'79 GL1000, 60Kms

What an awesome selection, PB! How did you decide which GoldWing you liked best?

I don't know about the performance of the 4 cyl 350, but late seventies, on a ride over San Marcos Pass (Santa Barbara to Solvang) I was 2 up on my CB750F, a friend 2 up on his CB550 and there was a huge difference in passing power.
Probably akin to the difference between an 883 and 1200 Sportster.
 
Thread starter
Oh boy....next Saturday I will take a look at three different GW.

* 1975 Candy Blue, completely refurbished, new harness, gas tank, tires, carbs, battery, control cables, every single nut and bolt, c/arm bearings, fork seals and much more, showrom condition, 27,000 miles

* another GW, European model with original alloy rims, only prduced exclusively for the British market.....have no more details at this moment

>>*** 1979 GL1000 with 42,500 kms in excellent original condition, I think is in sky blue?...from the pics it looks simply wonderful ***<<

I know he also has a 1972 CB750, gold, completely refurbished with electronic ignition, 4 in 4 exhaust +++.. 
....and a 1978 KZ1300 in green, completed engine restoaration, refurbished, mint and original, 25,000 miles....love this 6 banger sound....
 
Did you look at them PB?
 
Thread starter
I had to cancel my visit last Saturday and reschedule it next month.
I have some concerns on adding a third bike?, but I will go to see them to cheer myself up for the spring season.
 
Thread starter
.......

peterbaron Wrote: said:
.......... So, you're planning to look at a '75 Goldwing? .....

I keep putting off this visit because I don't want to fall into my own trap (no more motorcycles)... but this GL is supposedly in impeccable condition, and the moment I see it, I might just buy it on the spot... you know how it goes, Gone
I cannot have 3 bikes either 

Today, while in the area where this GL1000 is kept, I stopped by the office to take a look at it...
The bike is in very good condition and it’s kept in the office, at room temperature, but it hasn’t been ridden or started in about few years.
Aside from an oil and filter change, nothing has been replaced or repaired since 1975.
The owner's brother didn't have the keys and didn't know if there was fuel in the tank, though I couldn't smell any.
It has just 15,000 miles on the clock....and after sitting on it, I decided to pass on it.
I’ve never ridden a motorcycle like that in my life.
When I asked about the price... the owner's brother told me it was around 8–10 thousand.
I don't know if I go to see it a second time..
 
$ 8-10,000? My friend Don in Wi just sold his pristine 79 wing fot $1500
 
Thread starter
the Ferret said:
$ 8-10,000? My friend Don in Wi just sold his  pristine 79 wing fot $1500

At this price/$1500, here in Canada, you'll get a unit in poor condition with high mileage.

....and at this point, I consider the GL1000 project closed!
 
Not too long ago I became fascinated with the unfaired Goldwings.  After searching ads for some time, I decided I needed to ride one to see how I really liked it.

This led me to Retrotours, an amazing company run by Joel Samick at his home in Kennett Square, PA.  Joel maintains a fleet of ~25 vintage bikes and hosts rides throughout every year.  I signed up for a three-day "hub-and-spoke" tour.  On the first day, I selected the 1976 GL1000.  I chose different bikes for the next two days, and during each day we traded bikes around, so I actually got to ride 9 vintage bikes in 3 days.

I liked the GL1000, but somehow it did not speak to me in a way that made me want to get one.  I'm not saying I won't perhaps get one someday.  It's on the list, but further down.  It was comfortable and easy to ride, but I found more enjoyment in the lighter bikes.  I recall that the range was not what as I expected of a touring bike.  Also, for some strange reason I remember the annoying sound of the turn signals.  I'm sure that could be easily remedied.

Here is a photo of the GL1000, and one of Joel in his garage with only a few of the bikes which he maintains and which you can ride.  The cost was very reasonable.  Also for an extra $25 per day I got to stay in a twin bed in his home (sharing a room with an Aussie rider) and eat a delicious breakfast and dinner each day, courtesy of his wife Lynn.  Plus beer, wine, etc. when hanging out.  If you want to try Retrotours (and you should), I would do it sooner rather than later, as Joel and Lynn are not getting younger every year.

[attachment=1645]

[attachment=1646]
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20240520_120340008.webp
    PXL_20240520_120340008.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240520_000641820.webp
    PXL_20240520_000641820.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
I do love the look of the early wings, I did not know they came in yellow like that.
Usually I don't like yellow but I do like that one.
 
The GL1000s were very popular in the early 80s when I was stationed at Vandenberg Air Force Base not too far north of Santa Barbara, CA. Nearly all of them were fitted with Vetter fairings and bags and lost a lot of their special identity, but, in the long run, I think, led Honda to develop their touring line. The GL1000s opened the door to motorcycle touring in the US, with Craig Vetter's help.
 
Nachodaddy said:
The GL1000s were very popular in the early 80s when I was stationed at Vandenberg Air Force Base not too far north of Santa Barbara, CA. Nearly all of them were fitted with Vetter fairings and bags and lost a lot of their special identity, but, in the long run, I think, led Honda to develop their touring line. The GL1000s opened the door to motorcycle touring in the US, with Craig Vetter's help.

The AMA magazine recently did an article basically stating exactly that. The GL1000 was a nice bike, but with Vetter fairings and luggage, it became the first super tourer, and Honda, after licensing Vetter's products, eventually started making an in-house fully-faired and luggaged-up touring Goldwing. Had that mag somewhere around here, but just remembered I gave it to Mrs. G's boss.
 
I haven't heard that for years! Brilliant!
 
Back
Top