'79 GL1000, 60Kms

Beautiful vintage gold wings all of them. Personally I love the light baby blue of the early bikes. My 82 is a standard model with the Vetter fairing and in top shape. Don’t let them sit too long as the carb rebuild is a major project by itself but you get used to it. Good luck with finding your wing. They are sooo smooth and I love my 82. Here’s a pic
eecedebbe8bd190a3de5448de295fd7f.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
IndianRider_imp said:
Beautiful vintage gold wings all of them. Personally I love the light baby blue of the early bikes. My 82 is a standard model with the Vetter fairing and in top shape. Don’t let them sit too long as the carb rebuild is a major project by itself but you get used to it. Good luck with finding your wing. They are sooo smooth and I love my 82. Here’s a pic
eecedebbe8bd190a3de5448de295fd7f.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great looker. :thumbsup:
 
I had an opportunity to buy a ‘78 Goldwing in 1979. I kick myself pretty often for not following thru. Even had the financing in place. At age 21, still in college, the timing didn’t seem right. Better jump on it PB. I’m third in line for a demo ride.
8e9ac8eadfdecaab7c861e38c508824d.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
mtneers_imp said:
I had an opportunity to buy a ‘78 Goldwing in 1979. I kick myself pretty often for not following thru. Even had the financing in place. At age 21, still in college, the timing didn’t seem right. Better jump on it PB. I’m third in line for a demo ride.
8e9ac8eadfdecaab7c861e38c508824d.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
...hmmm, what's the point of buying this bike, if you three will be riding it and I have to spin my head around watching, as you make your happy circles :(:s:P

Still waiting for his call....:-/
 
mtneers_imp said:
I had an opportunity to buy a ‘78 Goldwing in 1979. I kick myself pretty often for not following thru. Even had the financing in place. At age 21, still in college, the timing didn’t seem right. Better jump on it PB. I’m third in line for a demo ride.
8e9ac8eadfdecaab7c861e38c508824d.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's re-examine that a bit and take some remorse off:

* Even if you did successfully buy it, a few years down the road when rust and maintenance settled in, would you still have kept it?

* A few years down the road, some sexy CBX, MagnaV65 or possibly the Interceptor (considering your age then) would have made you cream your jeans. What of the ol', heavy Wing then?

* Marriage: Forward looking ... always a crap shoot. Does the bike come or does it go?

... I am sure there are many realistic scenarios that could have happened even if you became a successful Wing owner back in its day.
 
Happy New Year! Well, I just broke my New Year's resolution of downsizing the number and size of bikes. Woke up from a nap, glanced at Craigslist, and found a gem of a 1979 GL1000, all stock, and less than 12k miles, for $1000.

I couldn't resist, and called him up - he had only gotten text messages and was tired of that. I was the first to actually speak to him, said I wanted to buy it and was going to drive the 180 miles round trip. Starts but idles poorly, and will need timing belts and carb cleaned.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Happy New Year! Well, I just broke my New Year's resolution of downsizing the number and size of bikes. Woke up from a nap, glanced at Craigslist, and found a gem of a 1979 GL1000, all stock, and less than 12k miles, for $1000.

I couldn't resist, and called him up - he had only gotten text messages and was tired of that. I was the first to actually speak to him, said I wanted to buy it and was going to drive the 180 miles round trip. Starts but idles poorly, and will need timing belts and carb cleaned.
OMG - that is irresistible.

Maybe PB shouldn't see this. He might get upset.
 
IndianRider_imp said:
Beautiful vintage gold wings all of them. Personally I love the light baby blue of the early bikes. My 82 is a standard model with the Vetter fairing and in top shape. Don’t let them sit too long as the carb rebuild is a major project by itself but you get used to it. Good luck with finding your wing. They are sooo smooth and I love my 82. Here’s a pic
eecedebbe8bd190a3de5448de295fd7f.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh that's a really good looking bike. I dislike the over-bloated Goldwings but those "early "roadster" types with/without those style fairings are fantastic lookers. Very jealous.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Happy New Year! Well, I just broke my New Year's resolution of downsizing the number and size of bikes. Woke up from a nap, glanced at Craigslist, and found a gem of a 1979 GL1000, all stock, and less than 12k miles, for $1000.

I couldn't resist, and called him up - he had only gotten text messages and was tired of that. I was the first to actually speak to him, said I wanted to buy it and was going to drive the 180 miles round trip. Starts but idles poorly, and will need timing belts and carb cleaned.
OMG - that is irresistible.

Maybe PB shouldn't see this. He might get upset.

OMG - that is irresistible.

Maybe [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB shouldn't see this. He might get upset.
I saw it, beautiful, have something else brewing slowly.....no details yet
Get the carbs done PROPERLY and replace 2 timing belts, replacement is easy, take a look at the water pump at the same time...but you know...oh and get rid of the pints as well...
Congrats pd and happy/trouble free :biker:
 
Thanks everyone.

