Whitehouse K17 mods...

He also played a Comanche named John Walking Fox

 
Thread starter
Well, I'm over the moon... The Wyvern 4-into-4 pipes have arrived! They're beautiful. Stainless headers and chromed silencers, very good quality.

My (small) garage needs a bit more work on, to get it tidy enough to move my 'bikes about and start this job. And then... the full report (with pictures) to follow. :)
 
Thread starter
:D :D :D

Thanks, John.

Fortunately, Maggie's son is here. He's a big, strapping lad - 6'4" of muscle!!

I can't wait to get started, but I'm definitely not going to rush things and ruin the job. First job, while clearing the garage, is to buy new exhaust gaskets.
 
That’s very exciting, Bazbro. I’m already looking forward to the pictures.
 
Awesome Bazbro. If you’re thinking of posting pics, please go a step further and share a short video of those gorgeous pipes at idle and being revved!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Will do, run-tmc.

I always struggle posting pics on here. I forget what I did last time and then search and search to find the correct format.
So what will happen when I try to post a video, gawd only knows!!

It'll be a while, as the CB has no tank yet (waiting for the Whitehouse bits to be manufactured).
 
When the time comes, Bazbro, ask your friends here. We’ll help.
 
Thread starter
Before I get started disassembling the original exhaust system and fitting the Wyvern 4-into-4 system, I thought some of you might appreciate some info on where I am up to right now, to bring you up-to-date.

In February 2019 I bought an almost brand new, but crashed, CB1100EX, first registered October 2018, with just 160 miles or so on the clock!   Some may remember that a "financial hiccup" back in 2019 prevented me from modifying the crashed CB1100 as I wanted to and I have had to wait until now to carry out my plan of a custom "CB750-lookalike".  I owned a K2 CB750 back in 1972 and I just LOVE the look.

Anyway, here we are, 2022, with Wyvern exhaust ready to fit, Whitehouse.K17 tank, side panels and headlamp brackets all ordered; CB750-style seat and rear light already fitted; and awaiting CB750 front mudguard as the last item.

So my first job is to get my tiny garage ready to do the job.  I couldn't do anything over Christmas so I'm just starting now, and moving two other motorcycles (my 1965 Yamaha YDS3 and my father's old 1960 BSA C15T) to leave room for work on the CB1100.

The exhausts arrived a few days ago...
I ordered from 'Samurider' - HONDA K10 / K17 | WhiteHouse | Samurider.com - and I can't praise Takashi Takase there highly enough.  He's efficient; ALWAYS answers all mails promptly; and speaks perfect English.  I've ordered other parts from him before and he was the same with those.  Another company I dealt with in Japan was problematic - they spoke little English and I was never sure that my order had been correctly received or what was happening - a problem at any time would have been a BIG problem! So those guys who are considering ordering anything from Japan, you can relax if you deal with 'Samurider' if my experiences with them are anything to go by.  I could have bought the Wyvern exhausts a bit cheaper from this other company, but I chose to stick with 'Samurider' for those foregoing reasons.

The items were sent to me by FedEx and I was kept informed by Takashi at every step.  They took two weeks to arrive (because FedEx mucked up!).  The box was sturdy and they were VERY well-packed in bubblewrap and stout cardboard partitions.  I marked the delivery "Possibly damaged/unexamined" in case there was damage, but I needn't have worried.

I have decided to run WITHOUT the O2 Sensors fitted.  There's a lot of good discussion on this Forum about this subject - "Installing an 02 sensor eliminator"  https://is.gd/D60x3j - is just one excellent discussion.  I've just bought my Sensor Eliminators (two required for my 2018 model - earlier models only require one) from UK eBay supplier P3 Tuning Performance Parts, via eBay...

I've copied ALL documentaion (sheets in English and Japanese ) and I'll publish these in a later post - this post is getting rather long (and boring!).  When fitting the exhausts, I will follow these numbered English instructions for reference, so that you'll all see what's going on.

That's all for now... :thumbsup:
 
Barry , you are smart in dealing with just Samurider , he ALWAYS delivers and being a little more expensive for a few things is worth preventing the problems with other suppliers.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Are you adding fuel in any method? Removing the cats will lean out the mixture...and these bikes run lean enough as is.
I'm not removing the catalysers, PD.
The Wyvern paperwork shows a picture of a catalyser along with the exhaust pics, which I'm assuming is fitted, because the paperwork also includes a Certificate (of Conformity?). It's all in Japanese at the moment, but I'll translate it tomorrow.

It's just the O2 Sensors that I'm not fitting, as per the Forum discussion link. I know it might be controversial, but I've read the evidence and, as it's VERY common to remove these Sensors (on a great many different 'bikes. with corresponding smoother running) I think it worth doing.
(And I've just noticed that I mis-wrote "dissembling" instead of "disassembling" in my write-up - a very important difference! I can't edit it out now...) Red Face
 
Wipe thy fevered brow, Bazbro. I’ve made clear that you’re not dissembling.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Wipe thy fevered brow, Bazbro. I’ve made clear that you’re not dissembling.

Wow! That was quick, Cormanus!
Thanks, mate! I can go back to sleeping easy... (it's the middle of the night here) Thumbs Up
 
Thread starter
Bazbro_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Are you adding fuel in any method? Removing the cats will lean out the mixture...and these bikes run lean enough as is.
I'm not removing the catalysers, PD.
The Wyvern paperwork shows a picture of a catalyser along with the exhaust pics, which I'm assuming is fitted, because the paperwork also includes a Certificate (of Conformity?). It's all in Japanese at the moment, but I'll translate it tomorrow.

It's just the O2 Sensors that I'm not fitting, as per the Forum discussion link. I know it might be controversial, but I've read the evidence and, as it's VERY common to remove these Sensors (on a great many different 'bikes. with corresponding smoother running) I think it worth doing.
(And I've just noticed that I mis-wrote "dissembling" instead of "disassembling" in my write-up - a very important difference! I can't edit it out now...) Red Face
I'm not removing the catalysers, PD.
The Wyvern paperwork shows a picture of a catalyser along with the exhaust pics, which I'm assuming is fitted, because the paperwork also includes a Certificate (of Conformity?). It's all in Japanese at the moment, but I'll translate it tomorrow.

It's just the O2 Sensors that I'm not fitting, as per the Forum discussion link. I know it might be controversial, but I've read the evidence and, as it's VERY common to remove these Sensors (on a great many different 'bikes. with corresponding smoother running) I think it worth doing.

Here is the relevant part of the Instruction sheets, PD. It's the reverse of the exhaust gas test sheets...

30803cd34cc8acb4ce8f14ce2cfbb0c2.jpg


The top drawing (of the whole system) shows the position of the catalyser, in red.
The red writing says that you can visually check on the presence of the catalysers by shining a penlight into the forward end of the silencer. I imagine that this could be important in some markets, to prove "Conformity".

The photograph to the left of the red writing shows an actual catalyser, as fitted to these silencers. It describes the catalyser as follows :-
Outer diameter 56.3mm
Length 80mm
Number of 'cells' 300

All this information is on the back of the "Japan Vehicle Inspection Certificate - Vehicle Exhaust Gas Test Result Certificate". It's all in Japanese, but should be sufficient to satisfy the Authorities in whatever regime you find yourself.
 
Back
Top