Why no immobilizer for US bikes?

jimilivz_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Could it really be simply dollars that Honda elected to deprive US CB's of the immobilizer security feature?

I realize it is a retro themed machine, but I simply can't imagine anyone not wanting, or being willing to pay a few extra bucks for such a useful modern amenity.

Hey Honda, at least make an upgrade kit available.
 
If you are talking about the HISS system, I have no desire for one. I'm happy with my key, fork lock and a cable while on trips.

I've read both Kawasaki and BMW owners have had issues with their HISS systems not allowing their bikes to start.
 
Thread starter
Not sure what the "HISS" system consists of. I am basically talking about a coded key, that needs to be in the switch or the machine is electronically dead.

I even like the Harley system with the fob.
 
As far as I know, the HISS system is as you say, jimilivz: a coded key that has to be in the ignition (or maybe just near to it) or the bike won't start. Honda's been using it for at least 8 years that I know of and I've had no trouble with it on either of two bikes I've had with it. Nor have I heard of problems with it. Why not have the extra layer of security? I can't understand why Honda doesn't include it on US bikes. Is it on Canadian models?
 
Factory alarms really don't do much. If someone want's your bike its gone it about 3 minutes. Professionals will use two dolly's ( or 4 guys )sometimes one will be electric and a Van and your bikes gone.

I have a Scorpion Alarm on my XX which will notify you if someone comes within five feet or moves the bike with a motion sensor, that along with my 9MM by my bed has a better chance.

Scorpio SRX-900 Security System - RevZilla
 
I thought it was a fob or card you kept in your pocket and the fob or card had to be within so many feet of the bike or it wouldn't start. Those " remote" things are what BMW and Kaw riders have been having issues with.

If it's just a chip in your existing key, while still suspect to me, makes more sense than the remote piece.
 
Only HISS I've had is on the Rune. Four coded keys linked to the PCM (I've got two of the keys, Honda has the other two. Once all four have been used/lost... a new PCM is needed $$$$). The system is on when the key is removed, and the HISS light in the "dash" will flash for up to 24hrs.

Its true that any one wishing to steal any bike can, but it helps to keep the honest thieves at bay :P
 
I agree with CIP. During my police career, the only times I recall a bike theft, it happened in the middle of the night when 3 or 4 guys would show up with a pickup truck and lift the bike into it and be gone.

All the BMW factory system did was cause me grief when it failed and wouldn't let me start my bike when I was 20 miles from home. That started a 4 hour wait and trip to dealer via tow truck, and a week at the dealer because I didn't have an appointment! Sorry I couldn't give them a couple week's warning that my security system would fail!
 
Well following Cormanus suggestion in another thread, I googled " any issues with Hondas HISS system?" And it appears that there are indeed some issues experienced with the system on Honda motorcycles. Interesting reading for those so inclined.

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=ssl&ei=YL...system%3F+
 
The Rune has the HISS. It comes with four coded keys. I've got two, and the factory has the others. If you lose all four; you'll need to buy a new PCM $$$$. The system is enabled when the key is removed. Then there's a flashing HISS light in the "dash". As mentioned previously; it won't stop the professionals, but it'll have some thinking twice.


Edit to note: 10 yrs old, no problems
 
Razor, I. Would assume though that your Rune is not a daily rider, but one that gets used occassionally for a short ride? Therefore the ign doesn't get a lot of use.

Note: I have never seen a Rune on the road and have only seen 2 in dealerships. 1 New in Ohio when they first came out, and one used in Carson City Nevada last month.
 
I had the HISS system on my 2009 CBF1000 (assembled in Italy) and had no issues with it myself.

The only problem some had with this model was that the coded key was rather long and thin. As a result it tended to bend or twist if you were not careful opening your tank cap or removing your seat. The ignition switch was also rather sensitive to any dirt and had to be kept clean and well lubed.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Razor, I. Would assume though that your Rune is not a daily rider, but one that gets used occassionally for a short ride? Therefore the ign doesn't get a lot of use.

Note: I have never seen a Rune on the road and have only seen 2 in dealerships. 1 New in Ohio when they first came out, and one used in Carson City Nevada last month.
You're right. Got less than 7000 miles. Not sure my back and rump could take long distances on the stock seat.
 
Back
Top