind Regards,
 
Back
Top