BEST Cheap Headlight Upgrade for the CB1100 BE WELL SEEN IN THE DAYLIGHT!

Havasu Secret_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I just wanted to show you the amazing headlight upgrade I did on my 2014 CB1100. This was a very inexpensive upgrade and purchase from Amazon. I will provide the link at the end of this thread. I have had the bulb in for two months now and it works beautifully. Daily commutes and two long weekend rides and not a single problem.

It only took removing the two screws at the bottom of the headlight can, gently pulling on the retainer ring and the entire inner assembly was in my hands. As you may know the CB1100 has a 9003 dual element quartz halogen headlight. The 9003 BULB IS ALL WE ARE GOING TO REPLACE.

The bulb is held in with a wire retainer clip that easily opens and moves to the side, so you can remove the bulb from the headlamp reflector. The only difficult part is to remove the the black plastic electrical connector from the three prong bulb. I used a small standard screwdriver and gently inserted the flat blade between where the black plastic connector and the bulb prongs. Be careful don't break the plastic wire connector. Since my 9003 headlight bulb was the original 2014 bulb that has been in there for 8 long years, it was really on there. I kept gently applying lifting pressure on the prongs and the wire connector with the screwdriver and finally the black plastic wire connector began to slid off the bulb. YEAH !!!

Next I just pressed on the new super bright 9003 LED bulb onto the black plastic wire connector alighting up the three prongs, it pushed on A LOT easier than taking it off. I placed the new bulb into the inner headlight assembly ( it only goes in one way ) and repositioned the wire retainer around the new bulb.

Now I gently pushed the entire assembly back into the headlight can. It's a bit tight but it will go in without forcing it. I put the two retaining screws in finger tight as I wanted to check that it worked ok before screwing it down tight. I put the key in and turned the lights on. YES!!! It worked perfectly!!!

I completed the installation by tightening the two screws at the bottom of the headlight can and I was done. Start to finish about 15 minutes !!!

The daylight riding safety increase was so worth the upgrade. This lamp is 600% brighter and LED voltage and amperage efficient. The new LED bulb does not get as hot as the original quartz halogen lamp. The night driving brightness is incredibly better too. I did this upgrade because I wanted to be seen better in the day to oncoming traffic for safety purposes.

This will be the best $65.00 you will ever spend on your bike. You get 2 bulbs for $65.00. Give one to a fellow CB1100 rider!!!

Please see pics, video and link below.

New LED Bulb installed. Looks almost factory perfect.
95b577d845c1e801c4a6dfe83bd89d94.jpg



New LED Bulb installed in daylight with LOW beam. The color looks so cool !!!
3df66aee9f5091469e64274be8ba87fc.jpg



New LED Bulb installed in daylight with HIGH beam
d6e24b9f17d0cee429331332fec3fce4.jpg



Video of switching from low to high beam. I could not get a direct shot as it blinded the camera, but trust me it's really bright.
b904752f77b1fc010eb3a64478fdcb0d.mp4



AMAZON links:

Bulb features video:

https://www.amazon.com/vdp/080951c8...Z6QZ6T&ref=cm_sw_em_r_ib_dt_sudMGTdaDlEN5


How to install video:

Watch How to install AUXITO H4/9003/HB2 LED bulbs on Amazon Live


Amazon purchase link:

Amazon.com
 
Theres actually a 20% off coupon for it right now too if anyone wants it. I just added LED driving lights to my crash bars so I'm good for now but I appreciate the info. I added it to my cart for future reference.

Do you notice any loss of beam pattern putting an LED bulb in a Halogen reflector?
4cda8024e57da744de2fcb7601dbbf48.jpg


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I messaged them to see if they sell the bulbs in a 1 pack and they gave me this part number to search for their "Motorcycle version" of that bulb. Not sure what the difference is so I just asked what is different between them but its the 1 pack for $19. I will report back when I get an answer on any differences.

Hope it helps

Amazon Part # B092SHMWQZ
4694152bba2beab857e0b7244ad6ee12.jpg


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
I messaged them to see if they sell the bulbs in a 1 pack and they gave me this part number to search for their "Motorcycle version" of that bulb. Not sure what the difference is so I just asked what is different between them but its the 1 pack for $19. I will report back when I get an answer on any differences.

Hope it helps

Amazon Part # B092SHMWQZ
4694152bba2beab857e0b7244ad6ee12.jpg


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Motorcycle version may mean engineered to endure more vibration, especially at higher engine RPMs compared to cages. I don't know why they wouldn't do that in the first place. Maybe a marketing ploy?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
I messaged them to see if they sell the bulbs in a 1 pack and they gave me this part number to search for their "Motorcycle version" of that bulb. Not sure what the difference is so I just asked what is different between them but its the 1 pack for $19. I will report back when I get an answer on any differences.

