Advice sought please

Bokobob_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hello. I am thinking of buying a left over new 2014 cb1100 standard for a huge discount from list price. I am most satisfied with the quoted price...However, aside from that, I am wondering about comfort seeing as how I am 79 years old, and although very spry for my age (and I have several bikes). I rode the bike in question and it was beyond wonderful. I only rode if for 20 minutes and it felt comfy...I am wanting to get feedback on those who have ridden it longer with a STOCK seat.

My question is, what is your opinion of comfort on this stock seat for a ride of an hour or more?

Thank you for your opinions.

Bob
 
Everyone seems to rate seats differently according to their perceptions. The seat on my 2013 felt a little uncomfortable after an hour or so but soon "broke in" (or maybe I did) and now I can do a 400 mile day with fuel stops being frequent enough to keep me comfy. The stock seat is okay IMO but there are better options out there like a Corbin replacement. I'll stay with the stock seat for now. Junior to you at 67 years.
 
Bokobob_imp said:
Hello. I am thinking of buying a left over new 2014 cb1100 standard for a huge discount from list price. I am most satisfied with the quoted price...However, aside from that, I am wondering about comfort seeing as how I am 79 years old, and although very spry for my age (and I have several bikes). I rode the bike in question and it was beyond wonderful. I only rode if for 20 minutes and it felt comfy...I am wanting to get feedback on those who have ridden it longer with a STOCK seat.

My question is, what is your opinion of comfort on this stock seat for a ride of an hour or more?

Thank you for your opinions.

Bob
Wow, Bob, very impressive!! Hope to be able to say the same when I reach your age in say another 23 years!

If you do decide to get this bike, another option to consider is getting a CB1100 DLX stock seat - thicker to begin with and plenty comfortable for me (230 lbs).
fritz
 
Bokobob_imp said:
Hello. I am thinking of buying a left over new 2014 cb1100 standard for a huge discount from list price. I am most satisfied with the quoted price...However, aside from that, I am wondering about comfort seeing as how I am 79 years old, and although very spry for my age (and I have several bikes). I rode the bike in question and it was beyond wonderful. I only rode if for 20 minutes and it felt comfy...I am wanting to get feedback on those who have ridden it longer with a STOCK seat.

My question is, what is your opinion of comfort on this stock seat for a ride of an hour or more?

Thank you for your opinions.

Bob

For a stock seat, the 2014 seat isn't bad for a person under 200 lbs. Like all fairly firm seats it does take time to break in. I've got 400 miles on mine now, it's getting better. However I'm considering a Corbin. Once you break in a Corbin, you can ride all day on one and your seat never even enters your mind.
 
Rode with stock seat quite a bit with little to complain about. I had an Alaskan Sheepskin in the garage and used it occasionally with good results also, used it when I was going riding and not running errands.
Stock seat good though I did enjoy stretching my legs at gas stops.
You can get used to anything or convince yourself that anything can be improved, your choice.
 
Bob, first off Howdy :hello: and welcome to the forum.

Secondly I think it's super that you are still riding at 79. Hope I am when I get there.

Third it's really like Redbirds said, some people say they can't ride 50 miles on the stock seat, others have no issue and can do 10 hour days on it (I am in that group).

Fourth let me ask this, you say you have several other bikes. Have you bought custom seats for those? If you are riding those with the stock seats I imagine you will find the stock seat on the CB just fine. If you have replaced all the other stock seats, I imagine you are going to want to change this one too.

In any case, keep us informed about what you do, and above all ride safe :biker:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Bob, first off Howdy :hello: and welcome to the forum.

Secondly I think it's super that you are still riding at 79. Hope I am when I get there.

Third it's really like Redbirds said, some people say they can't ride 50 miles on the stock seat, others have no issue and can do 10 hour days on it (I am in that group).

Fourth let me ask this, you say you have several other bikes. Have you bought custom seats for those? If you are riding those with the stock seats I imagine you will find the stock seat on the CB just fine. If you have replaced all the other stock seats, I imagine you are going to want to change this one too.

In any case, keep us informed about what you do, and above all ride safe :biker:
))))))))))))))))))))
Many thanks...wonderful comments. (I will decide during the week (if the Honda rebate of $1000 stay open.)..

