'79 GL1000, 60Kms

Well done pekingduck.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I have to say I don’t remember that bike. Was it a successful model? Just looking at it, I like it!
Additionally, 120 hp at 8000 RPM, 652 lbs, top speed of 140 mph, 5-speed gearbox, and sshh-haft final drive. Final production year was 1987, The Z1300 was considered at the time mechanically indestructible.
 
Au₂O₃, sorry, that looked like a scan of a copyright article to me. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll try to restore it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Au₂O₃, sorry, that looked like a scan of a copyright article to me. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll try to restore it.
Dang - you are correct.

Delete the image Cormanus.

= = =

Excerpt from unmarked clipping:

"At the end of the Seventies, Kawasaki was riding high. Several of its models had proved a fantastic success, from the 900cc Z1 to its three-cylinder two-strokes of 350 to 750cc. The marque had carved itself a solid sporting image, crowned in 1978 by the 250 and 350cc world championships. More crowded than ever, that year the range consisted of no fewer than 16 models — including three 1000cc machines! The time could not have been better to make a grand gesture, and Kawasaki seized the moment by launching its Z 1300 at the Cologne Show in 1978.

Run of Bad Luck

But its luck ran out. Kawasaki, who had been beaten to the draw by Honda with the launch in 1969 of the first Japanese 750cc four-cylinder, suffered the same mischance in 1978, when the Honda CBX 1000 six-cylinder appeared at the beginning of the year, leaving Kawasaki holding only the honor of making the largest-capacity machine in that period of burgeoning technology.

Over the Top

Even so, Kawasaki could justifiably be proud of having made the most impressive two-wheeler. though it proved a bit over the top for Europe, which only gave a half-hearted welcome to this very efficient — in terms of sheer performance — six-cylinder, which seemed too heavy and insufficiently sporting. In America, too, early enthusiasm faded away and the Z 1300 failed to make its mark, for the US market seems indissolubly wedded to the big V-twin."

Additionally, 120 hp at 8000 RPM, 652 lbs, top speed of 140 mph, 5-speed gearbox, and sshh-haft final drive. Final production year was 1987, The Z1300 was considered at the time mechanically indestructible.
 
That's a beauty! The owner of my local Kawasaki shop bought one of these back in '79. I drooled over it regularly.

Much like the GL1000 of this thread's title, the KZ1300 started out as a naked roadster with an optional full fairing and bags (IIRC, designed by Vetter). Like the GL, it quickly morphed into a fully dressed touring bike called the Voyager.
 
I was able to test ride a KZ1300 years ago. A friend owned a Kawasaki shop and let me loose on the first one they had on the floor. I remember it being very smooth and fast but felt ponderously heavy compared to a Gold Wing I had test ridden earlier.
 
Thread starter
Here is a different '75 GL1000, all stock, 16,000 mils, one owner, mint....but salty price.
Guess how much in CAN$

33f72b1a54c5b30785c3ba9db34db72c.jpg


d106d72ebb6ae36703e5b7e5ea88fa98.jpg


d115aa63682e361336e6574c471ff83d.jpg


a2b089d05aea85916fb317e42adc25b1.jpg
 
Thread starter
And after a long search, I decided to take a look at it because the price had dropped. It currently has 21,000 miles... and it looks like the owner put about 5,000 miles on it last year...or is it a different bike, but the same color and year... do both have rlets and mirrors, but different ones?
The current owner states that it is refurbished, OEM and in showroom condition.

My biggest problem is keeping three bikes in the garage = one of our cars has to be outside, okay in the summer, but definitely not in the winter.

The idea is to buy it first and then find a solution. Maybe I can keep it at work..
zPHxWkZ.jpg
 
Lovely looking bike, Peter. You could always rent a small storage shed to store it through the winter.
 
Anyone catch the article in the current AMA magazine about the early history of the Goldwing? Very timely. Beautiful bikes.
 
LOL I remember my dad, my brother and I all riding up to the local Honda dealer in 1975 to look at the new Gold Wing. They had it on a circular pedestal in the middle of the showroom with the "tank" splayed open showing the electrics and the kick start lever. The three of us walked around it for awhile, looking, commenting before we all agreed.. ..opposed 4 cylinders with 4 carbs, a radiator, a drive shaft, and a kick starter stored for emergencies where the gas tank was supposed to be..... it's a 2 wheeled car.... and would never sell to motorcyclists lol.

A couple years later I went to work for the same Honda dealer and got to ride one. Holy cow what a machine...and of course they sold like hot cakes. No much for predictions.

BTW it's the same prediction we made after viewing the CB 750 when it came out.lol
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
Lovely looking bike, Peter. You could always rent a small storage shed to store it through the winter.

Thanks. 
There are a few solutions.
* I was thinking of a backyard vinyl shed with doors on both ends, so I can walk through it...
* I can move my snow blower to a shed for the summer and park one bike there during the winter
* If all three sets of winter or summer tires and a snow blower are placed inside the shed, I can keep all 3 bikes and 2 cars in my garage.

If weather permits, I am scheduled this Saturday to take a look at it, most likely no test, however, I'll take my helmet and gloves with me..just in case.
 
Thread starter
Here is the latest update about the said GLs.
The photo in post #91 is of a 1976 GL-1000 but it belongs to a different person..
I've seen too many GLs, lately  :cool:

The 1975 model with the clear windshield is in better condition, refurbished, new: paint, T-belts, tires, brake pads, rebuilt: gauges, calipers, carbs + synchro, fresh brake fluid, and more. It only has 21,300 miles. Asking $5500CAD
This one also had a carb mods/improvement done due to an intermittent stalling at idle. It was GL-1000 common problem, he says.

ld3hnuI.jpg


QIRA7uf.jpg


.............

The 1976 model with tinted windshield underwent a similar restoration, but without repainting, and it has 17,400 miles.
He 's have these bikes for about 6-8 years. Asking $5000

fRsL2VY.jpg


eRO9INp.jpg


........

He also has the 1986 BMW, K-Series "Brick", Liquid-Cooled Inline-Four, I guesss??

Fe2A6S9.jpg


OVO6DhY.jpg

..............

....and he showed me his newest baby, the 1972? CB350F, L-RLET, 4 cyl with 4 in 4 exhaust with only 7,300 miles in very good condition, just certified and plated.

aYVTcZc.jpg


LtjbYnm.jpg


zeTctjx.jpg


PYfK00T.jpg


hF858Ee.jpg


Tim, the owner and licensed tech is 82 y o,  and still rides his CB350F...which he recently refurbished himself.

For the winter, all his Hondas have the carbs drained and the batteries removed.
Before he starts his bikes in the spring, he pressure-fills the oil system with oil, and carbs with fuel, to prevent his bikes from cranking and running dry, he says.

I did not make any offer and may wait untill spring next year.
 
Back
Top