Forum Website Issues

Cannot use google chrome to surf through the forum.
Did everything I could, still no help. Will wait for my son until he comes back from US to fix it.
iPhone works ok
I temporally switched to Safari = np
:-/
 
I figured I have some problem with Google Chrome installed on one of my computers.
Everything works ok with iPhone and other computers including one at work.
Fix is coming
 
I use an Apple laptop and have not had problems with Chrome until yesterday or the day before. Now it will not display the forum properly. Safari will. Makes me wonder whether it is an Apple-specific issue. I tried clearing the browsing data to no avail, so I might try deleting and reinstalling Chrome and see what happens.
 
I use Firefox on my old Dell desktop using Windows, and have had no trouble recently. I did have the problem I think you are having some time back, but not lately.
 
Why bother about Chrome anyway, with all it's built-in Google "kindly-we-exploit-your-data" machinery ?
Safari is good, Firefox is better. Shed it altogether !
 
Fair question, Gecko. My answer: because it's fast and, hitherto, reliable. Safari is, as you say, a fine browser as is Firefox.

To update folks: I reinstalled Chrome and the problem with displaying the forum continues.
 
Chrome and Chromium are incredibly fast and reliable, at least on Linux distros and Windoze 10+. For Apple version reliability, it should not surprise anyone that Chrome builds tend to be behind on the competitor's platform, particularly if they prefer users to use their native Safari.

In terms of "exploitation": There are a lot of choices on the market. Pick your poison. Run Chrome in incognito mode, if you wish. All I know is I navigate the CB1100 Forum site extremely fast and have never used another browser. Chrome is exceptionally fast on Android too and this site interacts well.

I never gave it a thought until Apple Fan people starting chirping. By the way, I also happily use several Apple computing products, but I avoid Safari at all costs.

My fallback is FireFox, but it is quite bloated these days, unlike many years ago. It works, as does Microslop Edge - which I tend to avoid, ... like Apple Safari.
 
So ... thanks to my son, I can report that the problem lies in a default setting in Chrome which forces websites to default to the secure "https://" setting. When one loads "Honda CB1100 Forum - For fans of Honda's CB1100" the browser looks for the various screen images using the https protocol and can't find them meaning they don't display. As I recall this forum has not been set up for the https protocol so it is not surprising.

See this page: How to stop Google Chrome from automatically redirecting to HTTPS to learn how to fix the problem.

I have followed the instructions there and so far, so good.

To each his/her/their/its own, Au₂O₃. I have used Chrome extensively in the Apple Mac OS and found it generally reliable and fast. I find Safari works well in the Apple ecosystem. I don't find Chrome as satisfactory on iOS and avoid using it there.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
So ... thanks to my son, I can report that the problem lies in a default setting in Chrome which forces websites to default to the secure "https://" setting. When one loads "Honda CB1100 Forum - For fans of Honda's CB1100" the browser looks for the various screen images using the https protocol and can't find them meaning they don't display. As I recall this forum has not been set up for the https protocol so it is not surprising.

See this page: How to stop Google Chrome from automatically redirecting to HTTPS to learn how to fix the problem.

I have followed the instructions there and so far, so good.

To each his/her/their/its own, Au₂O₃. I have used Chrome extensively in the Apple Mac OS and found it generally reliable and fast. I find Safari works well in the Apple ecosystem. I don't find Chrome as satisfactory on iOS and avoid using it there.
This is a sensible and supporting statement.

Native Safari likely has better insight to the underlying Apple operating system, unlike competitor Chrome. Chrome might not be able to make certain calls successfully, or doesn't know to make certain calls, and hence, it is lagging its Linux and Windows versions in some adapting functionality.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
So ... thanks to my son, I can report that the problem lies in a default setting in Chrome which forces websites to default to the secure "https://" setting. When one loads "Honda CB1100 Forum - For fans of Honda's CB1100" the browser looks for the various screen images using the https protocol and can't find them meaning they don't display. As I recall this forum has not been set up for the https protocol so it is not surprising.

See this page: How to stop Google Chrome from automatically redirecting to HTTPS to learn how to fix the problem.

I have followed the instructions there and so far, so good.

To each his/her/their/its own, Au₂O₃. I have used Chrome extensively in the Apple Mac OS and found it generally reliable and fast. I find Safari works well in the Apple ecosystem. I don't find Chrome as satisfactory on iOS and avoid using it there.
If you don't feel like changing settings, you can just eliminate the S after http in the address bar.
 
You can, 12milesout, but you may have to do it every time you return to the main page.
 
12milesout_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
So ... thanks to my son, I can report that the problem lies in a default setting in Chrome which forces websites to default to the secure "https://" setting. When one loads "Honda CB1100 Forum - For fans of Honda's CB1100" the browser looks for the various screen images using the https protocol and can't find them meaning they don't display. As I recall this forum has not been set up for the https protocol so it is not surprising.

See this page: How to stop Google Chrome from automatically redirecting to HTTPS to learn how to fix the problem.

I have followed the instructions there and so far, so good.

To each his/her/their/its own, Au₂O₃. I have used Chrome extensively in the Apple Mac OS and found it generally reliable and fast. I find Safari works well in the Apple ecosystem. I don't find Chrome as satisfactory on iOS and avoid using it there.
If you don't feel like changing settings, you can just eliminate the S after http in the address bar.
If you don't feel like changing settings, you can just eliminate the S after http in the address bar.
THANK YOU!!! This was driving me batty. It's been doing this for 3 or 4 days and I had no clue what was going on. It had done this before a few years ago, but stopped on it's own within a few hours... but not this time.
 
OK, so Chrome is still screwing up, but I'm logged in on FireFox and it appears normal. Not sure what's going on, but I can't seem to get it to straighten out. It worked for all of 5 minutes last night, but after that it reverted to the white screen with text on it. It's like the HTML code is all screwed up or something.
 
I changed the settings as instructed and have had no problems since ... touch wood or whatever other superstition is appropriate here.
 
Back
Top