Saddlesore 1000: Mission Went South As I Traveled North

specialist8

Running like a top
Thread starter
I wanted to document what is still a proper ride report considering I did complete the Lake Michigan Circle Tour. However, the initial goal was to complete the Saddlesore 1000 endorsed by the Iron Butt Association. For those not familiar, you're to log 1,000 miles in 24 hours and if the trip is documented as req'd by IBA, you get a certificate, pin and license plate holder letting everyone on the road know you probably logged more miles backing up your bike to the curb than most have outright ridden. Regardless of the mechanical failure happening 400mi into the trek, a lot was learned from a trip that had some serious lows and just enough highs to allow me to look back on the trip as a success, but not for the reasons I set out at first to accomplish.

Furthest I've ever ridden prior to this circle tour in one day was to Ferret's bunker in southern Ohio from Chicago, a little over 300mi. I bought the Airhawk Cruiser cushion for this trip knowing full well that after 19k miles on my 2013 stock seat, this upgrade is long overdue. It definitely helped and will be keeping it as a permanent fixture since the alternatives are way pricier than the $98 out the door I got the Airhawk for.

Initial Route Plan:
~17 hours of seat time // 1,012 miles
[url=https://postimg.cc/mhv0F3BS] Thanks to EmptySea for the string of gas stations and overall route considerations that made planning this trip not particularly difficult. I went counterclockwise per Matt's suggestion as I was initially going to do the opposite; anti-counterclockwise. Since time is of the essence, there was not much room for the scenic route but the journey itself provided more than an eyeful at many points.

My 3rd fuel stop logged me at 54.3mph average over a period of nearly six hours with 326 miles covered. I was covering more miles in less time partly due to having a goal set out and the added benefit that my rear was now perched on an Airhawk. Weather was also good and I was feeling confident on my machine.

About a half hour after that 3rd fuel stop, I felt my rear tire feel a bit 'sluggish' so I pulled off in Boyne Falls, MI thinking it was a flat. I put the bike on its center stand and see that the rear break calipers had a firm grasp on the rotor disc, making even a manual turn of the wheel pretty difficult with one hand.

[url=https://postimg.cc/xq9PptnC]
Not feeling deterred, I set out to find the closest auto or bike shop that could remedy this in a way that made my SaddleSore mission still viable. I can't stress how much of an asset EmptySea was in trying to find a place that could assist with a speedy resolution (if possible). I was on schedule with my timeline and maybe I wouldn't finish the trip in 21hrs but that's what the full 24 are for. Not wanting to incur any more damage to my rear brake, I gave up total use of it not knowing that my shifting pattern was instinctually in-sync with how I also used the rear break pedal. So my riding was already off now that I had to remember to shift down when braking even though my right foot was doing nothing. Not sure if others have experienced that, but it was very apparent when I approached a stop sign and realize I'm still in 4th or 5th gear.

After a slew of phone calls and a timeline to meet for both the business hours of what is now the eastern time zone and my own personal 24hr countdown, I came upon Highland Trails in Alanson, MI. I stopped tracking my route once this setback occurred, but I zipped and zopped to about 3 different shops before getting to Highland Trails around 4p EST but I was still optimistic I could complete the trip even if it was up to the minute. The owner there looked to specialize in Goldwings and per my Dad's advice, that is a good start to one's character. I explained the situation and emergency surgery began on the bike in minutes soon after.
[url=https://postimg.cc/8Jdc2RdB] It was found that the calipers had locked onto the disc but more importantly the rear rotor disc was warped to a slight concave due to the uneven grip of the brake pads which would require a replacement when I returned back home. Mechanic freed the brake pads from the disc
and bought me some time by affixing a washer on the rear bolt to give me more clearance so the disc wouldn't be rubbing against as harshly but advised that I should only use rear brake if an emergency (that would come into play because why not haha)

