Thought experiment: $2500 worth of improvements to the CB1100

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been back and forth lately on what direction to take my CB next. I've found myself in search of an added safety aspect to my daily motorcycling. I realize that as much as I love the CB it is still built like an obsolete bike. It does not have ABS, it has a relatively low fuel capacity for its displacement, it has a relatively less effective suspension in its stock format. We all know there are many other things about the bike that don't quite stand up to modern standards (and it was never intended to, that's part of its charm).

So, in order to act as a counterpoint to the idea of purchasing a secondary sport-touring variety motorcycle to act as a primary commuter with modern safety and creature comforts, i've decided to explore the idea of spending all that money on making improvements to my CB instead. Thus, as a thought experiment i'm posting here to collect ideas on the best/most comprehensive improvements I can make to a 2014 CB1100 Std. with approximately $2500 cash available.

Some options that have interested me so far:

** fuel capacity : $900 (tank off a '14 DLX) increase my capacity to 4.6 gallons. edit: alternatively if i could find a Whitehouse K10 tank on the forum for cheap that would be 4.7 gallons! but i'm not gonna pay 2000 bucks for one new.

** ABS: This is kind of up in the air...I tend to think that If i can purchase a salvage/crashed bike with all the necessary parts undamaged i can get away with this for about $1500. It's not going to be easy to find a crashed '17 though, unless somebody knows of a resource.

** suspension improvements (front and rear): the cost here is probably more than $2500 if i go to the top end. I would appreciate it if anybody can point me toward some front and rear suspension improvements that would make a real difference for less than $1500.

** Seat: K&H solo or Mid Double seat to improve comfort : $600

** Wheels: Converting to spoked wheels would allow me to swap tire sizes and mount the better tires on the market that I currently don't have access to. I can't speak to the cost of this. It may be something that has to go hand in hand with the ABS change, since part of that could potentially involve using the '17 wheels.

** LED headlamp. I'm lost on this one. I imagine it's just a matter of adding an LED component and using the LED lamp off the newest models, but I don't know for sure. anybody that knows more about doing this please chime in.

** heated grips: $150 (oxford heaterz!)

Edit** accessory power connectors!! $50. being able to plug in a GPS and other powered accessories like heated gear is an upgrade i've wanted to make for a long while.

Obviously I can't do all of these at once, but it's worth thinking about the various options that are out there. What about all of you? if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?
 
That’s a tall order. Personally, I’d sell the bike, add my $2500 to the sale proceeds, and buy a bike which already has these features (preowned R1200RT, ST1300, FJR1300, etc.). They can be found in great condition for $6000-$7000. Did you give up on the C14?
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I've been back and forth lately on what direction to take my CB next. I've found myself in search of an added safety aspect to my daily motorcycling. I realize that as much as I love the CB it is still built like an obsolete bike. It does not have ABS, it has a relatively low fuel capacity for its displacement, it has a relatively less effective suspension in its stock format. We all know there are many other things about the bike that don't quite stand up to modern standards (and it was never intended to, that's part of its charm).

So, in order to act as a counterpoint to the idea of purchasing a secondary sport-touring variety motorcycle to act as a primary commuter with modern safety and creature comforts, i've decided to explore the idea of spending all that money on making improvements to my CB instead. Thus, as a thought experiment i'm posting here to collect ideas on the best/most comprehensive improvements I can make to a 2014 CB1100 Std. with approximately $2500 cash available.

Some options that have interested me so far:

** fuel capacity : $900 (tank off a '14 DLX) increase my capacity to 4.6 gallons. edit: alternatively if i could find a Whitehouse K10 tank on the forum for cheap that would be 4.7 gallons! but i'm not gonna pay 2000 bucks for one new.

** ABS: This is kind of up in the air...I tend to think that If i can purchase a salvage/crashed bike with all the necessary parts undamaged i can get away with this for about $1500. It's not going to be easy to find a crashed '17 though, unless somebody knows of a resource.

** suspension improvements (front and rear): the cost here is probably more than $2500 if i go to the top end. I would appreciate it if anybody can point me toward some front and rear suspension improvements that would make a real difference for less than $1500.

** Seat: K&H solo or Mid Double seat to improve comfort : $600

** Wheels: Converting to spoked wheels would allow me to swap tire sizes and mount the better tires on the market that I currently don't have access to. I can't speak to the cost of this. It may be something that has to go hand in hand with the ABS change, since part of that could potentially involve using the '17 wheels.

