Sayonara to the CB1100, with an exit interview.

I don't find the issue to be 'crapping on' the CB. These are legitimate discussions with varying points of view regarding the bike, it's positives and negatives, and it's success in the market. By owners. Don't get butt hurt over it.

Let's look at it from a different viewpoint. This topic and others like it are, by far, the most popular ones on the board as of late. Where are all the tech, performance, modification and bike- centric topics and posts in this forum? Kinda slim lately. Maybe you can only talk about Road Comets and seats just so much. Or count spokes.

This is a single- model forum with a modest number of regular posters, for a bike that is pretty straight forward and less- than -diverse in its model range. With forum rules that encourage a laser focus on the CB. In that context, one should expect some heat once in a while.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I've seen most of y'all's pictures...not sure if we should be discussing weight at all. ;)
:rofl::rofl: How did I ever miss this gem? Hilarious.

(And look, I *told* ya, I'm gonna lose that 30 pounds!)
 
LongRanger_imp said:
We had a guy on the F800GT forum two years ago who had been a very loyal and enthusiastic owner but got a wild hair and traded his BMW for a Triumph 800XC on a whim. From that point forward, his posts became increasingly derogatory, critical, and argumentative, all in favor of his new-found bike. He continued with his trolling and tirades for about a month before he was finally ignored and he stomped off. Too bad too, because until he bought the Triumph, he was a respected contributor and offered valuable experiences and insights. Very strange, and unfortunate. What is it with motorcycle forums?
Rationalization is a powerful human drive. We never want to admit we made a mistake, e.g. buying a bike that we ended up not liking, so we blame everything but ourselves for either a) not understanding our own needs and preferences or b) not fully vetting the bike to determine if it would meet our expectations.

Rather than admit those two things, many people will go to great lengths to deceive themselves, and one of their tools of self-deception is to engage in efforts to convince others of a view that they themselves don't fully accept.
 
If it is a legitmate discussion, and you truly believe your points are valid, why delete them? because your opinions are unpopular?

He certainly was opinionated, but then again so am I (but I probably don't have to tell you all that). If you believe in what you are saying, popular or not, stand behind your words.

That said, the posts are gone, we have no way of retrieving them, and I have a feeling it will cause some changes to at least one way that the forum is run in the future.
 
I guess the important thing is we don't lose sight of really super brilliant ideas that come out of civil discourse, like this one from an amicable, but very insightful poster...

Rolls_imp said:
While I'd like the CB1100 (or almost any bike) to be 50 pounds lighter, I think it's a stretch to assert that lowering the weight by 50 pounds would have made a lot more sales. I do believe your other assertion, that sales would be higher if the price was $1000 lower. Can't support either with data, though.

I like the CB1100 how it is. I know I pay a premium for what I consider the benefits of an aircooled in-line 4, and I'm good with that. I like it as an 1100, too. I think it's actually a nicely compact package for its displacement.

What the CB could really use, though, is at least one other family member, say a 650-900cc version with a slightly lower seat height and 40-60 or so pounds less weight. This, I'm confident, would bring more sales, as I know of people who couldn't resist the CBs siren song, but wanted it in a slightly smaller size. Also, this big brother, littler brother (smaller displacement, weight, size) approach worked well in the CB 4-cyl hierarchy of old, and it works well for Triumph twins now.
 
Had a really weird dream about bowling balls last night that really mirrored this thread. Someday, maybe at the rally, I will tell y'all about it. I can tell you this, it was funny and we were all being lectured about why we made a mistake buying black 16 pound bowling balls instead of white and green 14 pound balls, or the red and white 10 pound balls. Cracked me up.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Had a really weird dream about bowling balls last night that really mirrored this thread. Someday, maybe at the rally, I will tell y'all about it. I can tell you this, it was funny and we were all being lectured about why we made a mistake buying black 16 pound bowling balls instead of white and green 14 pound balls, or the red and white 10 pound balls. Cracked me up.
This makes me want to watch The Big Lebowski yet again!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Capo_imp said:
I don't find the issue to be 'crapping on' the CB. These are legitimate discussions with varying points of view regarding the bike, it's positives and negatives, and it's success in the market. By owners. Don't get butt hurt over it.

Let's look at it from a different viewpoint. This topic and others like it are, by far, the most popular ones on the board as of late. Where are all the tech, performance, modification and bike- centric topics and posts in this forum? Kinda slim lately. Maybe you can only talk about Road Comets and seats just so much. Or count spokes.

