Whitehouse K17 mods...

Thread starter
I guessed that, John, when the 4th Sept came and went with no word from you!

Coincidentally, my riding buddy recently expressed a wish to visit David Silver's Honda museum, so we're planning an excursion soon (Covid permitting). It's a heck of a long way for us (an overnighter) but when there, I might be able to explore a cheaper alternative to the Whitehouse parts. We'll see...
 
Barry,
You had a great project going here, it's a real shame that you won't be able to see it through to completion as it would have been great to start our own little K10/K17 club!

I stumbled across the White House conversion whilst doing random bike project searches on Pinterest one night, did my research and was initially put off by the costs. Luckily for me I had just sold a Honda VTX and had the cash in the bank when I dropped lucky to find a high mileage K10 for sale at a more than reasonable price. I bought it blind and am delighted that I did, embarking on a similar project to yourself to get the bike exactly how I want it. I'll post my own rebuild thread once it's finished, I hope you enjoy it.
 
Thread starter
L
Houtman_imp said:
Barry , make certain that the David Sliver museum is open , in my last Classic Bike magazine their ad was printed over "CLOSED"
Thanks, John. I've checked and it is still closed. I'll berate my chum for making false plans! :D

That's a shame because I've heard of at least one person who has used replica CB750 parts (from David Silver) to alter his CB1100. A visit will have to wait though.

Thanks again for the 'heads up'. :thumbsup:
Ninemeister_imp said:
Barry,
You had a great project going here, it's a real shame that you won't be able to see it through to completion as it would have been great to start our own little K10/K17 club!

I stumbled across the White House conversion whilst doing random bike project searches on Pinterest one night, did my research and was initially put off by the costs. Luckily for me I had just sold a Honda VTX and had the cash in the bank when I dropped lucky to find a high mileage K10 for sale at a more than reasonable price. I bought it blind and am delighted that I did, embarking on a similar project to yourself to get the bike exactly how I want it. I'll post my own rebuild thread once it's finished, I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks, Nine - yes, it's a great shame.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing your thread. Have you decided on the colour yet? I was initially set on the Candy Glory Red (which I absolutely love) but then the Gold (of my original one back in '72) appealed. Now I've seen the Turquoise one... that is just stunning and a real eye-catcher - THAT is the one I will go for if I can get the project going again.

Good luck with this. You're a lucky guy! :thumbsup:

9ae769405cc9888d249eea58e28a4aa1.jpg




Here is the guy in the UK Branch of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club (VJMC) with his unapologetically modern Japanese CB1100. The tank is the standard, modern one, but with the rear 'tails' painted black and the chrome strip to fool the eye. All the other parts are from David Silver, repro CB750 bits - the seat, side panels, front mudguatd (fender).

Oh, by the way, did you notice the polished alloy casting mounting the rear footrests looks much more "retro" if painted satin black? Try it, with maybe black adhesive tape first, to see what you think on yours?

I may be forced to go down this route, which I really don't want to. We'll see. Again, good luck with this, Ninemeister.

a91e987a90564d3ed16156bc164faf13.jpg


b11f53df06f1277d573efc1115407315.jpg
 
The black steps are readily available off a '14 standard black model.

Mine are collecting dust in my garage along with all my other junk. If you were local I would give them to you, but I'm not going to attempt shipping overseas.

Should be easy to find on Ebay though.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
The black steps are readily available off a '14 standard black model.

Mine are collecting dust in my garage along with all my other junk. If you were local I would give them to you, but I'm not going to attempt shipping overseas.

Should be easy to find on Ebay though.
Thanks, PD... good info. :thumbsup:
 
It’s a lovely looking bike, Bazbro. Thanks for posting the pictures.
 
Thread starter
A question, guys..

Can a CB1100 engine be run with fuel supplied only by gravity, or MUST the fuel pump be connected?

The reason I ask is that I have identified a source of CB1100-fit fuel tanks that are look-alike CB750, with gravity fuel taps. The kicker is that they are £75 (unpainted) compared to Samurider's Whitehouse ones, at £1,600 (unpainted)!!

I'll check the Workshop Manual tomorrow to see if I can elucidate any info there, but I thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable guys first.

So if the CB1100 engine will happy run WITHOUT the fuel pump, I could be onto something... :celebrate:
 
Bazbro_imp said:
A question, guys..

Can a CB1100 engine be run with fuel supplied only by gravity, or MUST the fuel pump be connected?

The reason I ask is that I have identified a source of CB1100-fit fuel tanks that are look-alike CB750, with gravity fuel taps. The kicker is that they are £75 (unpainted) compared to Samurider's Whitehouse ones, at £1,600 (unpainted)!!

I'll check the Workshop Manual tomorrow to see if I can elucidate any info there, but I thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable guys first.

So if the CB1100 engine will happy run WITHOUT the fuel pump, I could be onto something... :celebrate:
Sorry Barry, the answer is no.

The CB1100 is a fuel injected engine which requires a constant fuel pressure of around 50psi at idle (under vacuum), rising to ~57psi at full throttle.

