Sayonara to the CB1100, with an exit interview.

Strength = Heavy, no? Or, more expensive materials. How is a moto gp bike so light? Money. 1100cc's. Inline. Heavy. Or you start with the motor and start hacking parts off; fenders, exhaust, hang the motor in the frame, or?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
whew..ok lets examine the FACTs shall we

as you stated above the original CB 750 made 67 hp and weighed 499 pounds

the CB1100 std, like you had, weighed 545 pounds and made 84 hp

the original Triumph Bonneville weighed 365 pounds and made 45 hp

the Street Cup like you just bought weighs 440 pounds and makes 53 hp

So the CB gained 46 pounds over the original.. the Street Cup gained 75 pounds over the original

The CB gained 17 hp over the original and the Street Cup gained 8 hp

The CB gained not quite 1/2 as much weight and gained twice as much hp as compared to the Triumph

The CB gained 350cc the Street Cup 250 cc in displacement

The extra 100cc from the enlarged Honda engine nets you 21 hp over the enlarged Triumph engine

I agree getting 84 hp out of an 1100 isn't all that much, but getting only 53 hp out of a 900cc engine is worse wouldn't you say? But even worse is the 75 pound weight gain.

and for the record on my 2013 std I routinely went 180 miles on the tank before starting to look for a gas station, so a 200 mile range was certainly doable for me. Many here are getting more than 50 mpg out of their CB's, some in the low 60's.
whew..ok lets examine the FACTs shall we

as you stated above the original CB 750 made 67 hp and weighed 499 pounds

the CB1100 std, like you had, weighed 545 pounds and made 84 hp

the original Triumph Bonneville weighed 365 pounds and made 45 hp

the Street Cup like you just bought weighs 440 pounds and makes 53 hp

So the CB gained 46 pounds over the original.. the Street Cup gained 75 pounds over the original

The CB gained 17 hp over the original and the Street Cup gained 8 hp

The CB gained not quite 1/2 as much weight and gained twice as much hp as compared to the Triumph

The CB gained 350cc the Street Cup 250 cc in displacement

The extra 100cc from the enlarged Honda engine nets you 21 hp over the enlarged Triumph engine

I agree getting 84 hp out of an 1100 isn't all that much, but getting only 53 hp out of a 900cc engine is worse wouldn't you say? But even worse is the 75 pound weight gain.

and for the record on my 2013 std I routinely went 180 miles on the tank before starting to look for a gas station, so a 200 mile range was certainly doable for me. Many here are getting more than 50 mpg out of their CB's, some in the low 60's.
:thumbsup: :thanks: :thumbsup:
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
...one line later:

Ulvetanna_imp said:
The above seems incongruous but I think I understand where you're coming from: if one is happy with the bike, what matter "sales success"? But you've got some concrete ideas that you're sharing for how Honda could improve sales and these ideas happen to coincide with your wishes for the bike, or maybe vice versa.

My take: 1. cost...yes, initially too expensive for me. Back in 2013 I saw the msrp over 10k for the standard and I simply decided too much $$$ for me at that time. Told myself if it were 8k, I would buy it.

2. size: I'm tall, so my first impression was that the ergos were off for me. But I knew some of that could be tweaked.

3. Weight: I was determined to find, or thought I was, a bike in the 450lb range.

4. Color: I don't like red bikes

5. CC and HP: not too concerned as long as it pulled fine and was "big enough" to do some cross country travel.

6. Looks: this bike has it.

7. spoke wheels: wanted a bike w/out, all others I've owned previous being spoked

So...when the '14 std came out: wasn't red (really wanted the Canadian blue), weight was somewhat less than DLX, wheels-check, but price was still too high...then it started falling in price, and falling. Fell to just under 8k for me. But now--a year ago--the Street Twin was out there for 1k more and the MG V7 was selling in my area for 6k! Ducati Scrambler was right there too. Tough choices. I think I could have been happy with all of them, but I chose the CB because it seemed the best quality for price of the group. All of them were attractive bikes that would allow me to do what I wanted, but all had "I wish it did/didn't have ___".