** LED headlamp. I'm lost on this one. I imagine it's just a matter of adding an LED component and using the LED lamp off the newest models, but I don't know for sure. anybody that knows more about doing this please chime in.

** heated grips: $150 (oxford heaterz!)

Edit** accessory power connectors!! $50. being able to plug in a GPS and other powered accessories like heated gear is an upgrade i've wanted to make for a long while.

Obviously I can't do all of these at once, but it's worth thinking about the various options that are out there. What about all of you? if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?
Based on your experience, you've determined your '14 DLX needs "added safety" because '"it is still built like an obsolete bike". There will be differences of opinion on that, but you're asking because you want some imput.

If "added safety" is your main motivation for the possible changes, I'd go through the list and ask myself which modification adds the most safety and which one adds the least.

As an example, for me: tank size probably doesn't add much "safety"...and it's $900. Bigger tank gives you an extra 1/2 (?) gallon of fuel. Has that been a problem? An inconvenience from time to time? Maybe you do long trips in low populated areas, and then it might be a safety issue. If not, I'd put that at the bottom of the list....unless, maybe you want to play with a different color of tank, and then we're talking more about aesthetics and less about safety. I'm actually thinking of changing to a blue tank--just think it would look really cool...but I'm not sure if it would look $900 more cool.

On the other hand...heated grips: seems like a huge improvement for the expenditure, and adds lots of safety in the way of more comfortable ride, having greater dexterity / response with hands.

I'd also say listen to your own thoughts. I know for me that on more than one occasion, I listened to what others talked about (mainly online chatter) about "improvements" that one "just had to do" to X brand of bike to make it more comfortable, better handling, more this/that. Some were legit, but some ideas were things that others wanted, and not really what I needed or wanted. I realized that after making certain "improvements" that ended up simply being changes and not improvements.

Back to the bottom line question: "if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?"

If I had that money, the "improvement" I'd make would be to update my worn travel luggage, tent, camping gear, and leave the rest of the money to do an extended trip wherever I most wanted to explore.
 
Thread starter
It is a tall order! i'm exploring the idea in the name of sentimentality though. I love my CB. the truth about an FJR or a ST or a R1200 is that they aren't a CB1100, and more than that they aren't my CB. Those bikes are all objectively better than my bike but none of them are good enough to make me sell my bike. The tallest order of all is for something to be good enough that I want to sell my CB. None of this is set in stone. these are just two equal and opposite ideas that beg exploring. I can shell out 5 or 6k for a replacement bike or I can keep my CB and shell out 2500 this year, 2500 next year, 2500 the year after that to make sequential improvements.

What i'm looking for is an alternative that doesn't put a redundant bike in my garage or force me to sell my CB. Thus, the idea of simply improving the CB occurred to me.

I haven't exactly given up on the C14, it's just that this idea is an alternative counterpoint to the idea of getting a C14. I also have a line on a very gently used BMW K1300GT, which i understand is even better than the C14. But again, i'm very strongly leaning toward finding an option that lets me keep my CB.
pdedse_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I've been back and forth lately on what direction to take my CB next. I've found myself in search of an added safety aspect to my daily motorcycling. I realize that as much as I love the CB it is still built like an obsolete bike. It does not have ABS, it has a relatively low fuel capacity for its displacement, it has a relatively less effective suspension in its stock format. We all know there are many other things about the bike that don't quite stand up to modern standards (and it was never intended to, that's part of its charm).

So, in order to act as a counterpoint to the idea of purchasing a secondary sport-touring variety motorcycle to act as a primary commuter with modern safety and creature comforts, i've decided to explore the idea of spending all that money on making improvements to my CB instead. Thus, as a thought experiment i'm posting here to collect ideas on the best/most comprehensive improvements I can make to a 2014 CB1100 Std. with approximately $2500 cash available.

Some options that have interested me so far:

** fuel capacity : $900 (tank off a '14 DLX) increase my capacity to 4.6 gallons. edit: alternatively if i could find a Whitehouse K10 tank on the forum for cheap that would be 4.7 gallons! but i'm not gonna pay 2000 bucks for one new.

** ABS: This is kind of up in the air...I tend to think that If i can purchase a salvage/crashed bike with all the necessary parts undamaged i can get away with this for about $1500. It's not going to be easy to find a crashed '17 though, unless somebody knows of a resource.

