A CRF250L in Colorado

Ole

Been there
Thread starter
I just spent 18 days wandering the great state of Colorado on a 2013 Honda CRF250L. You guys and gals like pics so I will throw some up. I did not ride it out, I trailered it. So shoot me! I had to get lessons on how to trailer a bike first.
Spent the first 4 days in the Poudre Canyon. Moose City up there.

97873cd5515413025377dd02f3bcfe05.jpg


Hy 14

c2863391ec6dc45fc9b168016844e08e.jpg


a6edf56d3aed25b98352e8c5873c8f2a.jpg


e1c10901aa2b33faba00b19cd5addcfe.jpg


18d93d6878f23642f697b612d50605df.jpg


f296488400534961468c23903477507e.jpg


Saw my first CRF250L other than mine. These guys where from Fort Collins. They had it chained to a tree when they went fishing!

75660d84e00bfbc4b24de3562a212e83.jpg


Laramie River road was a fast dirt ride.

4854711f231b7b7a019fd637a08e6f19.jpg


1964a3bf2e2c2fff220c31d6c55f47b3.jpg


366eb7675c4e6d9cc539bd07abfb6444.jpg


I will add to this as time permits.
 
If a trailer makes it possible to visit and ride an area that you otherwise couldn't, I'm all for it. Since I crashed on the VStrom I've been thinking about getting a trailer for the CB...not sure I can do the 10+ hour days rides I used to anymore. Trailering makes even more sense when you're riding an enduro when you get to where you're going. Who wants to spend all day super-slabbing on a 250 with knobbies?

Very nice photos. That moose is an impressive beast.
 
Wow, what an awesome way to spend 18 days. I am so jealous! Gteat pics. That is an impressive Shiras moose!
 
Great photos. In all of the times I've gone into Honda dealerships I've never seen a CRF250L. They are all sold in advance and are never in a showroom. I've never seen one on the road or trail either. The fuel injection on that dirt bike should allow it to sit for long periods and then start right up.

I also trailer my dirt bikes because mine are not street legal. Keep the photos coming Ole.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Yes, I had spooned on a new Dunlop D606 on the rear right before I left. I am sure 1000 miles would have "toasted" it. Besides, I needed my truck to sleep in. So I trailered the bike. The fuel injection worked perfect even at 12,800 feet. Just push the magic button and go. I had to help push many a dirt down in The San Juans later in this trip. Guys would shut them down for a pic then couldnt get em started. Kicking a bike at 13000 feet is no fun!

The Moose were everywhere.

ba7b7da2294d25b45f2f1dbd7f6ff0ed.jpg


Going up Deadman Road to the lookout found a pair of Minolta binocs right in the middle of the road. Nobody at the lookout claimed.

8c644ebe94b08e20b8cbb78e50a63267.jpg


a402e76efe11482db9bbe5a434165b2b.jpg


Rist Canyon and Stove Prairie Roads were outstanding.

94c9813c0ee462bad911abcba3de48d0.jpg


A big fire went up Rist canyon last year. Some of the houses I could tell where freshly built. :(

d48b35f02290a2d2469edbf905269520.jpg


af7caea44c83f72119ee49e3a04dd23b.jpg


48c5c094bad9b274d062fcc392dfe226.jpg


There is about a 12 mile stretch on Stove that is world class. Almost as good as Hy 31A and Hy 6 in British Columbia. I did Stove 4 times! Great fun on a 250!

18f4b4f30058901e3fca9dc70b4154b8.jpg


Looking back at Rist Canyon from Old Flowers Road.

254d81b491fdc9c208d2d3abd13ed596.jpg

Hy 14 along The Poudre

5dc730a9d81f08ec809cc0a4b5b0fe5e.jpg


a0fa9793fc7542305c229c84f20ab963.jpg


Boy Scout Camp Road was more high speed gravel
I thought I was in The Black Hills for a bit

