Windshield Search

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Still looking for a windshield that will knock off wind on my chest AND face. So far, the NS Street Shield EX does not do what I expected. Anybody have any experience with the PLEXISTAR 2? It is 2" taller and much wider due to wings for the hands. It is listed as fitting the 2014 CB1100.
 
I got a MRA windscreen. Works pretty good on the Moto Guzzi Griso, good enough that I bought mounts for the CB. 1000 mile trip with the MRA proved it was less than ideal on the CB. sigh.
By the way, it has the Laminar Lip on it which helps push up the air but not really enough.

The Rifle Fairing might be something to look at.
 
Have it on my 2014, if you are looking for real protection this is a good one. Works well in cold as well as rain.
 
I just installed the National Cycle Street Shield EX last week. I like the looks of it and it does take all the wind of my chest. It is an improvement. However the wind noise is just as bad as without it. I've got it about as high as I can. About 1.5 inches above the headlight and 17.75 inches from the ignition switch. Rake is about the same as forks. I'm going to continue to tinker with the adjustments and see if I can eek a little more protection from it.
 
I just bought my second Plexistar 2 for the CB11 (first one destroyed by Bambi). I use the Plexistar in the winter and a small Deflector DX in the warmer months.

I'm 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam and the wind blast at highway speed hits me about 1 inch below the top of my helmet. That works for me and I don't get any extraneous noise or buffeting. The hand coverage is nice and makes a big difference in colder weather.

With the smaller summer shield the wind blast hits just below chin level, which also works. I think the idea is avoid it hitting you in the faceshield area. That seems to be where most of the noise and buffeting problems come from.
 
Thread starter
silver90_imp said:
I just installed the National Cycle Street Shield EX last week. I like the looks of it and it does take all the wind of my chest. It is an improvement. However the wind noise is just as bad as without it. I've got it about as high as I can. About 1.5 inches above the headlight and 17.75 inches from the ignition switch. Rake is about the same as forks. I'm going to continue to tinker with the adjustments and see if I can eek a little more protection from it.
You should be able to raise it another 1/2" without any problems. However, this minimal increase in height affords minimal difference in wind noise. Even at that height I cannot wear an open face helmet or half helmet in the summer, as the wind is so fierce at highway speed. The EX is 18" high so anything above that measurement should be an improvement. I have tried about everything I know of with the EX short of gluing on more plastic to it but that wouldn't look cool. I'm about to find out if a taller shield will work. Ordered the NS Plexistar 2 this morning. It also has extended sides to protect the hands.
The Ferret went the other way and sawed his shield off. Look up his posts from the summer where he talks about what that did for him.
 
silver90_imp said:
I just installed the National Cycle Street Shield EX last week. I like the looks of it and it does take all the wind of my chest. It is an improvement. However the wind noise is just as bad as without it. I've got it about as high as I can. About 1.5 inches above the headlight and 17.75 inches from the ignition switch. Rake is about the same as forks. I'm going to continue to tinker with the adjustments and see if I can eek a little more protection from it.


You might want to try the MRA X-creen Tour as shown above (from Twisted Throttle). I got the clamp-on version so that I can remove it without damaging my Street Shield EX. I'm not sure why the photo rotated 90 degrees...

With the X-creen in place, the EX became much quieter and I can ride at speeds up to 50 mph with my helmet visor open. It reduced buffeting and I rarely ever get bug spatter on my face shield anymore.
 
There're not. He made it fit.
 
Wow! A Vetter fairing? Now that's retro! :thumbsup:

I have a PS2, it works great, but it's huge and not very pretty. I removed mine and purchased a Road Comet fairing that I have yet to install and road test. Pesky things like work, leaves, splitting wood, and the kids after school sports keep me away from playing in the garage with my toys!
 