** suspension improvements (front and rear): the cost here is probably more than $2500 if i go to the top end. I would appreciate it if anybody can point me toward some front and rear suspension improvements that would make a real difference for less than $1500.

** Seat: K&H solo or Mid Double seat to improve comfort : $600

** Wheels: Converting to spoked wheels would allow me to swap tire sizes and mount the better tires on the market that I currently don't have access to. I can't speak to the cost of this. It may be something that has to go hand in hand with the ABS change, since part of that could potentially involve using the '17 wheels.

** LED headlamp. I'm lost on this one. I imagine it's just a matter of adding an LED component and using the LED lamp off the newest models, but I don't know for sure. anybody that knows more about doing this please chime in.

** heated grips: $150 (oxford heaterz!)

Edit** accessory power connectors!! $50. being able to plug in a GPS and other powered accessories like heated gear is an upgrade i've wanted to make for a long while.

Obviously I can't do all of these at once, but it's worth thinking about the various options that are out there. What about all of you? if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?
Based on your experience, you've determined your '14 DLX needs "added safety" because '"it is still built like an obsolete bike". There will be differences of opinion on that, but you're asking because you want some imput.

If "added safety" is your main motivation for the possible changes, I'd go through the list and ask myself which modification adds the most safety and which one adds the least.

As an example, for me: tank size probably doesn't add much "safety"...and it's $900. Bigger tank gives you an extra 1/2 (?) gallon of fuel. Has that been a problem? An inconvenience from time to time? Maybe you do long trips in low populated areas, and then it might be a safety issue. If not, I'd put that at the bottom of the list....unless, maybe you want to play with a different color of tank, and then we're talking more about aesthetics and less about safety. I'm actually thinking of changing to a blue tank--just think it would look really cool...but I'm not sure if it would look $900 more cool.

On the other hand...heated grips: seems like a huge improvement for the expenditure, and adds lots of safety in the way of more comfortable ride, having greater dexterity / response with hands.

I'd also say listen to your own thoughts. I know for me that on more than one occasion, I listened to what others talked about (mainly online chatter) about "improvements" that one "just had to do" to X brand of bike to make it more comfortable, better handling, more this/that. Some were legit, but some ideas were things that others wanted, and not really what I needed or wanted. I realized that after making certain "improvements" that ended up simply being changes and not improvements.

Back to the bottom line question: "if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?"

If I had that money, the "improvement" I'd make would be to update my worn travel luggage, tent, camping gear, and leave the rest of the money to do an extended trip wherever I most wanted to explore.
Based on your experience, you've determined your '14 DLX needs "added safety" because '"it is still built like an obsolete bike". There will be differences of opinion on that, but you're asking because you want some imput.
I appreciate your post but i have to immediately point out that my '14 is a STD not a DLX. honestly if i had a DLX we wouldn't be havin this convesation :rofl:
pdedse_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I've been back and forth lately on what direction to take my CB next. I've found myself in search of an added safety aspect to my daily motorcycling. I realize that as much as I love the CB it is still built like an obsolete bike. It does not have ABS, it has a relatively low fuel capacity for its displacement, it has a relatively less effective suspension in its stock format. We all know there are many other things about the bike that don't quite stand up to modern standards (and it was never intended to, that's part of its charm).

So, in order to act as a counterpoint to the idea of purchasing a secondary sport-touring variety motorcycle to act as a primary commuter with modern safety and creature comforts, i've decided to explore the idea of spending all that money on making improvements to my CB instead. Thus, as a thought experiment i'm posting here to collect ideas on the best/most comprehensive improvements I can make to a 2014 CB1100 Std. with approximately $2500 cash available.

Some options that have interested me so far:

** fuel capacity : $900 (tank off a '14 DLX) increase my capacity to 4.6 gallons. edit: alternatively if i could find a Whitehouse K10 tank on the forum for cheap that would be 4.7 gallons! but i'm not gonna pay 2000 bucks for one new.

** ABS: This is kind of up in the air...I tend to think that If i can purchase a salvage/crashed bike with all the necessary parts undamaged i can get away with this for about $1500. It's not going to be easy to find a crashed '17 though, unless somebody knows of a resource.

