Yamaha Niken

GoldOxide_imp said:
Prowler look.

- - -

I swear its current storage domain is some sort of central office. Is that true?
You are correct. I'm DR. Dial-tone for the Nantucket.
All communication on and off the island goes through me. :D


ACK
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Prowler look.

- - -

I swear its current storage domain is some sort of central office. Is that true?
You are correct. I'm DR. Dial-tone for the Nantucket.
All communication on and off the island goes through me. :D


ACK
You are correct. I'm DR. Dial-tone for the Nantucket.
All communication on and off the island goes through me. :D


ACK
Ah, keeper of the landline cable pairs! :worship:
 
My 1st and biggest observation should have been the weight of this bike or it's front-end.
This set-up, the specs say it adds 120 lbs to the bike, 580 wet total.
I'd say half that is behind the headlight.
It has caught me off guard twice already, but no miss-haps yet.
I would think a test drive in stop and go traffic might turn a lot of people off.
Once rolling of course you don't notice it.


2nd ob was how smooth the front end rides over bumps, see above post.

3rd one hit me today when I noticed my hands weren't going numb like usual. I have
circulation problems arms and legs. Even on the silky smooth CB and BMW RT1200, 20-30 minutes I would
have tingling hands. I've only gone a little over this mark but I have noticed it starting yet.

This remote twin steering head design might be why?

More reports to follow

ACK
 
i know only one thing: i am proud to know how (fine) its to ride this niken.....it was only 1h over a pass street but this is enough
 
Thread starter
What’s pretty interesting to me is that WET the Niken weighs in at only 40 pounds more than the CB1100 which is typically quoted at 540 pounds (although a couple of sources I think have listed it as high as 560). I think I’ll ride it to work and put it on our certified scale and see what the true weight is on a full tank.
 
Not in any order
• Front end ride “over bumps” is the biggest advantage of this design. Yet few of the test mention this?
• Turning radius is very tight/small. This is a huge advantage for me out here with all the dead ends here. Narrow 2 lane roads are all zero-point U-turns for the Niken. The R9T was at least a 3 point turn every time. Stop when you hit the ocean. Equally noticeable as the smooth ride with little mention online.
• Brakes are a little weak but it will still do a stoppie, I’ve seen.
• Yamaha did a few other thing to help deal with this mass, heavier crank shaft, steel 1st 2nd and 3rd trans gears.
• Mirrors excellent view
• Top heavy when stopped 580lbs ride ready. Roughly 100lbs over the Tracer GT “2 wheeled counterpart” but 40lbs of it is right behind the headlight. CB is 540
• Counter steering is effortless compared to one wheel
• Absolute minimum handle bar vibes
• Tall seat height 32.9” CB = 30.5”
• Cost saving side bags non-water proof
• Cruise control
• Heated grips
• Stock seat on GT is well padded and comfy
• Sport seat is ½“ lower, less padded. Fine for island riding
• GT windscreen is tall but non-adjustable
• Straight up seating position Forward lean 0° CB’s are 11°

251* miles so far
* = all within 50 sq miles

This bike reminds me I haven’t owned a water cooled bike since 2004 a 98 Kawasaki KSR-80 which is a Grom sized bike, 80cc 2-stroke.



ACK
 
Sounding good so far, Ack, although this vertically challenged Aussie would not like the extra 2" of height.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Sounding good so far, Ack, although this vertically challenged Aussie would not like the extra 2" of height.
Cormanus: You just need never to stop. That is a rider's wet dream!

But if you must, just ride in a tight circle. :)
 
For the Niken Yamaha makes a 12mm lowering bushing for the rear and slide forks to match.

I've had taller:


06 BMW HP-2 39" seat at 410 lbs all in. This was one of my favorites, only 225 in the US. I dropped this one 6 or 8 times at stops and gas stations......VERY embarrassing. This has been the only bike I actually rode somewhere, did a trip to Virginia Int Raceway for a AMA race weekend. 12,000 bikes, 1 HP-2. 10 hrs of all rain for the return.
The Niken has an extra 170 lbs and is a lot worse at a dead stop. Maybe some crash bars are in my future?

ACK
 
geezalou 39" seat height would be near my armpit lol
 


I must have spoke too soon about the crash bars!!
I was ready to roll out the door and put up the kickstand before throwing my leg over, that was my mistake. The freshly buffed floors are really slippery, left leg slowly slid out from under me and down we went. I was able to set it down easy as my leg slid sideways. No groin pull :D. Bike looks even stranger on it's side?
Damage: none really



The real kicker was I couldn't lift the beast back up. I'd lift it up but the lower tire couldn't grip the floor enough and just kept sliding away. It was heavy and I had a hard time lifting it. Luckily a co-worker came in after 30 min and 4 attempts and almost a 2nd coranery, we hauled her up.
Not a drop of anything leaked out and the tank was even full, the BMW would have been a mess.
I want to make sure it was all the floor fault so I'm planning to lay a blanket down outside and try it in a natural setting, with a helper. If I can't lift this thing I'll have to start a workout plan :(

Feeling weak, ACK
 
Bummer, Ack. I’m glad you escaped the coronary!
 
wow !! .. what a shocking pic.. bikes always look so helpless when they are laying over like that.. you want to pick it up quickly and give it a comforting hug, like it were your child..
 
Back
Top