Brake reservoir screw head issue

I have a "damaged screw remover set", cheap enough to buy and effective. Only used it once or twice but it did the job. You just need a reversing drill, preferably with speed control.

 
Tev62_imp said:
I have a "damaged screw remover set", cheap enough to buy and effective. Only used it once or twice but it did the job. You just need a reversing drill, preferably with speed control.
Definitely. This tool has saved much labour in efforts past.
 
Thread starter
Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I should be getting the replacement screws by the weekend so early next week would be my next attempt.:-/

I don't want to try the impact option or the drill and extract option unless they are final resorts. If it ever gets to this point, with my luck, I'm guessing I'll be forced to replace the reservoir.:(

max_imp said:
I hope that option 1 above works out - the other screw comes out easily. Does anyone know if the lid has a lip or whether the mating surfaces are flat? I'm wondering how much I should try and rotate the lid. Looking at the part diagram I'm guessing the diaphragms would limit the amount I could rotate the lid.
 
Says the man who just sold 3 of them. Is it true, John, that they went because you couldn’t get the screws out of the reservoirs?

satchit, the same thing happened to me. I used an easy out, but I wish I’d some of these other tricks to try first.
 
This is an obnoxious problem with the Honda brake fluid reservoirs. At this point, destructive measures are warranted. I would consider the screw, the cap, and the gasket / bladder to be expendable. Use a Dremel to cut a nice, fat slot and don't worry about damaging the cover or gasket. Once the offending screw is out, dispose of it and the destroyed cover. Replace the cover with a new one, as well as a gasket if necessary. Upon re-assembly with new parts, apply anti-seize to the screw threads and head, or better yet replace the screws with stainless steel socket-head types.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Says the man who just sold 3 of them. Is it true, John, that they went because you couldn’t get the screws out of the reservoirs?

satchit, the same thing happened to me. I used an easy out, but I wish I’d some of these other tricks to try first.
No George , I did not sell them because of the screws in the reservoirs , I sold them because loss of tire pressure......
 
Drill the head off. Then you can remove the cover and twist the rest of the screw out with pliers or vice grips.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Says the man who just sold 3 of them. Is it true, John, that they went because you couldn’t get the screws out of the reservoirs?

satchit, the same thing happened to me. I used an easy out, but I wish I’d some of these other tricks to try first.
No George , I did not sell them because of the screws in the reservoirs , I sold them because loss of tire pressure......
:rofl:
 
Houtman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Says the man who just sold 3 of them. Is it true, John, that they went because you couldn’t get the screws out of the reservoirs?

satchit, the same thing happened to me. I used an easy out, but I wish I’d some of these other tricks to try first.
No George , I did not sell them because of the screws in the reservoirs , I sold them because loss of tire pressure......
No George , I did not sell them because of the screws in the reservoirs , I sold them because loss of tire pressure......
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
Well, I tried multiple options...
Removed the other screw and tried wiggling the cover - No movement.
Tried the rubber band - Gouged out more.
Tried hammering in a slotted screwdriver and twisting - It looked like the small screwdriver would break.

I took it to a local bike shop here (incidentally the same guys who last bled the brakes in 2018). The mechanic wasn't confident he could drill it without damaging the threads. The suggestion was to get a replacement reservoir just in case this one gets damaged.

Does anyone know if either 45510-MGH-641 or 45510-MGH-305 would work? Revzilla says that 305 won't fit a 2014. I'm hoping I can find a used assembly.
 
I would still FIRST try the left handed screw removal tool before spending money on a new/used reservoir , start with the smallest first and than go up if needed . The set will come handy for other screwy problems.
 
OK, kinda late to the party, but people have had good luck with with a fine grit on the head of the driver. Valve grinding compound. Some toothpastes. Bigger the screw head, coarser the grit you can use.

Scraping some grit off a 400 sandpaper may be a better choice for you in your case.

The sharp little rocks will lock in between the driver and the screw head.
 
Not sure what your mechanic was thinking about, but if you drill the head out you will not touch the threads. it will just take the top of the screw off and leave the shank in place which you remove after you take the reservoir top off.
 
lash_imp said:
Not sure what your mechanic was thinking about, but if you drill the head out you will not touch the threads. it will just take the top of the screw off and leave the shank in place which you remove after you take the reservoir top off.
^^ +1^^ standard repair in case like this...
 
Back
Top