** suspension improvements (front and rear): the cost here is probably more than $2500 if i go to the top end. I would appreciate it if anybody can point me toward some front and rear suspension improvements that would make a real difference for less than $1500.

** Seat: K&H solo or Mid Double seat to improve comfort : $600

** Wheels: Converting to spoked wheels would allow me to swap tire sizes and mount the better tires on the market that I currently don't have access to. I can't speak to the cost of this. It may be something that has to go hand in hand with the ABS change, since part of that could potentially involve using the '17 wheels.

** LED headlamp. I'm lost on this one. I imagine it's just a matter of adding an LED component and using the LED lamp off the newest models, but I don't know for sure. anybody that knows more about doing this please chime in.

** heated grips: $150 (oxford heaterz!)

Edit** accessory power connectors!! $50. being able to plug in a GPS and other powered accessories like heated gear is an upgrade i've wanted to make for a long while.

Obviously I can't do all of these at once, but it's worth thinking about the various options that are out there. What about all of you? if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?
Based on your experience, you've determined your '14 DLX needs "added safety" because '"it is still built like an obsolete bike". There will be differences of opinion on that, but you're asking because you want some imput.

If "added safety" is your main motivation for the possible changes, I'd go through the list and ask myself which modification adds the most safety and which one adds the least.

As an example, for me: tank size probably doesn't add much "safety"...and it's $900. Bigger tank gives you an extra 1/2 (?) gallon of fuel. Has that been a problem? An inconvenience from time to time? Maybe you do long trips in low populated areas, and then it might be a safety issue. If not, I'd put that at the bottom of the list....unless, maybe you want to play with a different color of tank, and then we're talking more about aesthetics and less about safety. I'm actually thinking of changing to a blue tank--just think it would look really cool...but I'm not sure if it would look $900 more cool.

On the other hand...heated grips: seems like a huge improvement for the expenditure, and adds lots of safety in the way of more comfortable ride, having greater dexterity / response with hands.

I'd also say listen to your own thoughts. I know for me that on more than one occasion, I listened to what others talked about (mainly online chatter) about "improvements" that one "just had to do" to X brand of bike to make it more comfortable, better handling, more this/that. Some were legit, but some ideas were things that others wanted, and not really what I needed or wanted. I realized that after making certain "improvements" that ended up simply being changes and not improvements.

Back to the bottom line question: "if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?"

If I had that money, the "improvement" I'd make would be to update my worn travel luggage, tent, camping gear, and leave the rest of the money to do an extended trip wherever I most wanted to explore.
Added safety is #1 but i'm also going for more of the kinds of creature comforts that come with more modern bikes. since i'm a full time commuter, increased range is important. it's about a 1 gallon difference from the STD tank at most.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
It is a tall order! i'm exploring the idea in the name of sentimentality though. I love my CB. the truth about an FJR or a ST or a R1200 is that they aren't a CB1100, and more than that they aren't my CB. Those bikes are all objectively better than my bike but none of them are good enough to make me sell my bike. The tallest order of all is for something to be good enough that I want to sell my CB. None of this is set in stone. these are just two equal and opposite ideas that beg exploring. I can shell out 5 or 6k for a replacement bike or I can keep my CB and shell out 2500 this year, 2500 next year, 2500 the year after that to make sequential improvements.

What i'm looking for is an alternative that doesn't put a redundant bike in my garage or force me to sell my CB. Thus, the idea of simply improving the CB occurred to me.

I haven't exactly given up on the C14, it's just that this idea is an alternative counterpoint to the idea of getting a C14. I also have a line on a very gently used BMW K1300GT, which i understand is even better than the C14. But again, i'm very strongly leaning toward finding an option that lets me keep my CB.
pdedse_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I've been back and forth lately on what direction to take my CB next. I've found myself in search of an added safety aspect to my daily motorcycling. I realize that as much as I love the CB it is still built like an obsolete bike. It does not have ABS, it has a relatively low fuel capacity for its displacement, it has a relatively less effective suspension in its stock format. We all know there are many other things about the bike that don't quite stand up to modern standards (and it was never intended to, that's part of its charm).

So, in order to act as a counterpoint to the idea of purchasing a secondary sport-touring variety motorcycle to act as a primary commuter with modern safety and creature comforts, i've decided to explore the idea of spending all that money on making improvements to my CB instead. Thus, as a thought experiment i'm posting here to collect ideas on the best/most comprehensive improvements I can make to a 2014 CB1100 Std. with approximately $2500 cash available.