393ec7c5817a64f69e94a70038d4aa1f.jpg


195abf4e2dd50587228c22b23b88ab8e.jpg


dbfc01da88c2f588244cb05d6e8c1036.jpg


789815115566f0e5b4b90b94ae2f1827.jpg


ATV went everywhere north of Hy14
Spent some time getting lost on them

77f5c9f1bf0ac0ef3cb224f18eff5f17.jpg


Long Draw Road was a highlight and not many people on it

892fbeb91250bfc593d68efc257ccfd5.jpg


5c443442b2190b237bdc9c026e5482cc.jpg


Those mountains are the north side of Rocky Mountain Nat Park

ee46beda3eaaa8f6e8e1192749d31b01.jpg

Long Draw Road area

9ca4fb96abc5c3ea66737449e72d5e07.jpg


65ac92a731e3a5101bc8d80ff7f2c02a.jpg


f92d74ed0dedb03c2009bc9ae8432e5b.jpg


3a209bb568cbf45b804a3db7f4b2ce9e.jpg


f3027e45382ac5c0cc1cdab30878ac8a.jpg


62cd24c788fde0264cec64e67e59b3df.jpg


Does anybody in Colorado hunt Moose? They were everywhere like rabbits

04ace5ff11d3fe30244217af05c2b269.jpg

Crap. Maybe a mod should move this to the "other bike" page?
I won't have a CB1100 trip report till October. Me and the boy are going for a little ramble then.
 
Stunning photos ole, just beautiful and awe inspiring. Thanks.
 
Thread starter
It was time to move. I moved my campsite to Grand Lake. I slept in the back of my truck a Toyota Tacoma with a 6 foot box. I'm 5 8 so I fit. :rolleyes:

Never been to Rocky Mtn Nat Park and I knew it would be full of cars but I did it anyway. It was cool up top.

1e4a9a24e5a815fb360da9544a32fe04.jpg


348a492b3a5dd47af0bc19fb5010de16.jpg


d3275a617204555e1ecdeff56083ebee.jpg


15ad8da9a3d396e8db5c143c50c4b2a8.jpg


I went into Estes park cuz I was a craving ice cream. I am an ice cream junkie. The best part of that is I found a dirt road from Estes up to the visitor center that was not too crowded with cars.

f7959c26279c802aeafeb24cd0c7f53a.jpg


It was one lane and one way and had wildlife on it

62d390fbf991efb2435bae3b56573724.jpg


I had stopped to, ahem, take a "break" when this guy walked in to view

007a9291c65887a4a038ee5aca045d02.jpg


I am glad I went into the park tho it was very crowded

5d9641cfddc0a0d988af1d755f1e5a75.jpg
 
This keeps getting better and better!
 
Thread starter
Back in The Poudre Canyon, a lady camped next to me told me about Stillwater Pass Road. She had snowmobiled down there 30 years ago and said it should be fun on a dirt bike. She was right. It started out fast dirt

c54f4e7b50a0f1adbba71c4e091f262c.jpg


Above the aspens it got real good

6f2dcd2299a3eec35bf4b82383ea88bc.jpg


12cd617871e082aa0842c954cc018c2d.jpg


I got brave and started pounding some ATV trails. They were not on the map or my GPS. Man oh man did I ever get stone assed lost. Had to pour my extra gallon of gas in to the bike and I was starting to wonder just where the hell I was when I popped out here.

e9e7e65d7829b9ba6ccaf4d2af789961.jpg


sigh Then I knew where I was.:cool:

I did not know Mother Nature had construction forms in her arsenal.


1345be8e1e4b719588e068be5b4754c6.jpg


picture perfect form

d9b3cc92412bd430d76289e2f10c2b58.jpg


Have y'all seen that Viagra commercial? The one where the cowboy gets stuck pulling a horse trailer so he unloads his horses to pull him out? I fricking found the guy! And his horses!

8e5a1d639bd0633d012994deaee43090.jpg
 
Thread starter
From there I moved camp over near Yampa. I have Elk hunted in The Flat Tops and wanted to see what it looked like without 8 feet of snow.

