For better or worse

That is a pretty combination. Oh well, not enough miles to register in CA.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
That is a pretty combination. Oh well, not enough miles to register in CA.
What does that mean? A bike if out of state has to have a certain amount of miles before it can be brought to CA and be registered? Or can they be registered in CA if not a CA bike? I'm unfamiliar with the details, but interested because my daughter is using my OR registered car and she now lives in CA and will continue to do so for several more years...both live their and use my car.
Last three November days, and two are good for riding...that's pretty good for Oregon this time of the year. In fact, today was really good...rain soaked roads from yesterday were largely dry by early afternoon, temps creeping above 50, sunny skies mostly, no wind. Had all the right riding gear and it made another 60 mile outing pretty special.

Orange was my dad's favorite color, so these are for him:

Mt. Hood in the background:
c3beabf7a3dbf15fdb7b8a252183cc2c.jpg


Some snow over in WA off in the distance:
b24006b96fe090fcbb14804b0a164952.jpg


I think RE did a nice job with their color selections:
f761010f8835a82ee22404994e781eb2.jpg


Lots of forest fires the last few years in the Estacada area. Many trees with burned trunks. They seem to be clearing areas due to the fires...or maybe it's normal logging, I'm not sure:
dab16f749967788b8daae21d4c805c4b.jpg


Did not want to end the ride as the rains will return soon on Friday.
41a1ef1ee0778e71e48edc3cc7bfc627.jpg


If you had told me many years ago when the kids were tykes and finances a lot more tight "look what's gonna be in your garage some day"...well, that would have made all the sleep ravaged nights a bit easier:
0407d31f2ee69f3154e77dd1daf30bdc.jpg


Ok, only two, 60 mile rides, but a few comments.
1. 60 mpg...nice
2. very enjoyable engine growl...just as nice as that of the W800. The CB1100 is smooth as butter, but sometimes, particulary on these country rides, I want a different feel
3. relatedly...I test road an INT650 with S&S aftermarket pipes. Louder, but not better in my opinion. I guess you would lose a few pounds, but I'm glad this bike has stock pipes. Nothing wrong with them at all.
4. Suspension: not as plush as the EX, but on par with the W800 café
5. Riding position: upright, slight lean forward; came with the risers so better for me
6. power: it's a 650, similar to the W800 (776 actual, I think), but the W does have a bit more umph. I was on 45-55 mph roads and hit 75 a few times. I think you would have to plan your pass if moving at 65 or above, yet pulls decently in 5th...I didn't explore a top end speed
7. it has a 6th gear...probably could have done without, but nice that it's there...it lowers rpm by 350-400 at 70mph
8. so much fun to run through the gears...downshift growl is especially pleasing.
9. build quality...as far as I can tell, more than decent.
10. overall fun factor: very high.

If you're ever near an RE dealership, I'd say stop on by. Their bikes are very pleasing to the eye.
 
It's a very pretty bike pdedse. I like that orange. I also like the almost constant presence of Mt Hood in your photos. There's something about having such a powerful and constant landmark. Not quite sure what the word is.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a very pretty bike pdedse. I like that orange. I also like the almost constant presence of Mt Hood in your photos. There's something about having such a powerful and constant landmark. Not quite sure what the word is.
... permanence.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a very pretty bike pdedse. I like that orange. I also like the almost constant presence of Mt Hood in your photos. There's something about having such a powerful and constant landmark. Not quite sure what the word is.
It makes for a pretty vista, but every time I see that lump of snow on rock, for me it's memories of taking my son and his friends skiing / boarding numerous times over the years.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a very pretty bike pdedse. I like that orange. I also like the almost constant presence of Mt Hood in your photos. There's something about having such a powerful and constant landmark. Not quite sure what the word is.
It makes for a pretty vista, but every time I see that lump of snow on rock, for me it's memories of taking my son and his friends skiing / boarding numerous times over the years.
It makes for a pretty vista, but every time I see that lump of snow on rock, for me it's memories of taking my son and his friends skiing / boarding numerous times over the years.
Some of us are not lucky enough to have snow capped mountains nearby to look at.
 
Pdedse, if you bring an out of state car or motorcycle into California, it must have at least 7500 miles on the clock to register.

I guess it’s intended to discourage people from buying new cars out of state and bringing them here, either for emissions or tax revenue purposes.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Pdedse, if you bring an out of state car or motorcycle into California, it must have at least 7500 miles on the clock to register.

I guess it’s intended to discourage people from buying new cars out of state and bringing them here, either for emissions or tax revenue purposes.

Gone, if you don't mind a follow up...an Oregon DMV person told me that OR will accept CA emissions test to renew my registration for the car we loan my daughter while she finishes studying in San Diego. She said that emissions testers are private and charge different amounts. How to go about choosing one? Do they all do the same thing?
 
As far as choosing a smog tester, yes, they all do the same thing. They check the car’s emissions and the data gets sent to the state automatically. They each can charge a different amount, typically between $40-$50 or so.

The price typically increases for cars older than about 2000. For cars newer than that, the guy just does a visual inspection and plugs into the OBD2 port. For cars older, a “sniffer” is stuck into the tailpipe, and in some cases the car has to have its drive wheels put on a roller so that the car can be “driven” under load for a few seconds.

For those older cars that need the extra labor, the price goes up, and many shops only accept the 2000-up cars that just need OBD2 plug in.

To get the best deal, I’d check Yelp in the area. Some smog shops post their prices and offer discounts for doing a Yelp “check in”.

Since your case is a bit different than just renewing CA registration, have your daughter explain to the tech that you need a check to renew OR registration, and have her keep the printout that the tech gives her with the smog check results in case OR needs a copy.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
As far as choosing a smog tester, yes, they all do the same thing. They check the car’s emissions and the data gets sent to the state automatically. They each can charge a different amount, typically between $40-$50 or so.

The price typically increases for cars older than about 2000. For cars newer than that, the guy just does a visual inspection and plugs into the OBD2 port. For cars older, a “sniffer” is stuck into the tailpipe, and in some cases the car has to have its drive wheels put on a roller so that the car can be “driven” under load for a few seconds.

For those older cars that need the extra labor, the price goes up, and many shops only accept the 2000-up cars that just need OBD2 plug in.

To get the best deal, I’d check Yelp in the area. Some smog shops post their prices and offer discounts for doing a Yelp “check in”.

Since your case is a bit different than just renewing CA registration, have your daughter explain to the tech that you need a check to renew OR registration, and have her keep the printout that the tech gives her with the smog check results in case OR needs a copy.
Ok, thanks for the yelp idea and other explanation.
 
Hmm. Poking around the Bike Shed website, that INT650 is available for rent for $60 a day. I think a day's ride on it will be my Christmas present to myself!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Hmm. Poking around the Bike Shed website, that INT650 is available for rent for $60 a day. I think a day's ride on it will be my Christmas present to myself!
That is a great deal to explore a bike you might not like. I'd would do that.
 
Me too! The solid orange tank is the rental bike. I'll book one soon. Who knows...
 
Gone, you make me thinking about trading my white std for a nice INT650 next season....maybe???
Do these match Honda quality and reliability??
 
Back
Top