I graciously thanked him and his other mechanic at about 5p EST. Knowing full well that I could complete the 1k mi in 24hrs, I rushed out of there, northwards to the prized Mackinac Bridge as a personal checkpoint I'd get to enjoy for the first time. It was only after the first mile into that departure that I looked down at my instrument cluster and see that the 'check engine' light is on, speedo is hanging at a 0 no matter my actual speed and the odometer/trip meter aren't logging a thing. The speed sensor that is set on the rear wheel must have been detached/deactivated/whatever the flip you want to call it. Not one to assume too much, I didn't want to think that that was the only reason that that 'check engine' light lit up so my concerns grew further. It was about there I felt the lowest about what I set out to do, and now that I'm 400mi away from home, what the hell am I going to do now. My confidence was shot realizing that I have no rear brake, no speedo, and I somehow have to fandangle a verification of my route status with an odometer that stopped logging after 410 miles.

I felt a deep sort of disappointment and agitation since the shop mechanics and owner were out the door just as soon as me since it was the end of their day. I decided it was best to not turn around and go home since I really didn't feel comfortable on this bike now that all these issues arose.

I stayed the night in Pellston, MI not knowing what I'd do the next morning now that my SaddleSore was over. I was torn between going back the way I came (southwards in Michigan) or just tack on the extra 100 or so miles that would take me through the UP, down to WI and back home, thus completing the Circle Tour of Lake Michigan.

Before closing out the day I had to make room for another highlight of this trip: clear night skies with no light pollution. Add in that the Perseids meteor shower was in full effect this time in August and I just so happened to have the Samsung S21 Ultra which takes pictures of the night sky with a level of detail you can't imagine a phone is capable of. Though the actual meteors aren't able to be captured, I did see about 7 shooting stars and one in particular looked like a comet that streaked the night sky in a way I've only seen in movies. It was incredible and it's stuff like this that keep the human spirit going. Here's a few of those pictures i'll share from my night sky viewing in Pellston, MI:


[url=https://postimg.cc/LnktRPDX]

[url=https://postimg.cc/QKTqcnck]

[url=https://postimg.cc/cgjmgNtL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/wy32jBvr]


To be continued..
 
Great report of a great effort, S8.

You made the right choice to stop. I chose not to advise you that your tracking app probably gives you your speed as as a more accurate mileage because I did not want to encourage you to continue. With your bike being in less than optimal working order and knowing that the delay would put you on unfamiliar, darkening 2 lane roads in the deer and critter infested UP, I simply did not want to influence your decision.

Glad you’re safe.
 
It's the detours on your way that make for the best stories. That said, I'm really sorry you broke down so thoroughly.
Obviously, you survived. But I can't wait to learn how :thumbsup::biker::biker:
 
Thanks for the story S8! It's sad to know you didn't make it, but "he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day" The night sky shots are absolutely amazing, makes me realize how much I miss the stars!

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
A great start to an intriguing yarn, specialist8. I’m waiting keenly for more.
 
Fair play to you for setting a big goal and going for it, I know I would not be physically up for it. Great report too. There are untold quotes on failure but Winston Churchill did come up with a good one, albeit with a bit of a slant.

“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” - Winston Churchill
 
There is a guy at work I talked to recently about his ‘iron butt’ trip around Lake MI. He was with a few family members.

That is a loft goal, can’t argue the ‘street cred’ of the patch. It’s also true there are many cool stops & excursions along that route. I’ll even leave out Mackinac Island, takes almost the whole day.

Yes, once one has more serious & annoying mechanical problems it’s time to reevaluate. That’s even more so if safety issues crop up.
 
S8, congrats on your SS1000 attempt. I’m sorry you were unable to complete it but it’s clear you’ll be able to manage one once your bike’s maladies are resolved.

I will share with you that my ‘14 had the exact same problem with the rear brake at about 18,000 miles. The only resolution was a new rotor, new pads, and a thorough caliper rebuild. I had the work done at the dealership and not only was it not inexpensive, but it took two months to get the new rotor from Honda.

