Will the CB1100 be the last of it's kind in America?

The CB11 is not a relic. But take BMW for example. Look at the bikes they are making. The new R1200R, though expensive, is a great machine. One of us got an R9T. Several friends have BMW 800 and 1200 GS's. Mono shock is better. Just is. My brother and I were talking. Harleys Harleys and more Harleys. Today was a cool day so I took my car ride to Loudon Speedway for the first motorcycle races of the year. What passed me? Full faired Harleys. Mostly I see rice rockets and Harleys. Suzuki is making the new GSX1000S. Kawasaki has the Ninja 1000. In answer to Chip's question though, I think Honda needed more advertising. People don't know how great the CB1100 is. My dealer gave test rides. Most do not. Look at the Engineer's speak section of the World Honda web site. The engineering and development drove up costs. And ask all you DLX owners, the DLX looks nicer. Ferret, TINK et al. Nice looking rigs. The black standard is killer too. JF Coastal - a black beauty, wow. Big air cooled four? They had a tough time passing emissions. But I hope it comes back in whatever form.
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
The CB11 is not a relic. But take BMW for example. Look at the bikes they are making. The new R1200R, though expensive, is a great machine. One of us got an R9T. Several friends have BMW 800 and 1200 GS's. Mono shock is better. Just is. My brother and I were talking. Harleys Harleys and more Harleys. Today was a cool day so I took my car ride to Loudon Speedway for the first motorcycle races of the year. What passed me? Full faired Harleys. Mostly I see rice rockets and Harleys. Suzuki is making the new GSX1000S. Kawasaki has the Ninja 1000. In answer to Chip's question though, I think Honda needed more advertising. People don't know how great the CB1100 is. My dealer gave test rides. Most do not. Look at the Engineer's speak section of the World Honda web site. The engineering and development drove up costs. And ask all you DLX owners, the DLX looks nicer. Ferret, TINK et al. Nice looking rigs. The black standard is killer too. JF Coastal - a black beauty, wow. Big air cooled four? They had a tough time passing emissions. But I hope it comes back in whatever form.
All good points. And that's all I see too, Harley dressers and crotch rockets. Agree that Honda needs to advertise more. And, right or wrong, Honda bikes have the reputation of being a bit boring. Many models can do several things quite fine, but don't WOW you in any category. Kind of like the Honda Accord. Good value, Reliable as all heck, but young people don't consider buying them until they have to! Either way, even with advertising, you're not changing some peoples attitudes- the pirate crowd wants their chrome and noise, and the squids want to pop wheelies and rev at 11,000 all the time.
 
[/QUOTE]

Kind of like the Honda Accord. Good value, Reliable as all heck, but young people don't consider buying them until they have to! Either way, even with advertising, you're not changing some peoples attitudes- the pirate crowd wants their chrome and noise, and the squids want to pop wheelies and rev at 11,000 all the time.
[/QUOTE]

I bought my '91, then '06 Accords because my '79 CB650 had been so reliable and easy to work on. Maintenance at home is EASY. It's almost always just fluid and filters. They offered the V6...but my good experiences are with Honda 4's! The '06 even has VTEC (which isn't bad when you need to get around a truck in a hurry) and hydraulically adjusted valves. The only weakness I see with the CB1100 mechanically is the 8,000 mile valve adjustments (or at least checks). I figure that's about when the tires need replacement too, so maybe I'll just finally give my Honda mechanic some business in about 3,000 miles!

Motorcyclist magazine called the new GSX-S750 "more Bandit than Gixxer." Assuming the "S" stands for street and the "R" for racing...I'll go with the S. I like riding places, eating good food there, and seeing new things. If I preferred seeing and smelling racetracks (also fun), then I'd buy a full-on sportbike. If you had to ride across the continent, would you choose a Bandit or a Gixxer?

In fact, a ton of members here add fairings and windshields that make the bikes look more like the top-faired Bandit, or ZRX. Totally cool and functional. But my particular tastes run to a naked headlight. I think that's why I lusted for ZRX's for years but never bought one. Also, those things REALLY maintain their value (translation: they never got cheap enough for me to buy one). Because there weren't a ton made, and they're comfy and fast sit-up motorcycles, and there's not much else like them. I have little doubt that, in a decade, the CB1100 will be a sought after expensive cult buy, like the GB500 or the Hawk. Too bad I'm just going to ride the snot out of this thing, rather than use it as an investment! They can have it when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
 
Had never heard about the "Pirate" crowd, and the "Squids" crowd. So, what are we? Obviously neither pirate or squid...
 
