Gear Indicator Install

That Popgun! He's a very naughty boy.
 
Cormanus,

I received my GI-pro today. I have a comment. In your picture, you have the red Honda connector and the white GI -pro connector aiming the wrong way. The white indicator connector will plug back on where the original red cap was on the holder plate without need for the spot tie. Then the red Honda connector will then plug in and be positioned like from the factory.

At least that is my experience. What say you?
 
What say I, Popgun?

I was both excited and dejected by your post. Excited because I saw an opportunity to tidy up the installation of the indicator. Dejected because I was obviously such a technical klutz that I couldn't even figure out something so simple. That wasn't a surprise. I rushed outside, ripped the side cover off the CB, cut the cable tie (you call it a spot tie), turned the fitting around and tried to slide the white thingy onto the tab. It wouldn't go. I tried again. It still wouldn't go.

So I went up to my shambles of a shed and rooted around until I found the red OEM thingy I removed to plug in the white thingy on the gear indicator and took it to the bike to compare it. They are not the same. Observe the following pictures.

Red thingy


White thingy

See how the top is different? The red OEM fitting has a slot to slide the tab into. The white GI-pro fitting does not. There's no way it's going on the tab. GI-pro has obviously updated the fitting just for you, Popgun. Not for me. I WAS RIGHT TO TIE THE BAST*RD ON WITH A CABLE TIE!!!

Back to the shed, mate. Plenty of cursing 'cause I couldn't find a cable tie. I thought, "I know what I'll say: 'that bloo*y Popgun: persuading me to cut the last cable tie in Australia so he could show me I was right.'"

Then I found a cable tie, put the whole thing back together and calmed down.

What say I, Popgun? I say your fitting must be different to mine. And thank god for cable ties.
 
Cormanus,

Oh man, sorry about that. Maybe I did it wrong.

You are right about the cable tie. We, meaning us at work, work on aircraft equipment and a flat braided nylon line called spot tie is used on a lot of cables. So we tend to call cable ties spot tie. Its real name is cable lacing I think.

Cable ties are also know as zip ties, at least in the US.
 
Cormanus,

Ok, I'm home after work. My red 'cap' is exactly the same as the white connector on the GI pro, except, said Capt. Obvious, it is red.

Note that the red 'cap' is actually a connector with no pins, just plugs in the end. You could if you wanted, de-pin your white connector and re-pin the pins into the red 'cap' and everything would fit back on the bike like factory.

These type connectors (Hitachi, I THINK) are very easy to de-pin and re-pin. No special tools required. Well, you do need something like a very very small flat head screwdriver or better, a scribe. Something small with a point.
 
Popgun,

Don't stress. I was having a bit of a laugh. When you reported on your installation I was confident I'd made a mistake—I'm not very good at these mechanical and technical things so that was more than likely. I was pleasantly surprised in a perverse kinda way that I'd got it right!

Thanks for the advice about de-pinning and re-pinning the plug. One of these days, when I'm feeling extra courageous, I might see if I can do it. I take it they're easy to buy?
 
Cormanus,

You don't have to buy anything, just de-pin (i.e. remove) the pins from the old white connector, and put them in the old red one and plug it back in to the bike plug.

If you ever decide to do this, we can take it to PM or email and I'll tell you how. Its easy. You just release the pin and pull it out. Details if needed. No special pin extractors needed.

As far as buying connectors, I guess you could order the 'cap' from Honda, but getting the connectors on the harness would require you to find a source. AFAIK, Honda does not sell harness parts separately. Someone on here did post a link to a Hitachi source once for pins and connectors, but I don't remember who or where. Search would be our friend on that. But you don't need anything new.
 
Sorry, Popgun, I should have been clearer. I realize I could swap the pins but I wanted some backup just in case.

Thanks for the offer of help, I may well take you up on it sometime when I have a bit less on.

Meanwhile, enjoy the indicator. I find it strangely helpful in an innumerate kinda way. :D
 
Cormanus,

Did you lift the tank to run the cable? I don't see a good way to run it neatly otherwise along the existing cable harness.

I'm not going to remove it though, don't want to fight the fuel connection again...

Edit to add: just for info, I got the green LED display.
 
Looks good popgun (yes, I was being facetious) . How can a guy know about swapping pins in a 6 pin connector and not figure out how to post pics. It befuddles me lol
 
My display is blue.

Yes, popgun, I did lift the tank. Just undid the bolt at the rear, and pulled it astern slightly so it would lift and I could thread the wire along with the others. Didn't have to take the tank right off.
 
I bought the red one. It looks great, and even though it didn't matter, it matches the bike. Also, I can see it in full sunlight. I also removed the rear bolt on my gas tank and lifted it to get the wire run from the front to the back. There's a "tray" of sorts under the tank where other wires are running so it worked out well.
 
Well, I thought Red was more for warning, and Green for info. And it matched the Neutral indicator light. Just my thinking. ;)
 
I bought mine second hand so I got what I got.
 
Thanks Cormanus for the how to's and don'ts and photos, very informative!

I got the White one which matches the number dials and just for info's sake Heal tech mentioned that the white is the most visible in direct sunlight compared to the other colors.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Looks good popgun (yes, I was being facetious) . How can a guy know about swapping pins in a 6 pin connector and not figure out how to post pics. It befuddles me lol
Hanging my head in shame :blush:

You see, I don't know any 12 year olds to teach me :rolleyes:

Wait, you don't even have a smart phone, and you're getting on me? Only Cormanus and ClassicVW can do that :P
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Looks good popgun (yes, I was being facetious) . How can a guy know about swapping pins in a 6 pin connector and not figure out how to post pics. It befuddles me lol
Hanging my head in shame :blush:

You see, I don't know any 12 year olds to teach me :rolleyes:

Wait, you don't even have a smart phone, and you're getting on me? Only Cormanus and ClassicVW can do that :P
Hanging my head in shame :blush:

You see, I don't know any 12 year olds to teach me :rolleyes:

Wait, you don't even have a smart phone, and you're getting on me? Only Cormanus and ClassicVW can do that :P
:rofl:

oops. Hey, someday this rotary cell phone is going to be a collectors item.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Looks good popgun (yes, I was being facetious) . How can a guy know about swapping pins in a 6 pin connector and not figure out how to post pics. It befuddles me lol
Hanging my head in shame :blush:

You see, I don't know any 12 year olds to teach me :rolleyes:

Wait, you don't even have a smart phone, and you're getting on me? Only Cormanus and ClassicVW can do that :P
Hanging my head in shame :blush:

You see, I don't know any 12 year olds to teach me :rolleyes:

Wait, you don't even have a smart phone, and you're getting on me? Only Cormanus and ClassicVW can do that :P
:rofl:

oops. Hey, someday this rotary cell phone is going to be a collectors item.
Late last year my niece decided to buy an old rotary dial phone at a flea market for $5. Turns out, by identifying a sticker on the bottom, we discovered it was the exact same phone my late mother got rid of about 15 years ago. She could have had it for free back then, but back then it was junk. Today its quaint.
 
Back
Top