2022 Kawasaki Z650RS

I used the heated grips on Angry Bird on yesterday mornings ride
 
peterbaron said:
I just finished insalling the Koso Apollo heated grips with 5-level settings.
The heated grips tubes were a very tight fit to the handlebar, so there was no need for glue.

That's a really clean looking setup. Very stealth.
 
Thread starter
I'm having some issue reading the temperature. The gauge only shows 2-1 bars, normally 3 bars, when it's cold /+15°C/60°F or lower. After manually checking both the upper and lower coolant hoses, they seem to be at the same temperature when hot, so it doesn't sound like a thermostat issue, as the temperature changes very quickly from 3 bars to 1 bar when riding cold.
When I bought this bike in mid-August, the red light came on 3x... but it went away after a few starts. Maybe it was the first warning???
I'll check the temperature of both radiator hoses again on Friday when I get back to work and grab an infrared thermometer.
The Z650RS manual doesn't even mention the resistance of the coolant temperature sensor, but I've already checked with my buddy AI and I know everything. It has an NTS thermistor, and the resistance is 2 to 3 kOhms cold and 200-300 Ohms* hot = NTS. All the hand written notes are already in my service manual for further information.
I suspect a poor contact to coolant sensor, ECM, or a faulty sensor... but that's just a guess. I hope it's not a software issue, otherwise I'll have to go to the dealer for a reprogramming next spring. The bike has a 5-year/unlimited kms warranty.
Tomorrow I'll connect an OBDII error code reader via a 16-to-6-pin adapter...

* I rented a private jet and tomorrow I'm flying to my buddy :hello: in Virginia Beach, Virginia, to borrow his bakelite multimeter....he has two bikes, a 2012 ST and a 2013 CB1100...  :P :D
 
Well, you know ... a man with both a Honda CB1100 and a Kawasaki Z650RS ...
 
PB, I’ll have to break out a bakelite Simpson 260 :) Wish I had one, but the prices have gone way up :(

I do have 2 infrared thermometers, but I used to use them on an aircraft search radar so they may not want to work on an engine, but should be good on your jet radar. ;)
 
Thread starter
My 2024 Z650RS has already been fitted with several red accents, some accessories, an SW-Motech rear rack and Givi top case.
Having covered 10,000 km without a hitch, the bike has proven itself on long-distance rides, so it now deserves a set of SW-Motech side racks and cases, which I’ll be ordering tomorrow.
One of the components isn't currently in stock, so I expect to receive the full set in mid-August.

My DLX, 42k km, will be used for very long-distance trips...or when I start missing a comfortable and smooth ride.

Also, next week I want to see a 1975 GL-1000 in red, completely original  with 15,000 miles on the clock, one owner, and in impeccable condition??
 
Thread starter
Both side racks and panniers have already been ordered, here is some image of them  :excited:

L0vhS7F.jpg


mldqsk3.jpg
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
.......... So, you're planning to look at a '75 Goldwing? .....

I keep putting off this visit because I don't want to fall into my own trap (no more motorcycles)... but this GL is supposedly in impeccable condition, and the moment I see it, I might just buy it on the spot... you know how it goes, Gone
I cannot have 3 bikes either :(
 
peterbaron said:
Gone in 60 said:
.......... So, you're planning to look at a '75 Goldwing? .....

I keep putting off this visit because I don't want to fall into my own trap (no more motorcycles)... but this GL is supposedly in impeccable condition, and the moment I see it, I might just buy it on the spot... you know how it goes, Gone
I cannot have 3 bikes either :(

You can have three bikes. Should you have three bikes? That's the rub.

I shouldn't have four bikes, but here we are.
 
I was under the impression that, in the interminable debate about the correct number of motorcycles, the settled law was n + 1, where n is the number currently owned.

Go for it, peterbaron.
 
Cormanus said:
I was under the impression that, in the interminable debate about the correct number of motorcycles, the settled law was n + 1, where n is the number currently owned.

Go for it, peterbaron.

Cormanus, that's always the answer. Assuming you have very understanding family members and friends with empty garage space. 
Or, the dream that you'll have a shop... someday...
 
Thread starter
peterbaron said:
Gone in 60 said:
.......... So, you're planning to look at a '75 Goldwing? .....

I keep putting off this visit because I don't want to fall into my own trap (no more motorcycles)... but this GL is supposedly in impeccable condition, and the moment I see it, I might just buy it on the spot... you know how it goes, Gone
I cannot have 3 bikes either :(

Today, while in the area where this GL1000 is kept, I stopped by the office to take a look at it...
The bike is in very good condition and it’s kept in the office, at room temperature, but it hasn’t been ridden or started in about few years.
Aside from an oil and filter change, nothing has been replaced or repaired since 1975.
The owner's brother didn't have the keys and didn't know if there was fuel in the tank, though I couldn't smell any.
It has just 15,000 miles on the clock....and after sitting on it, I decided to pass on it.
I’ve never ridden a motorcycle like that in my life.
When I asked about the price... the owner's brother told me it was around 8–10 thousand.
I don't know if I go to see it a second time..
 
Price seems right if it was running and ready to ride.
Any rust in the gas tank visible? That would be my only concern otherwise I bet with minimal effort it probably would be a happy running honda.
 
Back
Top