There is something inexplicably pleasing about the CB1100

VLJ_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Every day lately I've been riding to work, alternating between the CB1100 and XSR900. I take the same back roads, and I can't put my finger on it, but the CB ride is just more enjoyable every time.

It doesn't really make sense, either. The XSR is so much lighter and faster. It does everything more easily, and the front brakes never squeal. It sits more comfortably, with the bar risers. Still, somehow, the CB just feels more right. It feels more sophisticated to me. It certainly loves the more sedate speeds I'm doing on those rides. It's perfectly smooth, composed, unruffled, and relaxed, while still imparting a subtle yet unmistakable mechanical authority, both in sound and feel.

I really love how it sounds and feels anywhere below seventy mph. I also really love when the sun shines on the chrome and aluminum dash, with those large, classic instruments. I only wish mine had the green faces, to make them even cooler-looking.

My buddy was standing beside her the other day with his arms folded, quietly studying her. He looks for things to nitpick. That's just what he does, with everything.

"Okay, I have to come up with something to criticize," he said, finally. "I know you say the tail light thing has to be that way, to match the '70s look and the federal regulations or whatever, but I wish it didn't stick out so far. That's the only thing I can find.

"Otherwise, I think I like this one more than the Yamaha. I really like the Yamaha, but this one is just..I don't know. This one is so cool."

Standing next to him, I nodded in agreement. I like the CB more than I like the Yamaha. The Yamaha ought to be a lot more fun, since it's so much faster, but I seem to find just as much enjoyment from the Honda's motor.

It's definitely growing on me. That big ol' lump in all its antiquated finery is just pure goodness, to the bone.

The brake squealing remains her only flaw. It's much less than before, following my dealer's fix, but still pops its annoying head up now and then. Three nights ago, it did it a lot. Last night, it didn't do it at all.

Grrrr.

The other night I ran the tank down to seven miles showing on the countdown meter, then it switched to the ' - - ' reading. Not sure what that reading is supposed to indicate in terms of remaining miles/fuel, but I pulled in shortly thereafter. Standing the bike up dead straight, I overfilled the tank, to where there was a bit of fuel in the filler area. It accepted 4.06 gallons, after 157 miles. So, a bit less than forty mpg, which surprised me, since there was no sportriding on that tankful of gas. Judging from the miles and fuel reading, I would have needed to eke out another sixteen miles before I would have been able to add the remaining four-tenths of a gallon of gas that my tank will supposedly hold.

I'm getting the feeling that I'll probably never be able to do the full 4.44 gallons my tank supposedly holds. Still, this was the first time I was able to add four gallons, so at least I know it holds more than the tank on the previous models, the '14 DLX excepted.

The main thing is that as I was riding those beautiful back roads yesterday I was asking myself, "What would I rather be riding right now? Is there anything?"

I knew the XSR wasn't the answer. I was wondering how the Ninja 1000 would feel on that same ride, before deciding that the CB's seating position and the cockpit visuals are just so much more pleasing. In the end, the only possibility I came up with was the R1200RT. That bike remains the one motorcycle I still really want, or I think I really want, anyway, mainly as a no-excuses, hardbags-equipped, shaft-drive, huge gas tank/great range, serious tourer.

Other than that one, and maybe the Z900, there is nothing else I'd rather ride now, and the Z900 would look like a gargoyle sitting beside Monica.

Once I arrived home and shut her off, I reluctantly hopped off. I couldn't walk away, either. I felt compelled to walk around her, taking in all her pretty details. I fired her right back up and blipped the throttle, just to hear her seductive little growl. Her motor looked so good, as did all that shining chrome. The tank was positively resplendent in all its dazzling red brilliance.

What a deeply beautiful thing, the CB1100. On the bike, off the bike...doesn't matter. Her beauty is so much more than skin-deep.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Well said and describes my feelings as well but you state them far better than I.
The same goes for me. Very well said. More rational people would probably think we're nuts to be so smitten with a motorcycle :D :D :D
Whatever it is that satisfies us so much is hard to explain. It's that intangible thing that you can't really put your finger on, but it's there.
I guess it's, "I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like when I see it."
 
I took my 14 DLX out for a spin last night while my baby backs were finishing up in the smoker. The sun was already down, and it was "coolish" temperature-wise, for Houston anyway. On Sunday night, the roads were fairly clear of others, and I really enjoyed putzing along at 40 miles an hour in 4th. So fun, with that same kind of "can't put my finger on it" feeling.

Really like my 14 DLX. Had it a few years now, and I just smile everytime I ride it. It's cool, and it just feels right. So all in agreement with you sir! :-)

Trey in Houston
 
VLJ, perfectly stated. I'm in full agreement.

You said this: "The Yamaha ought to be a lot more fun, since it's so much faster, but I seem to find just as much enjoyment from the Honda's motor."

I quickly discovered the same effect on my ex-Moto Guzzi V7 Classic, all 39 hp of it. A dog on paper but the most wonderful motorcycle once in its element, which for me was 60-70 mph on twisty two-lane back roads. The same roads we love to explore on the CB. But I will say this: the CB has a grace, a presence, that no other bike I've ridden can match.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger Wrote:the CB has a grace, a presence, that no other bike I've ridden can match.
Exactly. It's difficult to define, but it's there. I can feel it on every ride. It starts with the incredibly easy Slip-Assist clutch pull, and the way the bike pulls away so smoothly from a stop. This presence is felt through each turn, and every cresting of a hill, the motor alternately purring and growling in satisfaction over being set free to gallop and rejoice.

