Whitehouse K17 mods...

Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
There is a company in your neighborhood making beautiful alu tanks for bikes , they make them for Gold Stars etc.
Do you have the name, John?

I once owned a water-cooled Suzuki GT750 ('Kettle'). Suzuki GB (here in the UK) competed for The Maudes Trophy (Google it) by riding their three main 'bikes, GT750, GT550 and GT380 three times round the coast of Britain. To do that mileage, they fitted huge handmade alloy tanks for their machines. A short time after, I enquired of Suzuki GB, what happened to the alloy tank for the GT750? I managed to purchase it - it held about 8 or 9 gallons! I sprayed it red to match the rest of the 'bike and it was FANTASTIC! I only had to stop a few times to refuel on my trip to the South of France in 1976. And boy! did it look good. :D

If only I knew who made them for Suzuki... :rolleyes:
 
Houtman_imp said:
There is a company in your neighborhood making beautiful alu tanks for bikes , they make them for Gold Stars etc.
... and of course if you commission an alloy tank it can be designed around the standard CB11 fuel pump & filler cap so there would be no additional expense for installation.
 
Barry , the company is Terry's Baker , he died but his daughter took over the business The name is TAB2 Classics Phone # 01974-821469 . I THINK that they are in Devon.
 
Thread starter
Many thanks, John. They're actually in another country... Wales! Not that far away though - about three hours. But getting a handmade, bespok item ain't gonna be cheap... probably about what Samurider is charging for his Whitehouse tanks. :-/
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
A question, guys..

Can a CB1100 engine be run with fuel supplied only by gravity, or MUST the fuel pump be connected?

The reason I ask is that I have identified a source of CB1100-fit fuel tanks that are look-alike CB750, with gravity fuel taps. The kicker is that they are £75 (unpainted) compared to Samurider's Whitehouse ones, at £1,600 (unpainted)!!

I'll check the Workshop Manual tomorrow to see if I can elucidate any info there, but I thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable guys first.

So if the CB1100 engine will happy run WITHOUT the fuel pump, I could be onto something... :celebrate:
Sorry Barry, the answer is no.

The CB1100 is a fuel injected engine which requires a constant fuel pressure of around 50psi at idle (under vacuum), rising to ~57psi at full throttle.

That said, the engine does not need to use the original in-tank fuel pump, you could use an external pump as long as it delivered the same pressure.
I should have also mentioned that the in-tank fuel pump incorporates a fuel pressure regulator, hence the external pump would have to be internally regulated or use an in-line regulator on the supply line.

As well as fuel level sensor
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Many thanks, John. They're actually in another country... Wales! Not that far away though - about three hours. But getting a handmade, bespok item ain't gonna be cheap... probably about what Samurider is charging for his Whitehouse tanks. :-/
Isn't Wales owned by England .... ( Sorry all Welshman ) Wales is beautiful , visited it times when I was selling animal feed in the late seventies , early eighties.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
A question, guys..

Can a CB1100 engine be run with fuel supplied only by gravity, or MUST the fuel pump be connected?

The reason I ask is that I have identified a source of CB1100-fit fuel tanks that are look-alike CB750, with gravity fuel taps. The kicker is that they are £75 (unpainted) compared to Samurider's Whitehouse ones, at £1,600 (unpainted)!!

I'll check the Workshop Manual tomorrow to see if I can elucidate any info there, but I thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable guys first.

So if the CB1100 engine will happy run WITHOUT the fuel pump, I could be onto something... :celebrate:
Sorry Barry, the answer is no.

The CB1100 is a fuel injected engine which requires a constant fuel pressure of around 50psi at idle (under vacuum), rising to ~57psi at full throttle.

That said, the engine does not need to use the original in-tank fuel pump, you could use an external pump as long as it delivered the same pressure.
I should have also mentioned that the in-tank fuel pump incorporates a fuel pressure regulator, hence the external pump would have to be internally regulated or use an in-line regulator on the supply line.

As well as fuel level sensor
As well as fuel level sensor
As well as a check valve, a few wires, etc...
:)
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Many thanks, John. They're actually in another country... Wales! Not that far away though - about three hours. But getting a handmade, bespok item ain't gonna be cheap... probably about what Samurider is charging for his Whitehouse tanks. :-/
Isn't Wales owned by England .... ( Sorry all Welshman ) Wales is beautiful , visited it times when I was selling animal feed in the late seventies , early eighties.
Isn't Wales owned by England .... ( Sorry all Welshman ) Wales is beautiful , visited it times when I was selling animal feed in the late seventies , early eighties.
Yes, John - it's been a Principality of England since the 1280s...
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/history/edwardi-english-conquest-wales.html
 
Thread starter
A bit of good news (for once)...

I am in correspondence with a good quality repro tank manufacturer in India. They are VERY keen to replicate what Whitehouse do with their CB1100/CB750-look tank, but the price will be CONSIDERABLY cheaper.

I will keep you all posted as to how this progresses...
 
Good luck with this Bazbro.

As I mentioned, I'm looking to buy an alloy tank soon for my BMW R80 Cafe Racer project and came to the conclusion that most roads lead to India for affordable yet highly skilled metal working. Had I not found the K10 I dare say I would have considered the same option.

I'll take lots of photos of my K10 tank when it comes back from the paint shop, they might come in as a handy reference for you. Send me an email if you need them.
 