The dealer suggested I not rest my toe on the brake lever while riding, because he felt that certainly caused the rotor to overheat and warp, but as a rider of nearly 50 years, I can’t imagine I was doing that. In fact, I rarely used the rear brake on that bike at all. But I do wear size 13 boots and it’s possible I was resting my foot on the lever without realizing it.

Anyway, once you get your bike sorted, I hope you’ll make another attempt at completing your SS1000. I look forward to hearing about it!
 
Thread starter
DAY 1 Driving Stats



DAY 2

My plan the next morning was to see if my bike could get the brake repair it needed instead of living on a prayer for the next 600 miles. I knew this was incredibly unlikely asking for a turnaround like that but my options were to ride back home 500 miles with no rear brake, speedo or odometer, and a check engine light that I still didn't have proof was just the speed sensor inciting it. I even pondered the thought of a ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee which would knock off 200 miles from the return trip. Or even more if I got a tow from Milwaukee back to Chicago, chopping off 84 more miles and making some tow truck driver's day haha

I called Traverse City Honda and they were unable to do any sort of motorcycle repair. Having already called the prior day most auto/powersport shops in the region I knew my options were now at a standstill. If i was to get any miracle repair, it would be on my way back home. I already knew that the shop that half helped/half hindered my situation yesterday would be unable to assist with a full brake repair, so I avoided driving back south since my sights were set on reaching the Mackinac bridge even if I needed the bike towed from there to get back home. At least I'd have something nice to look at while I waited. I told myself that if the bike responded well enough on that 15mile ride and my ability to drive wasn't hindered despite just the tachometer working, I would complete the circle tour as initially set out. It wasn't hard to convince myself that trudging again through the concrete jungles of Indiana/Chicagoland was less than ideal compared to the alternative.

Continuing the counterclockwise loop, I'd be eating up more miles of beautiful roads I've never been on but heard plenty about. I left the quaint hotel around 6:30a and it was drastically colder than most mornings in Chicago (59 degrees). Luckily I brought chaps, have the heated grips and doubled up on the thin gloves but that morning ride on the somber roads of Northern Michigan put me in a mood that could have inspired another SaddleSore attempt if I was devoid of all logic and reason.

Set out for the bridge and the circle tour thereafter, here are some pictures and a video that describe it better than I can write:
[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]

Jump to the 4 min mark if looking for over the bridge footage.



Over The Bridge Achievement Footage (aka taking a load-off to ponder what was a smooth ride and now that I know my bike is adequate, I guess I have no excuse not to get home in one piece)
[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]

[url=https://postimages.org/]


To be further continued..
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Great report of a great effort, S8.

You made the right choice to stop. I chose not to advise you that your tracking app probably gives you your speed as as a more accurate mileage because I did not want to encourage you to continue. With your bike being in less than optimal working order and knowing that the delay would put you on unfamiliar, darkening 2 lane roads in the deer and critter infested UP, I simply did not want to influence your decision.

Glad you’re safe.
I like your style MTC. The two deer that sprang up on Day 2's drive trying to cross the road was far easier to react during the day than night.
LongRanger_imp said:
S8, congrats on your SS1000 attempt. I’m sorry you were unable to complete it but it’s clear you’ll be able to manage one once your bike’s maladies are resolved.

I will share with you that my ‘14 had the exact same problem with the rear brake at about 18,000 miles. The only resolution was a new rotor, new pads, and a thorough caliper rebuild. I had the work done at the dealership and not only was it not inexpensive, but it took two months to get the new rotor from Honda.

The dealer suggested I not rest my toe on the brake lever while riding, because he felt that certainly caused the rotor to overheat and warp, but as a rider of nearly 50 years, I can’t imagine I was doing that. In fact, I rarely used the rear brake on that bike at all. But I do wear size 13 boots and it’s possible I was resting my foot on the lever without realizing it.