The sheep herder was in there making his coffee

82c81cae1fba6eccad320d94a3d931d1.jpg


1936cf467a4cb67bbf1cdbbe3701bcc7.jpg


lots of nice ranches and no paved roads

09d4e75eb7c9f29f15549cef0aee7e9c.jpg


ae80bd96a50c510083fdb25d5752550d.jpg


934e31c62d097313c693dc1fdbea6d34.jpg


0040fd74c4dca3261ce44db266c3261c.jpg


visited the spot Major Thornburgh lost his battle with the Indians

89ff34988d379cd573ce16e36b3743ad.jpg


1698d82b0a7fceb25b5a3984a476b8c6.jpg

took a dead end road to Trappers Lake

bb9728929fac592cb07bec54615008ee.jpg


a5a1bcda51d4d359ef912d657a9d843a.jpg


bout 10 years ago a big fire came through here

4cb09d74d74072f74f5c6b42eae13538.jpg


3003f5312497f22b46a9fa6945c68b26.jpg


parking lot was full of four wheel drives mine was the only one wheel drive

589fd5ae3972982cda09633ef7f394c5.jpg


there was even a cafe/bar way back there
not sure if this survived the big fire or was new

9911fa375b2beb448d8c6a6e9ac13513.jpg


sheep jam one of the guard dogs made a pass at me as I flew by

0a9cc2ba90e2cb36879282d6ade0cdc5.jpg


137ed7f15b4fba33251c827c08a2db02.jpg


Chapman Lake was where I camped
the people were pulling some nice "eater" trout out of it

4bd370b83fbd9a1cc5ad383858f34c58.jpg
 
Ole I was showing my wife these pictures last night and she lamented that we should have done that when we were younger. We have toured together for 40 years, but all on paved roads. These unpaved roads look awesome. I trust you know how fortunate you are to be able to do trips like this.

My glass is raised to you sir. Salute!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Ole I was showing my wife these pictures last night and she lamented that we should have done that when we were younger. We have toured together for 40 years, but all on paved roads. These unpaved roads look awesome. I trust you know how fortunate you are to be able to do trips like this.

My glass is raised to you sir. Salute!
Yes I know. I have an employer that gives me 5 weeks paid vacation and am fortunate. I have motorcycled to Alaska twice- once solo once with my son. Those were two great trips!
 
Thread starter
Made my way to Dillon where this was waiting for me

3b08ff280eae4d8d8376865398f1eb36.jpg


An ADVer named Jay let me sleep in his RV for two nights

More horse ranches

d01ccc0e331ee12a711278efe7a86f02.jpg


It has been written that the Dillon Res supplies Denver with 40% of it's drinking water it is over 300 feet deep

79fdcc5f98d2718ddc15281d6d31a9a4.jpg


Jay lead me on some of his fav roads with his CRF250L the second one I have seen other than mine

09d8bbbf8fc379dcca007b58f058fce1.jpg


Brek

9b4c8c06bf130267d4013f2293977dc1.jpg


Boreas Pass

1fb9a258f5750b3468fc3389bf40c7d8.jpg


7fdb73d29268e5e447bdc5149dc15038.jpg


A 4wd drive van

de8909ed6bf0598b1c9a6fb80e2d1e84.jpg


South Park

b2563c8754035af4ed5e091f26e8c49b.jpg


a neat restored old town

d2df59f2fd2f171132da6e73c332966c.jpg

We explored some old mills and mines

1aeaedfd6622852608a3c543fc528280.jpg


fun roads

7180bcbedf2900a9d7f3273d054d6db4.jpg


d34c72ec0bc6b6cdfcdc01b6e86f879d.jpg


e04bf0a5f8c93914ffd9393bb21940d7.jpg


4b947b896dfb5f63e5519b3aed89caaf.jpg


cb8ad23fb3ade393ddd5cf0c9dba2fd4.jpg


4d836ec4aa8c0ab9e4a6c1a82efcea38.jpg


b58dd7e35d01c3846391aab2ea2cab0d.jpg


b99e7a484fe09704e339b3bd45bed7ae.jpg


He let me play in a sno cat
he works on a ski hill

7ac56fb4310012d4f80456c0560e37d6.jpg

Next day I was solo Jay had to work

20bed7d54acbfd6595e8dd87dea29d43.jpg


da1294ec0dc4f6be67809a990a4248e4.jpg


Webster Pass Rd

bae5a341cd53435e475d371bbec914cc.jpg


793565b0676604fdb74e64ac69355f2c.jpg


Webster Pass

1c6c17704542ff963d0cc28f2e7760e0.jpg


had company up there

4b5148d93670484401453a5ac6c85e3a.jpg


83b651c6b2fec837509e1e56e7aef5f5.jpg


a83b91dcf68dbdb6e474cdb8dfbd76e9.jpg


e0aae869a4404c983af05fb4fb23c2f3.jpg


great fun

292d144c4fb45c17829f0044e48a1f0c.jpg
 
Thread starter
On the way down Webster was a water crossing. An older man from Missouri in a front wheel drive mini van stopped me as I sloshed through. " I will give you $5 if you do that again". What? He was unsure his van would make it and wanted to observe me going through it again to help him make his mind up. I said keep your money just take a pic or two with my cam.

