My prescription for the stock License plate bracket

metalmaven_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi guys, I mentioned that I will be making a few things for my 2014 CB110 and I finally got my first piece! Its a plate to replace the stock reflector bracket, I mean license plate bracket ;-)

I actually made two of these, and as some of you may know I have been doing custom metalwork since 1996. So here is a link to my Etsy Store where I have one for sale. Please check it out.

I plan on making more if the demand is out there.

Etsy Link
 
I like it. Nice work and probably priced just about right. If I hadn't already fabricated my own based on ChipBeck's design, I'd buy this. The DIY project is very easy, but you still need to have the right tools and hardware available.

I hope there is enough demand to make this worth your while.
MTC
 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Just bought it! Thanks metalmaven.
Thank so much! I will ship Monday.
CB4ME_imp said:
Agreed and good luck. Come up with a good backrest/backrest mounting bracket and you'll make a killing
That's my next project! I did some measurements a week ago and started drawing it up in CAD today. I need one for my bike, but I will be making two right off the bat :-)
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I like it. Nice work and probably priced just about right. If I hadn't already fabricated my own based on ChipBeck's design, I'd buy this. The DIY project is very easy, but you still need to have the right tools and hardware available.

I hope there is enough demand to make this worth your while.
MTC
Thanks, I know a lot of guys can make they're own and thats great. I like to make my own too, I just also like to make extras and sell them. Ya know, beer money!
 
TW there are little pictures under the big picture. Click on the one far right and you will see the bracket
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Agreed and good luck. Come up with a good backrest/backrest mounting bracket and you'll make a killing
YES.

THAT is what I'd kill for.

The license-plate bracket is slick; but I'm not bothered by the stock one. But a backrest...yes. I have some ideas of my own; but they'll look crude and garage-engineered. I'd like to see something like what I had with the Corbin seat on my R1100RT - a slot in the seat for a drop-in spike backrest, either solo or pillion passenger.

Beyond that...I wish I could get an LED taillight that would keep the stock Honda headlight shape. I may go with the Lucas one; but haven't decided yet.
 
Thread starter
JustPassinThru_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Agreed and good luck. Come up with a good backrest/backrest mounting bracket and you'll make a killing
YES.

THAT is what I'd kill for.

The license-plate bracket is slick; but I'm not bothered by the stock one. But a backrest...yes. I have some ideas of my own; but they'll look crude and garage-engineered. I'd like to see something like what I had with the Corbin seat on my R1100RT - a slot in the seat for a drop-in spike backrest, either solo or pillion passenger.

Beyond that...I wish I could get an LED taillight that would keep the stock Honda headlight shape. I may go with the Lucas one; but haven't decided yet.
YES.

THAT is what I'd kill for.

The license-plate bracket is slick; but I'm not bothered by the stock one. But a backrest...yes. I have some ideas of my own; but they'll look crude and garage-engineered. I'd like to see something like what I had with the Corbin seat on my R1100RT - a slot in the seat for a drop-in spike backrest, either solo or pillion passenger.

Beyond that...I wish I could get an LED taillight that would keep the stock Honda headlight shape. I may go with the Lucas one; but haven't decided yet.
Yeah the Corbin backrest design is really nice with how it is mounted right into the seat. I would expect nothing less from a huge company that has making and designing seats for over 40 years. I wont be able to build it into the seat, but mine will be removable. I am not a big fan of backrests, but my wife needs one when she rides with me.
I wanted to mention that I did sell my one and only available License plate bracket kit on Etsy yesterday, but I will be making more. My wife is dragging me to Vegas this coming Friday for 5 days. I will try to get some more made and up on Etsy before I leave but we will see. Either way, when I get back I will be making a pile of them, some will be brushed aluminum, some will be painted black.

I am excited to get the backrest done!
 
Quote:Yeah the Corbin backrest design is really nice with how it is mounted right into the seat. I would expect nothing less from a huge company that has making and designing seats for over 40 years. I wont be able to build it into the seat, but mine will be removable. I am not a big fan of backrests, but my wife needs one when she rides with me.

I am excited to get the backrest done!
I was a kitten's whisker away from pulling the trigger on a Corbin seat specifically because of the backrest add-on. I, too, would have no use for one except for my wife's need to have one. Ultimately, I purchased the whole Honda OEM top-case system partly because of the price and also because of the additional storage.

