Guhl Tune/Derestriction

mvk24

Secondary Air Plates... these block the excess air to the exhaust for emissions. If you do not do this you may get the popping of the exhaust as you decelerate. With the plates installed it does not pop or do anything... ever. She just runs wonderfully with all the mods.

Here are the plates I bought, see link below. But there are other posts on this and a lot cheaper ways to do it. I had to buy a lot of parts and just added this to the bundle when I ordered.

K-FACTORY : Secondary Air Cancellation Plate [063IZDD015R]
 
teamvisegrip_imp said:
mvk24

Secondary Air Plates... these block the excess air to the exhaust for emissions. If you do not do this you may get the popping of the exhaust as you decelerate. With the plates installed it does not pop or do anything... ever. She just runs wonderfully with all the mods.

Here are the plates I bought, see link below. But there are other posts on this and a lot cheaper ways to do it. I had to buy a lot of parts and just added this to the bundle when I ordered.

K-FACTORY : Secondary Air Cancellation Plate [063IZDD015R]
Huh very cool, call me crazy but I actually like the decel poping. This looks like a similar modification alot of the turbo charged subarus do with the EGR/TGV delete to stop the recirculating exhaust (for emissions) but it contributes to alot more carbon build up in the DIT motors.



Dare I say this was you? https://www.denniskirk.com/garagebuild/2014-honda-cb1100/

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
mvk24

Yes that was me. I did not win that one. But I think people all want to mod a bike to the moon with chrome and everything else to death. I wanted to show what could be done to a UJM type bike. I love the way it turned out. You can still tell it is a CB1100 but a closer inspection shows the fun stuff. I LOVE the way it runs now. It was lacking before now it delivers.

FYI... My Suzuki build did win the Garage Build. Lots of work in that one.
 
teamvisegrip_imp said:
mvk24

Yes that was me. I did not win that one. But I think people all want to mod a bike to the moon with chrome and everything else to death. I wanted to show what could be done to a UJM type bike. I love the way it turned out. You can still tell it is a CB1100 but a closer inspection shows the fun stuff. I LOVE the way it runs now. It was lacking before now it delivers.

FYI... My Suzuki build did win the Garage Build. Lots of work in that one.
I love your CB! I never would have thought to do the carbon fiber on a retro bike but then when I saw yours its almost like It belongs there.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
https://www.denniskirk.com/garagebuild/2014-honda-cb1100/

teamvisegrip_imp said:
mvk24

Yes that was me. I did not win that one. But I think people all want to mod a bike to the moon with chrome and everything else to death. I wanted to show what could be done to a UJM type bike. I love the way it turned out. You can still tell it is a CB1100 but a closer inspection shows the fun stuff. I LOVE the way it runs now. It was lacking before now it delivers.

FYI... My Suzuki build did win the Garage Build. Lots of work in that one.
A solid project presentation.
 
mkv24 and GoldOxide thanks for the compliments. I love this bike and it will be with me till the end, with the rest of my collection but maybe the Indian has to go I think.
 
teamvisegrip_imp said:
mkv24 and GoldOxide thanks for the compliments. I love this bike and it will be with me till the end, with the rest of my collection but maybe the Indian has to go I think.
Which indian model? I rode the laconia event at NH motorspeedway and indian and harley brought every 2019 model they had.. I took every single 1 on the course at least once haha I ended up liking the Chieftain Darkhorse with the 116 Big Bore stage 3 kit the most of any bike there. It felt like it was 300lbs and had alll the power

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
PowerDubs_imp said:
The TSR donut makes a tiny bit of power all the way up top. I took mine off though because I didn't like the sound it made.

My dyno numbers are with the stock intake boot, but 3 little filter vents on the left side of the airbox and the end of the air filter cut out.

Yea- the stock velocity stacks bring the diameter down to 26mm if I remember correctly instead of the 32mm the butterflies actually are.
After all this discussion I decided today is the day...

0adae9b29d5b5d925d272a1e45f812c9.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
does anubody that has had the guhl work done have a pic of their ecm im curious what mod is done on the inside, ive tuned a few personal cars with tuning software of diff types
 
cj599_imp said:
does anubody that has had the guhl work done have a pic of their ecm im curious what mod is done on the inside, ive tuned a few personal cars with tuning software of diff types
I cant find the pic but they put a Guhl sticker on the ECU. I saw it when I took my tank off to install the power commander

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Rox_imp said:
Welp..... Got my ECU back... Plugged it in. I currently have a slip on Yoshi, snorkel delete and a Bazzaz and now the Guhl tune....

