A CRF250L in Colorado

Maybe I'll get a used one. The 650L is nice but she is huge! I had a Quota for doing stuff like that, discovered she was too big so the 650 seemed like a step in the right direction. Just needed to make a few more steps. :)
 
Thread starter
my Benchmark Atlas showed two dirt roads that would get me to Eagle
the sign said "impassible when wet"
I gave er a shot

7ebd0e0d6fa6683ade24d92395b9db57.jpg


another shower was coming

9e41e80e484e6767c046af0f8459c9e3.jpg


it frigging poured and hailed
I had to drag mt feet for ten miles up to the pass
that road was pure clay/snot and with hail on it, I could not stop
did not think I could get going

1bd4eaa2c46e76530bf9ece7cfad3921.jpg


it stopped as I hit Crooked Creek Pass then the road was downhill and gravel sand mix. man oh man that up side was ten miles oh hell

e9c095a3158d13ffd988af6c7240de5d.jpg


ba702be765eb5efa4b1ee0d24abe599a.jpg


but it was fun

2ade45c03fef3df59302c4c77d80ca94.jpg


nearing Eagle

c96426b0a9bee297089645dc9cabdde7.jpg
 
Geezalou, fantastic stuff. (Two thumbs up emotion inserted here)
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the nice words guys. I didnt do anything special, I just look at the maps and go. Whats the worst that could happen?

Clear Creek Res Road goes right up to a whole bunch of 14000 foot peaks. Ought to be some dirt up there? And two old ghost towns.

71051f69b19d55bcbf9d88caa7ea4314.jpg


f639a211b6876b0b8027aa36bae0e19e.jpg


rode the jeep roads to the trailheads for those big peaks

8386884b5d3c8ce9aa50fe66cf35a073.jpg


64ee401577bddeddb2b630398be3b2a2.jpg


14er Huron Peak where several years ago a medical helo crashed upon it. All were killed and someone had made a nice memorial for them

3854ea0ae889379aa7a867b597f430d0.jpg


there was this lil museum back there

48e3cdc56861b246f43b5430797c61df.jpg


69f5b1e679ade89612acaede408c77bf.jpg


dc7dba579efafbc3068cd8dd7a44721c.jpg


5384b1c31ab55d5b2cedc43dcc4b5644.jpg


eb91163649c8bfd04c43ad75758af869.jpg

next morning paved it to Cottonwood Pass then it changed to dirt

08e734cfc9a66f57a71c39ab53000686.jpg


99ee02ba3ea5a9abefbf35b0ddcf031e.jpg


Taylor Park

338b8955439342df908803a32da47d42.jpg


5ceca2a1ae71423618e251f761c8f50e.jpg


and res

b943721506214eefb75e98a98b6e4d48.jpg


did Kebler and Ohio Pass over by Crested Butte much dirt over there

c2d4418e7d6217cf9e5894b745a1b929.jpg


6d126b27c4ac13cb526f0fe12aff3d83.jpg


it is hard to find any bad riding in Colorado if one stays west of I-25

ba63784ca3e9647864026091c9aae8dc.jpg


it was very nice over there

dcf202b0c6e85290a5a96d7dcb5fcb71.jpg

went through Parlin, Pitkin, and Tincup on the way over Cumberland Pass

ea9001c226d8fd26f14c019139c67614.jpg


f528884e37ee36352d8e131babfae195.jpg


3db685e39b530d026d84b407cb093a34.jpg


801881ebd10b96538a8b51538926135d.jpg


5aa0af1f7dcc117e56e7a005530ee2fc.jpg


4d69d95d9ddb002118589d51d5b9ea29.jpg


and back home over cottonwood
today was 300 miles about 210 were dirt

058b709b787d6b6f1aa7537ed05787f7.jpg

Old Monarch and Marshall Pass was the agenda today

9b1e8450063ac83eee3b19b7fbcad13e.jpg


2d307dbdf4dae9e854b4f7b2150211a7.jpg


84449533d21fc5faa40e2aaeb921f152.jpg


more nice "ranches" but no cattle just horses? weekend ranchers maybe?

