The Cormanus Chronicles: Looking after a mate's mental health

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
As a working stiff (an American expression I like a lot), GrahamT, member and occasional poster on this forum, needs to take the occasional day off to get his head straight. A mental health day, as he calls it, must involve his CB1100. Because his head apparently isn’t straight on these occasions it’s incapable of thought and so I have to all the work of planning a route and guiding him on his way. In return his wife manufacturers some splendid sandwiches for us to eat somewhere along the way. See, he really is a mess.

26 January is Australia Day—or Invasion Day if you’re an indigenous Australian. It’s a public holiday. This year it fell on a Tuesday. Conveniently for GrahamT, his mental health deteriorated to the point of collapse on Monday 25 January—an event he foresaw with remarkable prescience.

Monday 25 January dawned overcast and, as I was pondering heading out, it started to rain. While I’m not too concerned about getting wet, I object to having to put on my waterproof onesie before I set out unless I’m embarking on a longer and unavoidable trip. So we delayed the start for a bit as the forecast was for rain to ease. Which it did and we got underway at around 0930.

Awaiting GrahamT’s arrival

[url=https://postimg.cc/MXfC4m2k]
GT is ridiculously tall and makes the CB1100 look like a toy

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Regular readers of these nonsensical chronicles know the drill: click on [url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1OSKb0-Oet6sHzgAeleZUQ3ThFjXfRZ4O&usp=sharing]this link to play with the actual map and make more sense of it all

As can be seen from the map, our route took us south with a stop at the top of Mt Tambourine. Where, of course, it was raining gently. My plan was to go down the mountain towards the coast and then up and down another before climbing a third before lunch, all to maximise our corning practice. However, as I drank my coffee and GrahamT his tea, a study of the radar made clear that the rain was hanging around the coast and in the higher places on my planned route. It was time for a new plan.

I can’t begin to say how annoying that was. I usually wing it, but this time I’d done an enormous amount of work to program a route into my Sygic app. All for nothing.

We went down the mountain in the rain and headed inland to Canungra where, as planned, it became dry again. Improvisation was the name of the game at this point and I took us along what turned out to be a very pretty back round thereby avoiding both traffic and mild boredom. There was a kilometre or so of well-made gravel road, but that was no problem. Fun even.

Then it was through Beaudesert and on to Laravale. I’d always wanted to have a look at Christmas Creek Road so we took that for a while before turning back towards the Innisplain Road which leads to the Lions Road. I’ll go and ride the rest of the Christmas Creek Road one day, but I’m pretty sure it loops back to Beaudesert which is a great place to pass through.

The countryside was unusually stunning. The grass is usually brown and the ground parched, but there’d been more rain that usual and the paddocks were green and lush; so, too, the roadside grass was long and green. It was altogether a delightful day for a ride.

COVID restrictions meant the road across the border was closed; in any event, if we ventured across we’d need a pass to get back assuming we could as we would have run out of fuel somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I figured on finding pretty spot beside a creek where we could stop and eat our sandwiches. As we crossed a bridge, I spied a place and, without any thought to how we might get out again, I led the way down a bumpy and rutted track. It was pretty enough by the river. We even saw a fish or two. And the sandwiches were excellent.
[url=https://postimg.cc/fSd19DjW]

[url=https://postimg.cc/YGZJ0hFy]
The sublime and the ridiculous: one dwarfs the CB; the other is dwarfed by it.

[url=https://postimg.cc/xcrwSNnX]
A eucalypt hanging on by the creek

[url=https://postimg.cc/Z9KkMkZj]
At the time, the route up from the creek looked steeper and more threatening than it does in this picture. This path was better than the heavily rutted alternative that we came down.

[url=https://postimg.cc/68KxC2mk]

[url=https://postimg.cc/47mDXzY9]
Having escaped the light rain, it was a glorious day and the hills beside the Lions Road were lush and green.

After lunch we made our way back to Rathdowney for fuel. Fail. The service station was closed. GrahamT, who has not yet consumed the cool aid relating to [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/68075/]Noroomtomove’s first law of motion and fuel consumption was alarmed by this development. After a quick look at the map, I—who had less fuel—was sanguine and we made our way 12 kilometres up the road to Tamrookum where there is a petrol station/store and very little else.

After refuelling, I took the opportunity to tighten one of my relocated indicators which had shaken itself loose.

The original plan had contained a comfortable stop at the café at O’Reilly’s resort where I would program the GPS for my planned ride home. That hadn’t happened and so, although I had a plan, I wasn’t sure exactly where we would head from Tamrookum. It proved hard to program Sygic without being able to look at a larger map on the screen of my laptop.

