My Perfect Motorcycle Jeans: Roadskin Taranis Elite

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
All my life, I have worn Levi 501, button-fly jeans. They fit me in all ways, including a silly delight I have buttoning them up as opposed to using a zipper like a grown-ass man should. :)

For all their virtues, abrasion protection during a motorcycle accident is minimal with Levi’s. The challenge for me was to find a pair of motorcycle jeans that were equally comfortable, gave me the same quirky delight when I put them on, allowed me to be comfortable entering a coffee house wearing them, and would protect me from nasty road rash. If I could also score some impact protection for my hips and knees, that would be great bonus. Finally, I did not want to be turned into a walking billboard because of excessive branding.

Roadskin was the answer for me. From their website:

“A UK family ran company, selling CE approved single layer and fully lined amoured motorcycle jeans with Kevlar. Our award-winning, classic biker gear is comfortable enough to be worn throughout the day but engineered to save your skin.”

Motorcycle jeans and armoured motorbike protective clothing

I purchased a pair of Taranis jeans:

Taranis Elite AAA-rated single-layer motorcycle jeans in black

They are everything I had hoped for and more. The woven material has the feel of a traditional jean but has the strength and protection of Kevlar. The SATRA Technology Centre rated them AAA, which to the best of my knowledge is the highest rating.

They have a mesh lining which helps with ventilation as well as providing a buffer so that skin does not tear when a slide begins. There are sizing instructions on the website which are easy to follow. In my case, my Levi 501 jean size is also the size for my Taranis Motorcycle jeans.

I have tremendous respect for family owned businesses and often find they take a great deal of pride in what they do. Roadskin definitely reflects that commitment. Because I am a motorcycle-jean-knucklehead, I had a lot of questions. They were patient and even seemed delighted I was interested in the details. Customer service was outstanding when I managed to screw up my first order, too.

Their packaging created a moment, harkening back to the early days of cruisers:

e348068a1b095b2ef85b9182a080693e.jpeg


In my entire life, I have held only two garments which had Kevlar. Both were stiff and rough. The Taranis Jean is soft. The stitching is outstanding. The weight is “right.”

ce45ced230d0b29b8119b5f8700397fd.jpeg


16adb226a466b3119a511c54f2d14661.jpeg


The weave contains

* 48% Cotton
* 26.8% Kevlar
* 19.4% PE
* 3.2% Cordura
* 2.6% Lycra

The lining is equally well done:

448f9974cd87c2c5a35a158cc14f1ab7.jpeg


The jeans ship with Level 2 hip and knee armour. It is traditional armour which is a little stiff However, I upgraded to RHEON armour which is equally strong but much more flexible. When I rode to work, it was easy to get on and off the CB1100. Very comfortable. I wore the jeans in the office for the day. I completely forgot about the armour. It moves and bends with you but can be counted on to protect when something strikes you. Here are a few pictures with both armour types:

1bf264024cf970b39875966a85f72a3e.jpeg


d0c7fd01d28e688a160fbdee402087e4.jpeg


I have not researched the materials and manufacturing process for the “Smurf” inspired armour yet, but I did find this test impressive:


The jeans “work” with the rest of my gear:

327e3b8988627d162e05329e212bd3f8.jpeg


f6e3ef2a51e41933b39f36c6b465b44d.jpeg


I hope these jeans will be pristine for the next 20-30 years and never, ever touch the asphalt. Time will tell.

I have tremendous respect for everyone who has joined the CB1100 Forum and shared their riding experiences. It has inspired me to ride more. My recent purchases give me the comfort I need to feel like I have managed the risks well.

As always, I welcome your feedback and insights. Thanks for sharing.

May 2025 be good for you and those you love. Be safe.
 
A few years ago I bought some Iron Workers Kevlar jeans to ride in. They have knee armor but no hip armor. I don't wear them very often.

I also have a pair of Tourmaster Jeans which are actually textile pants cut in a jean style but they also only have knee armor.

I have 2 pairs of Tourmaster Touring pants one with a thermal liner for winter and one without for summer. They have knee armor and light padding on the hips.

I wish makers of riding pants would put more effort into protecting hips.
 
Another fine review. Careful, a mc publication might come knocking on your door.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I’ve not heard of Roadskin jeans and I hope you never get to find out how well they work. I wear Draggin Jeans on the bike.

I’m interested in the Smurf-inspired armour.

Happy New Year! Some more about RHEON armour:

It was not made by Smurfs. It began life at NASA. Engineers wanted to replace foam in the Space Shuttle and spacesuits. Here is a nice summary of the history of the amazing blue stuff:

[url=https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2024/august/rheon-armour/]https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2024/august/rheon-armour/


As best I can sort it, it started with a special polymer developed by NASA to mirror natural cell structures. Hence the flex and rigid; soft and hard. The Imperial College at London then engaged and help take it to the next level. It is finding its way into the market for cyclists, motorcyclists, and other types like us who place our bodies in harm’s way. :) Enjoy this day and all others.
 
Thanks for the link, Rdp.
 
Thread starter
My pleasure. If you find more info or a better product, please share. David
 
Back
Top