Gear Indicator Install

Someone please tell me how a gear indicator is a useful piece of equipment that will either keep you safer or make you a better rider? It's just another farkle, admit it.
 
How does having one make you a "poser" and more important...who cares?

An analogy: I happen to think that the 6th gear is a "farkle" by your definition. I don't need it, it doesn't make me a better rider or keep me safer. However, I don't care if someone else loves the 6th gear. I'm not smart for not wanting it and they're not stupid for wanting it.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
How does having one make you a "poser" and more important...who cares?

An analogy: I happen to think that the 6th gear is a "farkle" by your definition. I don't need it, it doesn't make me a better rider or keep me safer. However, I don't care if someone else loves the 6th gear. I'm not smart for not wanting it and they're not stupid for wanting it.
BTW- I also think the 6th gear is unnecessary. I never said anyone was stupid for wanting something or not wanting something. I just feel the gear indicator is a cute farkle, nothing more. The time you spend looking at it is more time you're not looking at the road. And what does it matter if the indicator reads 3,4,5 or 13? Are you going to let it decide what gear you should ride in? I think not. The type of road and your speed and whether you may be needing to speed up or maybe slow down is what tells you what gear to be in. If you're in a safe speed and gear combination, you'll feeel it, you shouldn't be looking at a readout to help you.
 
"Now, don't get me started on the stupid gear indicator. All right, so nobody got me started....but here goes....Real motorcyclists don't need no stinkin gear indicator! Posers need a gear indicator!"

I guess that, technically, you didn't call the person who likes the gear indicator stupid, but it is an easy inference to make. Similarly, it could be easily inferred that you think anyone who likes the gear indicator is a poser. Frankly, this is all semantics, but I tend to be a little thin-skinned about people's statements that, intentionally or otherwise, judge another person's intellect or taste about something when they should simply state that they don't care for the thing. People do that with music and food all the time and it drives me up the wall. "Sushi is gross" instead of "I don't care for sushi". "Country music is terrible" instead of "I prefer Ska". When you say that gear indicators are stupid, you are making a judgement about those who like them. If you had said "I don't find them useful", you would simply be stating something about YOUR preference. So, that is a long-winded and convoluted apology for my misinterpreting your posts on this subject.

Let's look for common ground....anyone who doesn't see the value of RLETs is definitely stupid, right? ;)
 
MTC, if you'd dare to quote my entire paragraph, maybe someone could then explain it to you that I was having some fun. Sorry if my calling an add-on a farkle offends you. Yes, I think it's a farkle. Yes, I think it adds no usefulness to the bike. But neither do RLETs and yet I've posted that I've installed them and I think they are great. Am I calling myself stupid? You are inferring way too much with regard to my comment and you keep trying to stretch things to say that I am calling people stupid. I want you to stop saying that.

And furthermore, you go on a paragraph long rant against me and then at the very end you call it a convoluted apology? No thank you.
 
gossman_imp said:
This is getting pretty grumpy, unusual for what I consider the nicest forum on the 'net.
Mind your business gossman! This is just getting good!

I'm kidding, of course. Some people (I Classic won't mention VW names) have strong opinions and aren't afraid to express them. The poser comment I took as nothing more than a jab made in fun. The idiots comment I took as nothing more than a strong opinion against the need for a gear indicator that could and probably should have been worded differently. It's just that I'm so comfortable in my choices of what I like or find necessary or find useless, that someone else's strongly voiced opinion to the contrary is, at most, amusing.

Let's all hug it out. What do you say? Unless, of course, someone is going to talk smack about RLETs. In which case, it's on like Donkey Kong!
 
If Honda wanted me to have a gear indicator on my '13 they would have done so! It's only for the sissies that came along later that they had to add it. When I was a kid I use have to KICKSTART my GT550 and it was on the wrong side! Kids these days..... ;)
 
gossman_imp said:
If Honda wanted me to have a gear indicator on my '13 they would have done so! It's only for the sissies that came along later that they had to add it. When I was a kid I use have to KICKSTART my GT550 and it was on the wrong side! Kids these days..... ;)
There it is! Don't you feel better now. Be true to your cantankerous self.
AllenM_imp said:
I just read Chip Beck's post about his recent long distant trip at speeds of around 85 and how a 6th gear could be helpful. So, I can see where a 6th gear would be desired based on your riding needs. Chip Beck CB1100 Road Trip Info & Impressions
Trying to be the voice of reason is not going to work. It's too late for that. The lunatics have taken over the asylum!

Bwaaaa haaaaa haaaa haaaaaaaaaa!
 
Yeah, well, I typed out a whole nuther rant to clarify my points in my last post, but it seemed like a tremendous waste of time for the rest of you, so I deleted it.

I apparently don't quite get ClassicVW's humor which is distressing in as much as I think I, as much as anyone here, truly appreciate humor and sarcasm. So, I'm sorry for not understanding that he was joking when he called anyone who needs a gear indicator a poser. Further, I apologize for the detour this thread has taken due to my annoyance with people who cannot express their own distaste for something without criticizing the taste of a person who may not share his opinion.

Hopefully, folks can return to the original intent of this thread and be sure that the OP's questions are answered.
 
Winter ...... gawd I hate it when people can't get out and ride.
 
+1. Cabin fever, getting cranky, need to order parts from somewhere and farkle fast! Guys grab a drink, sit in the garage for a few minutes, stare at a beautiful machine and relax. All motorcycles are good to someone. Spring will be here soon, and get your taxes done so when good weather hits you are not doing that.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Alright, nothing to see here, let's move on.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Re: ES: Another couple of jabs at me while "apologizing" to everyone else. Just beautiful.
Classic, I'm glad you're going to let it go. I think it's the right thing to do for your happiness and for the entire mood of this forum. To say thanks, I've decided to send you an aftermarket gear indicator. I'm sure you're going to love it!

What? Too soon? Oh c'mon!

Okay...I'm sorry. Geez.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
Re: ES: Another couple of jabs at me while "apologizing" to everyone else. Just beautiful.
Classic, I'm glad you're going to let it go. I think it's the right thing to do for your happiness and for the entire mood of this forum. To say thanks, I've decided to send you an aftermarket gear indicator. I'm sure you're going to love it!

What? Too soon? Oh c'mon!

Okay...I'm sorry. Geez.
No, not too soon. Now, that's funny!
"I" have a sense of humor.
 
Thread starter
OK, now that I have a lot of opinions on whether a gear indicator is good or bad and a few other things that are not on the subject, lets get back to the original question please. For those of us that have or bought one, where and how did you mount it? I have one that is plug and play but would like some ideas on how and where to mount it. Thanks
 
Back
Top