[/QUOTE]

I saw it, beautiful, have something else brewing slowly.....no details yet
Get the carbs done PROPERLY and replace 2 timing belts, replacement is easy, take a look at the water pump at the same time...but you know...oh and get rid of the pints as well...
Congrats pd and happy/trouble free :biker:
[/QUOTE]

PB, I'm wondering what you meant I should get rid of - pints?.

I think the carbs were done a couple years ago and were only lately a problem. Going to try fresh gas and some miracle fuel cleaner, but otherwise will let my friend tackle the job, as I am in the midst of a home remodel job that will be another 6 months. Will definitely replace the belts, check for water pump problems, and clean the brake system.

I am not sure if it will replace my V-Strom. It's certainly a different type of bike, and certainly won't replace the CB1100 or Bonneville. But haven't gone on any 300+ mile rides lately, and likely won't, so the GL maybe nice for those rides up the coast.
 
Good find pekingduck, and good work jumping on the phone, it immediately separates you from the tyrekickers and trainspotters :thumbsup:
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Thanks everyone.

I saw it, beautiful, have something else brewing slowly.....no details yet
Get the carbs done PROPERLY and replace 2 timing belts, replacement is easy, take a look at the water pump at the same time...but you know...oh and get rid of the pints as well...
Congrats pd and happy/trouble free :biker:
[/QUOTE]

PB, I'm wondering what you meant I should get rid of - pints?.

I think the carbs were done a couple years ago and were only lately a problem. Going to try fresh gas and some miracle fuel cleaner, but otherwise will let my friend tackle the job, as I am in the midst of a home remodel job that will be another 6 months. Will definitely replace the belts, check for water pump problems, and clean the brake system.

I am not sure if it will replace my V-Strom. It's certainly a different type of bike, and certainly won't replace the CB1100 or Bonneville. But haven't gone on any 300+ mile rides lately, and likely won't, so the GL maybe nice for those rides up the coast.
[/QUOTE]
My guess is that he meant, "Get rid of the points" (i.e. electronic ignition conversion). You can get a kit for under $200 and they're well worth it.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Thanks everyone.

I saw it, beautiful, have something else brewing slowly.....no details yet
Get the carbs done PROPERLY and replace 2 timing belts, replacement is easy, take a look at the water pump at the same time...but you know...oh and get rid of the pints as well...
Congrats pd and happy/trouble free :biker:

PB, I'm wondering what you meant I should get rid of - pints?.

I think the carbs were done a couple years ago and were only lately a problem. Going to try fresh gas and some miracle fuel cleaner, but otherwise will let my friend tackle the job, as I am in the midst of a home remodel job that will be another 6 months. Will definitely replace the belts, check for water pump problems, and clean the brake system.

I am not sure if it will replace my V-Strom. It's certainly a different type of bike, and certainly won't replace the CB1100 or Bonneville. But haven't gone on any 300+ mile rides lately, and likely won't, so the GL maybe nice for those rides up the coast.
[/QUOTE]
My guess is that he meant, "Get rid of the points" (i.e. electronic ignition conversion). You can get a kit for under $200 and they're well worth it.
[/QUOTE]
My guess is that he meant, "Get rid of the points" (i.e. electronic ignition conversion). You can get a kit for under $200 and they're well worth it.
Sorry for typo, I meant points as you said and conversion, yes for a kit , can't go wrong with it :thumbsup:
These carbs should be running on ethanol free gas to minimize gunky problems ...
When I hibernate my CB for winter, it's filled with ethanol free gas...but as you know for a FI is not really a problem.
Get going and ride it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Happy New Year! Well, I just broke my New Year's resolution of downsizing the number and size of bikes. Woke up from a nap, glanced at Craigslist, and found a gem of a 1979 GL1000, all stock, and less than 12k miles, for $1000.

I couldn't resist, and called him up - he had only gotten text messages and was tired of that. I was the first to actually speak to him, said I wanted to buy it and was going to drive the 180 miles round trip. Starts but idles poorly, and will need timing belts and carb cleaned.
OMG - that is irresistible.

Maybe PB shouldn't see this. He might get upset.

OMG - that is irresistible.

Maybe [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB shouldn't see this. He might get upset.
I saw it, beautiful, have something else brewing slowly.....no details yet
Get the carbs done PROPERLY and replace 2 timing belts, replacement is easy, take a look at the water pump at the same time...but you know...oh and get rid of the pints as well...
Congrats pd and happy/trouble free :biker:

Once you are through with the brewing, you know it will require six spark plugs. Any plans on six-into-six pipes? :D
 
Thread starter
Not mine...and not buying it.....there is another 6 banger...no details yet

8c0066da8fc8ae898b221987293030cd.jpg

1979 KZ1300, C$8000
 
I have to say I don’t remember that bike. Was it a successful model? Just looking at it, I like it!
 
Back
Top