It feels like a high-end Acura, only with so much more mechanical soul.
 
VLJ_imp said:
LongRanger Wrote:the CB has a grace, a presence, that no other bike I've ridden can match.
Exactly. It's difficult to define, but it's there. I can feel it on every ride. It starts with the incredibly easy Slip-Assist clutch pull, and the way the bike pulls away so smoothly from a stop. This presence is felt through each turn, and every cresting of a hill, the motor alternately purring and growling in satisfaction over being set free to gallop and rejoice.

It feels like a high-end Acura, only with so much more mechanical soul.
This is exactly right - GOOD DESCRIPTION!! :)
 
I am pleased, that this bike is pleasing you so
 
I'm just wondering how you manage less than 40 mpg, when the (only) three tanks of gas I've put in my 2017 EX have produced over 50 mpg (calculated, not indicated) . . .?

It's a great bike.
 
Thread starter
No idea. I usually average between 44-46 mpg with this bike. The best I've seen was 53 mpg, but only for a short stint. It wasn't a full tank.

This last tank was all commuting miles, no sport rides at all. I was quite surprised to see that I averaged fewer than 40 mpg. Wasn't too particularly thrilled about it, either.
 
VLJ_imp said:
mickey is starting to sound like Moto Yoda.
:rofl: I told you many times it was a very satisfying bike to ride, despite the fact that it weighs too much and doesn't have enough HP or torque (according to some)

It's just a great all around motorcycle.

Like it more you will
 
VLJ, I find the CB drinks petrol in the city. It’s quite a different experience to touring.

I could get Guth to change Ferret’s user name to Yoda. A certain appeal it has. Hmm.
 
Inexplicable? Maybe it's explicable. Think about balance (as an acrobat i know a few things about balance...). The art of balance is the art of excellence. "Παν μέτρον άριστον" = everything in the right amount.
All performance characteristic must be in the right dose to achieve this mechanical synergy.
Look at the effort and talent Marquez put in to find grip and speed , to tame his beast, to find balance in the end. It's about what you are pursuing, absolute speed or absolute pleasure. Of course success, the best drug in the world.
Engineering is like cooking, the right ingredients in the right dose. Marketing suggests maximum power and minimal weight, but how about control and interaction.
VLJ I think that you and all of us here are very lucky to have the sentimental intelligence to understand and enjoy our bikes (please don't mention again squealing ..).
CB is such an amazing piece of mechanical art that I think it's normal , even for us to caught by surprise and wonder why we like it so much...
Maybe you are right after all, inexplicable....:worship:
 
I meant to add that, even after 3 and a bit years and lots of use, I still get all the feelings you describe. Wonderful bike.
 
Nice reaction update, VLJ. I have only 160 some miles on my '17. Between my '14 and the '17, I had a Street Twin for a couple of months. I thought I would enjoy a lighter bike...I did--in the garage. What I didn't care for was the Twin's lack of heft on at speeds of 65 plus with cross / head winds. Back on the CB1100...I can appreciate its sure footing.

To compare squeak notes...my front brake groaned loud the very first time...then, as you have described elsewhere, when braking lightly coming to a stop...but mine is only so slight, and doesn't happen often. Seems that when I try to make it happen, it won't.

I too enjoy the post ride "warm down" checking it out as I hang up mc gear. It's a beautiful machine at speed and on the stand.
 
No month passes without a new declaration of love to the CB......a extra thread for this would be a good idea...smile...
 
The ferret_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
mickey is starting to sound like Moto Yoda.
:rofl: I told you many times it was a very satisfying bike to ride, despite the fact that it weighs too much and doesn't have enough HP or torque (according to some)

It's just a great all around motorcycle.

Like it more you will
I'm happy not to belong to this group of 'some'.
Sure the CB is no lightweight but if you are used to it it's easy to handle. And power? More than enough. Depends on which motorbike you take for comparison. In my case I compare the CB to a Bullet and a W800. No surprise, concerning power the Honda is the absolute winner...

Wisedrum
 
I had the opportunity a few days ago to ride my CB1100 back to back with my new (to me) 2008 Triumph Sprint ST. Now the Sprint comes in at 461 in stock form but mine comes in at 435 due to the extensive diet the previous owner put it on. This included forged wheels, Ohlins shock, replacing most fasteners with Titanium as well as a lot of carbon.

The Sprint is light and turns in very fast which took a bit of getting used to. The seating position is, as expected, more forward than the CB but not so much that it unduly weights my wrists. With the intake modifications the bike has it pushes out 123 hp so it is faster. The bike is very pleasant to ride and the seating is comfortable. There is a set of Vario pegs that lower them by 1 1/4 inches creating nice leg room.

I won't go into great detail about the CB as you all know the basics. Given that it weighs some 80 lbs more it provides a very relaxing ride with more deliberate input required for turn in. My Corbin seat is comfortable and I still love the ride. It is more relaxed which is a good thing.

All in all these are two great bikes and fulfill all my motorcycle needs.

I know that when heading for West Virginia and surrounding States it is the Sprint that will be going. Besides the faster handling it has a full set of the Triumph panniers and top box. For a 9 day trip the extra capacity will be nice. However for
1 or 2 day trips in and around Indiana the CB will be the ride. My soft bags have plenty of room for these trips. Not being as hyper as the Sprint and given that curves are hard to find especially here in northern Indiana.

Love them both.
 
Back
Top