exhaust discoloration

Southwend

Running like a top
Thread starter
Firstly Merry Christmas all. Happy New Year to boot.
My factory exhaust is beginning to discolor. What are your recommendations for a cleaner. I imagine this is one of the things that titanium does not do? Warm enough here in Va to ride, unfortunately wet enough to float.
Santa stuck a nice Corbin under the tree this year as well, must be a theme!
 
There is a wealth of information on this subject, but I have to assume you're talking about the headers, and not the can itself. See the link below:
CB1100 Forum

I was recently looking into this for my own bike, and anything from 3M Scotch-Brite & WD-40, to something called "Optiglanz" seem to be reputable options.
One commonality among all the options is that it seems to be a lot of work, and you'll be doing it often to maintain the polished surface.
For me, I may just let the headers go about their merry way. I'd rather ride the thing than clean it.
 
My 2014 CB1100 standard also discolored the pipes (4 to 1) to a dark gold color in less than 1000 miles. I'm not impressed with the quality of the pipes at all.
I'm wondering if the 4 into 2 pipes on the Deluxe model would keep their color better?
How about any after market pipes out there that are better quality?
The discoloration happened too quickly, the cleaning product/stainless steel polish doesn't seem like a long term solution.
 
Thread starter
Bob Sdaman_imp said:
There is a wealth of information on this subject, but I have to assume you're talking about the headers, and not the can itself. See the link below:
CB1100 Forum

I was recently looking into this for my own bike, and anything from 3M Scotch-Brite & WD-40, to something called "Optiglanz" seem to be reputable options.
One commonality among all the options is that it seems to be a lot of work, and you'll be doing it often to maintain the polished surface.
For me, I may just let the headers go about their merry way. I'd rather ride the thing than clean it.
Thanks for the link. The Jet-Hot factory is just about an hour away. I am going to pay them a visit an save some shipping costs.
 
I love the gold coloring. I just knock off the mud and dirt and keep riding.
 
Emilio_imp said:
My 2014 CB1100 standard also discolored the pipes (4 to 1) to a dark gold color in less than 1000 miles. I'm not impressed with the quality of the pipes at all.
I'm wondering if the 4 into 2 pipes on the Deluxe model would keep their color better?
How about any after market pipes out there that are better quality?
The discoloration happened too quickly, the cleaning product/stainless steel polish doesn't seem like a long term solution.
The single-wall pipes on the STD will discolor. It's normal. The 4x2 pipes on the EX/DLX are double-wall and shouldn't discolor.
 
My dlx pipes with 18,000 miles look just like they did when I brought it home ( except dirtier lol)
 
My Griso pipes are double walled, and turned a nice tan patina. Same as the CB1100 Std pipes I have. It's not unlike complaining about tread wear on your tires. It's going to happen. :shrug:

Now the CB does have stretch marks on the bends which I assume happened during the bending and I find those unattractive but so far I have attempted to get rid of them. Not sure they will stay gone if I do succeed in polishing them out.
 
kennyw_imp said:
I love the gold coloring. I just knock off the mud and dirt and keep riding.
Not sure why you stop riding to knock off the mud and dirt. :dodgy:
 
Usually because I'm feeding horses. That's also related to where the mud comes from.
 
Then there are times like these where I stop for pictures and try to use the CB as a dirt bike. I'm very lucky I didn't get stuck leaving this spot.

 
And what looked like a half moon drive back to the road ended with a muddy ditch. Luckily there was some gravel under it all to get me out.
 
Back
Top