Mirror options for CB1100

LoneWoof, since you asked, I decided to switch to a single mirror for this weekend's ride so that I could show how I did this:

1. This is what I started with - Speedmetal Billet Bar End Mirror
62823aa8a7a24958d7c7fdf2beeb6f7e.jpg


2. I separated the clamp and mirror from the expansion collar assembly
4ed2134869b2e51f3863fcc9f475ed07.jpg


3. Removed my stock bar end weight
f89b05b7a08038b1eadff27a8a0ecfa7.jpg


4. Clamped the mirror around the smaller diameter inner section of the bar end weight
feabea4e5a0c1ce6f6a40e57cdf397df.jpg


5. Added 3 washers to keep the end of the grip from being smushed and reinstalled
f9641c104378937f78e80aa7b1e19d84.jpg


6. Finished look:
2d86249b1d12cb0e48d6cdfaf4844dfa.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
aschem_imp said:
Looks nice; did you need a longer screw for the mod? Was there any change in handlebar vibration?
I re-used the stock screw and just added some blue loc-tite just in case. I was running the bar ends daily for the past thousand miles and they never came off using this configuration. Handlebar vibration wasn't noticeably worse nor better either.

I recently went back to the stock mirrors though because the bar ends made it harder to filter between cars, but I do prefer the bar ends since they have convex mirrors offering a nice wide-angle view. The stock mirrors do provide a nice spot to hang your helmet though!
 
c-breezy_imp said:
aschem_imp said:
Looks nice; did you need a longer screw for the mod? Was there any change in handlebar vibration?
I re-used the stock screw and just added some blue loc-tite just in case. I was running the bar ends daily for the past thousand miles and they never came off using this configuration. Handlebar vibration wasn't noticeably worse nor better either.

I recently went back to the stock mirrors though because the bar ends made it harder to filter between cars, but I do prefer the bar ends since they have convex mirrors offering a nice wide-angle view. The stock mirrors do provide a nice spot to hang your helmet though!
I re-used the stock screw and just added some blue loc-tite just in case. I was running the bar ends daily for the past thousand miles and they never came off using this configuration. Handlebar vibration wasn't noticeably worse nor better either.

I recently went back to the stock mirrors though because the bar ends made it harder to filter between cars, but I do prefer the bar ends since they have convex mirrors offering a nice wide-angle view. The stock mirrors do provide a nice spot to hang your helmet though! I run the same single left mirror. it gives a great field of view, but you did nail the draw back on the head there is no where to put your helmet! Lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
gbpack89_imp said:
c-breezy_imp said:
aschem_imp said:
Looks nice; did you need a longer screw for the mod? Was there any change in handlebar vibration?
I re-used the stock screw and just added some blue loc-tite just in case. I was running the bar ends daily for the past thousand miles and they never came off using this configuration. Handlebar vibration wasn't noticeably worse nor better either.

I recently went back to the stock mirrors though because the bar ends made it harder to filter between cars, but I do prefer the bar ends since they have convex mirrors offering a nice wide-angle view. The stock mirrors do provide a nice spot to hang your helmet though!
I re-used the stock screw and just added some blue loc-tite just in case. I was running the bar ends daily for the past thousand miles and they never came off using this configuration. Handlebar vibration wasn't noticeably worse nor better either.

I recently went back to the stock mirrors though because the bar ends made it harder to filter between cars, but I do prefer the bar ends since they have convex mirrors offering a nice wide-angle view. The stock mirrors do provide a nice spot to hang your helmet though! I run the same single left mirror. it gives a great field of view, but you did nail the draw back on the head there is no where to put your helmet! Lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Haha yeah, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect stalk mirrors/helmet holders for everyday riding. Being able to filter is clutch when all the cars are at a standstill!
 
Sadly we arnt allowed to filter in WI. And I have to put my helmet on the ground, it rough here haha

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Helmet goes on the helmet lock on the left side of the bike.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Could also go on helmet hook on right side of bike.
 
I bet most people don't know its there...
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I bet most people don't know its there...
Because most of their dealers can't tell them how to remove the seat! But you've got the Workshop Manual, poppers. And isn't it a wonderful thing?
 
I don't bother using it most of time. Unless I'm going to be away for a while. The mirror was handy and gas station or taking a quick break

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I bet most people don't know its there...
Because most of their dealers can't tell them how to remove the seat! But you've got the Workshop Manual, poppers. And isn't it a wonderful thing?
Because most of their dealers can't tell them how to remove the seat! But you've got the Workshop Manual, poppers. And isn't it a wonderful thing?
Yes it is. And the '14 manual came in yesterday. I took it apart and put it in a binder. That was fun--not :)
 
LoneWoof_imp said:
Excellent photos, thanks very much. The look is great on the bike.
Thanks! Glad I can finally contribute something of use here, LOL

Cormanus_imp said:
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Helmet goes on the helmet lock on the left side of the bike.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Could also go on helmet hook on right side of bike.
I showed that to my friend a few weeks ago, he got a little jealous since his Bonnie doesn't have built-in locks, much less two of them :celebrate:

Lord Popgun_imp said:
I bet most people don't know its there...
Definitely didn't know until I read the manual

gbpack89_imp said:
I don't bother using it most of time. Unless I'm going to be away for a while. The mirror was handy and gas station or taking a quick break

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
That's exactly why I wanted stalk mirrors again...just a nice spot to hang your helmet while at a pit stop
 
I just hang my helmet on the rear passenger peg on the low side opposite the exhaust. Just close the strap and hang it there. It leans against the swing arm and doesnt touch the painted part of the helmet.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
I just hang my helmet on the rear passenger peg on the low side opposite the exhaust. Just close the strap and hang it there. It leans against the swing arm and doesnt touch the painted part of the helmet.
That's a great idea! Setting a helmet up on the gas pump sucks

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Aluminum bar end mirrors purchased through Amazon. $40 shipped. Fitted on Renthal Ultra Low bars. Will not work with factory bar weights.

9867bc1b7a9c6b20544f446e0f49bba9.jpg


03ad9540a6a47a0766dd086883cf2116.jpg




Sent from an undisclosed location
Looks great Whiskey - how have they been holding up? Are they staying in place well or vibrating excessively? Also: got a link to the specific eBay listing/vendor?
 
c-breezy_imp said:
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Aluminum bar end mirrors purchased through Amazon. $40 shipped. Fitted on Renthal Ultra Low bars. Will not work with factory bar weights.

9867bc1b7a9c6b20544f446e0f49bba9.jpg


03ad9540a6a47a0766dd086883cf2116.jpg




Sent from an undisclosed location
Looks great Whiskey - how have they been holding up? Are they staying in place well or vibrating excessively? Also: got a link to the specific eBay listing/vendor?
Looks great Whiskey - how have they been holding up? Are they staying in place well or vibrating excessively? Also: got a link to the specific eBay listing/vendor?

No vibration issues. Mirrors remain useful all the way to the speed limiter. If the mirrors are moving enough to where I can't see what is behind me, then so is the rest of the bike. Allen bolts are easy to tighten down and have not needed to be adjusted since the initial install.

Amazon.com

Price went up by $10 because I made them cool. Haha
 
Back
Top