I have had aftermarket seats: Mustang and corbin...mixed results. Mustang was a "forward slider" on my former 08 Kawa 1600 nomad, but excellent on my 94 Honda magna V4. Corbin was even better on my magna.

BTW, I have also figured out a way to install kuryakyn highly- adjustable pets with the clamps attaching to the fframe of the CB1100 somewhat forward of the brake lever on the right side...Change of posture on highway. Stretch those legs..

I have five other bikes. Four cruisers, none bigger than 600 pounds wet, plus a showroom condition BMW k75 standard.

I will update with my decision in due course of time..

Grace + Peace,
Bob............ps.....aside from taking curves slowly as i am afraid of a spill from gravel, I ride just like anybody of any age, aside from kids on crotch rockets.
 
At first I found the stock seat quite uncomfortable. As in 15 minutes and I was squirming. It has broken in a little bit after 1k miles and I have taken a couple 2 hr trips and can manage.

On my other bike I felt the same way but have no problems with the seat now (though I use a Corbin Smuggler most of the time).

I still may switch up the seat over the winter but I'm giving it a little more time.
 
Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
At first I found the stock seat quite uncomfortable. As in 15 minutes and I was squirming. It has broken in a little bit after 1k miles and I have taken a couple 2 hr trips and can manage.

On my other bike I felt the same way but have no problems with the seat now (though I use a Corbin Smuggler most of the time).

I still may switch up the seat over the winter but I'm giving it a little more time.
Thank you for your comment.
Bob
OVER AND OUT...
just checked on insurance and it is almost as much as for my car plus the five other bikes....Nearly Around $900 a year for coverage including $1000 deductible on colliison and also on Comp, plus liability and medical..No sense shoppign around as i see it..

Again thanks for your collective help. Will have to get my occasional speed rush from my V4 Magna power cruiser..it goes like a scalded dog too.

All regards,
Bob
 
Thread starter
Thanks for suggestion. I don't think I'll shop around..even $300 for full coverage for a year would be about as high as I'd go and that is about $600 less than I was quoted..They actually used the vin number for the estimate plus the full description of the bike.

Would have to have collision..no way am I going to chance not having that ..$30 a month for comprehensive sound high to me...For mine, comp with $1000 deductible was $75 or so for the whole year.

Bob
 
Hi Bob, thanks for making me feel young at 68:rofl: I can ride for hours on my 2013 without any unusual discomfort with the factory seat.

Oh and BTW, welcome, good to see you here:thumbsup:

ralph
 
Bokobob_imp said:
Thanks for suggestion. I don't think I'll shop around..even $300 for full coverage for a year would be about as high as I'd go and that is about $600 less than I was quoted..They actually used the vin number for the estimate plus the full description of the bike.

Would have to have collision..no way am I going to chance not having that ..$30 a month for comprehensive sound high to me...For mine, comp with $1000 deductible was $75 or so for the whole year.

Bob
My thoughts are that your insurance company is confusing the CB with one of the "crotch rockets" in the CBR family.

Shop around as suggested, or send a photo of the bike and ask to talk to a rep who really understands the difference between bike models. (Hint: get a photo from this forum of a CB equipped with saddle bags, top box and large windshield. That will help convince them that it is not a sport bike.)
 
Bokobob_imp said:
Hello. I am thinking of buying a left over new 2014 cb1100 standard for a huge discount from list price. I am most satisfied with the quoted price...However, aside from that, I am wondering about comfort seeing as how I am 79 years old, and although very spry for my age (and I have several bikes). I rode the bike in question and it was beyond wonderful. I only rode if for 20 minutes and it felt comfy...I am wanting to get feedback on those who have ridden it longer with a STOCK seat.

My question is, what is your opinion of comfort on this stock seat for a ride of an hour or more?

Thank you for your opinions.

Bob
I have the same bike and have used both the stock seat and a Corbin gunslinger seat.
The stock seat sits on a shelf in my garage.

I alternated the two seats at various times and this is my opinion: The stock Honda seat is actually nice for short local rides. It's very plush, but any rides over 30-60 minutes and I start to feel discomfort on the stock seat. The Corbin seat, while taking a while to break in and being stiffer, is much more comfortable for longer rides in my opinion.

Everyone's behind is different and while I'm sure there's probably a few people on here that love the stock seat, I just couldn't get into it.