This is a single- model forum with a modest number of regular posters, for a bike that is pretty straight forward and less- than -diverse in its model range. With forum rules that encourage a laser focus on the CB. In that context, one should expect some heat once in a while.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite right. Ulvetanna had some views about the CB1100 and he expressed them forcefully. Good for him. No one here has to agree with him, although some agreed with some of his points. He wasn't 'crapping on the bike'; rather he pointed to some things he didn't like about it.

I'm sorry his posts are gone. They formed a record of a generally interesting conversation which none of us ought to be afraid to have. We each know why we like the bike. Right?
 
To be accurate , the Street Cup is 440 lbs DRY weight. Add about 35 lbs for 3.2 gallons of gas (19.84 lbs), a gallon of oil (7.2 lbs) and a gallon (a guess) of 50% ethylene glycol (8 lbs). Now we are up to 475 lbs.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
I don't find the issue to be 'crapping on' the CB. These are legitimate discussions with varying points of view regarding the bike, it's positives and negatives, and it's success in the market. By owners. Don't get butt hurt over it.

Let's look at it from a different viewpoint. This topic and others like it are, by far, the most popular ones on the board as of late. Where are all the tech, performance, modification and bike- centric topics and posts in this forum? Kinda slim lately. Maybe you can only talk about Road Comets and seats just so much. Or count spokes.

This is a single- model forum with a modest number of regular posters, for a bike that is pretty straight forward and less- than -diverse in its model range. With forum rules that encourage a laser focus on the CB. In that context, one should expect some heat once in a while.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite right. Ulvetanna had some views about the CB1100 and he expressed them forcefully. Good for him. No one here has to agree with him, although some agreed with some of his points. He wasn't 'crapping on the bike'; rather he pointed to some things he didn't like about it.

I'm sorry his posts are gone. They formed a record of a generally interesting conversation which none of us ought to be afraid to have. We each know why we like the bike. Right?
Quite right. Ulvetanna had some views about the CB1100 and he expressed them forcefully. Good for him. No one here has to agree with him, although some agreed with some of his points. He wasn't 'crapping on the bike'; rather he pointed to some things he didn't like about it.

I'm sorry his posts are gone. They formed a record of a generally interesting conversation which none of us ought to be afraid to have. We each know why we like the bike. Right?

I concur.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The only correction I would make in Cormanus's statement above is that Ulvetanna only rarely "pointed to some things he didn't like about the bike", but rather pointed out what was wrong with the bike. His habit of stating opinion as fact grated on me from his first posts until his last, although he made some interesting and important points if I looked between the grates. As of my last check, he only removed posts on a couple of threads so we can still read most of his posts about riding, racing, and motorcycle history which were, for the most part, informative and entertaining.
 
every forum EVERY forum has a pompous know it all
don't let the door hit ya Ulv

I know there are millions of people smarter than I
I just don't need a daily reminder
 
I think the problem here goes beyond criticism being leveled at the CB1100 or enthusiasm being shared for other bikes. I'm definitely okay with criticism of the CB1100. For that matter I've shared my own here now and again. While the CB1100 might not end up being the right fit for everyone and some will move on to other bikes, they can still participate here if they like. Yes, this place is focused on the CB1100, but people have long been encouraged to share their enthusiasm for other bikes and motorcycling in general. I created an appropriately named sub-forum for just that reason. That enthusiasm might not always be fully matched by everyone, but I still enjoy reading about other bikes and related experiences as seen through the eyes of other members here.

The core problem with this thread for me (and the content contained in a few others recently) is trying to determine the intent behind a number of the posts (some of which have been deleted by the author). Honest criticism is one thing, it might be a bit hard to swallow at times, but that's okay. When things feel like someone's more determined to stir the pot rather than simply sharing honest criticism then it it is not going to be received as well.

In this case, we have someone who up until just a couple of weeks ago worked very hard to convince us of certain things regarding the capabilities of the CB1100, to the point that things bordered on becoming contentious at times. Now we're left dealing with some criticisms of the bike on his part that were seemingly in contradiction with what he had to share before. In effect, this tends to somewhat discredit any other opinions he wanted to express. Finally, all of the above was delivered in a style that was often rather pompous which certainly didn't help with the overall reception of the message being delivered. All of which leaves a few of us somewhat disappointed in one way or another and maybe just a bit more worse for wear, but hopefully everyone is still willing to carry on. :biker:
 
From the linked interview:

"Fukunaga:
'There is so much more to the CB1100 than what's in the plans, and I hope that the rider will feel, and enjoy, the passion that has gone into it.'"

Honda nailed this on the same level as HD does.

That's something that the OP had no understanding of.
 
Back
Top