Most of us, geezer crowd :)
 
What I'm learning from this thread (only 300 DLX imported to the U.S.?!) is that we're a tiny minority of motorcycling who appreciate modern metallurgy and reliability and braking, but like the sound and feel of old bikes. Vintage without the headaches (or cache). In fact, a nice stable-mate to the CB would be a true vintage bike...if I had the time or inclination. But as I age, I realize I really prefer riding to wrenching. I've had my side of the road breakdown adventures. I'm OK if I don't have any more.
 
I don't think that there are poser bikes. Bikes can (most of the time), and will do what they are intended for. The riders can be posers. I have mixed feelings about posers. I don't care much for them, but sometimes I think I'm a bit of a poser myself. I don't over do it, but I'll admit dressing slightly differently when I rode my Harleys, or getting on my Triumph, or my CB. Now you won't catch me with skinny jeans, bottom folded up, with high-top laced leather boots, while riding my Triumph, or in full adventure gears, riding an adventure bike to work, or to the grocery store (I see them all the time), but I will wear my full face helmet on the CB, my half helmet on the Harley, and my retro leather jacket on the Triumph. A little flair of authenticity, and playing the part isn't all that wrong, like embracing the heritage of our ride. It's what makes us happy. I get that some are obsessed (truly or not) with safety, and will tell you that others are irresponsible for not riding their Ducati in full racing one piece $1,500 Valentino Rossi leather suit, but most of us, for practical reasons (more suited to everyday riding life), simply wear jeans, a leather jacket, helmet, and gloves. I say choose those to match your style and your bike, and enjoy the ride, and what you ride.
 
Even if it is the last of its kind, I don't think its reign is over yet. Except for their home market (Japan), there seems to be a two year strategy behind Honda's distribution of the CB before taking a break. They sold it in Australia for two years (2010-1011), then in the US, Canada and Europe for two years (2013-2014). The run in Japan was from 2010 to 2014, with a limited edition of just 200 for 2015. So there does appear to be a marketing plan, including the current break in production. The question is will it come back and if it does will it be the same or have additional changes. It could have just a mix of color changes, spoke wheels, etc. (maybe we will get the EX and Europe will get the DLX), or it could have additional improvements to those already made for 2014. One clue comes from this statement made in CB1100 Engineers Talk: “The engine feel for the 2014 model reflects and refines the opinions of our customers and the R&D Center, and we’ll refine it even further. Maybe it will be a process of going as far as we can, then coming back to the beginning”. IMO, this statement says the CB will definitely be back at some point with further refinements. I also don't believe they would have designed a completely new transmission requiring revised engine cases for just the 2014 model year.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
All bikes come into this world with the ability to ride. The bike only becomes a poser bike after the poser buys it!
Hmmm.

Even the grotesque "customized" ones?

Even the ones with over-the-head apehanger bars?

Even, say, the Chinese cycles, wild and crazy styling and 125-cc air-cooled, carbureted power?

Mostly, I'd agree with what you say here. There are exceptions.
 
The baggers with the 30"+ front wheels are poser bikes to me. Different kinda posing; but poser. Same with riders. But that is their gig so, meh. What ever spins your prop.

I would not be surprised to see someone riding the CB, posing for the retro crowd. At least the CB has the ability to do about anything (within reason) except pose with baggers. :D

Now the CB seems to be selling OK in Japan and Europe, if the US purges its' inventory of '13 and '14s I wonder if there is a chance it will return? I fear the niche that it fills is full (and I think it was filled with the '13 model and a bit shocked the 14 came over) but perhaps it will spark a renewed interest in standards and get people off the horsepower kick and back on the real world riding kick.
 
Rboe_imp said:
The baggers with the 30"+ front wheels are poser bikes to me. Different kinda posing; but poser. Same with riders. But that is their gig so, meh. What ever spins your prop.

I would not be surprised to see someone riding the CB, posing for the retro crowd. At least the CB has the ability to do about anything (within reason) except pose with baggers. :D

Now the CB seems to be selling OK in Japan and Europe, if the US purges its' inventory of '13 and '14s I wonder if there is a chance it will return? I fear the niche that it fills is full (and I think it was filled with the '13 model and a bit shocked the 14 came over) but perhaps it will spark a renewed interest in standards and get people off the horsepower kick and back on the real world riding kick.
The CB1100 is an honest machine.

