Chapomis_imp
Road warrior
Crap, didn't know that. I bought a big bottle last fall thinking it would last a while. What happens to it after a year ? Is it still good say at 11 or 13 months ? 

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

I run ethanol in everything I have, never a problem. As far as phase separation is concerned, fuel sits in my shed in the gas can for that long during the winter without any separation, and in my boat from November till April and no issues either. And this has been for close to 2 decades. The only thing that I have noticed is that it has less energy and things are a little herder to start. And I live in Oregon, a wet and damp climate.Scoobynut_imp said:Let's not forget that E-10 gasoline has a maximum shelf life of 3 months. Then the dreaded phase separation starts to set in. So you guys who live up here in the northern climes and have to store your bikes for long stretches in the winter should avoid the stuff like the plague.
Myself, I could give a rat's tail if people think my opinion veers into the political when talking about this stuff. Ethanol mandates exist because of certain political ideologies -- but are we not allowed to analyze or criticize the political genesis of this boondoggle?
My favorite part about the whole thing is that this product, which is supposed to be 'good for the environment' has been proven by numerous studies to actually consume more energy and resources in it's production than conventional gasoline, and cause greater overall emissions to boot!
We must criticize things like this -- either that or continue to have more 'green' madness unquestioningly shoved down our throats regardless of merit or lack thereof...
Have you heard the latest from EPA? Where they are now considering regulating emissions from BBQs? And considering regulating how long you can take a shower in motels? Now there's a bureaucracy that has veered out of control.
Where will it end? Why not fine people for farting too much? It is a methane (greenhouse gas) emission after all. Maybe they will start attaching tail pipe sniffers to our personal tail pipes...
Okay, I'd better check out before this starts to sound like a rant! :celebrate:
Oh, and I should add that where I live we are fortunate in that we can get not only pure premium gas (91 octane) but also regular grade (87 octane) pure gas.
Yep. That's when the EPA started mandating oxygenated fuels in certain metropolitan areas (Phoenix was one of them). Back then, some brands used ethanol as the oxygenate and some used MTBE (an ether compound). MTBE was phased out about 10 years ago, so if you live in an area that has the EPA mandate, you have no choice but to use E10.The ferret_imp said:1990? That was 25 years ago. I didn't know they had E10 ethanol 25 years ago lol
Chapomis I use Stabil randomly thru the summer, and by randomly I mean once or twice a summer 1 oz per gallon to a full tank ( 4 1/2 oz total) just to keep my injectors clean. Don't think it's necessary though.
You are missing a key point. "Made to run on it" is not the same as made to be stored with it during periods of inactivity. In that scenario, it is not a Honda problem, but an ethanol problem which in and of itself has a shelf life issue. And remember, the timer on that shelf life starts ticking long before you pump it into your fuel tank.The ferret_imp said:The question that concerns us as CB 1100 owners is, will it harm our bikes?
According to Mother Honda who built them and sets the guidelines for what we could or should not use in our bikes, we CAN use up to 10% ethanol without doing harm to our bikes. They are made to run on it. Plain and simple, black and white. It's in the manual, and has been for years. It's not an airplane, or a boat or a lawn mower, it's a motorcycle, and Honda designed it to run on this stuff. In some areas you can't buy "real gas" anymore. In some areas you can't even buy premium anymore, even WITH corn squeezins in it. Many stations around here are now 87 octane 10% ethanol only. Luckily that works in my CB 1100.
Whether it gets better or worse gas mileage, whether it costs more or less to produce, whether it's good for the environment, farmers or the governments bottom line could be argued here indefinitely with no resolution. In fact there is no resolution for the general public. There is nothing we can do about it. Certainly ranting on an internet motorcycle forum isn't going to accomplish anything.
I can't say whether I like it or not. I'm not a mechanical engineer. I'm not a chemist, and I'm not an environmental engineer. I get pretty good mileage on my bike. My bike doesn't stumble or miss on the gas I put in it. It's smooth and quiet and quite powerful actually. It works just fine for me. I neither like it or dislike it. I just use it.
I'm thankful I'm not in California or (gasp) Europe where gas is prohibitively expensive. I'm glad I'm not in post war Italy or Japan where there was such a fuel shortage that they ran their motors on pine resin fuel.I'm glad it's not ww2 era U.S. where you got tickets allowing you to buy limited amounts of fuel. I'm glad that it's not the 1970s anymore when you had to fill up on some days if your lic plate had even numbers and other days if your plate had odd numbers and there were lines around the block waiting for gas. I'm thankful I can freely buy SOMETHING, and as much of that something that I can afford, to put in my tank which my motorcycle will run on.
I know I will never see gas at 25 cents a gallon again. Hope to never see it at $5.00 a gallon again, but not betting against that happening, and I'm betting Europeans would throw a party if their gas went DOWN to $5 a gallon.
I know for sure, at a soon to be 65, I'm not going waste mental energy worrying about whether I'm going to get 3% less mileage with ethanol in my bike (according to Chip Beck, the only one here who actually owns a fuel station I think, and who seems to be a pretty knowledgeable fella). So I only get 204 miles out of a tank instead of 210. Are you kidding? I'm just glad to still be riding. :biker:
I have a feeling you will change your mind when the E20 is made manditory by good ole" uncle sam...thats where its heading.The ferret_imp said:Sorry DG, but it sounds like your issues are not that it hurt the motors you ran it in, but the materials the fuel tanks were made out of by the manufacturers of those vehicles. That is simply not an issue on the CB 1100.
I just don't see it being an issue. It hasn't hurt my cars, SUV, van or truck, none of my motorcycles, lawnmowers (with plastic tanks) , weed eaters (with plastic tank) leaf blowers (with plastic tank) my chainsaw (with plastic tank), my snow blower (with plastic tank) or the plastic gas cans I store my gas in. No one I know personally, no family or friends, have had an issue with it in any vehicle I am aware of due to ethanol fuel. If we have been using it since 1990 like they say, that's 25 years with no issues. BTW my son has a Ducati Monster bought new in 2009 and although he's had oil leaks, electrical issues, brake issues, and a locked transmission, he has had no issues related to ethanol fuel, and we've had his tank off several times to replace the battery because Ducati hides it under the tank. I know Ducati has had claims against it for that, but it hasn't been an issue for my son.
I'm not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, all I'm saying is I am not going to waste my energy worrying about it, and will continue to use it (no choice around here, but then again it just hasn't been an issue for me.) until it does become an issue with me. I don't mind if someone else searches out un-oxygenated fuel, and I don't care if they pay 50 cents more per gallon for it (as has been reported). Everyone is free to use whatever they want in their own motorcycle, be it un oxygenated gas, synthetic oil, iridium spark plugs, Fram oil filters, or nitrogen in their tires.
If the AMA thinks they are going to get the government to quit making, endorsing, promoting or selling oxygenated fuels, they are spinning their wheels and wasting their time efforts and money. That ain't going to happen.