CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day, another tamale joint.

9edb70b7145fec726e488f6c944bb9ef.jpg
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
what is that weird looking thing on the left Sea. Is that a Tamale?
Yes, some places do not make their tamales cylindrical. This one was almost square and flat, so I folded it in half before I took the pic. It tasted pretty good, but was a little different than I've been used to.
 
The ferret_imp said:
what is that weird looking thing on the left Sea. Is that a Tamale?
Isn't that a banana leaf used for the tamale? Corn husk is used for mid to north Mexico, and banana leaf for tropical, southern Mexico and into Central America.
 
That is indeed a banana leaf. Most places here in NC use banana leaves. Also, I would kill to have a dedicated tamale shop near me. I would most certainly weigh more. There are a couple good tamales around you just have to look.
 
do you eat the banana leaf or corn husk or is that just the vessel for cooking something inside, that you open and eat the guts out of? I've seen corn husk tamales I think. Never tried one though (and never will)
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
That is indeed a banana leaf. Most places here in NC use banana leaves. Also, I would kill to have a dedicated tamale shop near me. I would most certainly weigh more. There are a couple good tamales around you just have to look.
Interesting...there are a lot of Costa Rican who settle in N.Carolina (and N.Jersey)...they use banana leaves. My wife is from CR and every Christmas when we're there, it's tamales for the whole month.
The ferret_imp said:
do you eat the banana leaf or corn husk or is that just the vessel for cooking something inside, that you open and eat the guts out of? I've seen corn husk tamales I think. Never tried one though (and never will)
Right, the leaf is just the vessel.
 
I’m quite fortunate to have several good friends from Central America who delight in cooking for me, I enthusiastically show my appreciation for their efforts.
One weekend I assisted in making tamales, we used both banana leaves and corn husks to wrap identical fillings.
After much field research (poor me) we decided the banana leaf tamales were better, that night.
I just can’t eat at “Mexican” restaurants any more but I’m getting dang good on several salsas and street tacos.
This is a photo challenge I’m going to enjoy.
 
I finally get to participate! YaY

New look as of 6-14-2018; Same phenomenal bike :)

c8f202d96f6fb654e99d676353024f62.jpg
 
Cool dUh

and a road comet with matching stripes and new seat... How about that. You've been a busy boy!
 
I love my CB. I did ride the FJR this evening, but rode the CB 52 miles today and the FJR only 37. Love my CB.
 
I searched all over the appropriate side of town before the deadline ... could not find one ... and I live in Texas, mind you!

This place had just about everything else.

I do not like the Cone of Shame ... :(



So what's the challenge for July? Putting in a lot of miles Sunday so I should be able to find "it" ...
 
zbillster_imp said:
I searched all over the appropriate side of town before the deadline ... could not find one ... and I live in Texas, mind you!

This place had just about everything else.

I do not like the Cone of Shame ... :(



So what's the challenge for July? Putting in a lot of miles Sunday so I should be able to find "it" ...
I'll post the July challenge tomorrow night. I guarantee it will be easier than tamales (or windmills) lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top