Hope this helps.

PS: Buy the bike. You'll love it. I put over 4,000 miles on mine since mid July and it just keeps getting better.
 
The stock seat is one of the most comfortable stock seats I've seen. I upgraded to a custom seat though. I was good for a hour, maybe two. The new seat I've spend 9 long hours on without much trouble. Not a Russell Day Long, but doable.

That said, a Moto Guzzi rider, 80 years old, rides all over the West on a Griso and V7 (Griso has one of the worst stock seats I've seen) using the stock seat, and no windscreen. He thinks they are fine. Oiy!!

All bums are created differently. If you need a "better" seat, I think you are ahead of the game by finding a local seat guy to fab up something for you. Being local you can test the foam shape before it's covered. Then you have a truly custom seat. In the mean time, if you get it, just ride it; you may find that the stock seat will suit your needs just fine. It's good enough that I think a lot of folks really don't need to upgrade.
 
Thread starter
I BOUGHT THE BIKE. Got the insurance price issues sorted out and traded in my just-purchased 2007 Yama Vstar 650 Classic cruiser for breakeven money of what I paid for it, almost to the penny...Also traded in my 04 Honda Rebel 250 for about $200 less than I could have sold it off my driveway. That leaves 3 bikes I will keep plus the new one. I have all the papers signed and because it is raining today, I'll take my trade ins over when the weather breaks and get the CB 1100 home...Probably tomorrow afternoon...Bike is all paid for and insurance paid up for a year.

What I will have after the dust settles:
2104 Honda CB1100 standard.
1994 Honda Magna V4 power cruiser.
1995 BMW K75 standard touring bike.
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500.
(If I already said which bikes I will have left, please remember I am pushing 80.)
Am I excited?
Is the Pope Catholic?
Grace + Peace and many thanks for advice, well wishes and kudos for riding at my age.
If I didn't know how old I am, I'd think I was about 55. Not kidding.
Bob
 
Is the Pope Catholic? Last I checked ;)

Congrats of the highest order. I really think you are going to love this bike. It's a dandy

Hey we finally got someone older than Rocky on the forum :banana:

(Btw Rocky is a cool guy too! You two are my heroes.)
 
Bokobob_imp said:
I BOUGHT THE BIKE. Got the insurance price issues sorted out and traded in my just-purchased 2007 Yama Vstar 650 Classic cruiser for breakeven money of what I paid for it, almost to the penny...Also traded in my 04 Honda Rebel 250 for about $200 less than I could have sold it off my driveway. That leaves 3 bikes I will keep plus the new one. I have all the papers signed and because it is raining today, I'll take my trade ins over when the weather breaks and get the CB 1100 home...Probably tomorrow afternoon...Bike is all paid for and insurance paid up for a year.

What I will have after the dust settles:
2104 Honda CB1100 standard.
1994 Honda Magna V4 power cruiser.
1995 BMW K75 standard touring bike.
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500.
(If I already said which bikes I will have left, please remember I am pushing 80.)
Am I excited?
Is the Pope Catholic?
Grace + Peace and many thanks for advice, well wishes and kudos for riding at my age.
If I didn't know how old I am, I'd think I was about 55. Not kidding.
Bob
Your a very Blessed Man Bob:thumbsup:

ralph
 
Thread starter
How nice. Thank you all. Please know that I am blessed. My wife of 60 years as of last week is profoundly handicapped from a stroke, cannot speak, is dizzy 24/7 in any waking moments, is paralyzed on one side and cannot get out of bed and yet is cheerful as a senior in high school whose love object just asked her to go steady..Yes, she is still in love, and of course, I too.
I visit with her every day twice, and I hire ladies to assist her with dinner 6 night a week. She indicates she has a happy life, likes her room, like her aides and nurses, roommate, and is not mad at God for being sick all these years...when I awaken in the morning, I feel like there I wind blowing into my sails and I just go over to assist her with breakfast. Then I go back for lunch. She never complains although she does indicate with her good hand making a circle in front of her face that she is dizzy when I show up. My goal is to out live her so she does not get lonely..we are high school sweethearts. She is extremely alert. She cannot write. I just wanted to share that info with you all. Oh, she was stricken on March 23, 2005..It's been a long, long time.

Again, thank you for your welcome.

Bob
 
Back
Top