GPS Locators

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was reminded by The Ferret's "Adventure Rider?" thread that a friend of mine who does a lot of long distance riding was talking about the virtues of a GPS locating device/service Called SPOT. I am considering making this purchase because the device does more than provide a method for searchers to find my bike and my body in some drainage ditch.

It can:

1. Provide a method for searcher to find my bike and my body in some drainage ditch.

2. Check-in periodically with friends and loved ones via text, Facebook, and/or Twitter.

3. Track your route so you can view it and save it on Google Maps

4. Send a help message for non-emergencies or an SOS message for emergencies.

The cost isn't exactly low (The device I am looking at runs about $150.00 plus the location service is $100/year), but I really like the route logging and the SOS features. I think my wife would like the check-in/OK feature.

SPOT Satellite Communication Devices | Saved by SPOT | US

What do you guys think?
 
That is exactly the sort of thing I expected to exist, but I had never looked for it. I find the price very reasonable as well. My avalanche tracker cost something like $350, so that locator sounds very good. I would certainly get one if I was planning on going off the beaten track!
 
ES if you have a smart phone, I understand there are tracking apps you can get for those. Used mainly by parents to keep track of their kids, but would allow your family to keep track of you as well. Some are free, some cost. I have been considering getting a smart phone just for that purpose.
 
Thread starter
The only problem with the smartphone (at least as I understand it) is that you need a cell signal, the tracking apps use a lot of power, but that's not a problem if you have an accessory port on the bike.

My wife uses the Find My iPhone app to track me on my bike (and sometimes off my bike, I suspect). In fact, I am using it right now to check on her whereabouts as she is driving home from work in a snow storm.
 
I'm sure some of the smartphone tracking stuff can work without a cell signal as the GPS receiver is separate. For example, I use the TomTom app on my iPhone and it works independently of the cell network. The necessary data is stored on the phone. It does use heaps of power and I wouldn't want to run it without the accessory port, which, by the way, was easy for a klutz to install.

I'm wondering about getting a tracking app—Navionics make one that I suspect would work OK, but I haven't yet worked out whether it needs a cell signal to keep track of things. I suspect not. But I suspect it will use lots of power.

As an aside, I've often wondered what would happen if I really had to rely on the TomTom app for a whole day and it was pouring with rain. My accessory port is mounted on the bars and, for obvious reasons, I don't use it in the wet.
 
Excuse my ignorance, I thought any phone smarter than the one I had was a smart phone lol..that's the kind of phone and app I was talking about ES. She can track you and you can track her?

What program is that, and would you still need a spot if you have that?

Btw I sometimes carry a Tom Tom in my tankbag if going somewhere, not to get to the where, I use paper maps for that, but will use it to zero in on a hotel or motel once I get where I want to go.It will run for 2 hrs on it's own charge.
 
This is twofolded:

1. To determine your position, the device must be able, to receive GPS signal from at least 3 satelites or a signal from a cellphone network post (to know at least the position of the post).

2. To tell somebody else your position, the device must be able, to send the information, via cell phone network, if available. Some devices can link to satellites for a radio transmission.

If you are in the woods, in the mod, in an avalange or just lying on your own device, satellite link may not work at all and cellphone network may not be available.
This may be interesting for adv travellors: SARSAT | Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking

I know this from sailing on open sea.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Excuse my ignorance, I thought any phone smarter than the one I had was a smart phone lol..that's the kind of phone and app I was talking about ES. She can track you and you can track her?

What program is that, and would you still need a spot if you have that?

Btw I sometimes carry a Tom Tom in my tankbag if going somewhere, not to get to the where, I use paper maps for that, but will use it to zero in on a hotel or motel once I get where I want to go.It will run for 2 hrs on it's own charge.
The app I use is "Find My iPhone". I would be interested in the Spot not only so my wife can track me, but so that I can record my route. More important than that is that it has an SOS button on it which notifies local authorities and pinpoints my whereabouts. Also, as far as I know, Spot is NOT a navigation system, like your Tom Tom. It is designed so people can find you and that you can let them know you are OK or not OK.

Django is correct, of course, that the satellites need to "see" the Spot device, but generally that is more likely than finding a cellular signal and besides that, I am sure that the Spot device will use cell towers in addition to satellites for location purposes and for sending out messages/distress signals. I might have to crawl out of the ditch for someone to find me, but I'd have to do that in the absence of the device (cell or sat.) anyway. I figure I have a better shot of being found using something like this. Besides, if I had to rely on my wife checking on me via Find My iPhone, who knows? She may just leave me there and start counting the life insurance proceeds.
In an emergency...the Spot device notifies the GEOS Rescue Coordination Center http://www.geosalliance.com/
 
The 'connect' looks intriguing since it turns your smartphone into a satellite device. But it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Do you know anything about that device?
 
Thread starter
I know nothing more than what I have read on their site. I haven't investigated further because I don't need to be located when I'm sitting in my family room waiting for winter to go away. LOL. I'll snoop around a bit more and maybe talk to the geeks at REI, the retailer closest to me.

I would agree that the Connect seems to be a good option...not sure why it's not available. The Gen 3 has a 50% rebate, which is sweet.

[i just shot off an email to the company asking for their device recommendation for motorcyclists and whether the Connect is available]
 
I have a SPOT Gen3. I purchased the device because I took a solo ride and was traveling through mountains where cell reception was spotty. I had two separate lists of contacts that I could notify with a preset message simply by pushing a button. One set of contacts (my family) got multiple messages every day (whenever I stopped for gas or for food) and the other contacts got a message at the end of the day. My device was set to send emails with a map of my location, but I believe you could send text messages as well. My friends loved the daily messages.
There are much cheaper ways to communicate and track, with cell phone apps, if that is all you are interested in. To use the SPOT you must sign up for a year-long activation, and my SPOT has sat unused since my trip last summer. I purchased it for the emergency features. With the push of a button I could send a message to have a contact request road-side assistance. There is a separate SOS button that sends a message to local responders along with your GPS coordinates. Of course, you need to be able to push that button!
At the end of the trip, I downloaded the GPS tracking information to record my trip on a map. You can keep the list of coordinates and you can keep the maps that you create from those coordinates. But the data is stored for only 30 days so you must download it within that time frame. If you want to use the SPOT software to create a map from the tracking data you must do it within 30 days. Of course, once you download the tracking data you can keep it, but after 30 days you must find another way to create a map. I hadn’t intended to be away from home for 30 days, so didn’t pay attention to this issue, and when I returned home after more than 30 days, I found I had lost some of my tracking data.
I was satisfied with the peace of mind offered by the emergency features. The battery lasted over 3 weeks and the warning to replace it gave me time to buy another one. The other communication features were simply a side benefit. The SPOT software was not ideal for creating a map, since the software only interacts with the data stored in the SPOT database, and the data is stored only for 30 days.
 
Thread starter
The company recommends the Gen3. I had also asked them why it seems that the Connect is not available and if they could give me a bit of a comparison of the two devices. They did not provide that and have not yet replied to my follow up email. I think I'm going to go with the Gen3 as the reviews of the app that goes with the Connect are not very favorable.

I'm not doing this until spring, so my review will have to wait a bit.
 
Back
Top