Now a year, 8k miles, and one rt OR to Illinois trip later, I'm still happy with the bike. I wish it were lighter, taller, or me shorter, valves easier, sound a bit more gruntier maybe...but it's an awesome bike, no real regrets. I found that 70 lbs I didn't want made it a very nice bike for long distance travel as I braced for winds of the plains last summer. I would have found other things I liked more with the other bikes, I would have found things I liked less than the CB1100.

Have a Happy New Year!
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
When your choices at odds with one another it can make things confusing. I won't say that the CB1100 is a lightweight motorcycle by any means and I'm not trying to argue that it is. But your mention of this now strikes me as bit odd. I say this because no one around here worked harder to convince us that the CB1100 is truly a sport bike than yourself. Now you're stating that it's an overweight bike that is good for riding at conservative, fuel-saving speeds and savoring the scenery.

Let's face it, few things are better at casting a shadow on an existing object than the beam of light shining down on the shiny new object of desire. On that note I'll add this: You've shared a lot of great things with us about the Street Cup and the Z650. I'm guessing that at some point down the road a number of these things will still hold true for you. But based on your exit interview I'm also guessing that their flaws will be revealed around the time you've found your next bike to buy.
 
While I'd like the CB1100 (or almost any bike) to be 50 pounds lighter, I think it's a stretch to assert that lowering the weight by 50 pounds would have made a lot more sales. I do believe your other assertion, that sales would be higher if the price was $1000 lower. Can't support either with data, though.

I like the CB1100 how it is. I know I pay a premium for what I consider the benefits of an aircooled in-line 4, and I'm good with that. I like it as an 1100, too. I think it's actually a nicely compact package for its displacement.

What the CB could really use, though, is at least one other family member, say a 650-900cc version with a slightly lower seat height and 40-60 or so pounds less weight. This, I'm confident, would bring more sales, as I know of people who couldn't resist the CBs siren song, but wanted it in a slightly smaller size. Also, this big brother, littler brother (smaller displacement, weight, size) approach worked well in the CB 4-cyl hierarchy of old, and it works well for Triumph twins now.
 
Ufff... (wiping sweat from my brow and bald head).

This thread made me grateful for the fact that I don't know enough about motorcycles, thus I can love my CB unconditionally.

Wish you the best with your new toys, Ulvie! Ride long and prosper. :biker:
 
I don't think an argument about weight or hp is terribly relevant for a bike like the CB, just as I don't think it's relevant for a full-dress Harley. I don't think the target demographic of either bike is necessarily concerned about specs, or they would have purchased something else. Instead, they're attracted to the bike because of how it makes them feel, brand heritage / loyalty, perceived quality, etc. Both are competent at what they were designed to accomplish, without pretense or illusion. And I don't even care for Harleys.

Without knowing the facts, I don't understand how the CB can be characterized as a sales failure. Generally, based on the comments I've read here, the folks that own them, love them. How many products have that kind of following? Honda should be proud of what they've built.
 
Well said, LongRanger, Rolls, Guth, Ferret, Nemo, pdese, et al...

Ulve, I think people here are disagreeing with your take on the CB and Honda sales in an extremely polite way. Now it's my turn.....
You are certainly free to post wherever you want and I am free to ignore said posts...BUT I for one am really sick of you bashing Honda and the CB1100 in particular here. It's size, it's weight, it's HP, 'they should have done this'.. 'why didn't they do that?' .... yada yada yada....Maybe you like getting under people's skin, I don't know, but why not go to a Triumph, Sym, or whatever forum of whatever bike is the neatest thing THIS week and bash the CB all you want? I too, have a new Triumph but I save my "golly gee this is a great bike" for the Triumph forum out of respect.

Just something I felt I needed to get off my chest. Now I feel better thank you.

EDIT: In the business world, exit interviews are at the request of the administration. You don't get to just walk into the boss' office and start spouting off. You have to be asked for your 2c. This thread you started is more like an extended rant.
 
Every rider is different (more so than with any other type of vehicle).
That said, I LOVE my 2014 CB1100DX! It fits me perfectly (I am 6ft 2101b ... mostly muscle of course). Its about 70 1bs heavier than my 750 Nighthawk and that's one of the things I like about. It is so flipping smooth at high speeds (highways, biways, freeways) and it also accelerates nicely when I need to pass those goof ball packs of 4+ wheel vehicles. For me, its also very nimble even at low speeds, slow turns, and parking. Plus ... "It's A Honda" :). In the end, it just great to be a rider having fun and staying out of trouble. Peace to all my fellow brother and sister riders. Ride on!
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Well said, LongRanger, Rolls, Guth, Ferret, Nemo, pdese, et al...

