CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
zbillster_imp said:
Took this yesterday ... you can just make out the "Welcome to Bowie" in the background, near the bottom of the flagpole ...
Seriously, how can anyone beat that photo?

That is awesome.
 
Banned_imp said:
zbillster_imp said:
Took this yesterday ... you can just make out the "Welcome to Bowie" in the background, near the bottom of the flagpole ...
Seriously, how can anyone beat that photo?

That is awesome.
Seriously, how can anyone beat that photo?

That is awesome.
Eh, I could have staged it better ... I didn't get the topic of this week's contest till I got home this afternoon ... had several missed opportunities from this weekend's road trip.
 
Thread starter
The great thing about this thread is that there's no limit to the number of submissions a person can post. RockHop came up with a gem of a topic for July...Can't wait to see the pictures from towns all over the world. :)
 
Every time I buy a vehicle, my first stop is for a photo in Van Alstyne and then east on 121 (the small one, not the big one) to Tom Bean/Whitewright.

 
Since I can't win this month, I'm going to cheat. A bit. Here's a couple from a recent ride. This Pomona is an almost non-existent town just north of the New South Wales-Victorian border. I lived in (slightly) larger town of the same name 1800+ kms away in the Sunshine Coast hinterland in Queensland.
3759eb810ceb84a136d0139f9048daac.jpg


Coombah is not really a town but a roadhouse about midway between Broken Hill and Mildura in far western New South Wales.
5f4123a64e03ee102eaed1a5b7c36eae.jpg
 
I can't compete with Bowie, Texas . . .

But I did go for a ride today with my camera and stopped at three small towns in Washington County, Pennsylvania.

First was Cokeburg, a tiny place with a lovely overhead sign. Trouble was that I had difficulty framing the picture so that the town name could be read. Yes, I could have parked (on the road, unfortunately; no pulloff) on the other side, but that would have obstructed traffic more than I was already doing. At least where I was parked, I was not interfering with Cokeburg traffic pulling out onto the main road.



Next I dropped down to the Monongahela River near Fredericktown. On Route 88 there is a sign showing the road to Vestaburg.



On the way back up Route 88, I stopped in West Brownsville to shoot their sign. Lovely church behind it. And the old Route 40 bridge is nearby and leads to (are you ready?) Brownsville.

 
No signs at the city limits, but Slaton TX has a large mural just off the town square. The railroad history is prominent with the train and the Harvey House. Locomotive 1809, the "Cotton Special", delivered cotton from the area to the Gulf ports in Houston and is on display in the town square.

<click to enlarge>
a46169c8ae201d1af63f0c45b22f9517.jpg
 
RockHop_imp said:
No signs at the city limits, but Slaton TX has a large mural just off the town square. The railroad history is prominent with the train and the Harvey House. Locomotive 1809, the "Cotton Special", delivered cotton from the area to the Gulf ports in Houston and is on display in the town square.

<click to enlarge>
a46169c8ae201d1af63f0c45b22f9517.jpg
that is a fine mural rockhop and zbillster , opens up real nice and a great piece of history .
I picked cotton during my summers in Northern Alabama as a child and was paid 25 cents a bag [ huge bag for a kid ].
you got fired if you did not pick a plant clean and required a 2nd picker to pick it again. was fun and good money for a child my age 8 - 10 YO
 
noroomtomove_imp said:
One month late, apologies for the illegitimate parking but so it be to get the photo.

Regards NRTM
Aaaaaah, white is always nice = beautiful bike :thumbsup:
 
Went on a "ride out early to miss the afternoon thunderstorms that never came so let's keep riding" ride. Here are today's finds ...

First off, this is the UGLIEST welcome/city hall I have ever seen ... Tom Bean, Texas ... also a speed trap:

981e01a55d03e251f54c4885dcaea352.jpg


Then, Colbert, Oklahoma tries to represent ... in a not-so-impressive way:

f8921c6d3daef141da4eb1c915d6015b.jpg


Luckily, Denison, Texas goes all out ... same scale as the Bowie knife?

adb30efde8e7e1d3c9a0cee573e61eaf.jpg
 
Great shots and it looks like it was a good ride, ZBill.
I'm looking at your profile photo. Looks interesting and like there might be a story. Anything there?
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Great shots and it looks like it was a good ride, ZBill.
I'm looking at your profile photo. Looks interesting and like there might be a story. Anything there?
So that's me (right, on my Batavus moped) and one of my older brothers (left, on his CB550 he bought in England while he was in the USAF and had it shipped back) circa 1978.

79afb0a6151365d1233ff9f9336f9482.jpg


And me on his CB550 ... a la carte ...

89ea271b7a1ed60d39326a163d3a9604.jpg


The CB550 would be stolen while he was grocery-shopping by two teenage runaways from a military school ... the police caught up to them ... they gave chase ... and wrecked it. He hobbled it back together, but he didn't use it much after that.

