rboe
Road warrior
It would be a good thing if they made motorcyclists (and car drivers if they don't make auto drivers mandatory) take a lot more training. I see too many examples trying way too hard to reduce the gene pool. sigh.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but you also have helmet laws with much higher standards than ours, much more detailed and extensive mandatory motorcycle operation training, trial periods, tiered licenses, and all that jazz, right?misterprofessionality_imp said:Correct me if i'm wrong, but you also have helmet laws with much higher standards than ours, much more detailed and extensive mandatory motorcycle operation training, trial periods, tiered licenses, and all that jazz, right?Henrik_imp said:I've always thought that's one of the primary dangers of publicly-funded medicine. Once the government is in control of health care expenditures, they can write rules and regulations that the recipients must abide by. It's only a matter of time until motorcycles are deemed a public health hazard like smoking or alcoholism.Stichill_imp said:This caught my attention in the op-ed:
Quote:The country’s largest trauma centre (at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre) found that motorcycle crashes cost the Ontario health care system six times more than car crashes do
I've always thought that's one of the primary dangers of publicly-funded medicine. Once the government is in control of health care expenditures, they can write rules and regulations that the recipients must abide by. It's only a matter of time until motorcycles are deemed a public health hazard like smoking or alcoholism.
Wow, that's an arresting insight regarding human nature. Some people are risk-averse to the point that it interferes with the enjoyment of all that life has to offer.Gone in 60_imp said:Meh. Already got the talk, not from my mom, but from my mother in law. A shut-in who also is upset when I climb a ladder to fix her roof, get under their car to fix it, or get on an airplane to do my job. Because to her, as it is with some people, everything is a threat.
And to her old country way of thinking, the man is the provider in the family and if something bad happened to me, my wife would be penniless. My wife is a doctor, I am a glorified roady and warehouseman.
Basically I don’t ride to her house, and we don’t talk about motorcycles.
My mom? I showed her a picture of my CB when I bought it and she said it looked very neat and pretty. Recently, I took her to lunch, and on the way, I asked if she would mind if I stopped at a motorcycle shop to pick up a part that I had ordered. She wanted to come in with me to browse. She picked up a jacket and felt the armor, and looked at all of the helmets. “You wear all of this safety stuff, right?”
Yes, Mom.
Ok then.This seems to be a general fear in the US, and perhaps it would come true there should you move to a social healthcare system. Nevertheless, you will find that in Europe where social healthcare is the standard nothing of the sort has ever happened. We can look at Spain as a perfect example where motorcycles are extremely popular as a means of transport. For most of Europe, scooters and motorcycles are far more common as a means of transportation than what it has ever been in the US, in spite of social healthcare.Gone in 60_imp said:Meh. Already got the talk, not from my mom, but from my mother in law. A shut-in who also is upset when I climb a ladder to fix her roof, get under their car to fix it, or get on an airplane to do my job. Because to her, as it is with some people, everything is a threat.
And to her old country way of thinking, the man is the provider in the family and if something bad happened to me, my wife would be penniless. My wife is a doctor, I am a glorified roady and warehouseman.
Basically I don’t ride to her house, and we don’t talk about motorcycles.
My mom? I showed her a picture of my CB when I bought it and she said it looked very neat and pretty. Recently, I took her to lunch, and on the way, I asked if she would mind if I stopped at a motorcycle shop to pick up a part that I had ordered. She wanted to come in with me to browse. She picked up a jacket and felt the armor, and looked at all of the helmets. “You wear all of this safety stuff, right?”
Yes, Mom.
Ok then.
So, if looking at how things work out elsewhere, it does not seem as if this fear is actually realistic.
Wow, that's an arresting insight regarding human nature. Some people are risk-averse to the point that it interferes with the enjoyment of all that life has to offer.
that's likely why the social healthcare does not interfere with motorcycling, because when you actually operate a motorcycle correctly with the proper training, it isn't nearly as dangerous as it is here in the US.
:rofl:Cormanus_imp said:The same is true of Australia where we have a national health scheme. There has not yet been an attempt to ban motorcycles. There are never-ending attempts to make getting a motorcycle license more difficult, but they are driven by the road safety folks rather than the public health lobby.
In reality, although the cost of motorcycle accidents can be significant, the aggregate cost is not great when compared to the total cost of motor car accidents.
Rboe, I’ve thought for some time that it’s a great pity the modern world has become so fixated on trying to prevent idiots from improving the quality of the gene pool.
Politicians want to protect their constituents so they can continue to supply votes. Although in many precincts, even dead idiots still vote!Cormanus_imp said:The same is true of Australia where we have a national health scheme. There has not yet been an attempt to ban motorcycles. There are never-ending attempts to make getting a motorcycle license more difficult, but they are driven by the road safety folks rather than the public health lobby.
In reality, although the cost of motorcycle accidents can be significant, the aggregate cost is not great when compared to the total cost of motor car accidents.
Rboe, I’ve thought for some time that it’s a great pity the modern world has become so fixated on trying to prevent idiots from improving the quality of the gene pool.



ishouldbuyatacotruck_imp said:Shrug. Like David said in the second article, “mama tried.”
I’m still a new rider (not quite a year) but I know that despite every precaution I take there’s some idiot in a car not paying attention that could take me out. I accept it. Perhaps it’s the healthy respect of death we have that makes non motorcycle-riders so anxious?
Memento Mori and all that.
Read the article, and got a little annoyed. Do bozos like this think we do not know the hobby we love is more dangerous than riding in a car. So is skydiving, people will do what they love to do. For me, at 14 I wanted a mini-bike so badly, I dreamtGoldOxide_imp said:This annoying perceptive of motorcycling was published in June 2019:
[url=https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/braun-put-your-motorcycle-in-the-garage-never-take-it-out-again]BRAUN: Put your motorcycle in the garage & never take it out again
I thought it would be useful to, um, appreciate others' opinions so we can be aware of the perspective.
" ... Just leave the bike at home. Everyone who loves you will be grateful. "
Yeah.
Fortunately, this article responds frankly:
[url=https://driving.ca/features/feature-story/motor-mouth-more-ignorance-about-motorcycling]Motor Mouth: More ignorant grandstanding about motorcycling
Remain aware and alert.

:rofl:peterbaron_imp said:Lab12, good luck with your eye surgery and speedy recovery !!!
Would like to see a pic: you eating fish with bears
:beerchug:
Once I had an eye tumor that was really starting to bother me (think agitation and pain), so I scheduled a session with an eye specialist who deals in these matters. After about a five month wait I finally got in. I was nervous, but also stoked that this was finally going to change, hopefully for the better. This guy was like the top two expert in Peel County, Ontario (home to over 1.5 million people today). So basically his job was to penetrate the tumor and discharge the matter. Dude wouldn't do it! I said do it. After a long talk he prepared to do it. His equipment was top notch, but he was going to do it manually. Basically, insert a syringe needle into my eye and suck the tumor fluid out. You know? Dude's hand with the syringe was shaking!!! I was thinking, crap, there goes my riding career. Long story short: He completed the task. It already felt better. The physical pressure subsided.Lord Popgun_imp said:Offroad, I might have to have one done. Does it hurt? Cause I’m not a fan of sharp things near my eyes.
Ha ha - an oldie but a goodie.Cormanus_imp said:Here's Labrador12 fishing with a bear ...