Will the CB1100 be the last of it's kind in America?

I'm never really sure how tall I am, but let's say around 5'7". I know I have a 30" inseam. Frankly it gives me the sh*ts that so many bikes are too tall to sit on comfortably.

Randy Newman has a lot to answer for.

On topic: I'm with Capo. I don't think Honda is at all ready to give up on the CB1100, although I'm not optimistic about seeing it in Australia again.
 
It "feels" like Honda spent too much R&D on the CB to only make it available in the U.S. for two years. But as someone pointed out earlier, the last one to hit our shores is now a three year old model. Surely we haven't seen the end of it. Have we?
 
Meh.. Vw spent a LOT on the Phaeton, but only sold a few thousand in the U.S. Makes the money honda spent seen like a singular gum ball in comparison.

You can still buy brand new '14 CB1100 from the dealer. I don't think Honda is bringing them back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yet you can drive a few hundred miles north of my location in the midwest and buy a new 2016 in Canada.
 
If Honda still hasn't sold their 2014 new inventory, why would they plan on a 2017 model for the USA market?

I wouldn't trade my '13 for any of the CB concepts that I've seen.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
If Honda still hasn't sold their 2014 new inventory, why would they plan on a 2017 model for the USA market?

I wouldn't trade my '13 for any of the CB concepts that I've seen.
I agree, they are too ugly.:D

Wisedrum
 
It is a very unique bike, but does not appeal to many buyers. It will maintain a modest value, but I seriously doubt it will be back to the US in it's present form.
 
When Honda first surveyed the riding public about the CB1100, I was hooked. I saw air cooled in-line dohc four, twin shock, chain drive, triple discs and classic styling. All I asked for in my survey response was a price point of 10K.
Honda delivered, and I kept my side of the bargain. I bought one.
I have been a rider and a Honda owner since the late sixties, so what works for me does not appeal to a majority of riders today. But that's okay.
This will be my last ride. When I'm done, it goes to my eldest son. And he can't wait.
 
The CB1100 is a phenomenal motorcycle. It's a far better motorcycle than it sounds on paper, and a far better motorcycle than it looks in a showroom. It's also, in my opinion, a far better *new* motorcycle at the price I ended up paying than it would have been at MSRP.

I'd bet that the average CB1100 buyer has ridden lots of different bikes in the past; enough to have reached some subtle conclusions about what we want a motorcycle to do and be. The kids coming up today might just need to work through a few bikes before they're ready for the plush splendor of a 550lb air-cooled 4. And that's fine.

I don't think the 'modern classic' bike segment is ever likely to go away completely, whether or not there's a Honda UJM in the mix during any particular model year. Personally, I hope Ducati re-releases the Paul Smart a few more times over the next few decades.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I am a dinosaur yes, a velociraptor!

It's unlikely the UJM "as we know it" will make much more of a presence in motorcycle inventories,(it's possible Suz, Kaw and Yam will bring big air cooled 4's in, they have them, just have to wait and see) but UJMs/Standards have actually had a pretty good run the last 14 years spurred on IMO when John Bloor brought back the Bonneville.(hard to believe it's been 14 years already) . Triumph (bonnevilles and scramblers), Moto Guzzi (several V7models plus the new California), Royal Enfield (several models), Kawasaki (W650 and 800), Ducati (GT 1000 and Scrambler) of course Harley Davidson (XL883), Yamaha (SR 400) and BMW (R1200R Classic and R9T) have all been making air cooled motors with basically upright ergos and bench type seats for years now... but....

Just as hair styles, clothes, music and movie genres change, so do motorcycles. Tomorrows UJM's are todays ADV's and their ilk. Powerful, comfortable, canyon carving, sport touring, touring, commuting do pretty much anything pretty well machines. They will never be simple again. The new customer base is demanding more and more electronics and just like my Honda pick-up is closer to a Cadillac CTS in amenities than it was to my old Chev C-10, even though one is fancier, and infinitely more complicated, in the end they are both pick-ups.

Chip, I think both of our son's drive Ducati Monsters with Termioni's. In 30 years, when they look back, those will be their classics. Heck in 30 years anything with an ICE may be considered a classic lol
I put on the leather jacket and gloves, full face helmet and crank up one of the coolest motorcycles ever made.....and no one knows how old I am! (only my plastic Surgeon) LOL
 
Back
Top