Some options that have interested me so far:

** fuel capacity : $900 (tank off a '14 DLX) increase my capacity to 4.6 gallons. edit: alternatively if i could find a Whitehouse K10 tank on the forum for cheap that would be 4.7 gallons! but i'm not gonna pay 2000 bucks for one new.

** ABS: This is kind of up in the air...I tend to think that If i can purchase a salvage/crashed bike with all the necessary parts undamaged i can get away with this for about $1500. It's not going to be easy to find a crashed '17 though, unless somebody knows of a resource.

** suspension improvements (front and rear): the cost here is probably more than $2500 if i go to the top end. I would appreciate it if anybody can point me toward some front and rear suspension improvements that would make a real difference for less than $1500.

** Seat: K&H solo or Mid Double seat to improve comfort : $600

** Wheels: Converting to spoked wheels would allow me to swap tire sizes and mount the better tires on the market that I currently don't have access to. I can't speak to the cost of this. It may be something that has to go hand in hand with the ABS change, since part of that could potentially involve using the '17 wheels.

** LED headlamp. I'm lost on this one. I imagine it's just a matter of adding an LED component and using the LED lamp off the newest models, but I don't know for sure. anybody that knows more about doing this please chime in.

** heated grips: $150 (oxford heaterz!)

Edit** accessory power connectors!! $50. being able to plug in a GPS and other powered accessories like heated gear is an upgrade i've wanted to make for a long while.

Obviously I can't do all of these at once, but it's worth thinking about the various options that are out there. What about all of you? if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?
Based on your experience, you've determined your '14 DLX needs "added safety" because '"it is still built like an obsolete bike". There will be differences of opinion on that, but you're asking because you want some imput.

If "added safety" is your main motivation for the possible changes, I'd go through the list and ask myself which modification adds the most safety and which one adds the least.

As an example, for me: tank size probably doesn't add much "safety"...and it's $900. Bigger tank gives you an extra 1/2 (?) gallon of fuel. Has that been a problem? An inconvenience from time to time? Maybe you do long trips in low populated areas, and then it might be a safety issue. If not, I'd put that at the bottom of the list....unless, maybe you want to play with a different color of tank, and then we're talking more about aesthetics and less about safety. I'm actually thinking of changing to a blue tank--just think it would look really cool...but I'm not sure if it would look $900 more cool.

On the other hand...heated grips: seems like a huge improvement for the expenditure, and adds lots of safety in the way of more comfortable ride, having greater dexterity / response with hands.

I'd also say listen to your own thoughts. I know for me that on more than one occasion, I listened to what others talked about (mainly online chatter) about "improvements" that one "just had to do" to X brand of bike to make it more comfortable, better handling, more this/that. Some were legit, but some ideas were things that others wanted, and not really what I needed or wanted. I realized that after making certain "improvements" that ended up simply being changes and not improvements.

Back to the bottom line question: "if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?"

If I had that money, the "improvement" I'd make would be to update my worn travel luggage, tent, camping gear, and leave the rest of the money to do an extended trip wherever I most wanted to explore.
Based on your experience, you've determined your '14 DLX needs "added safety" because '"it is still built like an obsolete bike". There will be differences of opinion on that, but you're asking because you want some imput.
I appreciate your post but i have to immediately point out that my '14 is a STD not a DLX. honestly if i had a DLX we wouldn't be havin this convesation :rofl:
pdedse_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I've been back and forth lately on what direction to take my CB next. I've found myself in search of an added safety aspect to my daily motorcycling. I realize that as much as I love the CB it is still built like an obsolete bike. It does not have ABS, it has a relatively low fuel capacity for its displacement, it has a relatively less effective suspension in its stock format. We all know there are many other things about the bike that don't quite stand up to modern standards (and it was never intended to, that's part of its charm).

So, in order to act as a counterpoint to the idea of purchasing a secondary sport-touring variety motorcycle to act as a primary commuter with modern safety and creature comforts, i've decided to explore the idea of spending all that money on making improvements to my CB instead. Thus, as a thought experiment i'm posting here to collect ideas on the best/most comprehensive improvements I can make to a 2014 CB1100 Std. with approximately $2500 cash available.