When we arrived at my turning point we were greeted by dirt. I had no idea of its condition or how far it went, so I elected to change our plan—GrahamT just shrugs when asked whether he has any preference—and ride home over the mountains behind Brisbane, even though that would make us a bit later than I’d intended.

What I didn’t realise was that my phone was not charging and the GPS was joyfully draining the life from the battery. When, a few kilometres later, I stopped to check the route because I didn’t like the general direction in which we were heading, I realised I had only a couple of minutes until the phone died. It’s irrelevant really, but a good clean of the pins at the phone end of the cable appears to have resolved the problem.

GrahamT took over navigation and whichever of Google or Apple Maps he used also insisted on taking us way from where I was pretty sure we really wanted to go. After GT slipped up and took a wrong turn, we abandoned any pretence of riding on, bumped elbows and shortly after took divergent routes home. I confess I was pretty pleased, realising when I got home that I wasn’t really ride fit and that I’d had enough.

All up another excellent day on the CB1100: good company, a pleasant ride, escape from the city and an excellent sandwich. 315 kilometres on the clock.

Thanks GT.
 
Lovely write up. By the time you read this we will be past 110,000 lost to the virus which is terrible. Hospitals are all rammed with very poorly people. I think it’s affecting most people of a certain age (self included) badly and highlighting our fragility and mortality too. This forum is a big help because it pulls people from all over the world together. How else would I read about two guys in Oz having a great day out?
 
Thread starter
Thank you Jfro5687. My wife has a daughter and grandchildren in Scotland so we monitor the progress of the virus in the UK pretty closely. It seems to be very active there. Stay as isolated as you can and stay safe.

We're lucky here.
 
Thread starter
Thank you, Rocky.
 
I like the way GO put it.

Your face has gotten white fuzzy my friend. (mine too I'm afraid)
 
Thank you for the nice write up , some of my friends mental status is beyond help , made worse by the Covid situation .
 
I want to go on more rides like that! Thanks as always for sharing.
 
Thanks for taking us with you on a great days ride, Cormanus. In the middle of a winter lockdown here in waterlogged UK, I was still able to have a little "circuitous" ride to and from my mechanic, on my little Yamaha... a breather for me, with an excuse to "get out"! Your write-up is the icing on the cake! Thanks again. :thumbsup:
 
Nice write up mate, I cant believe how green it is there, especially for this time of year!
We are getting pretty dry here, and the 6.00 news is covering the wildfires in Perth, so I was not expecting lush greenery when I read your post!
And good on ya for looking out for your mate :thumbsup: Nothing like a bit of 2 wheel therapy
 
Wonderful!!

I always enjoy a new edition of Cormanus Chronicles!

It's funny...I have met only a small number of forum members over 7,8 years on the forum having attended only one west coast rally. I "know" most of you by your forum nicknames, so it's fun to see faces attached to the names.

The main connection I make is someone's forum name with location. "Cormanus" conjures up squiggly blue lines on maps in eastern Australia. "Ferret" means a wooded driveway somewhere in Ohio. I see "peterbaron" responds to someone and I shiver with cold from Canada..."GoldOxide" and "Gone in 60" always confuse me though, one's always avoiding LA traffic and the other is just as cold as peterbaron. "EmptySea / MTC" means Chicago, "LordPopgun" back east, I think he and "Houtman" are middle Atlantic... "Dave" in San Diego, "max" and "treedoc" are island bound just east over the horizon from Cormanus, deserts images pop into my mind when "tod.branko" posts, "Jfro5687" means "Big Ben"...and many others...

I know, silly associations... but I think it's cool that there's so many places, trips cultures, values, ideas shared here--all brought together by a common affection for a little maching on two wheels.

Keep the Chronicles coming!!
 
Thread starter
Thank you for the kind words Au₂O₃, Ferret, Houtman, Gone in 60, Bazbro, treedoc and pdedse.

Ferret, my beard is very grey now, particularly when it gets a bit longer. Strangley there is very little grey in what little is left of my hair.

Houtman, take your friends for a gentle ride along the BRP. It does seem to help. Otherwise maybe bheezy's brewery would do the trick. Takeaway may be necessary for COVID reasons.

Gone in 60, you're welcome to join us any time, although I'm not sure your pristine CB would care to be anywhere near my battle scarred monster.

Bazbro, it's good you could get out for a ride. Be careful in the UK. This virus seems to be running rampant there.

treedoc, as I said, I was surprised and pleased by how green it was. It ought to be: this is our wet season after all, although we've had less than average rainfall. It often doesn't seem to help that area just north of the Queensland - New South Wales border. I think much of the rain falls on the southern side.

pdedse, thank you for those whimsical reflections on forum names. I see you and LongRanger having the same dwarfing impact as GrahamT on the CB1100. Come to Queensland when you eventually get to Australia to visit your sister. I'm hoping there may be a ride in my near future which will result in another episode in the Chronicles.
 