Results:

The guy with the dyno results wasn't fibbing... It's a big difference. The bike now pulls from 0 from 5th gear ( it's a 14)... I haven't dynoed but it's certainly around 100 or more.
I recommend it. Especially for $375.. For 20+hp?
It just freed up everything. Got it on the freeway.. Didn't top it out but it buried the speedo easily... Easily...

I'm loving it.. Just enough guts to call this thing a CB1100..

Glad you like the improvement- but it's nowhere near 20hp even on a bike that didn't have fueling adjusted already.

You also won't be anywhere near 100whp on a dyno while still having a cat and stock velocity stacks. Probably closer to 90.

Just incentive to keep playing though. ;)
mvk24_imp said:
teamvisegrip_imp said:
This has been covered in other post but TSR made a set of velocity stacks too. I have done both the Velocity Stacks, Air Box Funnel and Yoshimura Exhaust with Gulh's Flash.

I also installed the plates to block the secondary air to the exhaust.

Powerdubs wanted me to get it on a dyno and I have called in my area and the Cities 2 ½ hours away and no one will do it. Kind of gave up calling after 5 tries.

I love the performance now just so nice and feels right now.
Plates to block secondary air?? Whats that

I knew TSR made actual stack inserts also but I thought they stopped making them.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
PowerDubs_imp said:
The TSR donut makes a tiny bit of power all the way up top. I took mine off though because I didn't like the sound it made.

My dyno numbers are with the stock intake boot, but 3 little filter vents on the left side of the airbox and the end of the air filter cut out.

Yea- the stock velocity stacks bring the diameter down to 26mm if I remember correctly instead of the 32mm the butterflies actually are.
When you say donut do you mean that round snorkel delete TSR makes that just holds the air filter in place?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk


Yup.
teamvisegrip_imp said:
mvk24

Secondary Air Plates... these block the excess air to the exhaust for emissions. If you do not do this you may get the popping of the exhaust as you decelerate. With the plates installed it does not pop or do anything... ever. She just runs wonderfully with all the mods.

Here are the plates I bought, see link below. But there are other posts on this and a lot cheaper ways to do it. I had to buy a lot of parts and just added this to the bundle when I ordered.

K-FACTORY : Secondary Air Cancellation Plate [063IZDD015R]

I didn't buy plates...there is no need. Just pop off the main hose and put a plug inside it and reinstall... looks stock, works the same as plates.. and is dirt cheap. I have a picture around here somewhere...
mvk24_imp said:
teamvisegrip_imp said:
mkv24 and GoldOxide thanks for the compliments. I love this bike and it will be with me till the end, with the rest of my collection but maybe the Indian has to go I think.
Which indian model? I rode the laconia event at NH motorspeedway and indian and harley brought every 2019 model they had.. I took every single 1 on the course at least once haha I ended up liking the Chieftain Darkhorse with the 116 Big Bore stage 3 kit the most of any bike there. It felt like it was 300lbs and had alll the power

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
PowerDubs_imp said:
The TSR donut makes a tiny bit of power all the way up top. I took mine off though because I didn't like the sound it made.

My dyno numbers are with the stock intake boot, but 3 little filter vents on the left side of the airbox and the end of the air filter cut out.

Yea- the stock velocity stacks bring the diameter down to 26mm if I remember correctly instead of the 32mm the butterflies actually are.
After all this discussion I decided today is the day...

0adae9b29d5b5d925d272a1e45f812c9.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk


Nice cheap mod that makes power up top.

Good luck!
cj599_imp said:
does anubody that has had the guhl work done have a pic of their ecm im curious what mod is done on the inside, ive tuned a few personal cars with tuning software of diff types


If you have tuned cars before- I'm confused... are you asking to see the changes he makes to the software data? That's not a 'picture'... it is numbers adjusted within numerous different tables...and certainly not shared as it is intellectual property.
 
mvk24

If you mess up the intakes I have another set to sell if you need to try again. Let me know.