86ad0cc37a735239fc6b137732a3c2e4.jpg


58bbf0fc571d1d1e4a5e9e8d74e892b8.jpg


0e1d5e778b96ed1c4152c167f20845df.jpg


c114e86923efb4cd447287bf808a3c14.jpg


9311276aeef8ef3548b75d0e2cbc3394.jpg


these are the mountains I was up in yesterday

dc833f54fc0a75745aa4eb516bed3d7b.jpg
 
Thread starter
I had to be careful when beering at my Buena Vista campsite. The ground had flesh eating plant life.

c3091155c12e319a22cbfdc6f7635a5c.jpg


My last four Colorado days were in The San Juans. I camped above Lake San Cristobal 8 miles from Lake City. It got very cold at night. They had been getting some rain so had to be on lookout for these

8166eaf1dfc7525410bacd5d1f9ce4a4.jpg


Found some dirt on Los Pinos Road off of Slumgullion Pass

341c31e13ca67f83e04cbdff008dff7d.jpg


Once I got around her, she crossed the road and in the mirror I saw she had a calf with her

9cf113bc7ee2d7a1019a231322a0e89a.jpg


filled my water bottle at a campground out of this

7478bc0bf9a57665f3af309408ce058c.jpg


kinda cool to see it was made in my hometown, that foundry is our largest electric customer (I work for the city water and light)

cca2c03e549f184c2221d03a84e561bb.jpg


I avoided this

67448df5c04447528f3fa1b3f4444fd9.jpg


my campsite was three miles up this valley past the lake on Cinnamon Pass Road

d9c24254bb3d09f51dcb68c73525d995.jpg


31e84100fe4456474f047a23c4c0180b.jpg


527b965ccdc6159651a7ecd3656e3964.jpg

I made a big circle over Cinnamon and Stoney Pass with a gas/donut stop in Silverton

e8da5614ac802c23cb1231893263caa2.jpg


106e51af9efbd71a6c2424b8e8c69743.jpg


the jeepers were still sleeping

5b45c363bb2d1b6961c6c5c2086fa7b8.jpg


Cinnamon is up there

d5011c1135b549af56c1f24834baa97b.jpg


not quite 13000 feet and bike ran great. had to keep her wound up to use second gear tho so mostly stayed in first up high

fc650961311de8df29e6e9976f149f7f.jpg


9645b12db65ccab1dff349772e66229d.jpg


f104d79f1e1fe1cc54e663d8f301341f.jpg


went down to Animas Forks an old gold town

9a96a576a51cadf42359e562454289bd.jpg


9e8436e4869cf86043af6e162cc0483c.jpg


134de340d9a4a8413c6b8c0405ea2ef2.jpg

from Animas, one goes down even further to get to Silverton

0d1468b542c0b4ed3a98084a1cda9d03.jpg


old mines were everywhere up there those guys were tough dudes to mine that high in winter I must say

c8f980abf099f5ffbaa19c311797adb1.jpg


then turned around and got high again going over Stoney Pass

921670a99b3c6f04a62b2f02d8a14fbb.jpg


helped a guy change tire on his van here

cf01b38171bd97b566a21dda3c3cdf24.jpg


Stoney pass was better than the more popular Cinnamon

2016e98ab224efbb38bb18ccb3da6375.jpg


2b96a12f6c832ad2451846429dfe34e7.jpg


it was very remote

1b7e3e1ab281519733e5bf571cd1c8b8.jpg


5ab12c12bd1905d21f74c7fb71a16963.jpg


a79589025618445ae55e2339f4159e07.jpg


20e7736ced3fea0d9ae6319d277dc2b4.jpg
 
Golly its one thing to stop at an overlook and see these mountains, and another to ride up amongst them. I will never look at a mountain the same way again. Thanks ole.
 
Thread starter
My camera is an old Canon SX100. 6 years is very old in digi cam life.

I came off Stoney Pass and headed for the Rio Grande Reservoir.
All dirt and some trails the jeepers were not allowed. You had to drive through this metal ramp/gate thing that was only 50" wide.

3d7595f742a3752847e47921c093ef12.jpg


84559471ed4d720a449a618429069afd.jpg


it turned into a typical Colorado rock garden
some places it was so steep down, to control the bike, I shut the engine off and used the clutch to slow me down via engine compression cuz the brakes were no good on loose baby heads

fea1f39ad8af88660d11e8c7668383db.jpg


337fbc2311b1654368b30ee31838df4b.jpg


0be9ccfba9f20208c39ea475af964fe0.jpg


Rio Grand Res was dry, last year when I was here on a street bike this was all water

