Where's the pop and ting??

DaSwami_imp

Been there
Thread starter
CB1100ers,

One thing I was really looking forward to was the old school pop and ting of the motor upon shut off. Honda made a deal about this with the thin 2mm cooling fins on the motor.

Well, I gotta tell ya, my motor is Silent Sally. My Motoguzzi V7 Stone made a satisfying cacophony of music when shut down, and even my SR400 makes a lot of noise when cooling off. Shoot, even my Triumph Scrambler makes more noise than the CB1100, and that ain't saying much!!

The CB just makes individual quiet little noises spaced at wide intervals, very very subtle.

Is my bike a freak? Or is this the norm?

Scott
 
Mine is quiet too.
 
After a good curvy roads ride mine tinks and pings cooling down, although I always thought it sounded more like exhaust pipes cooling than engine fins.
 
The ferret_imp said:
After a good curvy roads ride mine tinks and pings cooling down, although I always thought it sounded more like exhaust pipes cooling than engine fins.
This is exactly the way mine is. It does it more now that it's broke in a bit so that all it takes is a commute ride (9 miles for me) and it tinks every time.
 
Same with my Dlx. The only ting that happens is a slight pinging from the exhaust pipes on either side during cool down period. No sound emanates from the engine itself...! Guess others are having the same ting happen.... :dodgy:

fritz
 
DAC_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
After a good curvy roads ride mine tinks and pings cooling down, although I always thought it sounded more like exhaust pipes cooling than engine fins.
This is exactly the way mine is. It does it more now that it's broke in a bit so that all it takes is a commute ride (9 miles for me) and it tinks every time.
Ditto. Especially pronounced when I shut it off in the garage, can hear it very clearly.
 
Thread starter
veech_imp said:
My '13 tinks very frequently when shutting down-I love that sound!
Hmmm mine is a '14 maybe they changed something?

Don't care whether it is the exhaust or motor, the fact is Honda made it a marketing point...and it just doesn't happen.
 
this is very coincidental as just last night I was thinking the same thing after turning my bike off after a ride...my bike is quiet all the time...even when cooling down, and I also remember reading about the tings, and such that it would make when cooling down.... doesn't really matter to me but its interesting a few of us were thinking of that..
 
DaSwami_imp said:
veech_imp said:
My '13 tinks very frequently when shutting down-I love that sound!
Hmmm mine is a '14 maybe they changed something?

Don't care whether it is the exhaust or motor, the fact is Honda made it a marketing point...and it just doesn't happen.
Hmmm mine is a '14 maybe they changed something?

Don't care whether it is the exhaust or motor, the fact is Honda made it a marketing point...and it just doesn't happen.
Mines a 14 dlx...
 
It's not that obvious on mine, but then again I also don't hear the ocean roaring when I hear it like I do in that video which must have the mic volume up so high you can hear wind flowing over the mic. I have ridden a 750 Breva and never heard that when I turned it off. I have never heard any motorcycle tink as loud as that.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
It's not that obvious on mine, but then again I also don't hear the ocean roaring when I hear it like I do in that video which must have the mic volume up so high you can hear wind flowing over the mic. I have ridden a 750 Breva and never heard that when I turned it off. I have never heard any motorcycle tink as loud as that.

My 2013 V7 Stone did. Exactly like that, same sound and it was loud to the point of distracting if parked in the garage. But so very cool! :thumbsup:
 
DaSwami_imp said:
HERE just a short video, if you want to jump to the 36 second mark, this is the sound I was expecting!!

That is exactly the sound I get-just like the old days I remember. The longer I ride/hotter the motor gets, the more violent it becomes!
 
When turning off, the W800 really tinkles and you can hear the steel
and a lot more the exhaust system working a bit while cooling down.
Even after short rides. A kind of a symphony in its own way.

The CB, no matter how long I drive, never produces this to me welcomed sounds,
although Honda promises them in their advertisement. Maybe I don't work hard enough on my Honda
during the ride....

So, it is the way it is and I don't care.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top