As for teh Indian... LOL! Do not get to excited about it. It is a 1947 Indian Papoose or a Corgi Brockhouse. Amazing little bike and I am sure that a true Indian collector will want it to complete their collection.
 
ive read in the ecm a modification is made so it will take a flash im not talking software
If you have tuned cars before- I'm confused... are you asking to see the changes he makes to the software data? That's not a 'picture'... it is numbers adjusted within numerous different tables...and certainly not shared as it is intellectual property.


im talking a physical modification that has too be done internally honda locks this ecm
Check out the dyno graph of a 2013 CB1100 before and after ECU reflash!

We have spent the last year reverse engineering the Honda flashing protocol and I believe that we are the ONLY aftermarket company that can reflash the Honda motorcycle ECUs through the front connector WITHOUT cutting or drilling into the ECU.

The standard 2013-14 CB1100 reflash includes:
Remapping the ignition timing for full power in all gears and more efficient combustion
Remove the top speed limiter

Options include:
Raising the rev limit. We are not an engine builder, so we are not able to offer rev limiter advice. I can tell you that most people do raise the rev limit 500 rpm. Speak to an engine builder for advice.

Installing a custom fuel map for full power. We have limited maps now, but we will be adding them regularly.

The cost is $375 and that includes standard overnight return shipping to the continental US. International shipping is available at additional cost. The customer is to pay all duties/taxes.

The in-house turnaround time is normally 1 day.

To get this done, box up your ECU with a note with your name, phone number, return shipping address, and email.
Ship it to:
4126 Oregon Pike
Ephrata, PA 17522

We will give you a call to discuss how you want your ECU flashed and get your payment information. We accept Visa, M/C, or Discover. You can also send a money order along with the ECU, if you wish.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.
Thanks,
Don Guhl
Guhl Motors
717-618-4212


seams he does it with out the physical mod interesting all the tuning cables i have discovered says it necessary to modify the ecu
 
teamvisegrip_imp said:
mvk24

If you mess up the intakes I have another set to sell if you need to try again. Let me know.

As for teh Indian... LOL! Do not get to excited about it. It is a 1947 Indian Papoose or a Corgi Brockhouse. Amazing little bike and I am sure that a true Indian collector will want it to complete their collection.
Ayyyyyy i think thats even cooler. I love old bikes... easier to work on and no electronics haha. Send me a picture of it when you can!



And thank you, I got 1 pair done today, to tired to put a few more hours into the other side. I do feel like I could have gone a little bit wider in there but its definitely an improvement. I used Crayola Molding Clay to make a mold of the inside of the stacks before and after and really I didnt gain more than 1 or 2 MM at the bowl and chute.... but the restriction right in the middle of the funnel opened up quite a bit.

I needed to do a 2 part mold of the stock configuration because it actually get skinnier in the middle and then opens again (cant pull the mold out from either side) but after honing them its much more of a bell/funnel shape and I was able to mold it in 1 piece no problem.

- Don't mind the white messy look in the "After" picture. I had to use body powder to help the mold slide out so it did not warp.


- i think I can do a little cleaner job, I used a rotary tool with sanding drum to get the bulk, than 100, 150, 220, 1000 grits.

- After that I used a buffing wheel on the rotary tool with Meguiers Scratch X... Scratch X is a light abrasive and without care it will melt the plastic and ruin your sanding pretty quick (ask me how I know)

- i then used the wheel with some Meguiers Back to Black trim polish and that made the funnels have a stock finish again. Really cleaned them up.



--- I'll have a more methodical process for the other pair and then probably clean up the first pair again. Hopefully I won't need another set but knowing you have a spare set I might try to see hit much thinner I can get the walls of these stacks.
cedb0240cd51f49376b287c1ee8b7258.jpg
67d5246abe42f4316b639b9bb74b231a.jpg
029066936bc195d6167d4a7b737793a3.jpg
cb052d90d23623827ffb980a218839c1.jpg
58d40a96fd73e988139011808253218a.jpg
66ceb068f27e9d9397a22919009cb79a.jpg
2a3ede25d7f9e4f4892f384aebb538ed.jpg
1f6eb36070e434f6dc7d437bc8461a15.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
cj599_imp said:
ive read in the ecm a modification is made so it will take a flash im not talking software
If you have tuned cars before- I'm confused... are you asking to see the changes he makes to the software data? That's not a 'picture'... it is numbers adjusted within numerous different tables...and certainly not shared as it is intellectual property.


im talking a physical modification that has too be done internally honda locks this ecm
Check out the dyno graph of a 2013 CB1100 before and after ECU reflash!