That said, the engine does not need to use the original in-tank fuel pump, you could use an external pump as long as it delivered the same pressure.
I should have also mentioned that the in-tank fuel pump incorporates a fuel pressure regulator, hence the external pump would have to be internally regulated or use an in-line regulator on the supply line.
 
Thread starter
Ninemeister_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
A question, guys..

Can a CB1100 engine be run with fuel supplied only by gravity, or MUST the fuel pump be connected?

The reason I ask is that I have identified a source of CB1100-fit fuel tanks that are look-alike CB750, with gravity fuel taps. The kicker is that they are £75 (unpainted) compared to Samurider's Whitehouse ones, at £1,600 (unpainted)!!

I'll check the Workshop Manual tomorrow to see if I can elucidate any info there, but I thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable guys first.

So if the CB1100 engine will happy run WITHOUT the fuel pump, I could be onto something... :celebrate:
Sorry Barry, the answer is no.

The CB1100 is a fuel injected engine which requires a constant fuel pressure of around 50psi at idle (under vacuum), rising to ~57psi at full throttle.

That said, the engine does not need to use the original in-tank fuel pump, you could use an external pump as long as it delivered the same pressure.
I should have also mentioned that the in-tank fuel pump incorporates a fuel pressure regulator, hence the external pump would have to be internally regulated or use an in-line regulator on the supply line.
Sorry Barry, the answer is no.

The CB1100 is a fuel injected engine which requires a constant fuel pressure of around 50psi at idle (under vacuum), rising to ~57psi at full throttle.

That said, the engine does not need to use the original in-tank fuel pump, you could use an external pump as long as it delivered the same pressure.
I should have also mentioned that the in-tank fuel pump incorporates a fuel pressure regulator, hence the external pump would have to be internally regulated or use an in-line regulator on the supply line.
Very many thanks, Nine. An added complication but not insurmountable - just more cost and difficulty!

I'll have a look at the Workshop Manual when I get up and see what can be done.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Darn it! On closely checking the dimensions of this remarkably cheap tank, whilst it has the LOOK of a CB750 tank, it's small - much smaller, just 9 litres! So back to the drawing board.

I've contacted an Indian company, who make excellent reproduction tanks, to ask them about this very question, namely, a 1972 CB750-looking tank that will fit a 2011-2020 CB1100. But don't hold yer breath...

I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything. Meanwhile, I await Ninemeister's write-up on his K10/17. Happy days!
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Darn it! On closely checking the dimensions of this remarkably cheap tank, whilst it has the LOOK of a CB750 tank, it's small - much smaller, just 9 litres! So back to the drawing board.

I've contacted an Indian company, who make excellent reproduction tanks, to ask them about this very question, namely, a 1972 CB750-looking tank that will fit a 2011-2020 CB1100. But don't hold yer breath...

I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything. Meanwhile, I await Ninemeister's write-up on his K10/17. Happy days!
Funny you mention Indian tanks. I'm going to buy an aluminium tank for my BMW Cafe project and have talked to a couple of companies out there who can make me a tank for around £400-£500.
I'm sure if you sent a stock CB11 tank the same guys could either re-fashion it into a very passable (but larger) CB750 unit or make you a new one in alloy?
 
Thread starter
Ninemeister_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Darn it! On closely checking the dimensions of this remarkably cheap tank, whilst it has the LOOK of a CB750 tank, it's small - much smaller, just 9 litres! So back to the drawing board.

I've contacted an Indian company, who make excellent reproduction tanks, to ask them about this very question, namely, a 1972 CB750-looking tank that will fit a 2011-2020 CB1100. But don't hold yer breath...

I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything. Meanwhile, I await Ninemeister's write-up on his K10/17. Happy days!
Funny you mention Indian tanks. I'm going to buy an aluminium tank for my BMW Cafe project and have talked to a couple of companies out there who can make me a tank for around £400-£500.
I'm sure if you sent a stock CB11 tank the same guys could either re-fashion it into a very passable (but larger) CB750 unit or make you a new one in alloy?
Funny you mention Indian tanks. I'm going to buy an aluminium tank for my BMW Cafe project and have talked to a couple of companies out there who can make me a tank for around £400-£500.
I'm sure if you sent a stock CB11 tank the same guys could either re-fashion it into a very passable (but larger) CB750 unit or make you a new one in alloy?
That's the EXACT conversations that I've had with my Indian contact ('Bikenation'), funnily enough. He suggested that I send him a tank for him to fashion into what I suggest, but I've pointed out to him that, as far as I can tell, they would need TWO tanks - a CB750K2 to form the outer, visible shell, and a CB1100EX/RS bottom part to weld underneath. And as I'm not made of money (otherwise I'd buy the Whitehouse one I've been telling him about!!) I just cannot buy TWO tanks, plus their postage to India! I'll see if he comes back to me with anything.

An alloy replica CB750 tank has ENORMOUS appeal...!! :clap:
 
Back
Top