peterbaron
Road warrior
Good for you!! 

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

My [primal] understanding is silk underwear works best when they are slid off slowly and sensually, especially with the help of another - or several - if you are so lucky. There is no shortage of heat, among a few things.Charlie Bravo_imp said:Went for the silk under-layer test ride yesterday, and they performed flawlessly! (If this is too much info for you, stop reading right now, or continue at your own risk. Not responsible for any damage to your delicate condition) [Insert laughing emoji here.] With the silk garments, wool socks, jeans, a long-sleeve wool pullover shirt, a Schott Perfecto jacket, gauntlet gloves and a full-face helmet, went on a 45 minute ride in the 51 degree mid-afternoon and was toasty warm the whole time.
My [primal] understanding is silk underwear works best when they are slid off slowly and sensually, especially with the help of another - or several - if you are so lucky. There is no shortage of heat, among a few things.GoldOxide_imp said:My [primal] understanding is silk underwear works best when they are slid off slowly and sensually, especially with the help of another - or several - if you are so lucky. There is no shortage of heat, among a few things.Charlie Bravo_imp said:Went for the silk under-layer test ride yesterday, and they performed flawlessly! (If this is too much info for you, stop reading right now, or continue at your own risk. Not responsible for any damage to your delicate condition) [Insert laughing emoji here.] With the silk garments, wool socks, jeans, a long-sleeve wool pullover shirt, a Schott Perfecto jacket, gauntlet gloves and a full-face helmet, went on a 45 minute ride in the 51 degree mid-afternoon and was toasty warm the whole time.
That sounds great. Might want to wear something over them, though.Nachodaddy_imp said:That sounds great. Might want to wear something over them, though.Charlie Bravo_imp said:For Christmas my sweetie gave me a set of silk under garments, similar to a long-sleeved T-shirt and sweat pants. Going to be 50 degrees and sunny today, so I'm gonna test 'em out this afternoon.
pdedse_imp said:




The "Weber"! Haha...It does have that "pizza-delivery / pool-cleaner-guy" look that I see frequently in other countries. : ) But it's highly functional, can be locked, and keeps your helmet dry. Sometimes function must win out over form. An alternative would be a soft tail bag mounted to the seat, as opposed to the rear rack--they look low profile, but these are generally not lockable. I use my soft tail bag on the CB's seat, but I mainly use it to pick up groceries on the way home from work so I don't leave things of value inside the bag while it's parked for long.Gone in 60_imp said:I broke down and recommissioned "The Weber", my inauspicious name for my Givi V40 box. It looks like a mid-sized barbecue on the back of my bike, doesn't it. Not flattering, but what box is. I've been using my E36, a smaller, less obtrusive box for the daily commute, which does not have the capacity for a helmet.
However, for winter early morning and evening commutes and the after-work errands and meetups with Mrs. or friends, leaving a helmet locked to the handlebars means coming back to a cold lid, damp with dew. Plus, I'm carrying an extra pair of thick gloves, neck gaiters and other keep-warm bits. The V40 is the smallest Monokey box that can secure a helmet, and carry the extra stuff. Not pretty, but functional.
I ordered the above and they arrived the other day. Some photos:pdedse_imp said:pdedse_imp said:
I ordered the above and they arrived the other day. Some photos:
The heating grips wrap around your mc grips and velco together.
The wiring instructions are minimal
If not legible, says "the red wire is connected to the positive output wire of the electric door look (ACC) and the black wire is connected to any negative electrode on the motorcycle" .... Positive output wire of the electric door lock? What?!
The fuse and wiring ends.
I learned about this product while on a Suzuki DR650 forum, so different bike. I asked there about connections, and if one could wire into a battery tender. Someone suggested solder/heatshrink or positap an [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BL2TTVNN?linkCode=ogi&th=1&tag=sofferscom1-20]SAE connector like these:
[url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BL2TTVNN?linkCode=ogi&th=1&tag=sofferscom1-20]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BL2TTVNN?linkCode=ogi&th=1&tag=sofferscom1-20
And then others expressed concern about amps / watts "discrepancies" between battery tender and heated grips 5amp fuse. Electronics being somewhat of a black hole for me, I figured I'd ask here as well, mainly for the CB1100.
Other info: the heated grips have 3 temp settings, and the power draw is:
Hight Temperature(Switch Red light) 25w
Medium Temperature(Blue Light) 20W
Low Temperature(Green Light)15W
So questions. 1) w/out doing anything to the wiring (using the spade connectors), can I simply connect directly to battery terminals? Will there be a constant draw on the battery if I do? There is an on/off button/switch that's supposed to be fixed on the handlebars for easy temp control access.
2) what I'd rather do is add the SAE connectors to the existing wires of the heating unit. a) that would allow me to use the same grips on different bikes b) by disconnecting at the battery tender, would eliminate any draw on the battery.
Last night I wired them directly to the battery terminals just to test them out, and the mid temp setting was nice and warm in two minutes. Max temp was pretty hot.
I have grip puppies on the CB and my W800. These thicken the grip and the velcro wrap-around heating element for this product isn't quite enough for it to velcro together. But they would have enough reach for stock grips. I'll have to secure them, maybe with rubber bands wrapped around them.
Any feedback appreciated.

Gone in 60 said:This post was a good reminder - I just ordered the grip warmers Pdedse referenced a while back. I wired 12v to the cockpit area on Superbird with the intention of adding warmers for our "cold mornings".
peterbaron said:NO winter riding this year, snow almost every day and daily temp around -10*C/14F.
Today at night -24*C/-12F....brrrrrr
I know, our Ferret is a winter champion!![]()
the Ferret said:Guy from Mn just turned in a -22f in the ST-Owners Cold Ride Contest this morning that I've been playing for a the last 15 years. Coldest I remember seeing turned in was a -25 by a guy from ND maybe 6 or 7 years ago.