Some options that have interested me so far:

** fuel capacity : $900 (tank off a '14 DLX) increase my capacity to 4.6 gallons. edit: alternatively if i could find a Whitehouse K10 tank on the forum for cheap that would be 4.7 gallons! but i'm not gonna pay 2000 bucks for one new.

** ABS: This is kind of up in the air...I tend to think that If i can purchase a salvage/crashed bike with all the necessary parts undamaged i can get away with this for about $1500. It's not going to be easy to find a crashed '17 though, unless somebody knows of a resource.

** suspension improvements (front and rear): the cost here is probably more than $2500 if i go to the top end. I would appreciate it if anybody can point me toward some front and rear suspension improvements that would make a real difference for less than $1500.

** Seat: K&H solo or Mid Double seat to improve comfort : $600

** Wheels: Converting to spoked wheels would allow me to swap tire sizes and mount the better tires on the market that I currently don't have access to. I can't speak to the cost of this. It may be something that has to go hand in hand with the ABS change, since part of that could potentially involve using the '17 wheels.

** LED headlamp. I'm lost on this one. I imagine it's just a matter of adding an LED component and using the LED lamp off the newest models, but I don't know for sure. anybody that knows more about doing this please chime in.

** heated grips: $150 (oxford heaterz!)

Edit** accessory power connectors!! $50. being able to plug in a GPS and other powered accessories like heated gear is an upgrade i've wanted to make for a long while.

Obviously I can't do all of these at once, but it's worth thinking about the various options that are out there. What about all of you? if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?
Based on your experience, you've determined your '14 DLX needs "added safety" because '"it is still built like an obsolete bike". There will be differences of opinion on that, but you're asking because you want some imput.

If "added safety" is your main motivation for the possible changes, I'd go through the list and ask myself which modification adds the most safety and which one adds the least.

As an example, for me: tank size probably doesn't add much "safety"...and it's $900. Bigger tank gives you an extra 1/2 (?) gallon of fuel. Has that been a problem? An inconvenience from time to time? Maybe you do long trips in low populated areas, and then it might be a safety issue. If not, I'd put that at the bottom of the list....unless, maybe you want to play with a different color of tank, and then we're talking more about aesthetics and less about safety. I'm actually thinking of changing to a blue tank--just think it would look really cool...but I'm not sure if it would look $900 more cool.

On the other hand...heated grips: seems like a huge improvement for the expenditure, and adds lots of safety in the way of more comfortable ride, having greater dexterity / response with hands.

I'd also say listen to your own thoughts. I know for me that on more than one occasion, I listened to what others talked about (mainly online chatter) about "improvements" that one "just had to do" to X brand of bike to make it more comfortable, better handling, more this/that. Some were legit, but some ideas were things that others wanted, and not really what I needed or wanted. I realized that after making certain "improvements" that ended up simply being changes and not improvements.

Back to the bottom line question: "if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?"

If I had that money, the "improvement" I'd make would be to update my worn travel luggage, tent, camping gear, and leave the rest of the money to do an extended trip wherever I most wanted to explore.
Added safety is #1 but i'm also going for more of the kinds of creature comforts that come with more modern bikes. since i'm a full time commuter, increased range is important. it's about a 1 gallon difference from the STD tank at most.
Yes I read right through "standard" and typed DLX w/out double checking ... wasn't putting 2 and 2 together. : )
 
I feel your pain and desire...
If I desperately wanted the DLX, I would place an ad for one, willing to pay top $$$ for top unit, travel to get it, and then sell existing CB.
If you buy a wreck, many parts you need might be unless, so trips to a dealer will be expen$ive.
You may consider alternate bike, if this is an option..??

Wish you good luck, patience, wisdom with your project and decision :thumbsup:
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I've been back and forth lately on what direction to take my CB next. I've found myself in search of an added safety aspect to my daily motorcycling. I realize that as much as I love the CB it is still built like an obsolete bike. It does not have ABS, it has a relatively low fuel capacity for its displacement, it has a relatively less effective suspension in its stock format. We all know there are many other things about the bike that don't quite stand up to modern standards (and it was never intended to, that's part of its charm).

So, in order to act as a counterpoint to the idea of purchasing a secondary sport-touring variety motorcycle to act as a primary commuter with modern safety and creature comforts, i've decided to explore the idea of spending all that money on making improvements to my CB instead. Thus, as a thought experiment i'm posting here to collect ideas on the best/most comprehensive improvements I can make to a 2014 CB1100 Std. with approximately $2500 cash available.