51591fd16cbfd5b12baec6e1cc04a87b.jpg


d075010f9feb0223651d3c9c0b3c1374.jpg


0129ea9b8e08191d31e4c7ba69c6c947.jpg


found some water near the dam

a9c474640b36d5058ee4e280d57547af.jpg


they had a big fire earlier in the year that started near Wolf Creek Pass and came a long way

b298f49bf8cd7b3785f08c059bfc762b.jpg

The beetle killed trees were everywhere

4211a090d933a6ca11d1eb352dc35773.jpg


d0cd47d2acd5d8ad10d1e7647620853a.jpg


389703052e5f50974e28bf46144a1a1f.jpg


when those small fires hit a beetle kill area, they become large fires fast
The guy camped next to me said Wager Creek Gulch was a good road. It went to a ghost town and the Continental Divide

89c60216b450fa82fee75c96e4253a80.jpg


this was right across the road from my campsite and I didnt even know about it

6e7a0da80b98225c4f5001cb51b46d6a.jpg


shouldn't surprise me there are dirt roads in abundance in CO

d96e19187cfdfc7d715640a09a7d3cac.jpg


Carson ghost town the kids had it all painted up with crap

b416b1e1caf5d62c7712ce846c65468c.jpg


aec1f18424253d9e47d209ae399e8acd.jpg


ce70f50c6d56679dbd4d4f8814ba8b19.jpg


ed1e41dd8c1e69f198843bb6c9102775.jpg


to the Divide

e3db3a74977247fb60e76fadbaeb2835.jpg


20f1d99d402459d2ede2c014cf8bfcb9.jpg


4add7fef6d95f84e7651c8ada1cc509f.jpg
 
Alright another installment of awesome screen savers!
 
Thread starter
Some shots from the Divide above Wager Gulch

8e297b49f3a11bce98c0cbdac195ce6e.jpg


002c2c86ccb1f44cde1402c9b6bd9b1d.jpg


perfect temps for a last day ride in Colorado :(

d53bab620cf2e1b60742ac2774fa8282.jpg


a survey marker? or?

4ef125845f704add5dc20eee0afc4b87.jpg


headed back down to do Engineer Pass I saved it for my last day

49dfe478cd427a2eff06172165bd7538.jpg


Wager was a fun little ride and there were zero atvs or jeepers

980d29fbf8f2ea8c6a56880cfd9fa32d.jpg


f25b9cef46862e9564025fdf414f2d71.jpg


dont target fixate here

2f0d7ce2e29845d87c3970447e4c175f.jpg

Hinson Creek is followed for many miles going up to Engineer Pass

030d53d7e2229ab47e336d8782b4944d.jpg


f5c7fe4857e5b7abbfced7d8c829f9f0.jpg


1d57cec92cef41e0546ec10f092bc706.jpg


up up up

a755d527fdb007ff149701a36dd762d5.jpg


800 feet to go

30756f9f69570279b98845300c4acfb6.jpg


dfe5a832171f5b79ed58f6d17dc7d494.jpg


91ab91962f28435790df94d335991651.jpg


6b2824513fc4b774f0a056f86a916880.jpg


379ec5152238aab15f4c2d9e78dfbd5c.jpg


133754e146990555ee5c918800e5f74c.jpg
 
Thread starter
it was time to get back to Wisconsin
I had to drop down to Animas then go over Cinnamon again to get back to my campsite.

My last exploration was to American Basin on Cinnamon Road

498931e9a6de7a0aaede8cff954f68c2.jpg


5c27c7da7958444257f66a32687a81ad.jpg


I parked the bike and went for about a 2 hour hike
it was very nice up there and quiet

de64fa8dd28e539772cdb3a3107d3840.jpg


So the plan was to get an early start the next morn and git home
these two good old boys from Texas next to me had other plans
we tore in to a "gud un" their wives kept hollering at us to "get to bed you dumb ass's"
nobody got hurt :cool:

this is a private lake at my campsite where the owner stocks trout fot the kids to catch

d37372978c8d63075987743267580958.jpg


31beba726ed2358e7d49ee8450884de5.jpg


So I stumble out of truck @930 am and head home

some facts:
2700 miles on Toyota Tacoma pulling the bike trailer
2100 miles riding the bike
about 1500 miles were dirt

I had a great time, and only ate out in an eating establishment once
The rest of my meals I bought fresh in a grocery store and cooked at camp
Thanks for taking a peek
david
 
David Thank You.... This has been an outstanding ride report with awesome photos. Been such a pleasure to "ride along" with you.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Lol why was sabrina juan banned?
spam account I guess. nvm
Yes spam account. Missed deleting one of her posts. Taken care of now. Banned another this morning that snuck in 6 posts scattered throughout the forum concerning fixing BMW cars. We have filters, but spammers have ingenuity and sometimes get around the filters.

Have probably banned 100 spammers in the last year. And you think my only job is keeping you guys on the straight and narrow lol
 
Back
Top