We have spent the last year reverse engineering the Honda flashing protocol and I believe that we are the ONLY aftermarket company that can reflash the Honda motorcycle ECUs through the front connector WITHOUT cutting or drilling into the ECU.

The standard 2013-14 CB1100 reflash includes:
Remapping the ignition timing for full power in all gears and more efficient combustion
Remove the top speed limiter

Options include:
Raising the rev limit. We are not an engine builder, so we are not able to offer rev limiter advice. I can tell you that most people do raise the rev limit 500 rpm. Speak to an engine builder for advice.

Installing a custom fuel map for full power. We have limited maps now, but we will be adding them regularly.

The cost is $375 and that includes standard overnight return shipping to the continental US. International shipping is available at additional cost. The customer is to pay all duties/taxes.

The in-house turnaround time is normally 1 day.

To get this done, box up your ECU with a note with your name, phone number, return shipping address, and email.
Ship it to:
4126 Oregon Pike
Ephrata, PA 17522

We will give you a call to discuss how you want your ECU flashed and get your payment information. We accept Visa, M/C, or Discover. You can also send a money order along with the ECU, if you wish.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.
Thanks,
Don Guhl
Guhl Motors
717-618-4212


seams he does it with out the physical mod interesting all the tuning cables i have discovered says it necessary to modify the ecu
It's a different address now. Or at least I sent mine to a different address.. Check the Guhl site again just in case.

Working with Guhl is pretty easy. I sent mine out on a Thursday, They got it Monday, I chatted with them Tuesday and paid with a card and I had my ECU back that Wednesday afternoon. Badabim badabing. :cool:
 
Hey guys,

I shipped my ECU to Guhl last week via UPS, insured with tracking. It shows as received by them last Monday. However, I've not heard at all from Guhl. In your experience, how long does it typically take to hear from them? I ensured that my contact information was provided, and even provided it twice inside of the shipment. I just tried to call them to follow up and their Voicemail inbox was full. I am mildly concerned...

Thoughts?
 
Thread starter
NovaCB1100_imp said:
Update - spoke with Don this am, all good!
Houtman_imp said:
I HATE it when a companies voice mail box is full , not a good way to run a business.
Yes, I absolutely agree!!
Yes, I absolutely agree!!
I just called them. They were cool about it. You'll talk to the guy tuning the ECU and he'll have it in the mail that day. I had my ECU back the next day.
 
Rox_imp said:
NovaCB1100_imp said:
Update - spoke with Don this am, all good!
Houtman_imp said:
I HATE it when a companies voice mail box is full , not a good way to run a business.
Yes, I absolutely agree!!
Yes, I absolutely agree!!
I just called them. They were cool about it. You'll talk to the guy tuning the ECU and he'll have it in the mail that day. I had my ECU back the next day.
Yes, I absolutely agree!!
I just called them. They were cool about it. You'll talk to the guy tuning the ECU and he'll have it in the mail that day. I had my ECU back the next day.
Thanks Rox - that's what I did as well. Spoke to Don and got everything squared away.

I was getting nervous because I have the bike at a custom builder right now who is fabricating a 4 into 2 (right exit) zoomies style exhaust with a cat delete. He's also fabricating brackets for Sato rearsets installation, deleting the OEM footpeg and passenger footpeg brackets - which really streamlines the bike. His shop is extremely busy so I didn't want to clog his bay up any longer than necessary.
 
Hey guys,

Finally got some pics after getting her back. The fabricator lopped off everything from the cat back and built a custom 4 into 2 exhaust.

In addition:

Sato Racing rearsets and custom fitment
K&N drop in
Guhl Motors reflash
02 sensor delete

Very happy so far with the changes, specifically the sound which is incredible. I previously had a Yoshi RS3 slip-on which was nice, but I felt the sound was always a bit too mild for an 1100.
 
Back
Top