The Batavus ceased to start after a few weeks (magneto got shorted out when a wire was pinched reattaching the side cover) and another brother with electrical skills bought it off me and used it for a while.

I would later graduate to a Motobecane moped (and from high school), which lasted for 10,000 miles till it died of malpractice (a shop wired it backwards and blew out the electrics). Then I would put 40,000 miles on a CT90 while I finished college.

In later years, a Honda Twinstar (with rusty gas tank), a CBR250R and then my current CB1100. :thumbsup:
peterbaron_imp said:
noroomtomove_imp said:
One month late, apologies for the illegitimate parking but so it be to get the photo.

Regards NRTM
Aaaaaah, white is always nice = beautiful bike :thumbsup:
I love the white ones ... perhaps a secret desire to pull people over? :P
 
zbillster_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Great shots and it looks like it was a good ride, ZBill.
I'm looking at your profile photo. Looks interesting and like there might be a story. Anything there?
So that's me (right, on my Batavus moped) and one of my older brothers (left, on his CB550 he bought in England while he was in the USAF and had it shipped back) circa 1978.

79afb0a6151365d1233ff9f9336f9482.jpg


And me on his CB550 ... a la carte ...

89ea271b7a1ed60d39326a163d3a9604.jpg


The CB550 would be stolen while he was grocery-shopping by two teenage runaways from a military school ... the police caught up to them ... they gave chase ... and wrecked it. He hobbled it back together, but he didn't use it much after that.

The Batavus ceased to start after a few weeks (magneto got shorted out when a wire was pinched reattaching the side cover) and another brother with electrical skills bought it off me and used it for a while.

I would later graduate to a Motobecane moped (and from high school), which lasted for 10,000 miles till it died of malpractice (a shop wired it backwards and blew out the electrics). Then I would put 40,000 miles on a CT90 while I finished college.

In later years, a Honda Twinstar (with rusty gas tank), a CBR250R and then my current CB1100. :thumbsup:
peterbaron_imp said:
noroomtomove_imp said:
One month late, apologies for the illegitimate parking but so it be to get the photo.

Regards NRTM
Aaaaaah, white is always nice = beautiful bike :thumbsup:
I love the white ones ... perhaps a secret desire to pull people over? :P
man....i can't fathom how your brother didn't have one of those scumbags duct taped to a chair pulling out fingernails until they told him how they were going to buy a new one for him...I have no chill about things like that.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
zbillster_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Great shots and it looks like it was a good ride, ZBill.
I'm looking at your profile photo. Looks interesting and like there might be a story. Anything there?
So that's me (right, on my Batavus moped) and one of my older brothers (left, on his CB550 he bought in England while he was in the USAF and had it shipped back) circa 1978.

79afb0a6151365d1233ff9f9336f9482.jpg


And me on his CB550 ... a la carte ...

89ea271b7a1ed60d39326a163d3a9604.jpg


The CB550 would be stolen while he was grocery-shopping by two teenage runaways from a military school ... the police caught up to them ... they gave chase ... and wrecked it. He hobbled it back together, but he didn't use it much after that.

The Batavus ceased to start after a few weeks (magneto got shorted out when a wire was pinched reattaching the side cover) and another brother with electrical skills bought it off me and used it for a while.

I would later graduate to a Motobecane moped (and from high school), which lasted for 10,000 miles till it died of malpractice (a shop wired it backwards and blew out the electrics). Then I would put 40,000 miles on a CT90 while I finished college.

In later years, a Honda Twinstar (with rusty gas tank), a CBR250R and then my current CB1100. :thumbsup:
peterbaron_imp said:
noroomtomove_imp said:
One month late, apologies for the illegitimate parking but so it be to get the photo.

Regards NRTM
Aaaaaah, white is always nice = beautiful bike :thumbsup:
I love the white ones ... perhaps a secret desire to pull people over? :P
man....i can't fathom how your brother didn't have one of those scumbags duct taped to a chair pulling out fingernails until they told him how they were going to buy a new one for him...I have no chill about things like that.
man....i can't fathom how your brother didn't have one of those scumbags duct taped to a chair pulling out fingernails until they told him how they were going to buy a new one for him...I have no chill about things like that.
He had a lawyer involved to sue with great confidence for a strong settlement ... but then the court let the juveniles leave the state and other complications ... hands were thrown up in the air. :dodgy:
 
zbillster Love seeing the old pics. If we do not have a thread of Members on their bikes day's gone by we sure need one ......... Hint , Hint
 
use2b_imp said:
zbillster Love seeing the old pics. If we do not have a thread of Members on their bikes day's gone by we sure need one ......... Hint , Hint
Good subtle hint. :thumbsup:

My parents got in the act as well ... I am now two years older than my dad in this photo ...

8272da7f07851485ce581b303c7b742d.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top