There's no way to know of everyone who buys one. However, it's not a hyped good...not a "lifestyle" or "identity" product like a Macbook computer or an SUV or...just saying...Harley-Davidson cycles*.

Someone who buys a CB11 for the image and social acceptance, is going to be sorely disappointed. That...or else he'll learn to REALLY love riding for its own sake.

(*Guys, please - I mean no PERSONAL insult. Some H-D riders love to ride. Just as there are Mac owners who know what their computers can do, and need those features and love it. But those ARE "image" choices for many...)
 
Besides the image choice there may be another reason, to buy the above mentioned products as Mac Computer and HD. How about the fact, that you are used to them?

As far as I can remember, I'm working with Macs. That's the reason why I'm buying them. The same may happen to some HD owners. And of course, they probably will like
their motorcycles, as I like my Honda. Or my W, and I don't not had or have in mind, what other people will think about me buying and riding them. Although
I often made the experience, that these modern retros are often well accepted by people, who take a look at my bikes. And I must admit, I appreciate that.

Wisedrum
 
BestStandard_imp said:
Even if it is the last of its kind, I don't think its reign is over yet. Except for their home market (Japan), there seems to be a two year strategy behind Honda's distribution of the CB before taking a break. They sold it in Australia for two years (2010-1011), then in the US, Canada and Europe for two years (2013-2014). The run in Japan was from 2010 to 2014, with a limited edition of just 200 for 2015. So there does appear to be a marketing plan, including the current break in production. The question is will it come back and if it does will it be the same or have additional changes. It could have just a mix of color changes, spoke wheels, etc. (maybe we will get the EX and Europe will get the DLX), or it could have additional improvements to those already made for 2014. One clue comes from this statement made in CB1100 Engineers Talk: “The engine feel for the 2014 model reflects and refines the opinions of our customers and the R&D Center, and we’ll refine it even further. Maybe it will be a process of going as far as we can, then coming back to the beginning”. IMO, this statement says the CB will definitely be back at some point with further refinements. I also don't believe they would have designed a completely new transmission requiring revised engine cases for just the 2014 model year.
I believe you're right. Honda's engineering, testing of motor and gearbox is the heart of their investment, and its unlikely they'll abandon a design/model with so much potential.

The surplus stock of 13's is primarily the result of the intro 14 six speed. And the black 14 surplus stock problem is the the black-on-black paint scheme. Better would have been white on silver or silver on silver, as in Japan.

The 14 DLX is more inline with the target demographics, and will be an easier model to refine within the modern classic trend.
 
Agree with Sig and Best - this will be back. Looking forward to more things from Honda. A new ST (VFR1200 motor?), a VFR800X, revised CB. Apart from the frustrations about some mis-steps, it's a good time to be a motorcyclist and Honda fan.
 
A year or so ago many many folks on this forum lamented that the CB did not come in black. So Honda brings a black bike over and for the most part they sit on the floor. Oops.

Red or white would be better. And faster..... :angel:
 
Ghis_imp said:
I don't think that there are poser bikes. Bikes can (most of the time), and will do what they are intended for. The riders can be posers. I have mixed feelings about posers. I don't care much for them, but sometimes I think I'm a bit of a poser myself. I don't over do it, but I'll admit dressing slightly differently when I rode my Harleys, or getting on my Triumph, or my CB. Now you won't catch me with skinny jeans, bottom folded up, with high-top laced leather boots, while riding my Triumph, or in full adventure gears, riding an adventure bike to work, or to the grocery store (I see them all the time), but I will wear my full face helmet on the CB, my half helmet on the Harley, and my retro leather jacket on the Triumph. A little flair of authenticity, and playing the part isn't all that wrong, like embracing the heritage of our ride. It's what makes us happy. I get that some are obsessed (truly or not) with safety, and will tell you that others are irresponsible for not riding their Ducati in full racing one piece $1,500 Valentino Rossi leather suit, but most of us, for practical reasons (more suited to everyday riding life), simply wear jeans, a leather jacket, helmet, and gloves. I say choose those to match your style and your bike, and enjoy the ride, and what you ride.
Very well said!
I really like JustPassinThru's quote that the CB1100 is "just an honest machine". I completely agree and that is why I bought it. It is an honest motorcycle that looks like a motorcycle should look. Not like a 'machine" a Marvel character (your choice) might ride.
 