Ulve, I think people here are disagreeing with your take on the CB and Honda sales in an extremely polite way. Now it's my turn.....
You are certainly free to post wherever you want and I am free to ignore said posts...BUT I for one am really sick of you bashing Honda and the CB1100 in particular here. It's size, it's weight, it's HP, 'they should have done this'.. 'why didn't they do that?' .... yada yada yada....Maybe you like getting under people's skin, I don't know, but why not go to a Triumph, Sym, or whatever forum of whatever bike is the neatest thing THIS week and bash the CB all you want? I too, have a new Triumph but I save my "golly gee this is a great bike" for the Triumph forum out of respect.

Just something I felt I needed to get off my chest. Now I feel better thank you.

EDIT: In the business world, exit interviews are at the request of the administration. You don't get to just walk into the boss' office and start spouting off. You have to be asked for your 2c. This thread you started is more like an extended rant.
"I think people here are disagreeing with your take on the CB and Honda sales in an extremely polite way. Now it's my turn....."
:thumbsup: :thanks:

Thank heavens I'm not alone in my thinking, and IMHO, someone FINALLY says what needs to be said!

"BUT I for one am really sick of you bashing Honda and the CB1100 in particular here."

:thumbsup: :thanks:

I've been biting my tongue, and refraining from comment; I'm glad I did as Ferret's, Guth's, ClassicVW's, as well as many other forum members comments and observations about this "exit interview," more aptly titled an "extended rant," are PERFECTION, and I couldn't have expressed them better.

Per Ferret's comments, "Honda made this motorcycle EXACTLY how they wanted to make it," and for me, our beloved CB is PERFECT, just the way it is, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Season's Greetings, and Happy New Year to a terrific group. I'm honored and privileged to participate in this wonderful forum, which is the best I've ever been a part of; a million thanks to Guth for making it possible. :worship: :thanks:
 
The CB is what it is. When I first got it I was a little disappointed with a thing or two but the quality and looks of the bike kept me happy. I've been more than satisfied with it. I think Triumph went in an excellent direction. I really love some of the new Triumphs and think they nailed it. Hopefully the new CB will do well. I'm more of an RS type of guy so when it comes out in will give it a good look depending on price. I have been looking at the new Triumphs pretty hard too. I know everyone loves their bikes and nobody wants to hear bashing but some of the said gripes are real and it is an open forum. Opinions are welcome even though they may not all want to be heard. I wasn't totally overwhelmed with the performance factor of the CB at first being that it is an 1100 cc bike and also the fact that it had a speed limiter but like I said, it is what it is. What you lack in one thing you gain in another. I'm in no rush to replace my current 2014 std.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Remember that all these statements are subject to opinion and what holds true to one may be completely different for another. This bike can do it all for one and nothing for another and it doesn't make it right or wrong just different for different people.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
physics-teacher_imp said:
Good ol' Ferret, sticking up again for that indefensible fat pig, the CB1100! (ha, ha!) But for those who think the CB too heavy, just what parts do you think of taking off? Or substituting titanium, etc? I've got it! Those fenders should be plastic! The gas tank, too! Now make the headlight smaller, like my Spotster! But whoops.. there goes the look we admire, the 1970s 80s look. Here comes yet another beast with a wasp stinger instead of a rear fender that might actually do you some good and an engine that looks like the plumbing department at Home Depot.
:rofl:
 
Let's cut the guy some slack. He has decided to sell his CB and get something else. Hundreds of choices out there. I hope he finds something that makes him happy. In the real world it will have no impact on any of us. No need to become adversarial. I owned a Can Am Spyder, joined Spyder Lovers.com. lot's of nice people, sold the trike, some gave me a bunch of crap because I detailed the things about it that I thought BRP should have corrected. Members tend to be fiercely loyal to what they own and think any other opinion is wrong, I'm still a member because I like a few of the members. Moral is that motorcycles are very personal items, if you lose the love it's time to move on. No reason to become enemy's over a machine.
 