Some options that have interested me so far:

** fuel capacity : $900 (tank off a '14 DLX) increase my capacity to 4.6 gallons. edit: alternatively if i could find a Whitehouse K10 tank on the forum for cheap that would be 4.7 gallons! but i'm not gonna pay 2000 bucks for one new.

** ABS: This is kind of up in the air...I tend to think that If i can purchase a salvage/crashed bike with all the necessary parts undamaged i can get away with this for about $1500. It's not going to be easy to find a crashed '17 though, unless somebody knows of a resource.

** suspension improvements (front and rear): the cost here is probably more than $2500 if i go to the top end. I would appreciate it if anybody can point me toward some front and rear suspension improvements that would make a real difference for less than $1500.

** Seat: K&H solo or Mid Double seat to improve comfort : $600

** Wheels: Converting to spoked wheels would allow me to swap tire sizes and mount the better tires on the market that I currently don't have access to. I can't speak to the cost of this. It may be something that has to go hand in hand with the ABS change, since part of that could potentially involve using the '17 wheels.

** LED headlamp. I'm lost on this one. I imagine it's just a matter of adding an LED component and using the LED lamp off the newest models, but I don't know for sure. anybody that knows more about doing this please chime in.

** heated grips: $150 (oxford heaterz!)

Edit** accessory power connectors!! $50. being able to plug in a GPS and other powered accessories like heated gear is an upgrade i've wanted to make for a long while.

Obviously I can't do all of these at once, but it's worth thinking about the various options that are out there. What about all of you? if you had $2500 to spend improving your CB, what would you do?


I added the '17 DBV forks which were a great improvement- and sold my stock forks to offset much of the cost.

I added the Ikon rear shocks (Koni) - which also were a great improvement.

You can easily do both for less than $1500 even not selling the stock bits.
 
It sure sounds to me like you're looking to commute on a different bike. Rather than try to make a CB modern, could you find a smaller modern bike to use as your commuter mule and not break the bank? Would an older Versys, VStrom or something like that work? I see lots of those on the market that had been set up as daily commuters with grip heaters, luggage, etc.

It's funny, I went in the opposite direction, coming off of a BMW with ABS, heat, big tank, six speed, etc, and going to my 2013 CB. I thought I'd miss warm hands and 250 mile range, but I honestly don't. But, my daily door-to-door is 12 miles. Yours may be more!
 
Thread starter
Josh,

That's great advice thanks. Did you buy your '17 forks off Ebay or was it a new part purchase? How big of an improvement are we talking here? Was cost the only reason you selected them over aftermarket forks?

edit: was it these?

Gone,

you're right, and you're wrong, lol. I want to commute on my CB, I love its feel and looks and power delivery profile. I'd be perfectly happy if nothing came of this and I was stuck with this bike for another 3 or 4 years. However, the practically minded side of me recognizes the need for some improvements. I don't really want to get a *smaller* bike for commuting because that would invalidate my desire to ride it. for example, If i got a NC700 or an older Vstrom650 i would find its power and responsiveness so lacking that I would feel compelled to pull out the CB at leasty 3 days a week anyway, which defeats the purpose of having the "safer" bike. This is the reason i started to gravitate toward bigger sport touring bikes like a Concours. These possess the comfort and safety and range but will not fall short of the CB in terms of ride enjoyment. in short, i wouldn't spend money on something i enjoy less.

your story about going to the 2013 CB from more advanced bikes actually illustrates one of the reasons i want to make improvements to the CB rather than getting a more advanced bike. Imagine if you could have the feel you get from your CB but still have some of the more advanced safety you get from that BMW? best of both worlds? that's my theory.
 
If ABS is what you need, a new or different bike is the way to go. Remember, aside from the ABS hardware, the wire harness, ECM, and instrument panel are different also. To do all you wanted to your bike, you might have $20k invested.

$2500 put towards a second bike seems a better choice.
 
Thread starter
Peking, As stated above, the only way I'd do ABS is to buy a salvaged/crashed '17 CB1100 and scavenge all the parts. That bike likely won't cost me more than 2000. i might still have to buy 1 or 2 parts new but most of it will be there.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Peking, As stated above, the only way I'd do ABS is to buy a salvaged/crashed '17 CB1100 and scavenge all the parts. That bike likely won't cost me more than 2000. i might still have to buy 1 or 2 parts new but most of it will be there.
Well, a 2017 would give you the wheels, ABS, better forks, and larger tank.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
No- those are not the right forks. Those are off the sportier model.
Interesting. I wonder if they're even better? They seem to take a different brake caliper too.