51138232b1c971ba3a9d80d996eaa2d7.jpg


bc1f756aecfbac6c48f93dec606eebad.jpg


it was a very easy crossing but in the end he chickened out

Jay gave me a free lift ticket so I became a tourist on a ski hill

a4692baccb9ab363eeaf6458d41b30e3.jpg


95ba9a79162dce830f39f25409410e55.jpg


nice views up there

fa7db884f36a3e30632f16cddd175f7e.jpg


but couldn't wait to get back on the dirt

78aab2aa8415ade6c727ca89d3f782a1.jpg


Georgia Pass kicked my butt. Was about 3/4 of a mile from the top when the mother of all hail storms turned me back
3 guys on atvs followed me down to the flat ground
i told them you can pass but they said it was more fun watching me on the Slip N Slide :D

4c8d6e24d25ba43be69a6ad84883d6c4.jpg


2463597f8e34917ef5c0e7a1a0ade3cf.jpg

Moved onward to Cottonwood Pass Road. Found a free campsite and a stream full of 5" trout. Hundreds of em and no fishing pole

d82e3a21c9012f37aecae32cf1ed2909.jpg


31ba991b032fdd3454caa137a21947dd.jpg


a typical Colorado supper for me

17741efa9f075fe5628ec6fc4f946c9b.jpg


The next 4 nights were at Buena Vista for ADV WestFest
 
Dang what a cool adventure. So glad you are still posting this up. Thanks
 
Damn. That 250 was on my short list for a long long time. Does not have a seat that encourages touring though. :)

One sweet trip with drop dead scenery. :worship:
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Damn. That 250 was on my short list for a long long time. Does not have a seat that encourages touring though. :)

One sweet trip with drop dead scenery. :worship:
I agree. That's why it has a Seat Concepts seat on it. It is a great seat and wider than the stocker.

Buena Vista has many 14,000 peaks nearby. That means lots of dirt roads going to the passes.

Weston

0133a46f39ff6b6805e0340d52be6295.jpg


it's up there

b4a687a225233030fed16304da5a7f14.jpg


just keep going

cd591301f7fca83fc2d9768f0633018e.jpg


c51b99be34005647e67bcc79448bf5ad.jpg


then down the other side to Leadville

91214544c00add5ed729f379ae548276.jpg


1d14cb3d80c53cac23516b8652d79aaa.jpg


I could not believe there were no other motorcyclists on this road
So then I rode some ATV trails above camp til another storm hit

32a4765e7f2b8a28b6e2bf12ddbaa226.jpg


got down to the trees when it hit

fe2a101174dd8ac1ca6d4d8245eb2b75.jpg

next day was paved road to Independence Pass

e0fb26467ebbb07b0ec4c140d5b680cd.jpg


very twisty and fun on a 250

c8390d3bbd06dc5f25bb3634cbe68e49.jpg


b60bf4228332747531241c12458dacad.jpg


f0e683a87b69879528d959aeb08d3c40.jpg


on to Aspen for fuel which was $4.85 for 87 octane
they must have seen me coming

21b3b57f537abb4535f782f99a47ec47.jpg


c7b62d26a9e8380530aafd45be610624.jpg


at Basalt, I stumbled on to another Colorado hidden gem
Frying Pan River Road was just outstanding
never straight always leaning

4fcc5b4e0c6dac5f171b87c7074169f0.jpg


d987cb6b2aee5e188c5d39d747bc6d6f.jpg


it lead me to this lake

4454b33712d65909e3da91f496f10edf.jpg


4d74c98bab5375c5e5bc2e4f7b2b9225.jpg
 
Back
Top