(Not speaking about you or anyone else in particular)

You don't sell a motorcycle and then go on that bike's forum and bash the crap out of it. To what end? We get it, you realize it wasn't what you now want, where you now are motorcycle-wise. You sold it. But there WAS a time you thought it was fine because you did your homework and then you bought it.

Move on gracefully. No need to crap all over a bike to the very people that love it, then wonder why they don't agree with you. THEY'RE the ones who deserve some slack.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
(Not speaking about you or anyone else in particular)

You don't sell a motorcycle and then go on that bike's forum and bash the crap out of it. To what end? We get it, you realize it wasn't what you now want, where you now are motorcycle-wise. You sold it. But there WAS a time you thought it was fine because you did your homework and then you bought it.

Move on gracefully. No need to crap all over a bike to the very people that love it, then wonder why they don't agree with you. THEY'RE the ones who deserve some slack.
:thumbsup: :thanks:
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
(Not speaking about you or anyone else in particular)

You don't sell a motorcycle and then go on that bike's forum and bash the crap out of it. To what end? We get it, you realize it wasn't what you now want, where you now are motorcycle-wise. You sold it. But there WAS a time you thought it was fine because you did your homework and then you bought it.

Move on gracefully. No need to crap all over a bike to the very people that love it, then wonder why they don't agree with you. THEY'RE the ones who deserve some slack.
Hawkeye_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
(Not speaking about you or anyone else in particular)

You don't sell a motorcycle and then go on that bike's forum and bash the crap out of it. To what end? We get it, you realize it wasn't what you now want, where you now are motorcycle-wise. You sold it. But there WAS a time you thought it was fine because you did your homework and then you bought it.

Move on gracefully. No need to crap all over a bike to the very people that love it, then wonder why they don't agree with you. THEY'RE the ones who deserve some slack.
:thumbsup: :thanks:
:thumbsup: :thanks:
Guess I better keep my mouth shut from now on. :beerchug: :rofl:
 
The customary way to inform other forum members that you are leaving the fold is to make a post with a title like, "Sold My CB1100". Then you offer a brief explanation of why you moved on from the bike and what bike(s) you are moving to and some brief insight as to why. Typically, the other forum members will offer comments like, "Sorry to see you go, hope you enjoy the new ride!"

You don't make post after argumentative post trying to prove that the remaining owners have their heads planted firmly in a dark spot.
 
Sam Mac_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
(Not speaking about you or anyone else in particular)

You don't sell a motorcycle and then go on that bike's forum and bash the crap out of it. To what end? We get it, you realize it wasn't what you now want, where you now are motorcycle-wise. You sold it. But there WAS a time you thought it was fine because you did your homework and then you bought it.

Move on gracefully. No need to crap all over a bike to the very people that love it, then wonder why they don't agree with you. THEY'RE the ones who deserve some slack.
Hawkeye_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
(Not speaking about you or anyone else in particular)

You don't sell a motorcycle and then go on that bike's forum and bash the crap out of it. To what end? We get it, you realize it wasn't what you now want, where you now are motorcycle-wise. You sold it. But there WAS a time you thought it was fine because you did your homework and then you bought it.

Move on gracefully. No need to crap all over a bike to the very people that love it, then wonder why they don't agree with you. THEY'RE the ones who deserve some slack.
:thumbsup: :thanks:
:thumbsup: :thanks:
Guess I better keep my mouth shut from now on. :beerchug: :rofl:
No Sam. You make some valid points that I agree with. I have nothing against someone feeling that a bike isn't for them after buying one.
 
We had a guy on the F800GT forum two years ago who had been a very loyal and enthusiastic owner but got a wild hair and traded his BMW for a Triumph 800XC on a whim. From that point forward, his posts became increasingly derogatory, critical, and argumentative, all in favor of his new-found bike. He continued with his trolling and tirades for about a month before he was finally ignored and he stomped off. Too bad too, because until he bought the Triumph, he was a respected contributor and offered valuable experiences and insights. Very strange, and unfortunate. What is it with motorcycle forums?
 
Back
Top