I did 50 miles on I-10 yesterday with the EX on. The ride was more pleasant, but still a lot of noise. I'm wearing a 3/4 Gmax 67S helmet with a jaw set on and I discovered the wind is leaking on the sides of the visor. Clamping a hand over that reduces the noise substantially. I also noticed the wind coming from the bottom sides creates some turbulence, but not any real pressure. The air coming under the EX over the headlight, seemed to dissipate without effecting anything.

The MRA-X seems like a good potential solution in lieu of a bigger shield. Is it stable at highway speeds and does it scratch the EX when used?

I had a JC Whitney imitation Vetter on a 76 Suzuki GT550. Not as nice as the windjammer, but it worked great.
 
I have been looking for a puig naked for the cb1100 , can't locate a dealer or distributed in the U.S. Any one have suggestions ?
 
obleo_imp said:
I have been looking for a puig naked for the cb1100 , can't locate a dealer or distributed in the U.S. Any one have suggestions ?
I've been working on that for 2 years. I'm about to be certified as a PUIG dealer due to all the bad information out there. I will make everything available to the forum at extensive discounts very soon. I was going to save that tidbit until I received my first shipment.
 
I think I ordered a Puig Plus from here: http://www.monsterparts.com/ If you go there, search in their search box for Puig Naked and they come up.
I checked, Monster parts is where I got a Puig.
 

On the left is the brand new version of the low profile windscreen (also called naked) made specifically for the CB1100. It has taken over 18 months to finally get it here to the US. I will finally be able to order some end of next week - supposedly. Here is the item at PUIG Page Not Found - Puig Hi-Tech Parts

Here is the link for the older taller naked model# 0869 (above right)
Page Not Found - Puig Hi-Tech Parts

The new revised model center section comes in Black 7593N, Clear 7593W, Dark Smoke 7593F, & Light Smoke 7593H
There is also a Carbon fiber looking (imitation) version (refers to the fairing portion) if you change the model number to 7594. The fairing on the 7594 looks like Carbon fiber vs being just black on the 7593. Purely cosmetic owner preference for either and somewhat functional selection of center section. In both cases, the N,W,F,H refers to the middle see through section for both. Personally, I am going with a clear center section for ease of night-time gauge viewing.

 
Thanks for the info, I think that you will see an order from me in the near future. Just like that i ask a question and pop come an answer. I have been looking into the puig naked for a couple of months. I have carbon fiber side panels, so am leaning towards the carbon fiber model.
 
Thread starter
EGAlvarez_imp said:
Wow! A Vetter fairing? Now that's retro! :thumbsup:

I have a PS2, it works great, but it's huge and not very pretty. I removed mine and purchased a Road Comet fairing that I have yet to install and road test. Pesky things like work, leaves, splitting wood, and the kids after school sports keep me away from playing in the garage with my toys!
I bought the PS2 yesterday. Not so concerned about appearance as I am avoidance of wind to my chest and face, but I don't want to stop riding if I can help it.
 
silver90_imp said:
I did 50 miles on I-10 yesterday with the EX on. The ride was more pleasant, but still a lot of noise. I'm wearing a 3/4 Gmax 67S helmet with a jaw set on and I discovered the wind is leaking on the sides of the visor. Clamping a hand over that reduces the noise substantially. I also noticed the wind coming from the bottom sides creates some turbulence, but not any real pressure. The air coming under the EX over the headlight, seemed to dissipate without effecting anything.

The MRA-X seems like a good potential solution in lieu of a bigger shield. Is it stable at highway speeds and does it scratch the EX when used?

I had a JC Whitney imitation Vetter on a 76 Suzuki GT550. Not as nice as the windjammer, but it worked great.
I find the MRA X-creen very stable at highway speeds. The clamp-on version is well engineered with rubber pads to contact the existing windscreen.

I have not removed it yet to see if the existing screen is scratched but I doubt it. It does not vibrate and I made sure the rubber pads were clean and the screen was cleaned and polished before I installed it. If there is any minor marking upon removal, I'm sure it can be polished out with plexus.
 
Back
Top