Cormanus , the problem is that I can not take some of my friends to Bheezy's brewery as a few of them are "ex" alcoholics and have to go to AA meetings daily , now done thru zoom. One of them has been sober for 40 years and still has a daily meeting to help others. When he told me a few months ago that he was sober for 40 years I told him " let's go out for a drink to celebrate this " My wife thinks that I am awful to say that .
 
Houtman_imp said:
Cormanus , the problem is that I can not take some of my friends to Bheezy's brewery as a few of them are "ex" alcoholics and have to go to AA meetings daily , now done thru zoom. One of them has been sober for 40 years and still has a daily meeting to help others. When he told me a few months ago that he was sober for 40 years I told him " let's go out for a drink to celebrate this " My wife thinks that I am awful to say that .
Yeah, I know people in similar situation, but not 40 years - more like 20.

I also knew a few who after 15 years or so began to drink responsibly and humbly. I believe those people beat their demon.

For the others, when that urge comes, might be better to instead find that CB1100, mount it and take you to the horizon.
 
Thread starter
Houtman, you'll just have to go for option A: take them for a ride on the BRP. I'm sure you're very proud of your friend. 40 years fighting a demon is a grand effort. Your wife shouldn't worry. If this bloke has stayed off the sauce for 40 years and known you for even half that time, he'll appreciate the joke.
 
Yes , these friends ride bikes and we OFTEN go on the BRP and meet at the Pisgah Inn Country Store and yes they do know my sense of humor and love it. Also we have the same political views which make it easier to have a conversation.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thank you for the kind words Au₂O₃, Ferret, Houtman, Gone in 60, Bazbro, treedoc and pdedse.

Ferret, my beard is very grey now, particularly when it gets a bit longer. Strangley there is very little grey in what little is left of my hair.

Houtman, take your friends for a gentle ride along the BRP. It does seem to help. Otherwise maybe bheezy's brewery would do the trick. Takeaway may be necessary for COVID reasons.

Gone in 60, you're welcome to join us any time, although I'm not sure your pristine CB would care to be anywhere near my battle scarred monster.

Bazbro, it's good you could get out for a ride. Be careful in the UK. This virus seems to be running rampant there.

treedoc, as I said, I was surprised and pleased by how green it was. It ought to be: this is our wet season after all, although we've had less than average rainfall. It often doesn't seem to help that area just north of the Queensland - New South Wales border. I think much of the rain falls on the southern side.

pdedse, thank you for those whimsical reflections on forum names. I see you and LongRanger having the same dwarfing impact as GrahamT on the CB1100. Come to Queensland when you eventually get to Australia to visit your sister. I'm hoping there may be a ride in my near future which will result in another episode in the Chronicles.
Yes, even my non-mc-loving wife notices the "dwarfing impact"...says I look like I'm riding a pony on the CB and that I look much better on my KLR650--that it fits me like a horse.

Cormanus_imp said:
Thank you for the kind words Au₂O₃, Ferret, Houtman, Gone in 60, Bazbro, treedoc and pdedse.

Ferret, my beard is very grey now, particularly when it gets a bit longer. Strangley there is very little grey in what little is left of my hair.

Houtman, take your friends for a gentle ride along the BRP. It does seem to help. Otherwise maybe bheezy's brewery would do the trick. Takeaway may be necessary for COVID reasons.

Gone in 60, you're welcome to join us any time, although I'm not sure your pristine CB would care to be anywhere near my battle scarred monster.

Bazbro, it's good you could get out for a ride. Be careful in the UK. This virus seems to be running rampant there.

treedoc, as I said, I was surprised and pleased by how green it was. It ought to be: this is our wet season after all, although we've had less than average rainfall. It often doesn't seem to help that area just north of the Queensland - New South Wales border. I think much of the rain falls on the southern side.

pdedse, thank you for those whimsical reflections on forum names. I see you and LongRanger having the same dwarfing impact as GrahamT on the CB1100. Come to Queensland when you eventually get to Australia to visit your sister. I'm hoping there may be a ride in my near future which will result in another episode in the Chronicles.
Will do!! Sis has been in Adelaide for about 40 of the last 50 years, and I've never visited--always "have to" use vacation time go to Costa Rica because of my wife's family. As I get older, I dread the long flights. But I'm still hopeful. My sister probably won't understand my insistence that I visit Queensland first : )
 
Wow, nice trip, 2 days/315 kms is better than nothing, as we still have winter in Canada.
Picture 2 at gas station and pic 3 near the pond, is that you Cormanus?
Who is that rider in pic 4, beside the CB?
During winter times/Jun/Jul/Aug in Australia, do you still ride as much as in summer?
:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top