Anyway, once you get your bike sorted, I hope you’ll make another attempt at completing your SS1000. I look forward to hearing about it!
Thanks LongRanger, the SaddleSore will be attempted once this rear brake fix is complete. I'm glad you chimed in with similar issue. I was advised that going the route of thorough caliper rebuild, pads and rotor is my best bet if I'm considering keeping this bike long term. The more I read through posts on this forum, the more I realize I have a great machine on my hands and I'm not sure I want to depart with it voluntarily. My mechanic (non-Honda) said the SAME thing about resting my toe on the brake lever. I've always angled my right foot to not have that happen once I got my 1100. I feared any slight pressure, whether involuntary or not would trigger my brake light and I'd hate to be that driver on the road who's riding his brake.

I'm going to private message you about the brake rebuild so we can discuss further without derailing this thread.
InhouseBob, Gold Oxide, Tod.Branko, DRB146, Cormanus, Tev62, Sourdough44, thanks for the encouraging words and responses. I'm always a long-winded talker when describing things I have much interest in. Expect most ride reports to be of this nature haha my earlier ones certainly were too.
 
I love the bridge photos! Sorry for your mechanical issues and hope you get that sorted out soon.
 
It’s an extraordinary bridge.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
S8, congrats on your SS1000 attempt. I’m sorry you were unable to complete it but it’s clear you’ll be able to manage one once your bike’s maladies are resolved.

I will share with you that my ‘14 had the exact same problem with the rear brake at about 18,000 miles. The only resolution was a new rotor, new pads, and a thorough caliper rebuild. I had the work done at the dealership and not only was it not inexpensive, but it took two months to get the new rotor from Honda.

The dealer suggested I not rest my toe on the brake lever while riding, because he felt that certainly caused the rotor to overheat and warp, but as a rider of nearly 50 years, I can’t imagine I was doing that. In fact, I rarely used the rear brake on that bike at all. But I do wear size 13 boots and it’s possible I was resting my foot on the lever without realizing it.

Anyway, once you get your bike sorted, I hope you’ll make another attempt at completing your SS1000. I look forward to hearing about it!
I wouldn't be surprised. I ride three different motorcycles. When riding with my good buddy he often tells me my brake light is on, but only while riding the CB. I do seem to be unconsciously operating, albeit lightly, the rear brake on this bike too. I have a heavy pair of ADV boots which have exacerbated this, I'm sure. I just dug out and rewaxed some old short ankle length boots to bring them back into service for the CB, it needs a finer touch from me it seems! So far so good.
 
There have been a few members here that have ruined rotors by riding the rear brake unknowingly.
 
Thread starter
Popgun, i can see how that's a common problem for the inattentive rider.

Im by far anything close to a skilled rider but i can attest to my rear rotor warping not being related to careless foot drag.
I consciously reposition my right foot on the right peg angled outward a few degrees bc when i first bought the bike, it seemed too easy to trigger if i didn't consciously point foot outwards as i have the past 20k miles. Sounds silly but I'm a fidgety guy so i don't mind the business of repositioning haha

Defer to the route that gives you the most smiles per gallon.
 
specialist8_imp said:
Popgun, i can see how that's a common problem for the inattentive rider.

Im by far anything close to a skilled rider but i can attest to my rear rotor warping not being related to careless foot drag.
I consciously reposition my right foot on the right peg angled outward a few degrees bc when i first bought the bike, it seemed too easy to trigger if i didn't consciously point foot outwards as i have the past 20k miles. Sounds silly but I'm a fidgety guy so i don't mind the business of repositioning haha

Defer to the route that gives you the most smiles per gallon.
It might be possible on the CB1100 the rear rotor is a bit more "constrained" than it could be. My foot didn't come close to the pedal (I avoided using brakes), yet the rear rotor at times could be heard as if it something was dragging. It was never serious enough to be concerned, but it did generate a bit of heat. The rotor and pads appeared normal.
 
I do my foot the same way Specialist.

After going back and reading your first post, where you said you stopped and could see the pads holding the caliper, I'd agree you were not riding the brake. Instead I think something else was wrong. And that was covered in some above posts.

Have you resolved this yet?
 
Back
Top