BestStandard_imp said:
Even if it is the last of its kind, I don't think its reign is over yet. Except for their home market (Japan), there seems to be a two year strategy behind Honda's distribution of the CB before taking a break. They sold it in Australia for two years (2010-1011), then in the US, Canada and Europe for two years (2013-2014). The run in Japan was from 2010 to 2014, with a limited edition of just 200 for 2015. So there does appear to be a marketing plan, including the current break in production. The question is will it come back and if it does will it be the same or have additional changes. It could have just a mix of color changes, spoke wheels, etc. (maybe we will get the EX and Europe will get the DLX), or it could have additional improvements to those already made for 2014. One clue comes from this statement made in CB1100 Engineers Talk: “The engine feel for the 2014 model reflects and refines the opinions of our customers and the R&D Center, and we’ll refine it even further. Maybe it will be a process of going as far as we can, then coming back to the beginning”. IMO, this statement says the CB will definitely be back at some point with further refinements. I also don't believe they would have designed a completely new transmission requiring revised engine cases for just the 2014 model year.
Very good points.
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
The baggers with the 30"+ front wheels are poser bikes to me. Different kinda posing; but poser. Same with riders. But that is their gig so, meh. What ever spins your prop.

I would not be surprised to see someone riding the CB, posing for the retro crowd. At least the CB has the ability to do about anything (within reason) except pose with baggers. :D

Now the CB seems to be selling OK in Japan and Europe, if the US purges its' inventory of '13 and '14s I wonder if there is a chance it will return? I fear the niche that it fills is full (and I think it was filled with the '13 model and a bit shocked the 14 came over) but perhaps it will spark a renewed interest in standards and get people off the horsepower kick and back on the real world riding kick.
The CB1100 is an honest machine.

There's no way to know of everyone who buys one. However, it's not a hyped good...not a "lifestyle" or "identity" product like a Macbook computer or an SUV or...just saying...Harley-Davidson cycles*.

Someone who buys a CB11 for the image and social acceptance, is going to be sorely disappointed. That...or else he'll learn to REALLY love riding for its own sake.

(*Guys, please - I mean no PERSONAL insult. Some H-D riders love to ride. Just as there are Mac owners who know what their computers can do, and need those features and love it. But those ARE "image" choices for many...)
The CB1100 is an honest machine.

There's no way to know of everyone who buys one. However, it's not a hyped good...not a "lifestyle" or "identity" product like a Macbook computer or an SUV or...just saying...Harley-Davidson cycles*.

Someone who buys a CB11 for the image and social acceptance, is going to be sorely disappointed. That...or else he'll learn to REALLY love riding for its own sake.

(*Guys, please - I mean no PERSONAL insult. Some H-D riders love to ride. Just as there are Mac owners who know what their computers can do, and need those features and love it. But those ARE "image" choices for many...)
Very good points. We also have to consider people who push their love of motorcycles to transforming them into works of art. There is such a thing as motorcycle as an art form. Most of the time these bikes are rideable, and sometimes not.
 
I respectfully disagree about emissions being the primary factor in discontinuing air-cooled engines. A factor - yes, but the real big push for water cooling is because of the desire for more horsepower and larger displacement motors. Gasoline engines are roughly 30% efficient - that means 70% of the energy ends up in heat that has to be transferred away.

Catalytic converters have made it easier to meet emissions standards, but they do reduce power output, which the manufacturers have addressed by increasing displacements and generating more heat energy to radiate away.

As engines make more power, more heat is generated and water cooling is used because the radiators have much larger cooling areas than engine fins. Note that water-cooled engines are also air-cooled. The water simply conducts the heat out to the radiator were it is cooled by air-flow. The coolant does not actually cool anything - it simply conducts the heat away from the engine. In some ways, it works similarly to a home air conditioner that conducts the heat to the outside of the house.

Engines have grown much larger over the last 40 years. A 650 used to be a big bike. Now, even so-called adventure bikes are 1200cc or bigger. More displacement equals more heat to radiate to the air.

Water cooling has a second advantage in that the coolant reduces noise radiated by the engine. Fins tend to radiate noise and motorcycle must meet noise standards.

There are more efficient methods of moving heat to radiators than water but they are expensive and somewhat caustic. Communications satellites use heat-pipes, which use chemicals like ammonia to move heat from electronics to radiators. The ammonia is liquid when cold and vapor when hot and is much more efficient than water or anti-freeze.

I still think air-cooled engines have a future, especially in smaller engines.
 
Back
Top