Why no more inline-4-CB1100-sibling "standards" from Honda?

Papa Weeley_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
There's been a lot of talk on here lately about the old Nighthawk 750, and it got me to wondering: especially since Honda did such a beautiful job with the CB1100, why don't they offer any other inline-4 standard/UJM bikes now? They've got a great line of both Sport and Supersport inline-4s to draw on, including the new CBR650F, which, from the sounds of the specs would make a great engine to build around, yet the CB1100 is the only member of the "naked" family for Honda. With all the nostalgia for classic looks these days, it seems like a mid-size would be a natural progression, and a slightly smaller size that a lot of people might prefer, the perfect direction to pursue.
Any thoughts?
 
Been tried. The 599 and 919 didn't sell too well, evidently, and now the current fashion in small cc bikes is parallel twins. Here Honda offers the CB500 family of bikes as well as variations of the NC700 engined bikes.
 
I think Papa was thinking something a bit more retro than the 599 and 919, though I think your comment is still relevant DAC.

It'll be interesting to see how the re-released SR400 does...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
the have the cb1100, cb1000r, cb500f, and kinda the cbr650f

a lot more naked options than 5 years ago, thats for sure!
actually i was thinking more naked than standard. i wish they'd bring the cb1300 over here...or a new cbx!
 
12cb96vfr what year cb1000r do you have? I bought a new white 13 model a couple of months ago. Got a yoshimura 3/4 carbon in today put it on sounds great. I got a shad 45 top box with the sport kit take off the rear seat and pop on the sport kit in seconds. It's a fun bike to ride :)
 
redbirds_imp said:
Bring back the CBX. I'll be first in line. Hey, BMW's making an in-line six now so why not Honda.
An air-cooled inline 6 is a different beast altogether, and not sure it would even be achievable with today's emissions requirements. That was a hell of a lot of heat to dissipate without a catalytic converter or running lean 14+:1 air/fuel ratios. People think the CB11 is expensive, that thing would cost a ton...

I agree that it would be awesome though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
grover_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Bring back the CBX. I'll be first in line. Hey, BMW's making an in-line six now so why not Honda.
An air-cooled inline 6 is a different beast altogether, and not sure it would even be achievable with today's emissions requirements. That was a hell of a lot of heat to dissipate without a catalytic converter or running lean 14+:1 air/fuel ratios. People think the CB11 is expensive, that thing would cost a ton...

I agree that it would be awesome though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An air-cooled inline 6 is a different beast altogether, and not sure it would even be achievable with today's emissions requirements. That was a hell of a lot of heat to dissipate without a catalytic converter or running lean 14+:1 air/fuel ratios. People think the CB11 is expensive, that thing would cost a ton...

I agree that it would be awesome though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't expect it to be air cooled for the reasons you mention. With water jackets and good engineering it would not be much wider than a four. Just give it the traditional styling of the original CBX.
 
I don't think they can sell enough of the 1100's to justify it. Just because us codgers like the idea the world and motorcycle world in particular is on a different path. I'm just happy they made this CB model. The retro world for our era isn't for long, soon it will be the late 80s early 90s stuff that's retro.
 
And they still sell the new cb400 in the Australian market, which is a great little zippy inline 4 naked, like a mini cb1300.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Ditto...and I keep trolling Ebay and sale listings for an old CB400. Love the look of that little bike. I probably wouldn't be happy with the power after 4+ decades of riding sportbikes and literbikes, but dang those were cool looking!
I still think a new CB750 would be bitchin'. Think a 3/4 to 7/8 size CB1100 with somewhere around the same HP...mmmm, baby!
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Ditto...and I keep trolling Ebay and sale listings for an old CB400. Love the look of that little bike. I probably wouldn't be happy with the power after 4+ decades of riding sportbikes and literbikes, but dang those were cool looking!
I still think a new CB750 would be bitchin'. Think a 3/4 to 7/8 size CB1100 with somewhere around the same HP...mmmm, baby!
I just sold my 78 CB400T (and my CB900C) to make room for the CB1100. Very nice, but you are right, you won't be cruising at 75MPH, and it felt like a bicycle with a motor. Very light. Funny how spoiled we can get. 35 years ago it would have been all you needed. And we remember the good points, not usually the negatives of our past rides.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Ditto...and I keep trolling Ebay and sale listings for an old CB400. Love the look of that little bike. I probably wouldn't be happy with the power after 4+ decades of riding sportbikes and literbikes, but dang those were cool looking!
I still think a new CB750 would be bitchin'. Think a 3/4 to 7/8 size CB1100 with somewhere around the same HP...mmmm, baby!
I just sold my 78 CB400T (and my CB900C) to make room for the CB1100. Very nice, but you are right, you won't be cruising at 75MPH, and it felt like a bicycle with a motor. Very light. Funny how spoiled we can get. 35 years ago it would have been all you needed. And we remember the good points, not usually the negatives of our past rides.
I just sold my 78 CB400T (and my CB900C) to make room for the CB1100. Very nice, but you are right, you won't be cruising at 75MPH, and it felt like a bicycle with a motor. Very light. Funny how spoiled we can get. 35 years ago it would have been all you needed. And we remember the good points, not usually the negatives of our past rides.

LOL. That's for sure!
The CB550 I had just a couple of years ago seemed like a 20hp little buzz bomb. I was so disappointed...it was like seeing your prom date from high school decades later...and things aren't exactly as how you remembered them back then. ;)
 
Back
Top