low oil pressure light

Garuda78_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
hello,my first time posting .I have a 2014 cb1100a.
I bought it 2 weeks ago ,with 9000 miles on it..
every thing works great ,however the low oil pressure light does not come on when key is in start pos. i checked the switch on the right side below the engine about 8 inches forward of the rear brake pedal. it has power with key on and off when eng starts.is this the low oil light switch ,or the high oil temp switch i'm looking at??
also, anyone know what color code for the wire that leads to switch.
thank you in advance and its great to be here.
best wishes.
George
 
Welcome to the forum, Garuda78.
 
I no longer have schematics, but options include:
1. Bulb (LED) is out or disconnected
2. Wiring is not intact
3. Sensor failed

The warning lights on the lower portion of the speedometer, from left to right, are:
CEL (orange)
Neutral (green)
Hi beam (blue)
Engine oil temp hi (red)

The warning light on the lower portion of the tachometer is
Low oil pressure (red)

Is all wiring to tach fully connected?

This should help with sensor identification:

neutral problem

To my Forum Friends: After putting almost 5,000 miles on my XVS950 in less than 4 months, more eye issues have developed. No double vision (6th nerve palsy of right eye) as occurred in Aug 2018, which compelled me to sell my CB Sep 2018.

An eye exam with cataract diagnosis, left eye correctable to 20/20, but right eye somewhat correctable to only 20/50 sent me to an eye surgeon. Narrow ducts put me at risk for sudden onset of glaucoma and dilation increases eye pressure, so laser surgery for the ducts before Dr can dilate eyes to discuss proceeding with cataract surgery (artificial lenses). So, I may be back to only riding vicariously, although I got in a 433 mile ride to Zion National Park, last Friday.

Dave, Beverly & I look forward to seeing you and Debbie tomorrow afternoon.
 
If the link above displays weird, remove the s from https: and it will look like normal forum display
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
I no longer have schematics, but options include:
1. Bulb (LED) is out or disconnected
2. Wiring is not intact
3. Sensor failed

The warning lights on the lower portion of the speedometer, from left to right, are:
CEL (orange)
Neutral (green)
Hi beam (blue)
Engine oil temp hi (red)

The warning light on the lower portion of the tachometer is
Low oil pressure (red)

Is all wiring to tach fully connected?

This should help with sensor identification:

neutral problem

To my Forum Friends: After putting almost 5,000 miles on my XVS950 in less than 4 months, more eye issues have developed. No double vision (6th nerve palsy of right eye) as occurred in Aug 2018, which compelled me to sell my CB Sep 2018.

An eye exam with cataract diagnosis, left eye correctable to 20/20, but right eye somewhat correctable to only 20/50 sent me to an eye surgeon. Narrow ducts put me at risk for sudden onset of glaucoma and dilation increases eye pressure, so laser surgery for the ducts before Dr can dilate eyes to discuss proceeding with cataract surgery (artificial lenses). So, I may be back to only riding vicariously, although I got in a 433 mile ride to Zion National Park, last Friday.

Dave, Beverly & I look forward to seeing you and Debbie tomorrow afternoon.
Clearly the eyes are everything, particularly when it comes to riding. May your way once again be clear. Be patient - even if it costs one riding season.

I plan to be in the Zion National Park in November. It should be exciting.
 
Welcome and congratulations, Garuda78. Sorry, I can't help with your light issue, but I am sure the others will before long.
Sportster Doc, I wish you well on your eye issues. Having some myself and keep hoping they don't get any worse too soon.
 
if you didn’t find the EOP switch it is on the right side of the bike, by the lower frame rail, just forward of the big cover that says HONDA on it. It sticks out horizontally.

The neutral switch is just aft of the EOP sensor and sticks straight down.

The EOP wire goes to a 2 pin connector that also has the neutral switch wire.

The EOP wire is Bu/R (blue/red stripe). The neutral wire is light green.

Service troubleshooting is pretty easy.

Check engine oil level first.
Make sure the oil pressure indicator comes on with engin switch ON. Start the engine and the light should go out.

OK, you have no light. So, Remove the EOP sensor dust cover, remove the terminal bolt and disconnect the EOP switch wire.

Ground the EOP switch wire terminal using a jumper. The oil pressure indicator comes on with the ignition switch turned to ON.

It it does not come on, check for a blown sub fuse METER, ILLUMI 10A or an open in the circuit. If the fuse and wire harness are normal, replace the combination meter.

OK, I would not just jump on replacing the combination meter. Do the above and if your problem isn’t fixed, try disconnecting the meter connectors and inspecting the pins and reseating them. Bu/R wire actually goes from the EOP switch all the way to the meter. It goes through the meter 6 pin connector. You can meter it for continuity if you have a meter.
 
You make it sound so easy Popgun.

Sportsterdoc, best wishes for the eyes.
 
Actually what I wrote is. Most of it is right out of the service manual.
 
:rofl:

Who said plagiarism was out of fashion?
 
Well, it is a simple circuit, but why not use the manual first? :D

Honda's steps are weird though. Personally I'd check the fuses first then do the sensor check.
 
Why would a bloke use a carefully constructed manual to get it right first time when he knows better and can do it his way and make a mess of it? :huh:
 
Measured the current through the neutral switch; 8 mA with a ( sensitive ) dc clamp meter, just for kicks.
 
Dave, Beverly & I look forward to seeing you and Debbie tomorrow afternoon.

My wife and I spent a few days in Las Vegas and had a wonderful visit with Jerry and his wife. You meet the nicest people on this forum!
 
Thread starter
hello.my low oil light does not light on my 2014 Cb1100.
i wired a led light to the switch. that lights when key on, off when bike starts so switch is good. i took tach off wiring all looks good.
on underside of tach there are a couple of screws at the circuit board.
if i undo screws ,is there anything to look out for? i waht to see if it has a bad solder joint to the led.
honda wants $900.. for new gauge assy.
not worth fixing for that.
any ideas would be great.
thank you.
george
 
Back
Top