Speedometer Upgrade!?

DirkDiggler_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hey guys, first time posting here but been referencing daily for a few months. Appreciate how thorough everyone is here.

I picked up a 2013 CB1100 recently and have been slowly turning it into a cafe racer. I know that's not everyones cup of tea here, but I had a vision and couldn't get it out of my head.

Last thing on my to do list is to toss the large bulky speedometer cluster for something much smaller and I'm at a loss for options. I haven't seen any recent threads about any new options in the past few years but I've seen some custom builds without their cluster. I know someone mentioned the Daytona Velona gauge but not sure if they ever figured out the programming.

My understanding is the 2013 it is possible to replace but without any plug and play options im not sure which options there are out there.

Anyone replace their speedometer for something sleeker?? TIA
 
Howdy and welcome to the forum
 
Welcome to the forum, DD.
My buddy from VB, Va also has a 2013.
Good luck with your speedo, not an easy issue....
 
Over the last 10 years, we've had numerous inquiries about aftermarket meter assemblies, and there is no feedback showing that any really worked. Part of that is because there are hundreds of "universal fit" $50 meters that are supposed to match up to thousands of different bikes.

The other part is that the there are no clear specs on what the outputs from the computers in the original meter assemblies should read. Most people have problems with the speedo reading correctly, and if we're talking about ABS models, don't expect ABS to work at all.

If you want to go the aftermarket route, I'd recommend one you can return if/when it doesn't work. Getting one with a GPS speedometer will avoid a lot of headaches.
 
Welcome, Dirk! Interested to see what you come up with. I was digging a Bonneville the other day with a Moto Gadget speedo that looked pretty cool. One of the things I actually dig about my '13 is the green faces on the gauges that remind me of my old '70s bikes. Wish you luck in your quest!
 
The 2014 and up models have the serial data line to/fm the CPU. The 2010-2013 models do not. So in theory it should be easier to install an aftermarket unit. Having said that, I’d have to study the diagrams in the service manual to see how things are handled as I haven’t done that in a few years.

As far as I can recall, no one has figured out a way with 2014 and up models. And if they did they didn’t report back here.

I also can’t recall much about changing out 2013 models. Except maybe one guy who couldn’t get the speed sensor signal to work right. And if he did, he didn’t report back.

For the old timers here, IIRC, that lead me to putting a scope on the lines and looking at the sensor pulse train. Fun times!!
 
DirkDiggler_imp said:
Hey guys, first time posting here but been referencing daily for a few months. Appreciate how thorough everyone is here.

I picked up a 2013 CB1100 recently and have been slowly turning it into a cafe racer. I know that's not everyones cup of tea here, but I had a vision and couldn't get it out of my head.

Last thing on my to do list is to toss the large bulky speedometer cluster for something much smaller and I'm at a loss for options. I haven't seen any recent threads about any new options in the past few years but I've seen some custom builds without their cluster. I know someone mentioned the Daytona Velona gauge but not sure if they ever figured out the programming.

My understanding is the 2013 it is possible to replace but without any plug and play options im not sure which options there are out there.

Anyone replace their speedometer for something sleeker?? TIA
Welcome to the Forum. I ran across a company which claims to have a compatible speedometer. I have no personal experience with the company or the product. Here is the link I saved:

Speedometer compatible with Honda CB 1100 / EX / RS Tachometer Craftride KTX in black

Best of luck with the project.
 
The highlighted text would not fill me with confidence. I am willing to bet that speedo is listed as "compatible" with lots of motorcycles. Cheap to try but you can almost guarantee a lot of issues.

 
For reference, the gauges have 24 or 26 wires that connect to the main harness, depending on year. A few, such as for the fuel gauge, can be overlooked. Here's a picture of HALF of the circuit board inside the meter assembly.

 
Thread starter
Pekingduck, thanks for the insight. I pulled apart the cluster and the circuit board is the entire interior of the casing so my hopes to relocate just the board were shot.

Lord Popgun, I've done enough digging here to understand the 2013 has no serial data line so in theory lol your right it should be easier. I read the full thread about the guy that couldnt get his speed sensor working and it seems like a common issue.

I've contacted motogadget and although they claim it will work, without understanding the output specs from the computers like pekingduck mentioned, I have no idea how it will go wiring any cluster up. I may just try a few options and see how it goes. Just worried about chopping up the original harness only to not have a functioning dash to understand what issues I'm having.

This article is one of a few I've found with custom clusters but not mentioned in detail, only that it is a daytona speedo.

Staff Rides: Ben & his CB1100

I appreciate all the replies. Any other expertise welcome!
 
I've used Trail Tech Vapor gauges before, because they used a magnetic pickup speed sensor. They are a well regarded US-based company, and real live tech support.
 
Thread starter
M in SC thanks for the thorough reply. Glad to hear positive reviews on the Daytona gauges. Were any of these used specifically on a cb1100?

I'm not so much concerned with accuracy of speedo as I am with the lack of stock computer activating limp mode or throwing another code and not having a CEL to determine the issue. Im a just an enthusiastic weekend warrior not a Honda master tech.
 
Tev62_imp said:
The highlighted text would not fill me with confidence. I am willing to bet that speedo is listed as "compatible" with lots of motorcycles. Cheap to try but you can almost guarantee a lot of issues.
Little warning: the blue light of this thing might impair your night vision. Try looking for different color options, if you think that’s important for you.
 
Back
Top