Helmet Preference

I've never been able to deal with a full face helmet. The modular ones no problem but not being able to lift that helmet front gives me grief. I believe a full face has to be better protection in some situations and it's probably lighter and quieter but it's modular for me. I have Shoei and like them but there are others. I haven't seen much advantage to the real expensive helmets but there may be and I just am not educated to their advantages.
 
I dont mind maying 2-300 for a helmet but I have hard time paying twice that. But I would rather pay that now and never need it than need it and never have it. A classic Catch 22. Maybe I can catch on on sale.
 
Guth_imp said:
I too own an Arai RX-Q. I've owned it for 3 years now and have had no problems with it.

I really like the looks of the Shoei GT Air like Hiker Too has.
I was under the impression that helmets did have a shelf life... or life expectancy of so many years...

Does anyone know of this? and if so what that time period is?
 
General consensus is 5 years, like tires
 
When I purchased my Shoei XR-1000 (= RF 1000) it was already several months "old" (you can tell by a little sticker hidden inside). The dealer obviously had it in stock for a while. So five years is fine but I start counting when I first used it.
A German motorbike magazine tested several old helmets and found that with one exception (a 20 yr old one) all helmets still performed well in terms of shock absorbing and protection.
Their recommendation was "replace it latest when the inside is worn out so it is rather a snug than tight fit".
 
Yes, 5 years is the usual recommendation. But it depends on many factors like "do your ride 1000 miles in 5 years or 100000?", "is the helmet stored in a dark place or in full sun light?", "is the helmet made out of fiber, or other sort of plastic?" etc.
Nevertheless, I plan to exchange my current helmet (Schuberth C3) with a Schuberth C3 pro in spring next year.
 
From what I've researched, higher end helmets like Shoei make the outer shell for each specific size, while helmets like the HJC sprint modular that I have make 1 or 2 did size shells and use diff thickness in the padding to get M, L, XL etc... Which is not such a bad thing if you have an odd shaped head you can just buy diff cheek pads or liner to get the perfect fit.

As for the 5 yr rule, meh.... Most likely it's to keep a steady revenue stream. After all, Instructions on your shampoo to "lather, rinse, repeat" are designed to sell twice as much shampoo, not get your hair more clean.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've worn Shoei, Bell, and Nava, but currently I'm wearing HJC's...I have 8 of them.. A modular, (2) full face without internal sun shield,(2) full face with internal sun shield, (2) 3/4 and an open face with flat shield and visor. If you think thats bad, you should see my jacket collection. And if you think thats bad you should see my glove collection

Hi my name is Ferret and I'm a gear addict.....
 
HJC is a nice brand actually, they offer good helmets for reasonable prices. Nonetheless I am a bit confused actually as in a current test of a German motorcycle magazine they did not only test the security and impact stability of the helmets but did also test for toxins (coming from the materials they use to make the helmet). And HJC (and others) were above the limits for work environment.*

* As there are actually no limits specifically for bike helmets, the testers just used that work environment limits as reference.
 
I cannot judge whether this kind of pollutant concentration is really an issue, as I do normally not wear the helmet lets say 8-10 hours (working environment work time). But on the other hand, the helmet is much more close to my nose and sits directly on my skin, so maybe it is even more serious!?
I don't know...
 
When I was a kid in the 50s, we lived in Florida which had a spraying program for mosquitos. All the kids in the neighborhood, would run behind the DDT spray trucks and get sprayed so the mosquitos wouldn't wouldn't bite us. Then we moved to Ohio, and for 21 years, we lived right across the street from a Chemical company. Fumes were always bad.

If those 2 things didn't kill me I'm not too afraid of my helmet lol
 
I recently bought a Shoei RF-1200 and it may be the best helmet I have ever owned. I just sold my ARAI Quantum II which was a great helmet and have owned over 30 different helmets since I started riding many years ago. The Shoei is light, comfortable, with great air flow and visibility. You can't go wrong with a top line helmet like a Shoei or ARAI. I've learned that you usually get what you pay for and your brain bucket has to be worth more than $500. Have seen some serious head injuries in low speed accidents that most likely would have been relatively minor if the rider was wearing a good quality helmet. Any helmet is better than no helmet and I realize money can be a factor at times. Buy the best helmet you can afford. People in cages are freakin crazy nowadays. Ride Safe...
 
I went with a bell RS1 and a bilt 3/4 helmet with a bubble shield

I love the RS1, great quality, price and comfort. And the lack of road noise is the icing on the cake....
 
Bell RS1. Absolutely love it. Also, never fogs. Of course, different helmets for different shaped heads... Always believed in investing in a good motorcycle hat, always wearing it, and hopefully never using it.
 
Mike_imp said:
HJC full face CL-16. Nice helmet for the money.
Motorcyclegear.com has some of these for $79 right now
 
Back
Top