Windjammer

Thread starter
I just figured it out, I have been taking pictures with my IPad and it was upside down.
The funny thing is they look correct on my end..
 
outstanding. Where there is a will, there is a way
 
Carguy, What did you have to do to the stock headlight to get it to fit the Vetter headlight bucket?
Do you by any chance have any pictures of just the mount you fabed.
Thanks
Kevin
PS getting ready to install a Vindicator fairing on my 14 standard.:clap:
 
Any idea how much that fairing weighs? Have you had to adjust the front forks to compensate for the extra weight? Any handling changes?
 
Lol you know the shops I worked at must have mounted 1000 vetter fairings. I probably had a dozen myself. Never once did we consider how the fairing might impact the suspension. Man, how far we have come in that regards.
 
Few bikes had adjustments for the front forks anyway (my old KZ550 could be pumped up) and after market forks (unlike rear shocks) just did not exist so there wasn't much we could have done if we wanted to.

I mounted a Quicksilver on the 550, never noticed a change.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Few bikes had adjustments for the front forks anyway (my old KZ550 could be pumped up) and after market forks (unlike rear shocks) just did not exist so there wasn't much we could have done if we wanted to.

I mounted a Quicksilver on the 550, never noticed a change.
True, but the truth is, we never even thought about it. Never crossed our minds. We did realize a frame mounted fairing would be better than a bar/ fromt end mounted fairing like a Bates, but only for handling and not due to effects on suspension.
 
I never did for sure. But I was young. Lot's of things I never considered!:D

Well, I kinda did. I was looking for a frame mounted fairing and wanted something light. The Pacifico seemed heavy, the Vetter was too common and large. The Hondaline wouldn't fit. That pretty much left the Quicksilver and the Windstar (which I could never warm up to).
 
My Vindicator weighs 15.2 pounds without mount and without windshield. I will go weigh the Plexiglas and post it. I don't think it is much different than the windjammers.
Kevin
The 21 inch windscreen weighs 3.2 pounds
Kevin
 
Thread starter
No fork adjustment. I would think this fairing doesn't weigh more the 25 pounds, probably less. Before on the hwy the wind would push me around a bit. Now It pushes the whole bike, don't really feel it much till you hit 80 on the hwy in traffic, even then it's not bad. I have rode it to work the last couple of days. Temps in the morning low 50's, not cold at all, pants, boots with long socks, hoody, jacket and gloves (thin North Face). As far as the bracket, I only had to bend the frame mounts out a little. I had to notch the cross bar where the forks hit at full turn. I also had to mount the oil cooler to the bracket.
All in all it was pretty easy, small mods along the way. For the headlight I lined the hole with none backing carpet, then I bolted (4) the Hondas headlight housing to the fairing. I also used the Hondas 2 wire turn signal lights. All wired thru the back of the fairing thru a grommet.
Here is a picture head on
 
So the 1978 CB750 mounts worked pretty good with minor mods? Will the bike turn to full lock within the fairing without hitting anything? I was looking at a Pacifico, seemed rather narrow inside and that the instrument cluster would hit the fairing before full lock.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
So the 1978 CB750 mounts worked pretty good with minor mods? Will the bike turn to full lock within the fairing without hitting anything? I was looking at a Pacifico, seemed rather narrow inside and that the instrument cluster would hit the fairing before full lock.
After further investigation, the mount is from a late 70's CB750. The only mods to the bracket where, I splayed the frame mounting points out. There are 4 of them. I removed the oil cooler and kept test fitting the bracket moving them a little at a time, hammer worked great. Once the mounting points fit the bike frame, I used some rubber I had to wrap the frame and then mount it with hose clamps.you want to mount it as high as you can on the frame. You can use a radiator hose and cut as needed. I also had to cut the top off of one of the top mounting points, one was longer then the other. There is one 1.5 X 1.5 90 degree angle bar running between the two side pieces. Once the bracket was mounted I marked and removed the mount Then I trimmed the part of the bar that the forks hit at full cocked. I used a saw and a dye grinder to remove the metal. After that I mounted the fairing trimming as needed so it didn't rub the motor. After that it's wiring, move the horns in, and bend the gauge bracket up. I used the bikes head light in the fairings light housing, (big pain). Also use the bikes one wire turn signals with the fairings covers. The faring used a dual filament 1157.
Just a side note. It took me about 8 hours labor and cost about $800.
Here is the most recent picture
Here is the most recent picture
 
Back
Top