So it was these then.

So when you fitted the '17 forks everything else bolted right on? no modifications necessary? The wheel even?
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Josh,

That's great advice thanks. Did you buy your '17 forks off Ebay or was it a new part purchase? How big of an improvement are we talking here? Was cost the only reason you selected them over aftermarket forks?

edit: was it these?

Gone,

you're right, and you're wrong, lol. I want to commute on my CB, I love its feel and looks and power delivery profile. I'd be perfectly happy if nothing came of this and I was stuck with this bike for another 3 or 4 years. However, the practically minded side of me recognizes the need for some improvements. I don't really want to get a *smaller* bike for commuting because that would invalidate my desire to ride it. for example, If i got a NC700 or an older Vstrom650 i would find its power and responsiveness so lacking that I would feel compelled to pull out the CB at leasty 3 days a week anyway, which defeats the purpose of having the "safer" bike. This is the reason i started to gravitate toward bigger sport touring bikes like a Concours. These possess the comfort and safety and range but will not fall short of the CB in terms of ride enjoyment. in short, i wouldn't spend money on something i enjoy less.

your story about going to the 2013 CB from more advanced bikes actually illustrates one of the reasons i want to make improvements to the CB rather than getting a more advanced bike. Imagine if you could have the feel you get from your CB but still have some of the more advanced safety you get from that BMW? best of both worlds? that's my theory.


I bought them new from a Honda dealer.

The difference is big enough that-

#1- all the magazine / motorcycle websites test reports on the 17 model noticed the difference and rated them favorably.

#2- Once I had the front forks on, which as an example smoothed out expansion joints and sudden jolts- I became dis-satisfied with how the rear felt.

Originally I thought I was happy with the rear- but putting the new front forks on, I then noticed the rear feeling 'harsher' even though they hadn't changed.

So I swapped the rear shocks and all was good.

The reason I went with the factory front forks is, well- they are factory....designed with this exact bike in mind, weight, angle geometry, springs, damping.... not some tuner guys guess at a modification.

DBV tech is modern, used on a lot of fancy bikes now, but these forks look old to fit the CB style. It also allowed me to get silver fork legs and rid of the black ones that came on the bike.

Same with the rear- my whole bike looks like something Honda could have sold new...nothing looks out of place..like reservoir shocks would for example. The Ikon are adjustable, but the knob is hidden under the rubber. I also chose the longer silver cap for more period correctness.

Money wasn't an issue- performance while not looking tacked on was the goal.

If someone wasn't familiar with the modern CB, they could think mine was 40 years old- yet it has oem heated grips, fuel injection, 6-speeds, much better than 40 year old frame, suspension, brakes, dash, lights, and power. I was particular in all the details- from the seat, to the handlebars, the switch gear, the blinkers. Same thought for the Staintune and Arrow header, no more cat, looks like something the factory could do. Doesn't sound out of place.

Off the showroom the bike was pretty good- but now it is amazing.

Can't wait to get it back together and back to the dyno to see what it does now with the Guhl ecu on top of the power commander and autotune. I am also going to try the gear dependent tuning maps since Popgun found the wire I need for input.

Sorry for off topic blabing, I just love my bike. :)
Just saw your reply- the standard '17 forks are a direct swap, plug and play. If it wasn't for the writing on the caps up top you wouldn't know the difference by looking at them.
 
My idea for the smaller bike would be to keep the price down closer to the budget. In the end, whatever you do, you have to be happy with it, and it has to suit your needs.

It's funny about the power difference - I swap between the Bonneville and the CB every other day, and I just consider the additional power of the CB to be a treat when it's turn comes up. Yes, it was a bigger treat to go from the Bonneville to a 109 horsepower BMW, but an 86 horsepower CB is still a treat compared to a 68 horsepower Triumph.
 
Question: what's the advantage of the 2017EX wheels? Aren't they 18" and the same dimensions as the 2010-2016 models? And they have tubes. How does that increase the available tyre option?

The RS (not available in the US) has 17" wheels.
 
Back
Top