My question, though, is since my bike will have the Honda rear rack installed will you give any consideration in your design to have it able to be mounted with the rear rack installed or will it be using the same mounting points that the rack is already using?

I would love to be able to have a backrest without always having to install the top-case. I know I'll like it for the times I would have a need for one but I just don't like the looks of that big thing always hanging off the back.
 
Metal maven,

Excellent. I looked for something like this over a year ago but it didn't exist so I built it myself and shared it here in a thread titled "Getting rid of the ugly license plate bracket". Yours is almost identicle but it's much easier to buy one than to build it. Make up 20 or so and I'm sure they will sell. Cheers.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Setchman_imp said:
Quote:Yeah the Corbin backrest design is really nice with how it is mounted right into the seat. I would expect nothing less from a huge company that has making and designing seats for over 40 years. I wont be able to build it into the seat, but mine will be removable. I am not a big fan of backrests, but my wife needs one when she rides with me.

I am excited to get the backrest done!
I was a kitten's whisker away from pulling the trigger on a Corbin seat specifically because of the backrest add-on. I, too, would have no use for one except for my wife's need to have one. Ultimately, I purchased the whole Honda OEM top-case system partly because of the price and also because of the additional storage.

My question, though, is since my bike will have the Honda rear rack installed will you give any consideration in your design to have it able to be mounted with the rear rack installed or will it be using the same mounting points that the rack is already using?

I would love to be able to have a backrest without always having to install the top-case. I know I'll like it for the times I would have a need for one but I just don't like the looks of that big thing always hanging off the back.
I was a kitten's whisker away from pulling the trigger on a Corbin seat specifically because of the backrest add-on. I, too, would have no use for one except for my wife's need to have one. Ultimately, I purchased the whole Honda OEM top-case system partly because of the price and also because of the additional storage.

My question, though, is since my bike will have the Honda rear rack installed will you give any consideration in your design to have it able to be mounted with the rear rack installed or will it be using the same mounting points that the rack is already using?

I would love to be able to have a backrest without always having to install the top-case. I know I'll like it for the times I would have a need for one but I just don't like the looks of that big thing always hanging off the back.
At this time I wont be building the backrest around the rear carrier, as I don't have one. I just want to build a simple and clean removable backrest that will clip onto the existing 4 cargo lugs. It is a good thought for the future though!
ChipBeck_imp said:
Metal maven,

Excellent. I looked for something like this over a year ago but it didn't exist so I built it myself and shared it here in a thread titled "Getting rid of the ugly license plate bracket". Yours is almost identicle but it's much easier to buy one than to build it. Make up 20 or so and I'm sure they will sell. Cheers.

Chip
Thanks Chip! Yeah I am going out of town in a few days, but when I get back I will be making a couple handfuls of them.
 
Hi- I found that 1/4" wire nuts (may not be the correct name-at work we use "Crosby" brand so for 30 years I've called one a crosby) fit on the bungee studs/ bolts. Not the look most folks like, though I do. I've posted a pic of my version of rack & back rest over on the "back rest" thread, I'll put it here also.


What I'm thinking about doing soon is a tail light move so I can fit saddle bags and passenger at the same time. Haven't figured that out yet. This was before paint and with temp paper plate on.
 
Quote:At this time I wont be building the backrest around the rear carrier, as I don't have one. I just want to build a simple and clean removable backrest that will clip onto the existing 4 cargo lugs. It is a good thought for the future though!
That's exactly what I figured. I'll still be following your progress, though, since I'm not entirely sold on the top-case idea and may reevaluate things depending on how much I use it and how much my wife actually ends up riding with me.

I will put a request in for the possibility of incorporating a higher grab bar. That was one of the reasons I didn't go with the Corbin. It's not a reflection of their seat, of course, but my wife doesn't have long arms and I thought the reach for her down to the stock grab bars might be uncomfortable. Especially if the Corbin adds any more height to the seat, which I'm not sure about.
 
metalmaven_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Just bought it! Thanks metalmaven.
I got your new license plate bracket all brushed up nice for ya. Will ship today, thanks again!
I got your new license plate bracket all brushed up nice for ya. Will ship today, thanks again!
Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to installing it. Photos to follow!
 
Back
Top