Hope it helps

Amazon Part # B092SHMWQZ
4694152bba2beab857e0b7244ad6ee12.jpg


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Motorcycle version may mean engineered to endure more vibration, especially at higher engine RPMs compared to cages. I don't know why they wouldn't do that in the first place. Maybe a marketing ploy?
Motorcycle version may mean engineered to endure more vibration, especially at higher engine RPMs compared to cages. I don't know why they wouldn't do that in the first place. Maybe a marketing ploy? That what I was thinking cause the housing doesn't look all that different.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I put a similar LED bulb in my CB shortly after I bought it. Great addition for better visibility. I got a two-pack as well, and put one in the Bonneville. I had a funny incident shortly after installation... I always encounter an older gentleman on his morning walk when I'm riding out of my neighborhood. Typically we wave at each other, but after putting the LED on the Triumph, he shook his cane at me as I rode by. I stopped to see what was the matter.

Keep in mind, this is a sunny morning: "Your gonna blind someone with that danged headlight, son!" I took a look, and aimed it down a smidge. We continue to wave at each other again.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I put a similar LED bulb in my CB shortly after I bought it. Great addition for better visibility. I got a two-pack as well, and put one in the Bonneville. I had a funny incident shortly after installation... I always encounter an older gentleman on his morning walk when I'm riding out of my neighborhood. Typically we wave at each other, but after putting the LED on the Triumph, he shook his cane at me as I rode by. I stopped to see what was the matter.

Keep in mind, this is a sunny morning: "Your gonna blind someone with that danged headlight, son!" I took a look, and aimed it down a smidge. We continue to wave at each other again.
Excellent Gone. :hello:
 
As this is US Forum, and US member, and bought from Amazon.com, I would assume it concerns US DOT or at least NA DOT
:P
 
With so many companies producing LED headlight bulbs now, selling on Amazon, AliExpress, ebay, etc, and all made in China, it's doubtful that they are concerned about DOT compliance.

My former employer, a large automotive conglomerate, recently absorbed an LED headlight company. This is a well-respected company that sells in brick-and-mortar parts stores, not shady online outlets. For kicks, I just checked their website's section on LED replacement headlights. Here is their blanket disclaimer:

"WARNING: THIS REPLACEMENT LED HEADLIGHT BULB SET IS SOLD FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY. This product should not be used on the road. This product has not been tested for compliance with United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard FHMVSS 108 or Canadian Standard CMVSS108. It should not be used on the road or in any other application requiring compliance with FHMVSS 108, CMVSS108 or Title 49 section 571.108, United States Code."

Does that deter me from running an LED bulb? Not in the least. Mine are aimed so they don't blind oncoming traffic, but I'm more concerned about being seen in traffic than the DOT.
 
My only concern- traditional bulb being dual filament- you have a built in backup to get you home if one fails.

On this- isn't is possible the circuit board fails and you loose both high and low beam?
 
One of the LEDs I initially received was defective - the low beam LED died shortly after I started using it. But, the high beam still worked fine. That made me think that at least one of them would continue to work, like a normal bulb. That means one of the LEDs failed - can't say what would happen if the circuit board failed, but it is something to think about.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
My only concern- traditional bulb being dual filament- you have a built in backup to get you home if one fails.

On this- isn't is possible the circuit board fails and you loose both high and low beam?
You concern is legit.

Modern LED units rarely fail on their own. The power regulating circuit will likely fail due to excessive heat exposure, substandard electronic components (e.g. capacitors), or a marginal cold solder on the circuit board (open or short) which can show itself upon excessive vibration and/or temperature. Depending on the nature of the failure, the entire supply could fail supplying no power, or a rail could go out-of-spec and cause some LED units to fail prematurely.
 
I'll admit that I've been lazy... I used to carry a spare H4 bulb and screwdriver under the seat in case my headlight ever goes out. It's happened to my once over the years. But, I haven't done so on either the CB or the Bonnie. My LED headlights have been going strong for a little over three years since I've installed them. What's more impressive to me is that the $30 Ebay spotlights I put on my Bonnie over seven years ago are still going strong.

One thing that I would suggest is to get an LED bulb like the type you guys are discussing, that has the heat sink and fan on the front, filament side of the bulb, not the back side where the three-prong plug attaches. I've seen guys put the rear-heat sink type on a bike, and melt the wiring that is stuffed into the headlight housing. Initially, I was concerned about the heat sink on the filament side of the bulb, being closer to the plastic reflector and lens, but hasn't been an issue for my bike in the years that it's been running. It probably runs cooler than a standard halogen.
 
Lucky me. I was ready to order an AUXITO LED bulb and I went out to the shop to look at the inside of the headlight bucket. I have a Beamtech LED installed in my 14 Deluxe thanks to the 1st owner.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
My only concern- traditional bulb being dual filament- you have a built in backup to get you home if one fails.

On this- isn't is possible the circuit board fails and you loose both high and low beam?
This happened to me , during the day time I was on the BRP going into the first tunnel and I suddenly realized that BOTH high and low LED were out , scariest to say the least . The main fuse for the lights had burned , they had a heat sink but for whatever reason they failed . I replaced them very quickly with the H4 and never had any more problems .
 
After reading the write up and looking at the pics, I am going to order one. Thanks for sharing. Anything to help us be seen is well worth a few bucks.
 
Back
Top