Thread starter
Many thanks for that kind offer, Nine.

The Indian manufacturer proposed an alloy version as well, but steel will be the first version. Let me know when you're ready for your R80 tank and I'll pass you my contact's details.

The critical points of the K10 tank that I can see at the moment, are the proximity to the engine, the front/rear measurement, and the overall 'size'... although it's the same shape, is it actually larger than a CB750 tank? The CB11000 is a bigger 'bike - I figure the tank might be larger so that it still "looks right"?

Really looking forward to seeing yours assembled!
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Many thanks for that kind offer, Nine.

The Indian manufacturer proposed an alloy version as well, but steel will be the first version. Let me know when you're ready for your R80 tank and I'll pass you my contact's details.

The critical points of the K10 tank that I can see at the moment, are the proximity to the engine, the front/rear measurement, and the overall 'size'... although it's the same shape, is it actually larger than a CB750 tank? The CB11000 is a bigger 'bike - I figure the tank might be larger so that it still "looks right"?

Really looking forward to seeing yours assembled!
I could also have the outside of the K10 tank 3D scanned...
:cool:
 
Thread starter
Ninemeister_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Many thanks for that kind offer, Nine.

The Indian manufacturer proposed an alloy version as well, but steel will be the first version. Let me know when you're ready for your R80 tank and I'll pass you my contact's details.

The critical points of the K10 tank that I can see at the moment, are the proximity to the engine, the front/rear measurement, and the overall 'size'... although it's the same shape, is it actually larger than a CB750 tank? The CB11000 is a bigger 'bike - I figure the tank might be larger so that it still "looks right"?

Really looking forward to seeing yours assembled!
I could also have the outside of the K10 tank 3D scanned...
:cool:
I could also have the outside of the K10 tank 3D scanned...
:cool:
Really? That would be brilliant.
The Whitehouse tanks look SO right on the CB1100, that I can't
imagine that they are the same dimensions of the smaller CB750.
Scanning yours would ensure the correct size of the new ones.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Many thanks for that kind offer, Nine.

The Indian manufacturer proposed an alloy version as well, but steel will be the first version. Let me know when you're ready for your R80 tank and I'll pass you my contact's details.

The critical points of the K10 tank that I can see at the moment, are the proximity to the engine, the front/rear measurement, and the overall 'size'... although it's the same shape, is it actually larger than a CB750 tank? The CB11000 is a bigger 'bike - I figure the tank might be larger so that it still "looks right"?

Really looking forward to seeing yours assembled!
I could also have the outside of the K10 tank 3D scanned...
:cool:
I could also have the outside of the K10 tank 3D scanned...
:cool:
Really? That would be brilliant.
The Whitehouse tanks look SO right on the CB1100, that I can't
imagine that they are the same dimensions of the smaller CB750.
Scanning yours would ensure the correct size of the new ones.
Really? That would be brilliant.
The Whitehouse tanks look SO right on the CB1100, that I can't
imagine that they are the same dimensions of the smaller CB750.
Scanning yours would ensure the correct size of the new ones.
It's definitely bigger than the 750 tank and of course it has the fuel pump mount underneath.

I could get a quote for you (I don't have the equipment myself) but the value of a 3D model depends on the India manufacturer having the ability to use it. Possible issue with scanning a gloss finish can be worked around with masking tape or matting agent.
My plan would be to send him the standard CB1100 tank with an old 750 tank, or a lot of photos to scale from. Wouldn't matter if it differed slightly to the K10 as long as it looked "right". Same goes with the side panels.
 
I like the whitehouse tank other than the cutouts on the bottom side lip.

I want an old school bulbous tank for my bike- with the early 80's paint job.

Been thinking a DLX tank with the Honda Wing paint job on Samuriders site.
 
Thread starter
The news keeps getting better...

My Indian contact is now prepared to do the lookalike-CB750 tank for the CB1100 and... the price is projected to be less than HALF that of the Whitehouse one (both unpainted).

I'm about to pack up my tank to send him so that he can copy the base before fabricating the top. I'm hoping that he can avoid the Whitehouse error of placing that bottom seam too close to the engine - another 1/4" gap should suffice to have a complete 'chrome' strip.

Regarding this last point concerning the plastic 'chrome' U-strip, it has occurred to me that this strip doesnt need to be entirely severed in two. It just needs a piece cut from the back and the underside of the strip, keeping the front face intact and looking 'continuous'.

I'll keep you all updated as to progress of the CB750/CB1100 tank...
 
Thread starter
Thanks Peter. Will do.

K.My tank fabricator is asking me how many do I think he should make? I just don't know. How many here would be interested in doing what Neinmeister has got? Because of the astronomical cost of the Whitehouse items, I'm sourcing alternative items from David Silver Honda CB750 spares. The original CB750 front mudguard (fender) fits - it just needs two small brackets to attach the stays and we now have drawings for this, courtesy of Neinmeister. The original side-panels - I'm in the process of altering to fit. The headlamp 'ears' are more problematic, but I know it can be done - I've seen an example of how.

So... it looks like this replica CB750 conversion CAN be done cheaply. Anyone else interested? Let me know so I can let my tank fabricator know. Thanks.

Not very elegant in raw black plastic and taped to hold it on, buy it can be made to fit!
4e42b08f36c536aef08f8479d3e68bfc.jpg
 
Back
Top